Spring Football 2016 Dates Released

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:A couple of friends out at practice today. Something new reported. Willie Fritz has NOPD at practice standing guard. Reminded him of Tommy Bowden.
Maybe Fritz wants to make certain there are no distractions. Wants players to concentrate solely on new techniques and schemes.....How refreshing.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TU23 wrote:Jax- we have a very friendly schedule this year. Wake sucked last year, ULL finished the season on a horrible losing streak, UMass only won 2 or 3 games, we should beat Southern easily. The AAC, while a step up from CUSA, is hardly a murderer's row. We get Navy early in the season when they'll be breaking in a lot of new players (senior laden team last year), Memphis is replacing a lot of people, Tulsa lost their clear #1 target in Keyarris Garrett. SMU will be better but hardly a great team and we play them at home. UCF lost every game last year. UConn is beatable and so is Temple (at home). The only game I think we'll be outclassed in is Houston.

While I'm not saying we'll win 10 games, 7 or 8 is really not out of the question. I have full confidence that we'll be 100% better in the kicking game. Eliminating those dumb mistakes could help us win at least one more game, if not 2. We should be about the same on defense. Offense, we'll have a better chance simply due to the scheme change. If we can improve on offense and special teams, this is a bowl team.

I, for one, was upset when we first announced Willie Fritz. I had wanted him when we hired CJ but thought that he was going to come in and cash in on one big job before he retired. I admit I was wrong. He (and Dannen) have done everything right so far. They don't know how to lose, and I think we have enough talent to get it done this year.
All of those negatives that you apply to our opponents apply to us as well: We're breaking in a new QB, the entire team is learning a new system on both sides of the ball. We lost a lot of depth to graduation and transfers, and our recruiting class was not deep. We sucked last year, and didn't have a better recruiting class than anyone, save Southern, on our schedule.

Yes, I agree that we left plenty of W's on the table under CJ due to bad game management, horrible special teams, and bone headed mistakes/penalties. But Fritz took over a team that regularly competed for the FCS national championship, ran the same scheme, and took a small step up to the Sunbelt. Here he comes in with a small squad, little time to recruit, and is changing EVERYTHING. To think that Wake, UMass, UConn, and Navy are easy W's would be to vastly under-rate the competition. For what it's worth, Wake Forest had a recruiting class ranked about 30 or so spots HIGHER than Tulane. And yes, we sucked last year.

I think 6 wins would be a HUGE step in the right direction. But rest assured, most of our opponents look at their schedule and think "Tulane, there's a W for us."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

SMU is our homecoming game, October 29th.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

posse wrote:
tpstulane wrote:A couple of friends out at practice today. Something new reported. Willie Fritz has NOPD at practice standing guard. Reminded him of Tommy Bowden.
Maybe Fritz wants to make certain there are no distractions. Wants players to concentrate solely on new techniques and schemes.....How refreshing.
The entire team and most of the coaches including WF were in attendance at last nights women's basketball game. I believe it helped our team win a close one. They were very enthusiastic in the stands so much so that security had to keep them in check. It's all part of team and family building. It was great to see!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't know that we'll pass as infrequently as GSU did, but clearly, Fritz intends on running the ball a whole lot.
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I don't know that we'll pass as infrequently as GSU did, but clearly, Fritz intends on running the ball a whole lot.
And that's fine with me. I am so excited about Fritz upgrading our program. The running game is going finally be a factor for us. Just think about all of the games that could have won with a decent running game in the past 4 years.
Ball Sumrall!
JerseyWave
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I don't know that we'll pass as infrequently as GSU did, but clearly, Fritz intends on running the ball a whole lot.
Just think about all of the games that could have won with a decent running game in the past 4 years.
I'm thinking about all the games that were lost by a pathetic "kicking game."
Eaglewave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
Just think about all of the games that could have won with a decent running game in the past 4 years.
I'm thinking about all the games that were lost by a pathetic "kicking game."
How in the hell did we go from Santos to sh-t over night? The kicking game was horrible and you are totally correct.
Ball Sumrall!
Hornetswave
Low Tide

The kicking game was the result of Coach Curtis Johnson . He was simply the worst coach at Tulane.
Wave QB
Swell

Hornetswave wrote:The kicking game was the result of Coach Curtis Johnson . He was simply the worst coach at Tulane.
We have had our share of terrible coaches at Tulane. Some wouldn't have taken us to a 2013 NOLA Bowl even with the bowl friendly schedule.
DrBox
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
How in the hell did we go from Santos to sh-t over night? .
By waiting until Santos finished his eligibility before recruiting his replacement. That is how.

Our kicker doesn't have the strongest leg, but he improved last year. I expect him to be pretty good this year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
By waiting until Santos finished his eligibility before recruiting his replacement. That is how.

