Staff coming together

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Good move on Coach Fritz's part.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I wonder if the entire staff from GaSouthern is coming? I thought (prayed) that the offense was going to be markedly different than what they ran at GaSouthern.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Forever TU
Surge

DfromCT wrote:I wonder if the entire staff from GaSouthern is coming? I thought (prayed) that the offense was going to be markedly different than what they ran at GaSouthern.
It will be. GA Southern ran the option before Fritz got there. It will almost certainly be more likely what he ran at Sam Houston.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If fact, from reading some of the GSUfans board, it seems the triple option is a school tradition of sorts, kind of like Army and Navy. Their fans don't want it changed to a spread option or pro-style.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Clearly, based upon the conversation Coach Fritz had with Jack Abraham, the offense is going to have OPTION written all over it. It's not going to be a pure spread, and definitely not a pro-set. How little or much passing we do is still to be determined, but I would strongly doubt we're going to pass more than we run. The years that Fritz's offenses had more yardage passing than running it was still probably 60-40 run-pass.
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

DfromCT wrote:Clearly, based upon the conversation Coach Fritz had with Jack Abraham, the offense is going to have OPTION written all over it. It's not going to be a pure spread, and definitely not a pro-set. How little or much passing we do is still to be determined, but I would strongly doubt we're going to pass more than we run. The years that Fritz's offenses had more yardage passing than running it was still probably 60-40 run-pass.
If we win, I don't care if we are the first team in the modern era to never attempt a pass. We have SUCKED for too long!!!!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Clearly, based upon the conversation Coach Fritz had with Jack Abraham, the offense is going to have OPTION written all over it. It's not going to be a pure spread, and definitely not a pro-set. How little or much passing we do is still to be determined, but I would strongly doubt we're going to pass more than we run. The years that Fritz's offenses had more yardage passing than running it was still probably 60-40 run-pass.
No one knows what that conversation was like. It could well be that WF politely told him he wasn't good enough for us. As has been pointed out he had a stud WR that he threw short to and then would get a lot YAC. He is small and doesn't have a great arm. As has also been said WF has said he doesn't need a great runner at QB in his system.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Per Football Scoop
Tulane: Per source, expect Willie Fritz to bring a large number of his staff to Tulane. Sources tell us both offensive coordinator Doug Ruse and defensive coordinator Jack Curtis will go along with offensive line coach Alex Atkins, tight ends Chad Lunsford, linebackers coach Michael Munz, director of football operations Shane Meyer and more. Others will come as well; but the situation isn’t as clear for some of those just yet.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

Hopefully we will hear after the Go Daddy bowl today. I hope that he brings to Tulane the best people on his Georgia Southern staff.
OUG
Riptide

When you watch these bowl games though, you'll be hard pressed to find teams that don't incorporate the option in some form in their attack. It probably won't be your standard wishbone triple option. The run/pass read-option out of multiple sets with a mobile QB is a dangerous and exciting offense.
dpm wave
Swell

Not sure if this was mentioned in any other thread, but I'll put it here simply because it's getting the most attention right now.

The Ga. Southern OOC schedule in the next 5 years includes: Ole Miss, Ga Tech, Auburn, IU, UMass, Clemson and LSU.

Granted those are all road games, but shows that Ga. Southern was interested in lining up quality OOC opponents.

UNI has always had 1 or 2 FBS opponents on their schedules since TD has been there.
Wavetime
Swell

Coach Fritz said he was not going to run the triple option. It's right there in the interview. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:Coach Fritz said he was not going to run the triple option. It's right there in the interview. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
This.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned in any other thread, but I'll put it here simply because it's getting the most attention right now.

The Ga. Southern OOC schedule in the next 5 years includes: Ole Miss, Ga Tech, Auburn, IU, UMass, Clemson and LSU.

Granted those are all road games, but shows that Ga. Southern was interested in lining up quality OOC opponents.

UNI has always had 1 or 2 FBS opponents on their schedules since TD has been there.
Pays their bills. But they have been able to remain competitive with those teams.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

:P
Few schools in FBS attempt more passes than rushes. Those that primarily pass are schools like Wazzu and TTech. Even when King ran RR's read option, Tulane ran well more than they passed.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

puffy wrote::P
Few schools in FBS attempt more passes than rushes. Those that primarily pass are schools like Wazzu and TTech. Even when King ran RR's read option, Tulane ran well more than they passed.
No doubt.
OUG
Riptide

Watching the team that Fritz built at GS play the team that Babers built at BGSU... I won't say that we definitively got the better coach, but this GS team is VERY well built and VERY well coached. This not some plodding option team. There is legitimate speed and athleticism, and they would definitely kick 2015 Tulane's butt.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Georgia Southern scored more points in their bowl game than Tulane scored all season......almost. Can't wait for Fritz and Staff to get to work at Tulane.
puffy
Surge

OUG wrote:Watching the team that Fritz built at GS play the team that Babers built at BGSU... I won't say that we definitively got the better coach, but this GS team is VERY well built and VERY well coached. This not some plodding option team. There is legitimate speed and athleticism, and they would definitely kick 2015 Tulane's butt.
Both are quality HCs, although Fritz is far more accomplished and has a much longer track record as a head coach than Babers. Fritz has a better chance of success in the AAC at Tulane than Babers does in the ACC at Syracuse.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And how about defensive adjustments? BGSU scores 27 in the first half, and 0 in the second half. And the GSU DC Jack Curtis is supposedly coming with Fritz.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Tulane will play in a bowl game in 2016!
51WaveBG
High Tide

It was fun watching coaches who knew what they were doing. Excellent adjustments @ half-time. Hope most of them come to TU w/WF.
Wave755
Tsunami

GSU looked great tonight, well coached and well disciplined. We haven't look that good since Bowden/RR. Let's hope we now get the entire GSU staff as a post-Christmas present.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

puffy wrote:
OUG wrote:Watching the team that Fritz built at GS play the team that Babers built at BGSU... I won't say that we definitively got the better coach, but this GS team is VERY well built and VERY well coached. This not some plodding option team. There is legitimate speed and athleticism, and they would definitely kick 2015 Tulane's butt.
Both are quality HCs, although Fritz is far more accomplished and has a much longer track record as a head coach than Babers. Fritz has a better chance of success in the AAC at Tulane than Babers does in the ACC at Syracuse.
Because one coaches former team beat the other coaches former team? In a game that turned on weather related turnovers? I don't know that I can jump to any comparison of the two coaches and their chances of success based upon this game. I do think that GSU was a very well coached and disciplined team, something we haven't seen at Tulane this century.

I also know that any option team had better have great team speed. We've seen what plodding option teams look like...they typically find a way to play .500 against Tulane and other similar programs and about .250 overall. I'm talking about our big rivals, the Black Knights of the Hudson.