ULL game 2016

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
exflash
High Tide

Have they decided if the game would be in the Dome or in the Campus stadium? Somebody had posted that the seating only held 22K-25K and that would be a waste not to get the # of Tulane and UL fans into the game! I can't remember the Bowl game's attendance but it was a lot more than 25K!!!

RobertM320
Green Wave

You can't even leave us be on Christmas?

Its not going to be in the Dome. There never has been a discussion of that, and there won't be. Why would we want 20K fans in red when we can limit you to your allotment and sell out the rest of Yulman to TU fans? Give up our home field advantage and lessen our chances of winning for a few pennies? I don't think so. This isn't like LSU playing TCU in Jerry's World with a big dollar commitment from the networks.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

The only UL is the University of Louisville and Tulane at the end of the 19thcentury created by the state legislature the University of Louisiana. When Paul Tulane made major donations to the school, the state legislature converted it from public to private and added Tulane to the front of the name; now Tulane University of Louisiana. Your school for the 100 time is named the University of Louisiana at Lafayette ULL the sister and companion school of the University of Louisiana at Monroe ULM. You have second tier academics,in a loser conference The Sunbelt,small market area and endowment. Also a low annual athletic budget. Tulane has risen to the number 41 national academic university in the nation. Its endowment of over a billion dollars is the largest in the AAC with SMU and its annual athletic budget is over $41m a year.. The Tulane reputation and prestige is known around the world particularly in Latin America. Tulane is located in one of the premier destination cities in the nation and the world. We have raised over $120m over the last few years by cash gifts from alumni,supporters and friends for our athletic plant. We do not use state bonds or student fees.

We will be playing the game in our 30000 seat new state of the art Yulman Stadium on campus. Why. Home field advantage, we keep parking,concessions and other revenues and great tail gating for Tulane and ULL on campus near stadium. Usually excellent New Orleans live musical entertainers during tail gate.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Jonathan wrote:The only UL is the University of Louisville and Tulane at the end of the 19thcentury created by the state legislature the University of Louisiana. Your school for the 100 time is named the University of Louisiana at Lafayette ULL the sister school of the University of Louisiana at Monroe ULM. You have second tier academics,in a loser conference The Sunbelt,small market area and endowment. Also a low annual athletic budget.
Merry Christmas you old goat. :lol:
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
exflash
High Tide

Well Christmas is kinda our season ---We are the largest Public school of Catholics' percentage in the country---Well I think we are!!!
Wave QB
Swell

I really hope we beat the living hell out of ULL like we use to do even when we were struggling. This two game streak isn't sitting well with me. I do like Hudspeth and love what he has done to ULL's football program.

With that being said, this game should only be played in the Superdome if we are in the New Orleans Bowl.
ccap05
Surge

This is a rather unique situation. There is no rivalry between UL-Lafayette and Tulane and there was never a historical rivalry between Tulane and the precursor's to the University in Lafayette (University of Southwestern Louisiana, Southwestern Louisiana Institute of Liberal and Technical Learning, and Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute). Tulane's historic rivals have been LSU and to some extent USM although I am hard pressed to point out a rival today. Lafayette has ULM as their main rival (actual and in conference) with McNeese as their "Battle of Southwest LA I-10 Corridor" rival. UL-L fans have a chip on their shoulder based on conference alignment, a perception that Tulane is unfairly seen as the second major athletic program in the State while they are seen as another double directional, and a realization that at the end of the day they are located in Lafayette. However, the folk's from Lafayette do travel well when they come to NOLA, especially when they play in the NOLA bowl where they have an outstanding three victories which pretty much makes up the corpus of football highlights for their program. Basically Lafayette fans like to visit New Orleans and, to some extent, identify with it as their preferred in state big city. They certainly follow and root for the Saints and all brag a high school senior's familiarity with Bourbon Street. ULL fans see traveling to NOLA as an exotic, exciting event (much like some Tulane fans love traveling to New York or Paris and have a faux familiarity with those cities) and love to tell the stories of their visits to NOLA to incredulous friends and family of NOLA. You can regularly find on the ULL Fanboard repeats of various versions of the biggest event in the history of the USL/ULL fan experience- the 2013 impromptu meeting of either 17 or 18 (depending on the version of the story) ULL fans which gave rise to mini-pep rally's in a NOLA Rouse's parking lot prior to the NOLA bowl (the memories were not only of the festive Red shirts which overwhelmed the shopping cart bay but also of the fact that Rouses was having a special on spiced chicken wings- a delicacy they love to sneak into stadiums). I look forward to welcoming the ULL fans to New Orleans next year although there is 0 chance the game will be moved to the Dome. I have heard rumors that Laffy is looking into a series with USM with a game to be played in Hattisburg followed by a game in New Orleans and this may be a Dome Game. In any case, it is true that the folks from Lafayette love visiting NOLA and we can hope for some of their fans to make the trip next year. In addition to giving the Lafayette folks a chance to visit New Orleans and the many wings restaurants in the NOLA region, their fans will no doubt be excited about the rare chance to play on TV on a night besides Thursday.
Wave QB
Swell

