Welcome Aboard Willie Fritz and staff!!!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenGears
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote:Just a little side note to all this...

We need to get more posters to this board. In the three weeks from Nov 21-Dec 11, we had 39 pages on a thread for a new HC. In nine days, Georgia Southern has 181 pages on their thread for a new HC!

And they ended up with Tyson Summers, DC from Colorado State. Not a happy bunch of campers.
I'll try to post more, but I don't know if I can promise you 181 pages.

LSU-MD
Low Tide

I think yall made a slamdunk hire with Willie Fritz. I have been swamped at work this month (the life of a first year intern). I wish yall the best of luck and look forward to seeing to Tulane in the Miami Beach Bowl as the AAC's tie in next year, and then the Orange Bowl in 2018.

P.S.
Any advice on how to deal with a president and AD that are driving your athletic department into a boulder would be appreciated. What is the best kind of alcohol for the situation, bourbon or rum? TIA
RobertM320
Green Wave

LSU-MD wrote:I think yall made a slamdunk hire with Willie Fritz. I have been swamped at work this month (the life of a first year intern). I wish yall the best of luck and look forward to seeing to Tulane in the Miami Beach Bowl as the AAC's tie in next year, and then the Orange Bowl in 2018.

P.S.
Any advice on how to deal with a president and AD that are driving your athletic department into a boulder would be appreciated. What is the best kind of alcohol for the situation, bourbon or rum? TIA
LMAO! Unfortunately, we're probably the experts in that matter. Hopefully, that's over now.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got word Jason Rollins was retained.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Just got word Jason Rollins was retained.
I am hopeful LW can be fitted into the program as well...it may be in administration or recruiting, but his name means a great deal in the river parish's and metro NOLA
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good for him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
I am hopeful LW can be fitted into the program as well...it may be in administration or recruiting, but his name means a great deal in the river parish's and metro NOLA
He was only staying if offered DC job. Maybe he gets the HC job at NE La.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
ULM already hired a coach. Maybe you meant McNeese State.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Yes thanks!
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Happy for Rollins and Tulane. It will be interesting to see what kind of recruiting he can do when he gets to sell a winning program!
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Yes thanks!
McNeese St hired their head coach last week, two days after Viator took the ULM job.

I don't blame Washington for not wanting to take a demotion (if he was offered a position coach spot on the staff by Fritz to begin with). At 55 yo, the time for him to land a HC job at the FBS/FCS level is closing fast. At the same time, it's probably better to be coaching rather than sitting out any measurable period of time while another DC opportunity presents itself. Even though the defense was the last of Tulane's problems last season, it still wasn't good.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

LSU-MD wrote:I think yall made a slamdunk hire with Willie Fritz. I have been swamped at work this month (the life of a first year intern). I wish yall the best of luck and look forward to seeing to Tulane in the Miami Beach Bowl as the AAC's tie in next year, and then the Orange Bowl in 2018.

P.S.
I normally drink scotch and bourbon. But rum and coke has been my numbing agent for Tulane football for 44 years. It's the only time I drink rum and coke, and there is no way I could have made it through 44 years of Tulane football without large quantities of it. :2thumbs:
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenLantern
Riptide

First let me state that no one is happier than me about the hiring of Willie Fritz and the prospects of Tulane football.

Having said that, does anyone else feel a little slimy about the number of Georgia Southern commits that have been recruited by Tulane? It appears that as many as one third of their recruiting class have received offers. We hire their head coach (Oorah!) and will probably hire most of their coaching staff (their next coach would have wanted his own staff anyway). This is all acceptable protocol as defined by the unwritten college athletics rules of engagement.

However proceeding to poach a large number of their recruiting class appears to be inflicting a scorched earth policy. I understand that there may be a special and personal relationship between coach Fritz and one or two GS recruits that would explain those offers. But 6-8 others?

Two years from now if Coach Fritz were to leave Tulane and attempt to take the entire recruiting class with him, I would be ready to napalm the hiring college.

What say you? Let the flaming begin.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's business. Plus if he leaves in two years it means he will have been very successful and we'll make an even better hire who will have no problem recruiting. JUST WIN BABY.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think it's quite common for coaches to bring recruits with them. After all, the recruits are committing as much or more to the coach and coaching staff as they are to the school. Houston had about half a dozen recruits follow their (new) coach, including the only 5 star recruit that went to a non P5 last year.

What concerns me more is the fact that GaSouthern recruits that were going to be playing in the Sunbelt are now being recruited to play in the AAC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:First let me state that no one is happier than me about the hiring of Willie Fritz and the prospects of Tulane football.

Having said that, does anyone else feel a little slimy about the number of Georgia Southern commits that have been recruited by Tulane? It appears that as many as one third of their recruiting class have received offers. We hire their head coach (Oorah!) and will probably hire most of their coaching staff (their next coach would have wanted his own staff anyway). This is all acceptable protocol as defined by the unwritten college athletics rules of engagement.

However proceeding to poach a large number of their recruiting class appears to be inflicting a scorched earth policy. I understand that there may be a special and personal relationship between coach Fritz and one or two GS recruits that would explain those offers. But 6-8 others?

Two years from now if Coach Fritz were to leave Tulane and attempt to take the entire recruiting class with him, I would be ready to napalm the hiring college.

I have a problem with it. It doesn't seem very ethical. Fritz and his staff spent time and money building relationships with those kids on Georgia Southern's dime and now they're using it for Tulane's benefit. Doesn't seem right. But what else bothers me is that Fritz is taking Georgi Southern/Sun Belt talent and recruiting it for Tulane when I expect him to go after a higher caliber Football player of the P5/AAC level. He better not be recruiting Sun Belt talent for Tulane. He has to step up his game in the recruiting wars. I looked at the offers some those kids have and I see Appalachian St, Arkansas St, Southern Miss, Jacksonville St. That should not be Tulane's competition!

I remember when Bowden went to Clemson, Tulane had a highly regarded running back named Chad Jasmin committed and Bowden got him to sign with him at Clemson. I think he was the only player Bowden took away from Tulane.
Mack Brown did some recruiting for North Carolina on Tulane's dime. Remember, Mack had already accepted the North Carolina job and still coached Tulane in the Independence Bowl. He was recruiting for North Carolina while still at Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I do not have an issue with it...most kids sign with a coach not a school, no matter what the NCAA guidebook touts, example CJ get's fired recruits de-committ...a new coach at Ga Southern may wish to have his own recruits, not someone elses...it was just a few years ago some people on this board was pizzed because Tulane made CJ honor the commits from the previous staff...

others post hiring grades...not sure if post previously:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... re-in-2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /77628580/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:First let me state that no one is happier than me about the hiring of Willie Fritz and the prospects of Tulane football.

When football coaches are given full tenure I will rant and rave 'till the cows come home against recruit poaching, we both know that will never happen so poach away.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I have no problem with it, it's just the nature of the beast. We were on the wrong side of this equation when Bowden left--of course nobody hired those heavier hitters Scelfo, Toledo or CJ. I suspect that Ga. Southern's new coach will bring a number of his recruits with him to Ga Southern. It's just the domino effect in the dog-eat-dog world of college football. Either you play to win, or you don't.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

Coach Willie Fritz doing work!

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... iver_index
In fact, the new head man is personally recruiting Scott, along with Tulane ace recruiter Jason Rollins, who is the team's defensive backs coach.

Scott is picking up a lot of interest from major programs such as Texas A&M, which could complicate things for Tulane, but the groundwork has been put in to give the Green Wave a reasonable chance to sway the dynamic quarterback. The Syracuse commit is expected to visit Tulane in the near future.
Scott's teammate, wide receiver Douglas Coleman is also receiving increased attention from the Wave. Coleman has an official visit scheduled for January. Coleman is a versatile athlete who could play wide receiver or defensive back at the next level.
University Lab standout athlete Tre Jackson finds himself in a peculiar situation. The long-time South Carolina commitment is currently in limbo, as the head coaching change in Columbia has turned a clear decision into a cloudy situation.

Jackson is being courted by Rollins, and sources state that Tulane may have the edge in obtaining Jackson's services, which would be a huge pull for Fritz and his staff.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wondering (hoping) if Coach Fritz's vision of a dual option quarterback is similar to what I just saw from Clemson. Exciting! it will be interesting to see how that stacks up against Alabama ( assuming Alabama beats Michigan State )
cajunfanatico
Swell

I've not looked at this thread in a while but your bolded comments above GL caught my attention since we had the same discussion on the Sunbelt forum. For the record, I'm in your camp on the subject, especially as it relates to "still-committed" athletes that were recruited while on another school's payroll.

Fritz should be a good hire for Tulane as he's been a winner at every level he's coached. There were some interesting comments about him from some of the GaSouthern faithful once it was disclosed that he was interviewing for this job, though I guess that's to be expected.

I've not looked at the thread on his staffing. Can anyone confirm if his son Wes will be on his Tulane staff?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes his son is on the staff.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I have no problem with it. This is what happens when you hire a winner!!! When is the last time we hired a winner who was a head coach?!?! I'm sick of losing and I want to win! You can't try and be Harvard Monday thru Friday and then try and be Michigan on Saturday! Just win baby!!!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
Eaglewave
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:

I have no problem with it. This is what happens when you hire a winner!!! When is the last time we hired a winner who was a head coach?!?! I'm sick of losing and I want to win! You can't try and be Harvard Monday thru Friday and then try and be Michigan on Saturday! Just win baby!!!
Yeah. It's time to win. I want to hear about more transfers and JUCO stars coming to our program as well. It's time to win games and take road trips to bowl games with family and friends. I have begged for a coach like WF to take over here and now my wish has come true. I am ready!
Ball Sumrall!