Ivan Maisel Addresses Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

and other AAC schools..."They need support that isn't tied to results and the opponents on the field."

And Scott Kushner's article last night said no amount of PR would work without winning.

Dannen's job has been made extraordinarily more difficult by the malfeasance of Cowen's and Dickson's shared mission of destroying Tulane in all ways possible.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:and other AAC schools..."They need support that isn't tied to results and the opponents on the field."

And Scott Kushner's article last night said no amount of PR would work without winning.

Dannen's job has been made extraordinarily more difficult by the malfeasance of Cowen's and Dickson's shared mission of destroying Tulane in all ways possible.
Their malfeasance, neglect and incompetence were well known throughout the business.
JTLiuzza
Swell

"They need support that isn't tied to results and the opponents on the field."

That's about as idiotic a statement as I've seen. You didn't link the article so maybe I'm missing the proper context.

What kind of imbecile supports anything with absolutely no concern for results? Even the Cowenistas who bought into the "wins and losses don't matter" stupidity, but still donate money and buy tickets, are doing so for some reason, based on an expectation that the monies will serve the greater good, somehow, via "results" not related to W-L records and "opponents on the field."

Not being concerned about "results" is antithetical to the very idea of collegiate athletics. The importance of "results" is why I believe every football stadium, baseball diamond, basketball arena... in the universe has one of those devices known as a scoreboard.

Losing is part of the equation for any school. You don't pull your support for your school because of a few lousy seasons. The underlying assumption being that the school actually WANTS to win but, for whatever reason, doesn't have the right pieces in place at the present time and more importantly, that they're working on fixing it.

But when it becomes clear that a school cares not a whit about blow out after blow out, losing season after losing season, and even says explicitly that "wins and losses don't matter," what would Mr. Maisel say is the reason to continue to offer support? The kids are getting an education and graduating? So are the rest of the kids on campus. Maybe I should cut a check to the math department.

To me a loser athletic department, which Tulane embodied in spades, tells everyone, including student/athletes, that it's ok to lose. That is poison and a dereliction of duty to young minds. Anybody who willfully supports that is complicit, which is why I pulled ALL support when I finally figured it out.

Hopefully things are changing. In the meantime, if Maisel wants to learn a lot about what happens when blind support is offered that isn't at all tied to "results and the opponents on the field," I suggest he begin interviewing Tulane athlete alumni and then long time fans, both being groups who were completely screwed by that philosophy. The biggest victims being the student athletes, who have just a few short years as eligible collegiate athletes and who may not realize they've been sucked into the Tulane loser vortex until it's too late.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Show Me
Tsunami

JTLiuzza wrote:"They need support that isn't tied to results and the opponents on the field."

That's about as idiotic a statement as I've seen. You didn't link the article so maybe I'm missing the proper context.

What kind of imbecile supports anything with absolutely no concern for results? Even the Cowenistas who bought into the "wins and losses don't matter" stupidity, but still donate money and buy tickets, are doing so for some reason, based on an expectation that the monies will serve the greater good, somehow, via "results" not related to W-L records and "opponents on the field."

Not being concerned about "results" is antithetical to the very idea of collegiate athletics. The importance of "results" is why I believe every football stadium, baseball diamond, basketball arena... in the universe has one of those devices known as a scoreboard.

Losing is part of the equation for any school. You don't pull your support for your school because of a few lousy seasons. The underlying assumption being that the school actually WANTS to win but, for whatever reason, doesn't have the right pieces in place at the present time and more importantly, that they're working on fixing it.

But when it becomes clear that a school cares not a whit about blow out after blow out, losing season after losing season, and even says explicitly that "wins and losses don't matter," what would Mr. Maisel say is the reason to continue to offer support? The kids are getting an education and graduating? So are the rest of the kids on campus. Maybe I should cut a check to the math department.

To me a loser athletic department, which Tulane embodied in spades, tells everyone, including student/athletes, that it's ok to lose. That is poison and a dereliction of duty to young minds. Anybody who willfully supports that is complicit, which is why I pulled ALL support when I finally figured it out.

Hopefully things are changing. In the meantime, if Maisel wants to learn a lot about what happens when blind support is offered that isn't at all tied to "results and the opponents on the field," I suggest he begin interviewing Tulane athlete alumni and then long time fans, both being groups who were completely screwed by that philosophy. The biggest victims being the student athletes, who have just a few short years as eligible collegiate athletes and who may not realize they've been sucked into the Tulane loser vortex until it's too late.
Remember Jonathan/Pete doesn't know how to post a link. But he knows how to start a new thread for everything.
This is worthless without the link.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hey, Let Me Tell You have you ever heard of Ivan Maisel of ESPN ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

JTL, did not say to not be concerned with results. You missed the point. The P5 Conferences schools have fan bases who attend games because they are fans, irrespective of the record or the opponent. The AAC, including Tulane, does not. Maisel is saying the AAC will remain "G" until AAC teams are well attended routinely game in and game out no matter the opponent or either team's record on game day.
Show Me
Tsunami

Yes Jonathan. Now where's that specific link?
Last edited by Show Me on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

On ESPN's website. Duh....
Show Me
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:Yes Jonathan. Now where's that specific link?
There's 1000's post the link.
JTLiuzza
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:JTL, did not say to not be concerned with results. You missed the point. The P5 Conferences schools have fan bases who attend games because they are fans, irrespective of the record or the opponent. The AAC, including Tulane, does not. Maisel is saying the AAC will remain "G" until AAC teams are well attended routinely game in and game out no matter the opponent or either team's record on game day.

"did not say to not be concerned with results"

"They need support that isn't tied to results and the opponents on the field."

That's exactly what you posted.

It is you who missed the point. The P5 schools have fan bases that can be assured that their athletic departments actually give a crap about WINNING. The notion of not actually caring about winning would be foreign to them and they would not for one moment tolerate it. To tender support not tied to results and the opponents on the field is STUPID. Everyone who has done that for Tulane over the past decades, myself included, is guilty.

Again, what you cherry picked out of an article somewhere which I'm not inclined to hunt down may be way out of context.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dear Ivan...or should we call you Captain Obvious
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !