Stupid Crap We Said (Year End Edition)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

It's amusing to read passionate quotes from my fellow gotula.net posters who are confident they have all the answers (if only everyone would just listen :) ). I confess...I have posted some really stupid crap. Admit it, you have too! As an amusing exercise, I scanned threads from the last couple years looking for posts that would be considered 'most outrageous' when viewed with 2016 optics. I've listed some of my favorites below. Note: I didn't list any of Jonathan's because....well, you know why.

Got any that you would consider "most outrageous" ?
sader24 wrote: (On giving Curtis Johnson a raise and extension) ...it needs to be $1m minimum. We went cheap, if he gets us to a bowl it's time to ante up along with increased salaries for Coordinators. It would be the 1st contract extension someone has actually earned around here in a long time.
mbawavefan12 wrote: ...Curtis Johnson has local prospects believing in his vision for the program and Tulane ... but this could also mean someone else will swoop in.....get this man a raise ASAP!
WaveQB wrote:I for one have believed in CJ since the day he was hired. I really wanted Rich Rod and Mike Hayward, but I was fine with CJ's hire. Even though position coaches usually don't work, I knew this was a different ball game. The man knows talent and has the right mind frame to win. He is bringing winning coaches and players. He is finding every bit of Louisiana recruits who are being overlooked. He wants to build something special in New Orleans besides the Saints. Although many threw shots at me for being behind CJ, he showed me that he was the man for the job in the Rutgers game. We lost, but we looked like a FBS program. We have not looked like that in a long time. Also, people don't realize how many games could have been won last season if weren't for the set backs. CJ is a winner, give the man time to work his magic. Guys like CJ take the worst jobs and turn things around quickly.
OGSB wrote:(On giving Johnson a raise/extension)...I think a reward in the form of pay and extension are warranted to keep this program going in the right direction.
wavefan03 wrote:I think CJ is a better coach than Bowden.
DfromCT wrote:I think it would be awesome if we could keep the staff intact for a third year. Not easy to do, but raises are in order. Then again, if a position coach has an opportunity to become a coordinator, he's got to jump. Not sure any of our coordinators are ready to be HC's, but heck, CJ wasn't a coordinator, either!

Get out the checkbook and pay CJ and his staff. Don't mess this one up, RD.
WaveQB wrote:One of my LSU buddies told me that some LSU fans love CJ over Les Miles. He also said, " CJ is being groomed to take over after Les goes away." Now of course this is all talk, but it did make me think for a minute. CJ has NFL connections and is a well respected recruiter. Turning our program around to a 9 or more winning team or C-USA championship team in only 2 years is going to make a few last place ACC, Big 12 and SEC schools pay attention and ask questions. The good thing is CJ loves New Orleans and loves Tulane for giving him a long awaited shot.
sader24 wrote:(On giving Johnson a raise/extension) Anything less than a 5 year $1.5 million per extension will be a mistake.
And here's one of the most outrageous:
GreenLantern wrote:"And with the 32nd pick in the 2018 draft, the New Orleans Saints select Tanner Lee."

One can dream.

greenphantom
Swell

Lol. You can add all the comments from people who after the 1st 2 games were predicting Ga Tech in the playoffs and Duke as a 10 win team.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Postby ajcalhoun » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Call me crazy, but I think we can win seven or eight, possibly more. I am stone-cold confident we win at least six (Maine, Temple, UConn, Army, SMU, and Tulsa.)

I think we have a shot at upsetting Duke in the opener, and if we do, that could give our guys some serious self-confidence that could carry over the entire season.

I don't think we'll beat Ga. Teach at Atlanta.

I think we'll crush Maine.

I think we stand a chance against UCF.

I think we'll beat Temple.

I think we stand a chance against Houston.

I think we stand a chance against Navy.

I think we stand a chance against Memphis.

After that I think we'll blow through the tail end of the schedule.

As bad as we looked last year, this year's schedule is full of winnable games. The only game I see us as having very little shot at winning is at Georgia Tech.

BTW I predicted 12-0 in the summer of '98.
God Bless Everyone!
nawlinspete
Riptide

LetMeTellYou's posts.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
sader24
Tsunami

My position all along is that we need to pay the Head Coaching position a certain amount of money regardless of the performance of said coach that puts us in the Top 4 salary wise. Feel free to go read the many times I've stated that.
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:My position all along is that we need to pay the Head Coaching position a certain amount of money regardless of the performance of said coach that puts us in the Top 4 salary wise. Feel free to go read the many times I've stated that.
And, we want Larry Coker!!! :lolgreen: :lolgreen: :lolgreen:
TURVS71
Swell

That I wanted a new university president, a new athletic director and a new football coach ...pretty stupid huh?
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote:It's amusing to read passionate quotes from my fellow gotula.net posters who are confident they have all the answers (if only everyone would just listen :) ). I confess...I have posted some really stupid crap. Admit it, you have too! As an amusing exercise, I scanned threads from the last couple years looking for posts that would be considered 'most outrageous' when viewed with 2016 optics. I've listed some of my favorites below. Note: I didn't list any of Jonathan's because....well, you know why.

Got any that you would consider "most outrageous" ?
sader24 wrote: (On giving Curtis Johnson a raise and extension) ...it needs to be $1m minimum. We went cheap, if he gets us to a bowl it's time to ante up along with increased salaries for Coordinators. It would be the 1st contract extension someone has actually earned around here in a long time.
mbawavefan12 wrote: ...Curtis Johnson has local prospects believing in his vision for the program and Tulane ... but this could also mean someone else will swoop in.....get this man a raise ASAP!
WaveQB wrote:I for one have believed in CJ since the day he was hired. I really wanted Rich Rod and Mike Hayward, but I was fine with CJ's hire. Even though position coaches usually don't work, I knew this was a different ball game. The man knows talent and has the right mind frame to win. He is bringing winning coaches and players. He is finding every bit of Louisiana recruits who are being overlooked. He wants to build something special in New Orleans besides the Saints. Although many threw shots at me for being behind CJ, he showed me that he was the man for the job in the Rutgers game. We lost, but we looked like a FBS program. We have not looked like that in a long time. Also, people don't realize how many games could have been won last season if weren't for the set backs. CJ is a winner, give the man time to work his magic. Guys like CJ take the worst jobs and turn things around quickly.
OGSB wrote:(On giving Johnson a raise/extension)...I think a reward in the form of pay and extension are warranted to keep this program going in the right direction.
wavefan03 wrote:I think CJ is a better coach than Bowden.
DfromCT wrote:I think it would be awesome if we could keep the staff intact for a third year. Not easy to do, but raises are in order. Then again, if a position coach has an opportunity to become a coordinator, he's got to jump. Not sure any of our coordinators are ready to be HC's, but heck, CJ wasn't a coordinator, either!

Get out the checkbook and pay CJ and his staff. Don't mess this one up, RD.
WaveQB wrote:One of my LSU buddies told me that some LSU fans love CJ over Les Miles. He also said, " CJ is being groomed to take over after Les goes away." Now of course this is all talk, but it did make me think for a minute. CJ has NFL connections and is a well respected recruiter. Turning our program around to a 9 or more winning team or C-USA championship team in only 2 years is going to make a few last place ACC, Big 12 and SEC schools pay attention and ask questions. The good thing is CJ loves New Orleans and loves Tulane for giving him a long awaited shot.
sader24 wrote:(On giving Johnson a raise/extension) Anything less than a 5 year $1.5 million per extension will be a mistake.
And here's one of the most outrageous:
GreenLantern wrote:"And with the 32nd pick in the 2018 draft, the New Orleans Saints select Tanner Lee."

One can dream.

I must confess, I posted earlier this season that I didn't think we would average more than 8 points per game this year. I was wrong, we almost doubled that at 15.66 points per game this season. On the other hand, I pushed for WF four years ago, and thought he had the inside track on the HC job this year. I thought it would come down to WF or Hudspeth (oops :headbash: :headbash: ).
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Let's hope some of my optimistic posts these past two weeks don't look as foolish as some of what I posted during the first half of 2013. Two years from now, I hope we're all overjoyed with TD and WF.

We did have a lot of good fortune the first half of that (2013) season, and even CJ said that team should have won 9 or 10 games that year. There was little or no offense the whole season, and having Cairo Santos was the best threat we had. CJ left a whole lot of W's on the table during his four years as head coach. That's why I don't think we're going to be sitting home watching the dot com bowl next year or very often the next few years.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OGSB
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
:oops:
Livin' rent free
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Let's hope some of my optimistic posts these past two weeks don't look as foolish as some of what I posted during the first half of 2013. Two years from now, I hope we're all overjoyed with TD and WF.
If you're wrong about TD and WF, almost all of us will have been wrong. I'm beginning to feel a little like Buddy D. I hope that I live long enough to see the Wave in a respectable bowl game.
GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: I pushed for WF four years ago, and thought he had the inside track on the HC job this year. I thought it would come down to WF or Hudspeth (oops :headbash: :headbash: ).
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if Messrs. Dickson, Cowen and their brain trust were even aware of WF. It's probably a safe assumption that if a particular strategy was a wise one that it was quickly dismissed by that crew.
greenphantom
Swell

Some of those CJ comments must have been right after the 2013 Tulsa game. It was all downhill after that.
sader24
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
sader24 wrote:My position all along is that we need to pay the Head Coaching position a certain amount of money regardless of the performance of said coach that puts us in the Top 4 salary wise. Feel free to go read the many times I've stated that.

Think you got the wrong person, I've never wanted or said I wanted Larry Coker.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Think you got the wrong person, I've never wanted or said I wanted Larry Coker.
Sader....wave755 posted he wanted Larry Coker, in response to your post...all things considered, he would have been a massive upgrade over one Curtis Johnson, who can now paint coconuts in peace
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Let's hope some of my optimistic posts these past two weeks don't look as foolish as some of what I posted during the first half of 2013. Two years from now, I hope we're all overjoyed with TD and WF.

