2016 Football Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

Wake just announced their non-conference dates.

We open on the road at Wake on September 1, 2016, a Thursday.

Will be a winnable game for us. Should be. Wake has a good defense but cannot move the ball much. We will see very quickly what the new coach can do.

GreenLantern
Riptide

We interrupt the Fat Tuesday celebration to bring you the finalized 2016 football schedule.

Anyone brave (foolish) enough to make a prediction before spring practice? (Hint: we've an excellent chance to be 5-0).

Afterthought: Hope we're able to schedule those three September games in the evening hours. If not, there will be some hot times in Yulman.

RobertM320
Green Wave

Back to back Friday night games. Only time we play two consecutive road games, we get a short week, which sucks.

My out on a limb, dead of winter, totally blind guess:

6-6, 3-5 in conference. We lose at UMass, but beat Navy, (Tulsa or SMU), and Temple. Bowl eligible.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
dpm wave
Swell

Best case 8-4 and go to Birmingham vs SEC opponent.
Next best case 6-6 and to to Cure Bowl in Orlando vs GA Southern.
Or even, 7-5 and play USM in Miami or St. Pete.
greenphantom
Swell

There isn't a doubt in my mind that we'll be in a bowl game despite having a huge question mark at QB.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Good possibility of being bowl-eligible by mid-Oct. I like the front-end of our AAC schedule much more than the last 3 games considering graduations and coaching changes of our opponents. Houston, Temple and an up-and-coming UConn might be the toughest games on the schedule.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
Jaxwave
Swell

Please stop everyone. All the teams you have us beating are circling us as one of their wins even UMass. We could lose to every dang team on that schedule and will lose the opener at Wake.
wavemania
Surge

Too many people drinking the green cool-aid. I just hope we can be more competitive and actually score some points on offense
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wavemania wrote:Too many people drinking the green cool-aid. I just hope we can be more competitive and actually score some points on offense

I agree...next year will be an "RD" year...."Tulane does not judge by W's or L's".... just to see Professional Coaching..the basics executed properly and not quitting at half time will be a success.... that said, I think 6 wins is doable, I also think 8 L's could happen.. there are teams that are not head and shoulders above Tulane talent wise..SMU, Tulsa, UMass,Temple, Wake, UCF, Southern, ULL, UConn..are all winnable...The 2016 success will happen if the Jr's and Sr's on the roster get their lazy azz's in gear and the Special Teams are brought up to D-1 standards. I was at Golds Gym yesterday, a former O-Lineman for Texas works out there, he had a shirt on that read... "O'Lineman...fat guys with an attitude".... this year will be about "ATTITUDE".. on both sides of the ball and in every aspect of the game...the right attitude and a few breaks, and who knows what may happen.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
threeputt
High Tide

4-8
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

threeputt wrote:4-8
ThreePutt ...ya need to join us this spring in Houston for the NFL Legends Golf Tournament, should be in early May this year...we can discuss the fortunes or misfortunes of Tulane football over a few Power Aides ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

wavemania wrote:Too many people drinking the green cool-aid. I just hope we can be more competitive and actually score some points on offense
Only at Tulane is hoping for a 6-6 season labeled 'drinking the Kool-Aid'. I suggest we mix up a couple more pitchers.

Making any prediction at this early date is somewhat silly and based solely on optimism about Dannen/Fritz. We don't know if we have a competent starting QB. That said, we've been drinking horsepizz for so long that Kool-Aid sounds like a refreshing change.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:We interrupt the Fat Tuesday celebration to bring you the finalized 2016 football schedule.

Anyone brave (foolish) enough to make a prediction before spring practice? (Hint: we've an excellent chance to be 5-0).

Afterthought: Hope we're able to schedule those three September games in the evening hours. If not, there will be some hot times in Yulman.

I think we have a good chance for getting 6 wins, but it won't be easy, as our schedule is way tougher than it appears at first glance. We could easily only win 4-5 games since there are only two pushovers (if that).
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

One loss in regular time for this regular season. tossup for OT and post season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We really need to be 4-2 in the first 6 games to get bowl eligible. That's asking a whole lot for a team making a transition like we are; to win early (against a favored Wake Forest team on the road, for example) would be huge. I hope the team buys in quickly and minimizes mistakes and stupid penalties as we start the Fritz era. 6-6 would be a huge step, anything better would be icing on the cake. As others have noted, most circle Tulane on the schedule as a "W". I'm sure Wake Forest thinks they're going to start the season with one.

What a long way from the start of the season, lol, and I'm trying to project the teams' record!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:We really need to be 4-2 in the first 6 games to get bowl eligible. That's asking a whole lot for a team making a transition like we are; to win early (against a favored Wake Forest team on the road, for example) would be huge. I hope the team buys in quickly and minimizes mistakes and stupid penalties as we start the Fritz era. 6-6 would be a huge step, anything better would be icing on the cake. As others have noted, most circle Tulane on the schedule as a "W". I'm sure Wake Forest thinks they're going to start the season with one.

What a long way from the start of the season, lol, and I'm trying to project the teams' record!
amazin'....Tulane might have 7 homecoming games !!!!
GreenGears
Low Tide

We're going to need spring practice to be a series of football oriented Rocky montages if we hope to win more than six games. Every other team and their fans are circling us on their calendar as a win.
wave97
Swell

Something tells me that we're not going to be putting on the lipstick for a pay check and a 2 for 1 with our OOC schedule going forward. OU in 2017 may well be a turning point for the program.
nawlinspete
Riptide

wave97 wrote:Something tells me that we're not going to be putting on the lipstick for a pay check and a 2 for 1 with our OOC schedule going forward. OU in 2017 may well be a turning point for the program.
C'mon guys. Cut the new coaches some slack. We want to win but we need a little patience and luck, too.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
wave97 wrote:Something tells me that we're not going to be putting on the lipstick for a pay check and a 2 for 1 with our OOC schedule going forward. OU in 2017 may well be a turning point for the program.
C'mon guys. Cut the new coaches some slack. We want to win but we need a little patience and luck, too.
It is definitely plausible to make a game out of OU in 2017. If we develop the young guys up front we stand a chance. Our current inventory of "skilled" players is pretty damned good. However, without someone to replace Tanzel on Defense and without KSM, Keeyon, Leeward and others getting their games together it's an absurd notion.
At some point the team will understand that they have what it takes to compete with anyone with their starting roster. The Sooner, the better.
Jaxwave
Swell

Oklahoma not plausible. Haven't made Duke or GT games plausible. Hope for survival.
wave97
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:Oklahoma not plausible. Haven't made Duke or GT games plausible. Hope for survival.
We're in for a ride. We'll be prepared. What's Bruce Springsteen's line? "Like a dog who's been beat too much..."
nawlinspete
Riptide

has been announced. Update from TBA.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
dpm wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:Oklahoma not plausible. Haven't made Duke or GT games plausible. Hope for survival.
Stockholm Syndrome.

You won't see me predicting any win against OK, but calling it not plausible is the mindset that Dannen is trying to change.

In Fritz' 2nd season at GSU, they came within a TD of beating UGA, and CWF is coming into much better talent than he did at GSU, where upperclassman were recruited before GSU was even D1A.