Welcome Aboard Willie Fritz and staff!!!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
alumniwave wrote:True. Fitz's history shows he gets his teams ready every week. Disciplined ball coach.
The notable exception, and it's a craw in the nerves of GaSouthern fans, is their last game hosting Georgia State. They lost, at home, 34-7 and many of their fans on the AAC board call it the worst home loss in Eagles history. My guess is that GaState, being an in-state rival that has less notoriety than GaSouthern, was fired up and playing for bowl eligibility and jumped all over the Eagles. I'm fired up for coach Fritz, but I'm sure he wishes that wasn't his last game in Statesboro.
You are right. A friend of mine who lives in Georgia says that GSU fans were plenty pissed, but reports that he was considered for other HC positions had surfaced leading up to the game.

Also, GSU fans also claimed that Frtiz doesn't beat good teams, but takes out the trash. The same guy who I referenced above told me, "If your FBS team has only 5 good programs on the schedule, Fritz will finish the season 7-5 at worst."

I guess that is a good thing considering what we have been through.
Rather than listen to pizzed off fan's who just lost their Coach... I will read the man's record.....
This.

HoustonWave
Tsunami

CJ didn't even know what the "things" were--big or little. He was completely lost in his HC role.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:CJ didn't even know what the "things" were--big or little. He was completely lost in his HC role.
And he was given a raise and contract extension.
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:I cannot wait for the staff to be announced...that will tell us where Fritz will concentrate recruiting
Apparently a significant percentage of his staff will be announced after the Georgia Southern bowl game. Great sign if his staff wants to transfer and remain with Coach Fritz.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I cannot wait for the staff to be announced...that will tell us where Fritz will concentrate recruiting
Apparently a significant percentage of his staff will be announced after the Georgia Southern bowl game. Great sign if his staff wants to transfer and remain with Coach Fritz.
I'm betting that most of the GSU staff will come with WF--which will be great for us. We won't have to worry about building new chemistry within the staff, and I suspect they will all know what to do and when to do it, without WF having to say a word. I think we are getting a lot more than just a new HC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
I'm betting that most of the GSU staff will come with WF--which will be great for us. We won't have to worry about building new chemistry within the staff, and I suspect they will all know what to do and when to do it, without WF having to say a word. I think we are getting a lot more than just a new HC.
I agree, the vast majority will come to Tulane...Rollins or LW may remain, one on the coaching side, the other, as recruiting coordinator....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
His strength coach may be coming as well. It appears no coach from the current staff will be retained.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DrBox
Riptide

I can see not retaining Rollins if he isn't been retained...he's been on 2 staffs that didn't work out. Need a fresh face to sell the locals on Tulane.
Fritz didn't sound that enthused above keeping current staff when asked about it. We'll see.
But we will need a couple of La coaches for sure.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would be happy if they kept Lionel Washington on board. I think he's an asset on many levels, including recruiting Louisiana talent.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I suspect that WF has a system which includes football philosophy, organization, training methods, asst. coaches, the whole package--just the opposite of CJ, who had literally none of that, even when he was finally flushed. From day one, under CJ, it was chaos. As far as the Louisiana recruiting, WF may need some new recruiters--Frank Monica's name always comes up during such discussions--is he even still around? How about Terrance Jones, who never seemed to get an opportunity with Toledo or CJ. I think Terrance has always had a great interest in Tulane's football program.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:I suspect that WF has a system which includes football philosophy, organization, training methods, asst. coaches, the whole package--just the opposite of CJ, who had literally none of that, even when he was finally flushed. From day one, under CJ, it was chaos. As far as the Louisiana recruiting, WF may need some new recruiters--Frank Monica's name always comes up during such discussions--is he even still around? How about Terrance Jones, who never seemed to get an opportunity with Toledo or CJ. I think Terrance has always had a great interest in Tulane's football program.
Until recently Terrance was employed by Tulane is some Alumni or TAF function... Monica would be a plus only as a recruiting coordinator, I do not think he has the energy to be on the sidelines that is needed at this time at Tulane....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think Monica is coaching at St. Charles Catholic HS in LaPlace still.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ExileWave
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:I suspect that WF has a system which includes football philosophy, organization, training methods, asst. coaches, the whole package--just the opposite of CJ, who had literally none of that, even when he was finally flushed. From day one, under CJ, it was chaos. As far as the Louisiana recruiting, WF may need some new recruiters--Frank Monica's name always comes up during such discussions--is he even still around? How about Terrance Jones, who never seemed to get an opportunity with Toledo or CJ. I think Terrance has always had a great interest in Tulane's football program.
Until recently Terrance was employed by Tulane is some Alumni or TAF function... Monica would be a plus only as a recruiting coordinator, I do not think he has the energy to be on the sidelines that is needed at this time at Tulane....
T. Jones left Tulane when RD would not hire him in the athletic dept. He was working in the alumni office at the time. He went to his home parish ( St. John (?) as head of recreation I believe. He looks like he could still play and would be perfect for WF's offense lol.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ExileWave wrote: T. Jones left Tulane when RD would not hire him in the athletic dept. He was working in the alumni office at the time. He went to his home parish ( St. John (?) as head of recreation I believe. He looks like he could still play and would be perfect for WF's offense lol.
I heard from a few different players that I met last year that Rick Dickson didn't give a nickel's worth of attention, and couldn't give the time of day to athletes that preceded his tenure at Tulane. One in particular, a former FB captain no less, hated RD passionately as a result. This man was very cool, spending a good 15 minutes sharing his experiences with me about his daughter that went through a medical crisis similar to what I was going through with my son. Certainly, he showed me that he was a bigger man than Rick Dickson.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

That's one thing I sure hope TD plans on changing. I hope he reaches out to our former players, because they're the names that would connect with the people that were once fans but have drifted away. Back when I was in school, people talked about the Warren Bankstons, Steve Foleys and Bobby Duhons. Now it would be the Matt Fortes, Roch Hontas, Terrence Jones, Shaun King, etc. We need to take advantage of that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
MicMan
Swell

When I applied I had my alumni interview with Bobby Duhon. Had no idea who he was, which was just as well, I would have had stars in my eyes.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:When I applied I had my alumni interview with Bobby Duhon. Had no idea who he was, which was just as well, I would have had stars in my eyes.
If I remember correctly, and this is going back to when freshman were not able to play varsity, there was a QB from Hammond, LA named Warren Bankston, because of Duhon ole Banksotn was moved to various positions like TE...and a postion that finally was called H-Back...becasue of that Warren had a nice career with Oakland and Pittsburg, I think he has 4 super bowl rings...I also think he own's several TruckStop America ( T A )..I think there is one near I-55 @ I-12
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I think Monica is coaching at St. Charles Catholic HS in LaPlace still.
Not to be crass, but we need recruiters half his age.

Juluke would be good.
ricard would be interesting.
DrBox
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:
T. Jones left Tulane when RD would not hire him in the athletic dept.
Geeze. My goodness that's just nutty.

And yet Dickson employed SIDs who block fans on twitter.
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:
MicMan wrote:When I applied I had my alumni interview with Bobby Duhon. Had no idea who he was, which was just as well, I would have had stars in my eyes.
If I remember correctly, and this is going back to when freshman were not able to play varsity, there was a QB from Hammond, LA named Warren Bankston, because of Duhon ole Banksotn was moved to various positions like TE...and a postion that finally was called H-Back...becasue of that Warren had a nice career with Oakland and Pittsburg, I think he has 4 super bowl rings...I also think he own's several TruckStop America ( T A )..I think there is one near I-55 @ I-12
I think that's correct, nut. Bankston was moved to RB, and had a pretty decent career in the NFL. Also, speaking of when freshmen couldn't play on the varsity, wasn't Jaime Garza the first freshman to play? In fact, Dr. Jaime Garza would be another person the school should reconnect with.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I think that's correct, nut. Bankston was moved to RB, and had a pretty decent career in the NFL. Also, speaking of when freshmen couldn't play on the varsity, wasn't Jaime Garza the first freshman to play? In fact, Dr. Jaime Garza would be another person the school should reconnect with.
I remember Doc Garza catching a TD pass against Georgia on a Saturday afternoon played at famed Tulane Stadium on a ABC televised game of the week...for some reason I was siting in the South end zone, and the play happened right in front of us...Tulane won the game... Garza is someone that needs to reached out to, the man is well known in his home town of San Antonio for his charitable work... He is someone that needs to be contacted..TD, take this man to lunch...Hell I will even pay for it !!!!... Tulane Athletics needs to reach out and reconnect with ALL past Athletes, Men and Women, they are your biggest allies and friends..just because they are no longer at Tulane does not mean they are not connected with sports and with social media being what it is, they can be one hell of a force to be dealt with... TD, per your interview with Lenny VanGilder.... Learn form the past, so we do not repeat it !!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I remember Doc Garza catching a TD pass against Georgia on a Saturday afternoon played at famed Tulane Stadium on a ABC televised game of the week...for some reason I was siting in the South end zone, and the play happened right in front of us...Tulane won the game... Garza is someone that needs to reached out to, the man is well known in his home town of San Antonio for his charitable work... He is someone that needs to be contacted..TD, take this man to lunch...Hell I will even pay for it !!!!... Tulane Athletics needs to reach out and reconnect with ALL past Athletes, Men and Women, they are your biggest allies and friends..just because they are no longer at Tulane does not mean they are not connected with sports and with social media being what it is, they can be one hell of a force to be dealt with... TD, per your interview with Lenny VanGilder.... Learn form the past, so we do not repeat it !!!!
I remember that afternoon Georgia game (fall of 1972) very well. It was hot as hades, and my frat required us all to wear ties for each game--absolutely brutal that day. I remember what a novelty it was to have Jaime Garza, a freshman, playing with the varsity.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
ExileWave wrote: T. Jones left Tulane when RD would not hire him in the athletic dept. He was working in the alumni office at the time. He went to his home parish ( St. John (?) as head of recreation I believe. He looks like he could still play and would be perfect for WF's offense lol.
I heard from a few different players that I met last year that Rick Dickson didn't give a nickel's worth of attention, and couldn't give the time of day to athletes that preceded his tenure at Tulane. One in particular, a former FB captain no less, hated RD passionately as a result. This man was very cool, spending a good 15 minutes sharing his experiences with me about his daughter that went through a medical crisis similar to what I was going through with my son. Certainly, he showed me that he was a bigger man than Rick Dickson.
Over the next year or so, I suspect a lot of these sordid Tricky Ricky stories are going to begin to surface. It is literally stomach turning how disgusting this guy is. Of course he didn't have to reach out to anybody (past players, alums or fans) as he knew he was untouchable as long as the Cowen era continued. The whole thing is revolting--it's like Tulane is only now climbing out of the darkness of a very sad chapter in its history.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Over the next year or so, I suspect a lot of these sordid Tricky Ricky stories are going to begin to surface. It is literally stomach turning how disgusting this guy is. Of course he didn't have to reach out to anybody (past players, alums or fans) as he knew he was untouchable as long as the Cowen era continued. The whole thing is revolting--it's like Tulane is only now climbing out of the darkness of a very sad chapter in its history.
Well said.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just a little side note to all this...

We need to get more posters to this board. In the three weeks from Nov 21-Dec 11, we had 39 pages on a thread for a new HC. In nine days, Georgia Southern has 181 pages on their thread for a new HC!

And they ended up with Tyson Summers, DC from Colorado State. Not a happy bunch of campers.