Mr. Dannen on Basketball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

"There isn't any question it's not meeting anyone's expectations."

https://twitter.com/garlandgillen

ajcalhoun
Swell

Conroy's a dead man walking.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:"There isn't any question it's not meeting anyone's expectations."

The man doesn't beat around the bush, does he? I LOVE IT!
"There isn't any question it's not meeting anyone's expectations. If it's meeting someone's expectations, then that person needs expectations that are significantly higher, because mine are. For me, if we're not in the top half of the league, then it bears a careful evaluation of why not, and what it's going to take to get there. That's where I'm at with basketball right now," said Dannen.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

He is so sharp and has such vision of where he wants us to be and how to get there, love it. He probably already has his top 5 candidates ready to go.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

We're not in Kansas anymore.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We got a TD!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fox 8 just ran the entire story. TD said if a change is made it wouldn't happen until the end of the season. Said he won't fire a coach in the middle of the season. "You have to treat people right and firing someone in the middle of the season is not treating them right if they are doing things right". Said it would send a bad message to any potential future coach.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Fox 8 just ran the entire story. TD said if a change is made it wouldn't happen until the end of the season. Said he won't fire a coach in the middle of the season. "You have to treat people right and firing someone in the middle of the season is not treating them right if they are doing things right". Said it would send a bad message to any potential future coach.
I'm sure EC will find that quite comforting.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Sooooo is Troy Dannen banned from the censorship forum? I mean, civilized people who represent Tulane don't discuss firing coaches in polite company, amirite?
GreenGears
Low Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:Sooooo is Troy Dannen banned from the censorship forum? I mean, civilized people who represent Tulane don't discuss firing coaches in polite company, amirite?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenGears wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Sooooo is Troy Dannen banned from the censorship forum? I mean, civilized people who represent Tulane don't discuss firing coaches in polite company, amirite?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The memo just arrrived ; " be advised that TD is now on 'double secret probation' for an undisclosed period of time. TD's vocal attitude and opinions are unacceptable, and until his attitude improves, the flogging's will continue and his pleas for help and forgiveness will be ignored"...signed; Big Yogi & The Yogettes....
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
"There isn't any question it's not meeting anyone's expectations. If it's meeting someone's expectations, then that person needs expectations that are significantly higher, because mine are. For me, if we're not in the top half of the league, then it bears a careful evaluation of why not, and what it's going to take to get there. That's where I'm at with basketball right now," said Dannen.
This is more convincing than the rumors about CJ's firing before the last football game of the season. Our AD has a vision, and Conroy is not living up to it. He's going to be history very shortly after the last horn of the season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bearwave
High Tide

Heard the other board has now banned Dannen. :D
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
GreenLantern
Riptide

Funny! Good post, JJ. Obviously Troy Dannen has had an immunization inoculation preventing the contraction of Stockholm Syndrome.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
This is more convincing than the rumors about CJ's firing before the last football game of the season. Our AD has a vision, and Conroy is not living up to it. He's going to be history very shortly after the last horn of the season.
Yeah this is true. Conroy is a goner.

But that's not really "the takeaway" from Dannen's comments. Dannen's comments are far more pointed at Rick Dickson and the culture of failure that has permeated Tulane for too long.

This is a message to fans, not so much about the basketball program specifically, but about a new way to think about Tulane Athletics.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
Funny! Good post, JJ. Obviously Troy Dannen has had an immunization inoculation preventing the contraction of Stockholm Syndrome.
It's not as funny as it is sad. Again, that forum contributed significantly to the problem that Dannen is specifically trying to address.

Also, this is 1000000000% related to Stockholm Syndrome. Dannen is sending a message that expectations have been too low for too long. That has come from Gibson Hall, Dickson and the censorship forum, and Dannen is pushing back hard against all of the above.

It's a new day and holy $hit is this refreshing.
chain gang x man
Swell

A friend of mine, who has close ties with someone in the athletic department, told me that Dannen wants all ties to the Cowen/Dickson era to be removed. This is coming from Mr Fitts. Some hanger's on are looking for openings at other schools.

