ULL game 2016

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I understand you, cajunfanatico. We're talking about a vomparison to Tech. But you did preface the quote by saying the person wasn't prone to BS. Anyway, next item : Carnegie Nationally Ranked Research University. (RU/H). RU/H stands for highly ranked, as compared to RU/VH, which means very highly ranked. Both LaTech and UL-L are RU/H. Tulane and LSU are RU/VH.
Sorry, I just didn't understand your need to comment on how many lists Tulane occupies. As I said, I've never said Tulane was anything other than a top-ranked academic institution.

And I do stand by what I said initially. While I don't know the original poster of that information personally, he's never come across as a blow-hard.

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Regarding the research dollars, the last figures I can find had ULL with about $58M in total research dollars, third in the state as far as public universities go, behind LSU ($136M) and LSU Medical Center ($60M). However, the same report shows the rest of the UL system as having close to $70M in research dollars.

Actually, it looks like all of his statements came as a result of this same report. The report has some ULL spin to it, as any university would so I'm not surprised at there being some descrepancies.

I think the point we're all trying to get to is this: UL-L is doing great. They're probably the top university in the state not named Tulane or LSU and they're continuing to improve. But the gap, no the chasm between ULL and the top two is huge and it won't be narrowing any time soon. Stop trying to be what you're not and be happy that you're the best of the rest.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Regarding the research dollars, the last figures I can find had ULL with about $58M in total research dollars, third in the state as far as public universities go, behind LSU ($136M) and LSU Medical Center ($60M). However, the same report shows the rest of the UL system as having close to $70M in research dollars.

Actually, it looks like all of his statements came as a result of this same report. The report has some ULL spin to it, as any university would so I'm not surprised at there being some descrepancies.

I think the point we're all trying to get to is this: UL-L is doing great. They're probably the top university in the state not named Tulane or LSU and they're continuing to improve. But the gap, no the chasm between ULL and the top two is huge and it won't be narrowing any time soon. Stop trying to be what you're not and be happy that you're the best of the rest.
Thanks for taking the time to check on his assertions Robert. I had never done so and frankly, don't recall how dated the information is. I tend to look at old threads from time to time and may have picked it up from something more than a year or more old.

As for your last statement, I'm not sure how it applies to me specifically other than I get tired of Necksters, Wave755 and Jonathan constantly beating that drum as though it's somehow something really important in athletics. I personally don't give a rat's ass about it because any education is only as good as what you make of it.

The number 2 spot in athletics in Louisiana is open and has been for some time. Is there anything wrong with the likes of ULL and LaTech trying to snag that spot for themselves or are you suggesting that in that case too we know our place and accept it? I don't see that happening. All I've ever suggested here is that it appears our athletic department wants that spot in football, and considers the number 1 spot available some years in other sports and is doing what they can to take it. Personally, I like that.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree with you on all counts, CF. But I also feel that #2 is only open as long as Tulane allows it to be. Its one thing to strive, but you also have to acknowledge that if Tulane ever gets their act together, that #2 spot becomes a pipe dream for anyone else. There was a time in the 90's where the #1 spot in football was open, when LSU had a series of bad coaches. Then, along came Nick Saban, a new commitment, followed by Les Miles, and they've got the state on lockdown. As has been said many times over, "Tulane can be whatever it wants to be in athletics." If they ever take that to heart, no telling what can happen. If all universities in the state were to perform to maximum potential, the levels that Tulane can attain can only be matched or surpassed by LSU.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:
winwave wrote:
puffy wrote:
winwave wrote: Actually it hasn't . Not if Tulane is thinking big time. It will take the Dome and Arena to get Tulane in the Big 12. But that's a topic for another thread. Yulman only seats 22k and so that 's the reality of what we are talking about now. I and many others seriously doubt its size can be doubled. Furthermore a winning Tulane team can fill a 22k stadium but as we know there is no money to be made filling a 22k stadium.
Isn't capacity 30K for Yulman after figuring in luxury box and SRO? And isn't this number more important than the actual # of seats in the stadium?

AT&T Stadium has a seating capacity of 80K but balloons to 105K when SRO is factored in. Attendance figures always counts total number of bodies in the stadium, and their avg attendance for Cowboys home games is 91K-plus.
This has long been discussed here. It's another in a long line of RD's lies. It seats 22,660. There are two decks that hold 200 each. It's a small stadium so not much room for SRO so football capacity of maybe 24k.
How is attendance accounted for when the suites are factored in?
Puffy there is only one suite, the Glazer Club. The same people that sit in the seats of the Glazer Club are the only ones allowed inside the club. They can't be double counted unless one is RD.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

cajunfanatico wrote:
DrBox wrote:
exflash wrote:Lafayette is a growing city where people want to live and not just visit---the # 2 athletic program in the state based upon overall rankings for its teams (ranked in the top 10 in the country for baseball and softball)---facilities are the best by far other than LSU's---UL drawing more from the LC, Alex, BR, Houma/Thib, and NO area and will be at 20 K next year in enrollment---We will soon be a Tier one university and are very close to it now----As Tulane continues to price itself out of the range of good kids, UL adds them as the middle class NO area kid just can't afford the tuition---Wish we would play in the dome as we are the only school on your schedule that needs the seating!!!
This is why i hate playing ULL. You can't just play ULL...you have to listen to this nonsense. And if we lose, good lordy: "we're the #2"; "they're keeping us out of the metro/C-USA/AAC". They talk about the huge fan base, and ignore the years of 5K or less in Cajun Field (and the 10K in Cajun field THIS year). The absurdity is endless.
Yes, Tulane draws out the ULL fan, IF ULL has a good team (the early Stokley games did that; however the last 2 regular season TU-ULL games in the dome had less than 1K cajun fans).
You are not #2 because you haven't done anything of note - and neither has La Tech (although they've done more than ULL). Finish a season ranked or produce some at large basketball teams, then you can talk.
Academically, don't be ridiculous. And even if you somehow gain "tier 1" (highly doubtful really - you'll have to amp up your entrance requirements and that means losing enrollment) ULL will not be a beacon for top students.
ULL doesn't even have a facilities edge on Tulane.. Nothing special about Cajun Field. Yulman is small, but it is much nicer than Cajun Field.
You do have a nice football ops building (but you better keep selling tickets because ULL borrowed money to build it). Your basketball facilities are terrible (rent cajun dome; and no practice facility) and your baseball stadium needs major renovations.
Man, that's some quality hate and anger you've got for us there Box. We must be doing something right. Can I count you as a member of the Wave755 Couldn't Care Less About ULL Club?

I honestly do not understand why any fan ever brings up academic smack on a sports forum unless it's to make a point about a university's chances of being selected for a better slot during conference realignment. And for the record, when GaSouthern fans were questioning why any of their recruits would follow Fritz to Tulane, even considering the education they'd receive, it was Cajun fans who set them straight on the value of a diploma from Tulane versus GaSouthern.

I think you're wrong Box about who has the better overall athletic facilities. While Cajun Field is old, remodeling in underway. The south end zone has been bowled in to allow for construction to begin on the new press boxes and upper deck. We'll actually sacrifice some seats on the upper deck but the final product will be first class. The new Athletic Performance Center is one of the finest in the South, we have an indoor practice facility for our football program, softball's Lamson Field is as nice as most SEC programs, and the CajunDome (also with major renovations underway) is owned by the University.

We averaged over 25,000 per home game during Hud's first four years. That dropped down into the low 20's this year but considering the dreadful season we had, still not bad.

Now, you mention baseball. New lighting is being installed before the 2016 season. After that season is completed, we begin construction of our new baseball stadium. Here's the planned facility.

Don't recall the seating capacity but since we've been averaging around 3600 fans per game, I believe it exceeds that. We may not end up the second-best athletic program in the state, but it won't be because we went down without a fight.
Very nice
Eaglewave
Swell

Jonathan wrote:You are correct that U La La is also a regional directional school known as USL the University of Southwestern Louisiana.. I think our new coach should get us back to the Top 25 and start scheduling LSU A&M.

I think so as well. This is the type of hire that I have been begging to see. Once we start winning, I want to take on LSU.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:I think so as well. This is the type of hire that I have been begging to see. Once we start winning, I want to take on LSU.
I would surely expect the same response from LSU that we got when Dale Brown was there. They didn't want to play us for 7 years, but as soon as we announced we were bringing back basketball, he offered to play us in our first game back. Once Perry Clark got the program winning, Brown wanted nothing to do with us. It think it will be very difficult to get LSU to schedule us if we actually start winning regularly.
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I agree with you on all counts, CF. But I also feel that #2 is only open as long as Tulane allows it to be. Its one thing to strive, but you also have to acknowledge that if Tulane ever gets their act together, that #2 spot becomes a pipe dream for anyone else. There was a time in the 90's where the #1 spot in football was open, when LSU had a series of bad coaches. Then, along came Nick Saban, a new commitment, followed by Les Miles, and they've got the state on lockdown. As has been said many times over, "Tulane can be whatever it wants to be in athletics." If they ever take that to heart, no telling what can happen. If all universities in the state were to perform to maximum potential, the levels that Tulane can attain can only be matched or surpassed by LSU.
I would say that with Tulane's conference affiliation, current athletic budget, and location that under normal conditions your program would be the odds-on favorite to dominate the number 2 slot in athletics in the state. Unfortunately for Tulane, your administration has diddled for a couple of decades now and allowed a long-dormant program like ours to wake up, see the prize for what it is, and begin to compete actively for that coveted number 2 spot in football, and position itself to compete for the number 1 spot in other sports. One need only look at our baseball and softball programs as examples of a lower-tier school located in Lafayette competing on the national stage. With the right facilities, funding, coaching, and administrative support, we can do the same in all sports.

So, having said all that, I believe that taking the number 2 spot by default will now be much tougher today for Tulane than it would have been a mere 10 years ago. Certainly not impossible, but tougher. Should another round of conference realignment take place and Tulane finds itself in the Big 12, then Katy-bar-the-door as Tulane's athletic program will go through the roof. Beyond that, from my perspective, expect a war.

Wave755's latest couldn't care less rants about ULL involve the price of oil and its impact on our program. Let there be no doubt that there is an impact, from the state government on down. Having been in the oilfield for over 20 years, I've seen this rollercoaster ride a dozen times. However, one need only drive around our campus to see how serious this administration in making our entire university, not just athletics, more competitive in an ever-increasingly competitive higher education marketplace.

Tulane might want to keep that Big 12 phone number on speed dial. :D
RobertM320
Green Wave

You can see the prize, and actively compete for it, but if Tulane does what it needs to you wont be able to match the necessary funding. Its the same reason that without membership in a P5, Tulane will never have the funding to keep up with LSU. Tulane's pockets are deep enough, if the will is there, to outgun ULL at every turn. The key being, IF THE WILL IS THERE.

The only exception to that would be if a wealthy alum were to go all out the way Paul Allen has with Oregon or T. Boone Pickens with Oklahoma State. If any school were to get that kind of support, even a UL-L, the sky's the limit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I agree with you on all counts, CF. But I also feel that #2 is only open as long as Tulane allows it to be. Its one thing to strive, but you also have to acknowledge that if Tulane ever gets their act together, that #2 spot becomes a pipe dream for anyone else. There was a time in the 90's where the #1 spot in football was open, when LSU had a series of bad coaches. Then, along came Nick Saban, a new commitment, followed by Les Miles, and they've got the state on lockdown. As has been said many times over, "Tulane can be whatever it wants to be in athletics." If they ever take that to heart, no telling what can happen. If all universities in the state were to perform to maximum potential, the levels that Tulane can attain can only be matched or surpassed by LSU.
Robert, let me start by saying I agree with your post.

But I also want to point out that the UL-L Administration has made a commitment to winning and the infrastructure to do so a couple of years before Tulane seemed to get it. Maybe you can argue that Cowen and Dickson realized that they misplayed their hand in the late 90's until the end of their run. Then they built a stadium that leaves a lot to be desired. Fitts seems to be willing to do what's necessary to get the Athletics Department on track, we'll see how the next few years play out.

But make no mistake UL-L has better facilities right now than Tulane does. As Dannen says "if you're not continuing to develop your facilities you are stagnant and falling behind". We need to catch up. If the sleeping giant awakens, we better be in position to offer the facilities needed to compete in a P5. The good news is Tulane is a good number of years away from an invite. Making plans (and making them public) needs to happen now.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

I hate when we start using our academic status to bail us out athletic results in debates. The fact is that our terrible vision of our previous leadership has allowed ULL to surpass is on the field and on a the NCAA national respect level. Everyone who thinks that we are a better athetlic program than ULL just because we are in the American is living a lie. we are talking about sports!

As I have already stated, I really hope we can beat them hell out of them and shut them up. But until we start winning and being a better program than them, ULL can talk all they want because they have earned it.
Wave755
Tsunami

So glad on 9/24/2016 at Yulman we can finally put to rest all of this ULALA nonsense (and crap). :baeh:

Cajun Troll, I can't wait. :winkkiss:
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Riptide

Let's get the facts straight. "soon to be a Tier 1 academic institution".What a joke! I have been hearing that for the last 20 years! Only three Tier 1 institutions in Louisiana,La. Tech,LSU and Tulane. These rankings are set by the US News and Word Report. All Ivy League and top 50 senior high school college applicants give top priority to these rankings. ULL has a 55.8 acceptance rate; Tulane 28 percent.ULL has a 15 percent four year graduation rate. Tulane 70 percent. For Louisiana residents ULL high school applicants an ACT score of 23 is required or an SAT score of 1050. Tulane recent averages are 29-32 ACT and 1960-2140 SAT. Tulane is the most prestigious academic university in Louisiana and the Gulf South ranked number 41 in the nation. Tulane is internationally known particularly in Latin America. Tulane has serious graduate schools unlike ULL such as law,medicine,architecture,social work,business and tropical medicine.USL is a regional directional school in a small market area with a low endowment and annual athletic budget. Tulane annual athletic is over $40m and endowment $1.2 billion. It tuition is over $60000 per year but ample financial aid and grants are available. Lafayette is basically an oil field service town. Oil prices are at its lowest prices in decades and firms are cutting back employment in Lafayette.

Tulane was funded as the Medical College of Louisiana in 1834 and our state legislature changed its name in1847 to the University of Louisiana. Tulane is a member of the elite Association of American Universities the only one in the state. Tulane is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as a research university with "very high research activity." In 2007 Tulane. Research funding was $157.5m by far the highest in the state. ULL was at $58m. Tulane has had 41 Fulbright Scholars,17 Rhodes Scholars and 23 Marshall Scholars.

If we want to play in the Superdome we can pick up the phone and call Mrs Tom Benson who sits on the Tulane Board. We want to get the home field advantage playing in Yulman and keeping all concessions and parking revenues. ULL is stuck in the lowly Sunbelt Conference. Tulane in the much higher AAC. I feel Louisiana Tech is the number two program in Louisiana today.I feel Tulane within a year or two will overtake La. Tech by us hiring the best football coach in the Sunbelt,Willie Fritz. ULL had a losing record,looking terrible and did not make their beloved New Orleans bowl. I covered everything? Happy New Yearto all posters on this thread!
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:Let's get the facts straight. "soon to be a Tier 1 academic institution".What a joke! I have been hearing that for the last 20 years! Only three Tier 1 institutions in Louisiana,La. Tech,LSU and Tulane. Tulane is the most prestigious academic university in Louisiana and the Gulf South ranked number 41 in the nation. Tulane is internationally known particularly in Latin America. Tulane has serious graduate schools unlike ULL such as law,medicine,architecture,social work,business and tropical medicine.USL is a regional directional school in a small market area with a low endowment and annual athletic budget. Tulane annual athletic is over $40m and endowment $1.2 billion. It tuition is over $60000 per year but ample financial aid and grants are available. Lafayette is basically an oil field service town. Oil prices are at its lowest prices in decades and firms are cutting back employment in Lafayette.

Tulane was funded as the Medical College of Louisiana in 1834 and our state legislature changed its name in1847 to the University of Louisiana. Tulane is a member of the elite Association of American Universities the only one in the state. Tulane is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as a research university with "very high research activity." In 2007 Tulane. Research funding was $157.5m by far the highest in the state. ULL was at $58m. Tulane has had 41 Fulbright Scholars,17 Rhodes Scholars and 23 Marshall Scholars.

If we want to play in the Superdome we can pick up the phone and call Mrs Tom Benson who sits on the Tulane Board. We want to get the home advantage playing in Yulman and keeping all concession and parking revenues. Have I covered everything? Happy New Yearto all posters on this thread!
Why does Tulane have to call anyone named Benson in order to play/rent the dome for a football game... The Benson's have ZERO ownership of the facility and still owe the State of Louisiana almost 50 million dollars for the 'loan" the state gave to ole Tom to have the funds to purchase the Saints.. Tom Benson is nothing more than a 'Home Boy Carpetbagger" who has fleeced the citizens of Louisiana for years with threats of reloaction
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ExileWave
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Let's get the facts straight. "soon to be a Tier 1 academic institution".What a joke! I have been hearing that for the last 20 years! Only three Tier 1 institutions in Louisiana,La. Tech,LSU and Tulane. Tulane is the most prestigious academic university in Louisiana and the Gulf South ranked number 41 in the nation. Tulane is internationally known particularly in Latin America. Tulane has serious graduate schools unlike ULL such as law,medicine,architecture,social work,business and tropical medicine.USL is a regional directional school in a small market area with a low endowment and annual athletic budget. Tulane annual athletic is over $40m and endowment $1.2 billion. It tuition is over $60000 per year but ample financial aid and grants are available. Lafayette is basically an oil field service town. Oil prices are at its lowest prices in decades and firms are cutting back employment in Lafayette.

If we want to play in the Superdome we can pick up the phone and call Mrs Tom Benson who sits on the Tulane Board. We want to get the home advantage playing in Yulman and keeping all concession and parking revenues. Have I covered everything? Happy New Yearto all posters on this thread!
Why does Tulane have to call anyone named Benson in order to play/rent the dome for a football game... The Benson's have ZERO ownership of the facility and still owe the State of Louisiana almost 50 million dollars for the 'loan" the state gave to ole Tom to have the funds to purchase the Saints.. Tom Benson is nothing more than a 'Home Boy Carpetbagger" who has fleeced the citizens of Louisiana for years with threats of reloaction
Another brilliant example preached by Jonathan of why Tulane is the most despised institution in LA. ARROGANCE. None of this academic BS has anything to do with us getting our a$$e$ handed to us regularly on the field and court. I doubt being Tier 1 or #41 had anything to do with Willie Fritz coming to Tulane. If you want an academic chat board start one. JMHO, but no one outside of a few here give a damn.
Last edited by ExileWave on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:So glad on 9/24/2016 at Yulman we can finally put to rest all of this ULALA nonsense. :baeh:

Why wait till September when we've got 8 March and 12 April all lined up on the baseball diamond.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:So glad on 9/24/2016 at Yulman we can finally put to rest all of this ULALA nonsense. :baeh:

Why wait till September when we've got 8 March and 12 April all lined up on the baseball diamond.
Because the only sport that truly matters is football. Despite all their NCAA titles, where does Cal State- Fullerton stand on the sports scene radar? Winning or losing in baseball, or any other non-revenue sport is meaningless. Being a baseball or softball powerhouse will get you nowhere by itself.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote:

be careful what you wish for !!! Johnathan and a few others, may ask that the Tulane players get introduced with their GPA's - SAT-ACT scores and not ERA or Batting Averages
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ExileWave
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

be careful what you wish for !!! Johnathan and a few others, may ask that the Tulane players get introduced with their GPA's - SAT-ACT scores and not ERA or Batting Averages
HAHA good one golfnut69. Include the University Presidents and school academic rankings in pre-game as well.
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Because the only sport that truly matters is football. Despite all their NCAA titles, where does Cal State- Fullerton stand on the sports scene radar? Winning or losing in baseball, or any other non-revenue sport is meaningless. Being a baseball or softball powerhouse will get you nowhere by itself.
So you won't be watching and rooting for Tulane? I actually had a Neckster tell me that baseball was so unimportant that he "might" watch the CWS if his team made it that far. :lol: :roll:

I view competing for the Number 2 spot in Louisiana as a cross-sports effort. As you mentioned elsewhere, unless Tulane makes it to the Big 12, none of those Louisiana schools not named LSU will ever be able to compete with their program in football on a regular basis. Everything else though can be on the table year in and year out and shouldn't be forfeited by any of us.
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
:lol:

RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

So you won't be watching and rooting for Tulane? I actually had a Neckster tell me that baseball was so unimportant that he "might" watch the CWS if his team made it that far. :lol: :roll:

I view competing for the Number 2 spot in Louisiana as a cross-sports effort. As you mentioned elsewhere, unless Tulane makes it to the Big 12, none of those Louisiana schools not named LSU will ever be able to compete with their program in football on a regular basis. Everything else though can be on the table year in and year out and shouldn't be forfeited by any of us.
Actually, that's not what I said. I said the only way Tulane can compete with LSU for #1 is if they get in the Big 12. If Tulane gets their act together and does make a 100% commitment the way other schools do, UL-L, La Tech and the rest will be competing for #3. You just won't have the resources to compete, just like we don't have the resources to compete with LSU.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Nut, ULALA is the "Coon-ass" UNO! :lolgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Nut, ULALA is the "Coon-ass" UNO! :lolgreen:
You may be correct, and if it is, the coon-azz's there are RCA's....Registered Coon Azz's.... unlike the one's at UNO, who may not have papers