Our kicker doesn't have the strongest leg, but he improved last year. I expect him to be pretty good this year.
It's not the only factor, but the Dome helped us recruit kickers. Plain and simple, no wind, artificial turf, perfect kicking conditions attracts place kickers. We had a long run of very good kickers, going back to Eddie Murray. As soon as we left the Dome, our kicking game sucked. Santos graduating had a whole lot to do with it, for sure.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

It's not the only factor, but the Dome helped us recruit kickers. Plain and simple, no wind, artificial turf, perfect kicking conditions attracts place kickers. We had a long run of very good kickers, going back to Eddie Murray. As soon as we left the Dome, our kicking game sucked. Santos graduating had a whole lot to do with it, for sure.
We didn't have much between Marler and Santos; and Santos didn't get good until he was a junior.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

We didn't have much between Marler and Santos; and Santos didn't get good until he was a junior.
Box is correct. Despite giving full scholarships to kickers and snappers during all that time we just kept getting bad ones. As you noted D we should have had a great advantage in recruiting at the position but our various coached just kept missing.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: Box is correct. Despite giving full scholarships to kickers and snappers during all that time we just kept getting bad ones. As you noted D we should have had a great advantage in recruiting at the position but our various coached just kept missing.
I remember specifically that Scelfo wouldn't give a scholarship to Chris Jackson of John Curtis, but signed some guy from North La. Jackson walked on to LSU, shined, while our guy was a stiff (although he somehow wobbled one through to beat Miss. State).
Jackson was also an excellent baseball player.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: We didn't have much between Marler and Santos; and Santos didn't get good until he was a junior.
Thevenot was not bad. And Santos was pretty damned good all four years. Freshman year I believe he was either all conference or second team all conference. But you are right: Cairo's Junior year is when he really opened eyes going 21 for 21 with two over 50 yards.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

I am very excited about NOPD detail outside of Yulman and the general lack of information coming from the NOLA news outlets & athletics department about the progress of the spring drills. The absence of incoherent babbling on how great everyone is performing is refreshing, and nary a reference or anecdote about the NFL.
The Spring Game should be an exercise in restraint in terms of strategy & tactics.
Last edited by wave97 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
wave97 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Can't wait to get the practice reports and updates. By the end of Spring Practices we should have a decent handle on what kind of offense to expect. I bet that it will score more than 17 Points/game.
Personally prefer that we show as little as possible of our new schemes and approach until the WF game.
+1
I am sure, Wally English will dispatch a Bob Davie wannabe assistant, to be on the roof of Ed Conroy's house in order to film all of the sessions closed to the public !!!...All "media types' will be issued "restricted view sun glasses" so they cannot get a total grasp of what Tulane will employ for next season.... now about those Georgia Southern or Sam Houston game tapes on you tube.....
I guess Coach Fritz knows more about practicing and preparing for a new season than golfnut does.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
wave97 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Can't wait to get the practice reports and updates. By the end of Spring Practices we should have a decent handle on what kind of offense to expect. I bet that it will score more than 17 Points/game.
Personally prefer that we show as little as possible of our new schemes and approach until the WF game.
+1
I am sure, Wally English will dispatch a Bob Davie wannabe assistant, to be on the roof of Ed Conroy's house in order to film all of the sessions closed to the public !!!...All "media types' will be issued "restricted view sun glasses" so they cannot get a total grasp of what Tulane will employ for next season.... now about those Georgia Southern or Sam Houston game tapes on you tube.....
I guess Coach Fritz knows more about practicing and preparing for a new season than golfnut does.
Gawd !!! .. I sure as hell hope he knows about preparing for a new season with a new team...I mean TD actually hired him to perform the job, since I did not apply. I think my age would be a factor in TD's decision....now about the collection I took up to help you purchase a sense of humor from craigslist....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
wave97 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
+1
Gawd !!! .. I sure as hell hope he knows about preparing for a new season with a new team...I mean TD actually hired him to perform the job, since I did not apply. I think my age would be a factor in TD's decision....now about the collection I took up to help you purchase a sense of humor from craigslist....
+1
All that guy does is go around insulting posters.
Happy Easter to you golfnut.
wave97
Swell

"I am sure, Wally English will dispatch a Bob Davie wannabe assistant, to be on the roof of Ed Conroy's house in order to film all of the sessions closed to the public !!!..."

We spied on Emory Bellard's MSU team, the "inventor" of the wishbone. As I recall, Coach Davie was hung out to dry for that one, Wally had no idea that a GA was sent to Starkville. It may seem ridiculous that we spied on them considering the pedigree of the head coach, but we were all grateful that Coach Davie made the attempt to gather info in spite of the outcome.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:"I am sure, Wally English will dispatch a Bob Davie wannabe assistant, to be on the roof of Ed Conroy's house in order to film all of the sessions closed to the public !!!..."

We spied on Emory Bellard's MSU team, the "inventor" of the wishbone. As I recall, Coach Davie was hung out to dry for that one, Wally had no idea that a GA was sent to Starkville. It may seem ridiculous that we spied on them considering the pedigree of the head coach, but we were all grateful that Coach Davie made the attempt to gather info in spite of the outcome.
Mr. 97.... That was the incident I was referencing....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !