Staff coming together

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

LMFAO, Winwave, it's funny that we've NEVER been this pumped up about an incoming coaching staff. I remember a lot of buzz when Mack Brown was hired, and again when Tommy Bowden was hired. But this is a staff that has done nothing but win at every level they've been at. Absolutely nothing would indicate that they cannot win at Tulane. I hope Coach Fritz wants to spend the last 10-15-20 years of his career in New Orleans, building a perennial contender. He could really build a legacy here, something that the kids aged 1-10 look back on and say "oh yeah, Tulane, that's where Coach Willie Fritz built a winner where many thought it couldn't be done." I'd die happy if we ever reached our true potential.

And I'm pretty sure that Dannen will be able to give him and the staff competitive raises when earned.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ExileWave
Surge

DfromCT wrote:Perhaps Fritz didn't offer him a job at Tulane? Or he doesn't want to live in New Orleans (or move anywhere for that matter.) There could be any number of reasons for him not working on the Tulane staff. I'm not worried about a coach that stayed at GSU. I am concerned with whom we have on board, and how willing the current players are to buy in to the new coaching staff's systems.

If they're able to get an "all in" out of the current players and the 2016 recruiting class, we could be playing this time next year. I truly believe there's enough talent that, with good coaching, can win 7 or 8 games next year. The schedule is much easier than last year, and the coaching blunders (game management 101, bad play calling, inept special teams, same mistakes made game after game after game) getting cleaned up will have Tulane in a bowl game next year.

And, as much as I don't want to be a team that runs 85% of the time, as others have said "if we win games, who's to complain?"
I doubt Baylor fans are panicking this morning because they could not throw the ball last night. They had 647 (+-) yards RUSHING because they had no QB and Briles adapted to what they could do successfully. NC had no answer. That is what good coaches do- no excuses, just win and the players buy in. I look forward to the day Tulane is at that level. Personally I found Baylor fun to watch in their bowl- not the boring triple option at all. Coach Willie is a seasoned veteran- he knows what he is doing and he will have players "buy in" or they will be gone.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Yes, Baylor was pretty incredible yesterday, and with no QB. As you said, no excuses! And all we've had here for most of the past 50 years has been excuses.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'm trying to stay grounded but this is the most excited I've been about Tulane football since Dec 1996 when we hired Tommy Bowden. I see the same turnaround happening. It's impressive when just about the entire staff follows the new coach. David Pierce hiring was the same way. If you look at CJ he had to piece together an entire staff from all walks and try to coordinate them. WF is light years ahead of what CJ was doing. I know WF will get the best from each player because he owes them nothing and they will have to prove themselves to him and his staff. I've had many LSU friends tell me how Tulane got this hire right.
I can't wait to April's spring practice.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: I can't wait to April's spring practice.
And he's wisely holding it late - very late - which allows the coaches to thoroughly evaluate the personnel on film and for the players to learn the playbook prior to the practice. I suspect it will be a touch earlier in the future, but never prior to mid-March, in contrast to prior regime.

Here's how I felt about the hirings at the time of hiring in my years of following:
Ellender - happy
Smith- happy
Gibson- not happy*
English -not happy
Brown - elated
Davis -pissed
Teevens - meh
Bowden - meh
Scelfo- furious*
Toledo - meh
CJ - furious
Fritz- elated
wave97
Swell

2016 winter workouts should be an eye opening experience for the players and a revealing experience for the staff. This team is starving for competent instruction and leadership. I look forward to seeing what we, as fans can observe in the process of transformation.
phpBB [video]
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:LMFAO, Winwave, it's funny that we've NEVER been this pumped up about an incoming coaching staff. I remember a lot of buzz when Mack Brown was hired, and again when Tommy Bowden was hired. But this is a staff that has done nothing but win at every level they've been at. Absolutely nothing would indicate that they cannot win at Tulane. I hope Coach Fritz wants to spend the last 10-15-20 years of his career in New Orleans, building a perennial contender. He could really build a legacy here, something that the kids aged 1-10 look back on and say "oh yeah, Tulane, that's where Coach Willie Fritz built a winner where many thought it couldn't be done." I'd die happy if we ever reached our true potential.

And I'm pretty sure that Dannen will be able to give him and the staff competitive raises when earned.
Feels good doesn't it D.