ccap05 wrote:This is a rather unique situation. There is no rivalry between UL-Lafayette and Tulane and there was never a historical rivalry between Tulane and the precursor's to the University in Lafayette (University of Southwestern Louisiana, Southwestern Louisiana Institute of Liberal and Technical Learning, and Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute). Tulane's historic rivals have been LSU and to some extent USM although I am hard pressed to point out a rival today. Lafayette has ULM as their main rival (actual and in conference) with McNeese as their "Battle of Southwest LA I-10 Corridor" rival. UL-L fans have a chip on their shoulder based on conference alignment, a perception that Tulane is unfairly seen as the second major athletic program in the State while they are seen as another double directional, and a realization that at the end of the day they are located in Lafayette. However, the folk's from Lafayette do travel well when they come to NOLA, especially when they play in the NOLA bowl where they have an outstanding three victories which pretty much makes up the corpus of football highlights for their program. Basically Lafayette fans like to visit New Orleans and, to some extent, identify with it as their preferred in state big city. They certainly follow and root for the Saints and all brag a high school senior's familiarity with Bourbon Street. ULL fans see traveling to NOLA as an exotic, exciting event (much like some Tulane fans love traveling to New York or Paris and have a faux familiarity with those cities) and love to tell the stories of their visits to NOLA to incredulous friends and family of NOLA. You can regularly find on the ULL Fanboard repeats of various versions of the biggest event in the history of the USL/ULL fan experience- the 2013 impromptu meeting of either 17 or 18 (depending on the version of the story) ULL fans which gave rise to mini-pep rally's in a NOLA Rouse's parking lot prior to the NOLA bowl (the memories were not only of the festive Red shirts which overwhelmed the shopping cart bay but also of the fact that Rouses was having a special on spiced chicken wings- a delicacy they love to sneak into stadiums). I look forward to welcoming the ULL fans to New Orleans next year although there is 0 chance the game will be moved to the Dome. I have heard rumors that Laffy is looking into a series with USM with a game to be played in Hattisburg followed by a game in New Orleans and this may be a Dome Game. In any case, it is true that the folks from Lafayette love visiting NOLA and we can hope for some of their fans to make the trip next year. In addition to giving the Lafayette folks a chance to visit New Orleans and the many wings restaurants in the NOLA region, their fans will no doubt be excited about the rare chance to play on TV on a night besides Thursday.
ULL and Louisiana Tech both have been in better places than us in previous years. 1 Bowl Game in the past 10 years is terrible. I just hope that Dannon makes it clear who is the second best athletic program in Louisiana.
Wave755
Tsunami

We should have no "rivalries" with Sunbelt or other regional universities. We are an elite national university, and while former rivals in better football times for Tulane like LSU and Ole Miss were never in our academic class, they are at least the flagship public universities of their respective states. There is nothing for us to win in a "rivalry" with an ULALA or USM, while for ULALA or USM an opportunity to beat an elite high tier one national private university founded in 1834. It is a complement neither deserves for Tulane to play ULALA or USM. Tulane's alumni, students and fans couldn't care less about the likes of the ULALA or USMs of the world. There is no such thing as a "one sided rivalry."
ccap05
Surge