Fresh new start
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Wavetime wrote:"There isn't any question it's not meeting anyone's expectations."

The man doesn't beat around the bush, does he? I LOVE IT!
Ed Conroy's conference record and finish in the league:

CUSA

2010-11, 3-13, 12th
2011-12, 3/13, 12th
2012-13, 6-10, 9th
2013-2014, 8-8, 7th

AAC (11 teams)

2014-15, 6-12, 7th
2015-16 (to date), 3-11, 10th

Overall at Tulane he is 28-67 in league play for a winning percentage of........ 0.294 :o
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

chain gang x man wrote:A friend of mine, who has close ties with someone in the athletic department, told me that Dannen wants all ties to the Cowen/Dickson era to be removed. This is coming from Mr Fitts. Some hanger's on are looking for openings at other schools.

Fresh new start
That's why when organizations are broken they do what's called a "house cleaning". And exactly why Cowen/Dickson wanted the opposite.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:A friend of mine, who has close ties with someone in the athletic department, told me that Dannen wants all ties to the Cowen/Dickson era to be removed. This is coming from Mr Fitts. Some hanger's on are looking for openings at other schools.

Fresh new start
That's why when organizations are broken they do what's called a "house cleaning". And exactly why Cowen/Dickson wanted the opposite.
JJ I actually agree with this post and the response to my post above. The idea of breaking all ties to the Cow/Dick regime is incredibly refreshing and astounding after the first 16 months of the Fitts era. Fitts is proving to NOT be a puppet of the Cowen appointed and self-gratifying board. As recently as November I thought the new regime was more of the same old same ole. Now I think Fitts is cleaning house, once he thoroughly understood how decrepit the house was.

I think a whole lot of Cowen's luster was lost when it came out that the University had been operating at a loss of somewhere between $15-20 million for the last few years of Cowen's presidency. I hope this goes further and someone investigates Cowen (and Dickson's) bank accounts in wake of that scandal and the building of Yulman. The fact that they couldn't put an exact number out on the loss speaks volumes.

Troy Dannen is a HUGE improvement over Rick Dickson. Let's hope Fitts, despite his doofy and clumsy public speaking, is as good as the last few months have lead us to believe.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Fresh new start
JJ I actually agree with this post and the response to my post above. The idea of breaking all ties to the Cow/Dick regime is incredibly refreshing and astounding after the first 16 months of the Fitts era. Fitts is proving to NOT be a puppet of the Cowen appointed and self-gratifying board. As recently as November I thought the new regime was more of the same old same ole. Now I think Fitts is cleaning house, once he thoroughly understood how decrepit the house was.

I think a whole lot of Cowen's luster was lost when it came out that the University had been operating at a loss of somewhere between $15-20 million for the last few years of Cowen's presidency. I hope this goes further and someone investigates Cowen (and Dickson's) bank accounts in wake of that scandal and the building of Yulman. The fact that they couldn't put an exact number out on the loss speaks volumes.

Troy Dannen is a HUGE improvement over Rick Dickson. Let's hope Fitts, despite his doofy and clumsy public speaking, is as good as the last few months have lead us to believe.

ROLL WAVE!
:yes:
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fresh new start
This is so refreshing! CJ's football program has already been purged. In a few weeks we will finally be rid of Conroy.
DrBox
Riptide

Fresh new start
Well, Fitts has been sweeping out Gibson Hall for quite a while, as I tried to point out back then.

As for Dannen wanting the place cleaned out, does that include Burke? Kind of hope not.
Also, Dickson's #2 (who seems like a reasonable person to me) and his SID are still around.
I guess he's giving them time to look elsewhere, which goes along with the "treating people right" comment in the video above.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
This is more convincing than the rumors about CJ's firing before the last football game of the season.
That was a certainty. It had been decided weeks before. Some people didn't believe it because they convinced themselves that Cowen was still running things from his basement.