Hope all is well w/ Zach and the rest of the family.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:I'm trying to stay grounded but this is the most excited I've been about Tulane football since Dec 1996 when we hired Tommy Bowden. I see the same turnaround happening. It's impressive when just about the entire staff follows the new coach. David Pierce hiring was the same way. If you look at CJ he had to piece together an entire staff from all walks and try to coordinate them. WF is light years ahead of what CJ was doing. I know WF will get the best from each player because he owes them nothing and they will have to prove themselves to him and his staff. I've had many LSU friends tell me how Tulane got this hire right.
+1
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote: I can't wait to April's spring practice.
And he's wisely holding it late - very late - which allows the coaches to thoroughly evaluate the personnel on film and for the players to learn the playbook prior to the practice. I suspect it will be a touch earlier in the future, but never prior to mid-March, in contrast to prior regime.

Here's how I felt about the hirings at the time of hiring in my years of following:
Ellender - happy
Smith- happy
Gibson- not happy*
English -not happy
Brown - elated
Davis -pissed
Teevens - meh
Bowden - meh
Scelfo- furious*
Toledo - meh
CJ - furious
Fritz- elated
+1

I'll add again that another plus of holding spring practices at the same time 99% of the other teams do is that it gives the players a chance to recover physically and mentally from the previous season. It also will aid w/retention of what they learn in the spring.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:2016 winter workouts should be an eye opening experience for the players and a revealing experience for the staff. This team is starving for competent instruction and leadership. I look forward to seeing what we, as fans can observe in the process of transformation.
phpBB [video]

I wonder how many, if any, who walked on Senior Day, with one year left to play will change their minds
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
wave97 wrote:2016 winter workouts should be an eye opening experience for the players and a revealing experience for the staff. This team is starving for competent instruction and leadership. I look forward to seeing what we, as fans can observe in the process of transformation.
phpBB [video]

I wonder how many, if any, who walked on Senior Day, with one year left to play will change their minds
Good question, they must be as stunned as we are by the sudden turnaround for our program with Fitts, Hertz & Dannon now running the show. We should know shortly who has changed his mind about leaving because of the hiring of Fritz & Company.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Expect Fritz to personally coach the ST's.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I'm trying to stay grounded but this is the most excited I've been about Tulane football since Dec 1996 when we hired Tommy Bowden. I see the same turnaround happening. It's impressive when just about the entire staff follows the new coach. David Pierce hiring was the same way. If you look at CJ he had to piece together an entire staff from all walks and try to coordinate them. WF is light years ahead of what CJ was doing. I know WF will get the best from each player because he owes them nothing and they will have to prove themselves to him and his staff. I've had many LSU friends tell me how Tulane got this hire right.
Well there's no question that this is the best position the program has been in since 1998, but that's a loaded point.

Truthfully, it took very little for us to reach "best position since '98". For the first time, the program isn't shackled by the leadership of Cowen/Dickson, and that's enough to clear that bar.

But we've gone from very incompetent (Dickson/CJ) to very competent with high upside (Dannen/Fritz) in a matter of weeks. There is ample reason for real excitement.

Over numerous programs and levels, CWF has proven to be able to implement his system and win immediately. Interestingly, he's never had access to the kind of athletes that are currently on Tulane's roster (regardless of who transfers) and we should already expect to be pretty good defensively. The 2016 schedule is a lingering disaster from the Dickson era, so 6-7 wins is very easy to see. He went 17-7 in the Sun Belt with FCS upperclassmen.

A bowl game isn't a big deal anymore. CWF will go at least .500 next year just based on defense alone.
Wave QB
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Well there's no question that this is the best position the program has been in since 1998, but that's a loaded point.

Truthfully, it took very little for us to reach "best position since '98". For the first time, the program isn't shackled by the leadership of Cowen/Dickson, and that's enough to clear that bar.

But we've gone from very incompetent (Dickson/CJ) to very competent with high upside (Dannen/Fritz) in a matter of weeks. There is ample reason for real excitement.

Over numerous programs and levels, CWF has proven to be able to implement his system and win immediately. Interestingly, he's never had access to the kind of athletes that are currently on Tulane's roster (regardless of who transfers) and we should already expect to be pretty good defensively. The 2016 schedule is a lingering disaster from the Dickson era, so 6-7 wins is very easy to see. He went 17-7 in the Sun Belt with FCS upperclassmen.