Wave755 wrote:We should have no "rivalries" with Sunbelt or other regional universities. We are an elite national university, and while former rivals in better football times for Tulane like LSU and Ole Miss were never in our academic class, they are at least the flagship public universities of their respective states. There is nothing for us to win in a "rivalry" with an ULALA or USM, while for ULALA or USM an opportunity to beat an elite high tier one national private university founded in 1834. It is a complement neither deserves for Tulane to play ULALA or USM. Tulane's alumni, students and fans couldn't care less about the likes of the ULALA or USMs of the world. There is no such thing as a "one sided rivalry."
I agree wholeheartedly with you. My point was that we have never had a rivalry with Lafayette and there is no reason for one to develop.. There is no benefit to such a rivalry for either us or for them. They have ULM and McNeese as their natural rivals (conference tie ins/shared culture/similar academics & athletics). I would love to see the rivalry between GaTech and Tulane re-sparked and it is not hard to see it happening. I also agree with you that their is no benefit to us to play UL-Lafayette at all- I would rather use the schedule to play the likes of Rice in Houston or some other city with large populations of Tulane Alumni where I might actually want to travel (Northwestern - Chicago, UAB - B'Ham, Boston U, etc.).
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:We should have no "rivalries" with Sunbelt or other regional universities. We are an elite national university, and while former rivals in better football times for Tulane like LSU and Ole Miss were never in our academic class, they are at least the flagship public universities of their respective states. There is nothing for us to win in a "rivalry" with an ULALA or USM, while for ULALA or USM an opportunity to beat an elite high tier one national private university founded in 1834. It is a complement neither deserves for Tulane to play ULALA or USM. Tulane's alumni, students and fans couldn't care less about the likes of the ULALA or USMs of the world. There is no such thing as a "one sided rivalry."

I also agree. But its more proof that people judge a University solely on the exploits of their major athletic programs, namely football. There are people at Georgia Southern who believe they don't have to worry about us taking recruits they want after this first wave because they're a better program than us. They don't understand that as a University, both academically and athletically, our potential dwarfs anything that a school like Georgia Southern, UL-L, etc, can ever dream to be. Once we finally start winning regularly, they'll understand that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave QB
Swell

After their two game winning streak, all of you should be wanting our guys to kick their tails like we used to do! Playing ULL next season will help us sell tickets and pick up a win that will help our bowl eligibility. Nothing gained? I strongly disagree.

I have no problem with playing ULL. Building a rivalry? No, but playing them every so often is perfectly fine and it is good for us. We don't win enough football games around here for anyone to turn their nose up at playing ULL, ULM and LTU. We need to play at least one of them every other year. Sun Belt or SEC, in-state FBS match ups are always fun to experience for fans and players.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Not saying we shouldn't ever play them, but not as a rivalry. A once in awhile, like a UL-M or LaTech is fine, maybe play each twice in a decade. That's six games in 10 years against the three schools. More than enough. We have higher goals to achieve.
Wave755
Tsunami

ccap05 wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with you. My point was that we have never had a rivalry with Lafayette and there is no reason for one to develop.. There is no benefit to such a rivalry for either us or for them. They have ULM and McNeese as their natural rivals (conference tie ins/shared culture/similar academics & athletics). I would love to see the rivalry between GaTech and Tulane re-sparked and it is not hard to see it happening. I also agree with you that their is no benefit to us to play UL-Lafayette at all- I would rather use the schedule to play the likes of Rice in Houston or some other city with large populations of Tulane Alumni where I might actually want to travel (Northwestern - Chicago, UAB - B'Ham, Boston U, etc.).

+1 for a continued rivalry with Rice, both it's location in Houston and status as an elite private university make for a natural rivalry with Tulane. And, what about Vandy? I believe for approximately 85 years in a row Tulane and Vandy played football until the rivalry was ended by the Brown brothers, Mack & Watson, in the 1980s. It is my recollection the Brown brothers were "uncomfortable" playing Against one another and this explained the end of our rivalry. Vandy is another natural rival for Tulane since an elite Southern private university. And, while Vandy is excellent in both basketball and baseball, Vandy is quite beatable on the gridiron. Recall Rix Yard proposed in the mid 1960s Tulane, Rice, Vandy & Duke join together as the anchors of his ill fated "Magnolia League." Each wisely refused ironically citing the loss of in-state rivalries as a major reason yet Tulane withdrew from the SEC in 1965 anyway.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:After their two game winning streak, all of you should be wanting our guys to kick their tails like we used to do!

Playing ULL next season will help us sell tickets and pick up a win that will help our bowl eligibility. Nothing gained? I strongly

disagree.

I have no problem with playing ULL. Building a rivalry? No, but playing them every so often is perfectly fine and it is good for us.

We don't win enough football games around here for anyone to turn their nose up at playing ULL, ULM and LTU. We need to play at least

one of them every other year. Sun Belt or SEC, in-state FBS match ups are always fun to experience for fans and players.
Exactly right. The attitude of 'we shouldn't play them because we have nothing to gain and much to lose' sounds a little LSUish.

When Tulane arrives at the point to which we aspire, we won't need threads such as this that discuss how good we can be and how badly we will destroy team X. We will allow our performance on the playing field do all the talking we need. Crushing teams such as LSU lite in Lafayette every few years will not weaken our ability to recruit. Actually, the converse is true. When ULL trolls randomly appear to boast that they've upgraded their seat cushions in their basketball stadium, we should offer token congratulations for their achievement.
RobertM320
Green Wave

+1

I'd love to see us go back to playing Vandy on a regular basis.
Wave QB
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Not saying we shouldn't ever play them, but not as a rivalry. A once in awhile, like a UL-M or LaTech is fine, maybe play each twice in a decade. That's six games in 10 years against the three schools. More than enough. We have higher goals to achieve.
I agree.
DrBox
Riptide

There is no peculiar situation. It's just a game to Tulane.
The schools are night and day institutionally and will never be rivals. What ULL does or does not do doesn't affect Tulane.
And vice versa.
aus10dixon
Ripple

ccap05 wrote:This is a rather unique situation. There is no rivalry between UL-Lafayette and Tulane and there was never a historical rivalry between Tulane and the precursor's to the University in Lafayette (University of Southwestern Louisiana, Southwestern Louisiana Institute of Liberal and Technical Learning, and Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute). Tulane's historic rivals have been LSU and to some extent USM although I am hard pressed to point out a rival today. Lafayette has ULM as their main rival (actual and in conference) with McNeese as their "Battle of Southwest LA I-10 Corridor" rival. UL-L fans have a chip on their shoulder based on conference alignment, a perception that Tulane is unfairly seen as the second major athletic program in the State while they are seen as another double directional, and a realization that at the end of the day they are located in Lafayette. However, the folk's from Lafayette do travel well when they come to NOLA, especially when they play in the NOLA bowl where they have an outstanding three victories which pretty much makes up the corpus of football highlights for their program. Basically Lafayette fans like to visit New Orleans and, to some extent, identify with it as their preferred in state big city. They certainly follow and root for the Saints and all brag a high school senior's familiarity with Bourbon Street. ULL fans see traveling to NOLA as an exotic, exciting event (much like some Tulane fans love traveling to New York or Paris and have a faux familiarity with those cities) and love to tell the stories of their visits to NOLA to incredulous friends and family of NOLA. You can regularly find on the ULL Fanboard repeats of various versions of the biggest event in the history of the USL/ULL fan experience- the 2013 impromptu meeting of either 17 or 18 (depending on the version of the story) ULL fans which gave rise to mini-pep rally's in a NOLA Rouse's parking lot prior to the NOLA bowl (the memories were not only of the festive Red shirts which overwhelmed the shopping cart bay but also of the fact that Rouses was having a special on spiced chicken wings- a delicacy they love to sneak into stadiums). I look forward to welcoming the ULL fans to New Orleans next year although there is 0 chance the game will be moved to the Dome. I have heard rumors that Laffy is looking into a series with USM with a game to be played in Hattisburg followed by a game in New Orleans and this may be a Dome Game. In any case, it is true that the folks from Lafayette love visiting NOLA and we can hope for some of their fans to make the trip next year. In addition to giving the Lafayette folks a chance to visit New Orleans and the many wings restaurants in the NOLA region, their fans will no doubt be excited about the rare chance to play on TV on a night besides Thursday.
That was brutal.
Jonathan
Riptide

Merry Xmas and Happy new year. You spend 24 hours a day on Tulane, U La La, Sunbelt, CuSA and ACC sites. Do you have a job or you retired if so how do you work all these posts in ?
BC Wave
Swell

Looking forward to Lafayette coming to town. They have a lot of good fans and should provide for a good tailgating scene.

I hope they bring their band.

Back when I lived in Lafayette, their unofficial fight song was "Respect"

I don't have a problem at all in playing Les Cajuns. They have gotten the better of us recently and we owe them.
BC Wave
Swell

Looking forward to Lafayette coming to town. They have a lot of good fans and should provide for a good tailgating scene.

I don't have a problem at all in playing Les Cajuns. They have gotten the better of us recently and we owe them.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote:Looking forward to Lafayette coming to town. They have a lot of good fans and should provide for a good tailgating scene.

Agree.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Also looking forward to U La La coming to Yulmin next season and tail gating with us at Yulman. Should be an interesting match up.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

We are not playing Louisville for the foreseeable future.