We did have a lot of good fortune the first half of that (2013) season, and even CJ said that team should have won 9 or 10 games that year. There was little or no offense the whole season, and having Cairo Santos was the best threat we had. CJ left a whole lot of W's on the table during his four years as head coach. That's why I don't think we're going to be sitting home watching the dot com bowl next year or very often the next few years.

Yes sir. I backed CJ through his first season up to the second half of the 2013 season. However, he just totally fell off after the FAU game.

I didn't believe that he would keep Price as well. That was a terrible decision. The 2014 edition of Curtis Johnson was just perfect example of a inexperienced HC. If any of your coaches or member of your staff is bad at what they are doing, you fire them! CJ lost his job because he didn't manage a winning football program. Being a nice guy and giving too many chances can bite you where the Wave doesn't flow.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote:

Yes sir. I backed CJ through his first season up to the second half of the 2013 season. However, he just totally fell off after the FAU game.

I didn't believe that he would keep Price as well. That was a terrible decision. The 2014 edition of Curtis Johnson was just perfect example of a inexperienced HC. If any of your coaches or member of your staff is bad at what they are doing, you fire them! CJ lost his job because he didn't manage a winning football program. Being a nice guy and giving too many chances can bite you where the Wave doesn't flow.
considering the internal fallout after the season, I am not sure CJ qualifies as a "nice guy"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote:
HoustonWave wrote: I pushed for WF four years ago, and thought he had the inside track on the HC job this year. I thought it would come down to WF or Hudspeth (oops :headbash: :headbash: ).
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if Messrs. Dickson, Cowen and their brain trust were even aware of WF. It's probably a safe assumption that if a particular strategy was a wise one that it was quickly dismissed by that crew.
Going back four years ago, I don't know if Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum every really considered WF--probably not. It doesn't really matter whether they considered him because I'm pretty sure there was no way they could have attracted a coach of that caliber. We got WF because we had TD doing the recruiting. TD is crucial in all of this, not just because he's vastly more talented that Tricky Ricky, but because he also represents a new order at Tulane. No talented coach in his right mind would have immersed himself into the Cow/Dick cesspool.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Going back four years ago, I don't know if Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum every really considered WF--probably not. It doesn't really matter whether they considered him because I'm pretty sure there was no way they could have attracted a coach of that caliber. We got WF because we had TD doing the recruiting. TD is crucial in all of this, not just because he's vastly more talented that Tricky Ricky, but because he also represents a new order at Tulane. No talented coach in his right mind would have immersed himself into the Cow/Dick cesspool.
I still believe, that Benson bought CJ his job at Tulane.... Benson's 5 million dollar donation came with the stipulation that CJ got hired... CJ was going to be fired by the Saints, the Benson's like the guy for some unknown reason.. Benson got a 5 mill write off of his taxes and CJ got a job he was totally unqualified for... Tulane needs to investigate the football program under CJ and his treatment of players.. I bet he could be fired "with cause" and not owed one penny
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
I still believe, that Benson bought CJ his job at Tulane.... Benson's 5 million dollar donation came with the stipulation that CJ got hired... CJ was going to be fired by the Saints, the Benson's like the guy for some unknown reason.. Benson got a 5 mill write off of his taxes and CJ got a job he was totally unqualified for... Tulane needs to investigate he football program under CJ and his treatment of players.. I bet he could be fired "with cause" and not owed one penny
Good idea about the investigation, it might save us some money. On the other hand, maybe the Bensons will pony up for CJ's severance package. You're probably right about about the Benson cram down of CJ--nothing else could explain hiring somebody like CJ as the head coach, except of course that Tricky Ricky was our AD. Either way, Tulane's athletic department was rife with incompetence and even corruption during the Cow/Dick years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and just like "as seen on TV"....Wait, there's more !!!! ...after CJ's "reign of error" one can only hope we see a few meltdowns at Yulman and other venues

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14371629
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Absolutely.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
I still believe, that Benson bought CJ his job at Tulane.... Benson's 5 million dollar donation came with the stipulation that CJ got hired... CJ was going to be fired by the Saints, the Benson's like the guy for some unknown reason.. Benson got a 5 mill write off of his taxes and CJ got a job he was totally unqualified for... Tulane needs to investigate he football program under CJ and his treatment of players.. I bet he could be fired "with cause" and not owed one penny
Good idea about the investigation, it might save us some money. On the other hand, maybe the Bensons will pony up for CJ's severance package. You're probably right about about the Benson cram down of CJ--nothing else could explain hiring somebody like CJ as the head coach, except of course that Tricky Ricky was our AD. Either way, Tulane's athletic department was rife with incompetence and even corruption during the Cow/Dick years.
Audit Rick Dickson and SC finances around the time of CJ hiring and Benson's donation... I wonder if there was a large deposit in any of his or SC accoiunt's
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Y'all seem to be forgetting that we tried offering the job to a number of others first. We gave CJ the job because no one else would take it.

If anyone is to be investigated, it's not CJ, who is only receiving market compensation for his efforts, which were unfortunately the best he was able to do. The real crooks are Cowen and Dickson, who have made millions by perpetuating this farce