Baseball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

Tulane v LSU and Houston v Tulane twice.

chain gang x man
Swell

When does practice start ?
Our roster is at 41 do we have to cut 6 players to reach the 35 limit or can we go over since guys like Kaplan are injured
Will practice be open to the public

Our first game is Feb 19 which happens to be Tookie Spann's birthday. It would be nice if something can be done to recognize the day
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:When does practice start ?
Our roster is at 41 do we have to cut 6 players to reach the 35 limit or can we go over since guys like Kaplan are injured
Will practice be open to the public

Our first game is Feb 19 which happens to be Tookie Spann's birthday. It would be nice if something can be done to recognize the day
I suggest contacting the Tulane Athletic dept or the Baseball office directly if you would like to have Mr Spahnn honored at the game on his birthday.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
billow
High Tide

Coach Pierce told me that he would not reduce his roster until the night before 1st game. He wants to make sure everyone had a realistic opportunity.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Changes to Turchin are possibly coming in the off season! Plans are in the works for building a Green Monster wall in right field. The right fence will be moved in 15 feet once the towering wall is constructed. The bullpens will be moved behind the screened lower fence. The team will be built to fit the new dimensions in right field. That meaning we will be heavy with left handed power hitters similar to what Florida St has. A new turf is also coming. Stay tuned!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Changes to Turchin are possibly coming in the off season! Plans are in the works for building a Green Monster wall in right field. The right fence will be moved in 15 feet once the towering wall is constructed. The bullpens will be moved behind the screened lower fence. The team will be built to fit the new dimensions in right field. That meaning we will be heavy with left handed power hitters similar to what Florida St has. A new turf is also coming. Stay tuned!
Let's go "old school"....shades of Wrigley with a manually operated scoreboard and IVY growing on the fences.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Changes to Turchin are possibly coming in the off season! Plans are in the works for building a Green Monster wall in right field. The right fence will be moved in 15 feet once the towering wall is constructed. The bullpens will be moved behind the screened lower fence. The team will be built to fit the new dimensions in right field. That meaning we will be heavy with left handed power hitters similar to what Florida St has. A new turf is also coming. Stay tuned!
Let's go "old school"....shades of Wrigley with a manually operated scoreboard and IVY growing on the fences.....
Not sure what the Ivy growing season would be like in New Orleans, but in Chicago the ivy looks pretty bleak until around the middle to end of May. Love the concept, though, Woody. The manually operated scoreboard and maybe even some quirks in the fence would be awesome.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Not sure what the Ivy growing season would be like in New Orleans, but in Chicago the ivy looks pretty bleak until around the middle to end of May. Love the concept, though, Woody. The manually operated scoreboard and maybe even some quirks in the fence would be awesome.
I would think with the NOLA climate, IVY would grow like fungus and algae in a petri dish...come to think of it...apply for a federal grant to study the growth of IVY in a semi tropic climate... it would be a major boon to the baseball programs money !!!...one more thought...since the feds don't seem to be very intelligent, apply for a grant to study the growth of artificial field turf in football stadiums in the NOLA climate...that should help the bottom line
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Riptide

I spent a lot of time on theGreen Monster at Fenway one summer.Great view of the park, bar service and contribute with these premium tickets to Boston charities. We need to see if our score board and sound system needs upgrading. Condition of artificial turf. Freshen bathrooms and concessions. Add more. Extend the canopy behind home plate and add more chair back seating.
chain gang x man
Swell

The scoreboard definitely needs to be upgraded Seems like last year there was a section that was out and never fixed
I hate to see the bullpen moved since my seats are right by the bullpen plate, but it is too narrow for 2 pitchers to warm up side by side especially a right hander next to the wall

Maybe we can have fireworks go off after every home run and really get the NIMBYs upset

Don't do anything to block the view of the shed crew ( The Langensteins )
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I would think with the NOLA climate, IVY would grow like fungus and algae in a petri dish...come to think of it...apply for a federal grant to study the growth of IVY in a semi tropic climate... it would be a major boon to the baseball programs money !!!...one more thought...since the feds don't seem to be very intelligent, apply for a grant to study the growth of artificial field turf in football stadiums in the NOLA climate...that should help the bottom line
On a more serious note, I'm under the impression that Field Turf has an ugly skeleton in the closet. I'm hoping the CDC and others are studying the long term affects of sliding, diving and breaking down chopped up tires with the human body. There's many that think this is a cancer-causing problem that needs to be addressed very, very quickly. Soccer players in general, and goalies in particular are at risk. I don't know that other sports, such as football, have been studied.

Remember that Field Turf was hailed as an answer to a problem that wouldn't go away: deteriorating tires in landfills gave off carcinogens. Now we have young (and sometimes not so young) athletes sliding, burning, and pulverizing chopped up bits of tires that through skin abrasions enter their bodies. I don't claim to know the answers, but there's a whole lot of questions to be asked, and strong lobby against a timely response.

The same episode of E60 that ran the segment on Matt Forte had a segment immediately following on Field Turf.

We need to be sure that Field Turf isn't setting our athletes up for cancer shortened lives.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:The scoreboard definitely needs to be upgraded Seems like last year there was a section that was out and never fixed
I hate to see the bullpen moved since my seats are right by the bullpen plate, but it is too narrow for 2 pitchers to warm up side by side especially a right hander next to the wall

Maybe we can have fireworks go off after every home run and really get the NIMBYs upset

We have a brand new video scoreboard this season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:The scoreboard definitely needs to be upgraded Seems like last year there was a section that was out and never fixed

We have a brand new video scoreboard this season.
Fantastic BATTER UP PLAY BALL !!!!!!!!!
Aegis
High Tide

I am stoked about this season. I think the Wave has a very good chance the win the conference, and move to a number two spot in regional play. Made my reservations for the Texas weekend in Austin And plan to be in NOLA for Pepperdine.
This will be a good year as we are an experienced team with good talent. Look out AAC the Wave is a rolling.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aegis wrote:I am stoked about this season. I think the Wave has a very good chance the win the conference, and move to a number two spot in regional play. Made my reservations for the Texas weekend in Austin And plan to be in NOLA for Pepperdine.
This will be a good year as we are an experienced team with good talent. Look out AAC the Wave is a rolling.

when in Austin, Make sure you have dinner at one of "Jack Allens Kitchen" and spend an evening at "The Oasis" on Lake Travis
Jonathan
Riptide

We need to defeat LSU twice and also U La La. Definitely want to make the Austin trip and thanks for the suggestions. Let us know at what hotel the Tulane team will be staying.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:We need to defeat LSU twice and also U La La. Definitely want to make the Austin trip and thanks for the suggestions. Let us know at what hotel the Tulane team will be staying.
U can contact the Tulane Athletic dept for info regarding the Tulane hotel.... If you have not made reservations yet, I strongly suggest U begin your search, the Tulane - Texas games are the same week end as SXSW which is like Mardi Gras...it is two weeks of Movie Premiers, Music and Tech innovations, Business Forums...Companies attend from all over the world and Hollywood comes to Austin....some communities close to Austin U may find hotel rooms: Round Rock... ....Georgetown....Buda...Kyle...Manor...Bastrop...Cedar Park....Leander...Taylor...Hutto...San Marcos
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
chain gang x man
Swell

Practice starts today

Are you ready for some baseball !!!!!!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Got a report that first practice went well. Merrill and Massey each pitched a couple of innings, each walked the first batter they faced, then each mowed 'em down pretty good. Then, the hitting got better with Kaplan sending a shot to the center field wall. A beautiful day for baseball and it'll be nice for Practice #2 tomorrow.
chain gang x man
Swell

Glad to see Kaplan swinging the bat
Fantastic to see him come back fro Tmmy John surgery so soon

What time is practice?
Houma de Wave
Swell

Not sure what time practice is tomorrow. Interviews with Coach Pierce, Corey Merrill and Stephen Alemais are on the Tulane website.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man
Swell

Strength in numbers:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... eball-team

The best fact about these numbers is that the depth this year is guys that are actually experienced D1 caliber players. Two years ago our lineup had as many as 7 freshmen and the bench was guys filling out the roster probably happy to be playing college baseball but not D1 players. Last year the backup shortstop was our bullpen catcher. This years freshmen will be able to adjust the the college game and won't be pressed into playing before they are ready. Coach Pierce still has to reduce the roster by 6 to meet NCAA limit of 35 players. Practice over the next two weeks is going to be intense.