A bowl game isn't a big deal anymore. CWF will go at least .500 next year just based on defense alone.
A Bowl Game isn't a big deal anymore? Why? If Auburn can play in the Birmingham Bowl, then we shouldn't turn our nose up at anything. We need to be a program that recruits always see in Bowl Games. I am hoping that WF wins at least 7 to 9 games on a regular basis.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave QB, I think what he means is reaching a bowl doesn't even take being a top 40 program anymore, like it did back in the day. It was a real accomplishment back then. Today, any school with an average level of competence and talent should be able to reach a bowl. So there's no reason we shouldn't be bowling all the time.

Just goes to show how pathetic we've been most of the last 20 years.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Wave QB, I think what he means is reaching a bowl doesn't even take being a top 40 program anymore, like it did back in the day. It was a real accomplishment back then. Today, any school with an average level of competence and talent should be able to reach a bowl. So there's no reason we shouldn't be bowling all the time.

Exactly. We have to be striving to win at least 10 a year against the current scheduling if we are going to get peoples attention.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Wave QB, I think what he means is reaching a bowl doesn't even take being a top 40 program anymore, like it did back in the day. It was a real accomplishment back then. Today, any school with an average level of competence and talent should be able to reach a bowl. So there's no reason we shouldn't be bowling all the time.

Exactly. We have to be striving to win at least 10 a year against the current scheduling if we are going to get peoples attention.
This +1. A Tulane going 7-5 or 6-6 every year isn't going to get attention. String a few 9-3 or 10-2 seasons together and that will turn heads.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree, it's going to take a few 10 win seasons to start to change perceptions. But you have to walk before you run, so if we don't make the New Year's 6 the first year or two, we can still consider where the program has been and measure success. Frankly, I hope we see a whole lot of changes in year one, but I don't expect miracles. Game management and solid special teams alone gets us a couple more wins.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I agree, it's going to take a few 10 win seasons to start to change perceptions. But you have to walk before you run, so if we don't make the New Year's 6 the first year or two, we can still consider where the program has been and measure success. Frankly, I hope we see a whole lot of changes in year one, but I don't expect miracles. Game management and solid special teams alone gets us a couple more wins.
We agree. No one is saying we need to win 10 this year but it needs to be happening in in the next 3 years or so. As to 2016 the schedule is really weak. No reason not to expect at least 7 wins. Good starting point.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Let's just make sure they're a solid 7 wins. Not like the 7 win season CJ put up. Luck was with us that season. I want it to be a legit winning season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Let's just make sure they're a solid 7 wins. Not like the 7 win season CJ put up. Luck was with us that season. I want it to be a legit winning season.
No doubt we agree on that.
nawlinspete
Riptide

President Fitts did exactly as I predicted when he was hired: he has acknowledged that the Athletic Department should be held to the same standard of excellence as the Med School and all the other departments and schools.

As to scheduling let us hope that AD Dannon understands that 1) given our location we would much rather play Mississippi State than UMass and 2) adjusts future OOC schedules to enhance our perceived value to the BIG XII and the citizens of New Orleans instead of pandering to the Sun Belt directionals.

Smart Choices And A Bit Of Patience.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave QB
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Let's just make sure they're a solid 7 wins. Not like the 7 win season CJ put up. Luck was with us that season. I want it to be a legit winning season.
Luck is with several teams every year. In 2013, our players were playing with more fire before getting their hearts ripped out in Florida. CJ never had the experience needed to regroup with a program after a disappointing loss.

I do agree that we should be winning plenty of games each year.
puffy
Surge

Wake Forest survives a furious fourth-quarter rally to beat Tulane 28-27 in Coach Willie Fritz's debut as Green Wave coach. ... A week later, Tulane rolls up 340 yards on the ground to bury Southern 35-16 in its home opener and give Fritz his first win at the school before a capacity crowd of 25,670 at Yulman Stadium.
Winwave, Jeff Duncan also wasn't fooled by RD's roided up Yulman capacity # :geek: .

http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
winwave
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:

Wake Forest survives a furious fourth-quarter rally to beat Tulane 28-27 in Coach Willie Fritz's debut as Green Wave coach. ... A week later, Tulane rolls up 340 yards on the ground to bury Southern 35-16 in its home opener and give Fritz his first win at the school before a capacity crowd of 25,670 at Yulman Stadium.
Winwave, Jeff Duncan also wasn't fooled by RD's roided up Yulman capacity # :geek: .

http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
LOL. Duncan saw the light after Tulane fans ripped him a new one for his article glorifying RD. Looks like he finally started doing some research. Even then he spotted YS an extra 1,500. But at least he's in the ballpark now. :mrgreen: