Welcome Aboard Willie Fritz and staff!!!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: Well there's a big difference between not making wholesale decisions in the first few weeks and not making any decisions in the first 18 months. It's part of the job description to figure that out earlier, and why you see so many new CEO/Presidents bring in their own trusted people right off the bat.

Is Fitts really much better behind closed doors than his exterior appearance? Maybe. I have no idea. But just being a non-Scott Cowen yes man was enough for him to get things back on track. Firing loyalists and non-performers and running hiring processes to replace those people with competence. Just bringing in new blood was a refreshing change for all, that the new blood appears to represent some really strong leadership for those roles is definitely icing on the cake.
CJ deserved a year 4, he got his year 4, we did right by CJ & the Saints. All agree now is the time to move on. Fitts played it perfectly. :1thumb:
From the looks of today's press conference in the photos I saw, Gayle Benson, was sitting and smiling right along side the Fritz family in the front row. It appears Tulane should continue to have a strong relationship with the Saints organization under Coach Fritz.
+1, we are without question "copacetic" with Gayle & Tom Benson and our partner the Saints. I have no doubt whatsoever we still have access to the Saints Indoor Practice Facility whenever we need it. We gave CJ his 4 years; CJ blew it, not Tulane.
Better use the connections now before Rita and Company take over. It's already looking like Tom is going to lose this fight with some concessions of relinquishing control of the trust. I hope WF gets to utilize all this momentum before it's too late.
That Trust does not contain any shares of the Saints and Pelicans. That one concerns the Banks and car dealerships.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: Well there's a big difference between not making wholesale decisions in the first few weeks and not making any decisions in the first 18 months. It's part of the job description to figure that out earlier, and why you see so many new CEO/Presidents bring in their own trusted people right off the bat.

Is Fitts really much better behind closed doors than his exterior appearance? Maybe. I have no idea. But just being a non-Scott Cowen yes man was enough for him to get things back on track. Firing loyalists and non-performers and running hiring processes to replace those people with competence. Just bringing in new blood was a refreshing change for all, that the new blood appears to represent some really strong leadership for those roles is definitely icing on the cake.
CJ deserved a year 4, he got his year 4, we did right by CJ & the Saints. All agree now is the time to move on. Fitts played it perfectly. :1thumb:
From the looks of today's press conference in the photos I saw, Gayle Benson, was sitting and smiling right along side the Fritz family in the front row. It appears Tulane should continue to have a strong relationship with the Saints organization under Coach Fritz.
+1, we are without question "copacetic" with Gayle & Tom Benson and our partner the Saints. I have no doubt whatsoever we still have access to the Saints Indoor Practice Facility whenever we need it. We gave CJ his 4 years; CJ blew it, not Tulane.
Better use the connections now before Rita and Company take over. It's already looking like Tom is going to lose this fight with some concessions of relinquishing control of the trust. I hope WF gets to utilize all this momentum before it's too late.
That Trust does not contain any shares of the Saints and Pelicans. That one concerns the Banks and car dealerships.
Yeah sorry I didn't elaborate some more. Although this doesn't involve the pelicans and saints share, i think it's still weird that this is his first concession out of all of this squabble, which kind of makes me think he is starting to get tired of all of this fighting. If that's the case maybe he might make more concessions while the Saints and Pelicans ownership trust is being appealed? I hope that's not the case.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Nice writeup here. Definitely someone not from the "entitlement" generation...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /77381110/
Fritz has built winners at Blinn College, a junior college in Texas; at Division II Central Missouri; and at Sam Houston State of the FCS.

"I've lined the fields. I've washed the jocks. I've done it all," Fritz said. "Troy Dannen went off the beaten path hiring me. I don't have a bunch of gel in my hair; I have a little gray. ... I haven't been the latest flavor of the week. I've been a high school coach. I taught elementary P.E. I've done a lot of different jobs, so I appreciate this opportunity."
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Nice writeup here. Definitely someone not from the "entitlement" generation...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /77381110/
Fritz has built winners at Blinn College, a junior college in Texas; at Division II Central Missouri; and at Sam Houston State of the FCS.

"I've lined the fields. I've washed the jocks. I've done it all," Fritz said. "Troy Dannen went off the beaten path hiring me. I don't have a bunch of gel in my hair; I have a little gray. ... I haven't been the latest flavor of the week. I've been a high school coach. I taught elementary P.E. I've done a lot of different jobs, so I appreciate this opportunity."
Thanks for the link. Good stuff.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The man speaks our language - Sleeping Giant:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... ping-giant

We have been saying for years that we want to see Tulane reach its vast potential. We now have someone who gets it. Go WF!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Some more noteworthy quotes here. EDIT: It's the same link as the one on the previous post. The Advocate updated it while I was posting.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... ent-winner
Athletic Director Troy Dannen, who hired Fritz less than two weeks after assuming his job, said at the start of his search that he valued proven experience over youthful exuberance. He validated that statement by picking Fritz.

“At this time in our program’s history, we need somebody who has been around a winning culture and who knows how to build a program,” Dannen said. “He’s built it three times at places where they weren’t winning, and he’s built it quickly. I’m not expecting him to come in and win nine games, but he is not a let’s do the old slow build and see what happens.

“We needed a sitting head coach or a coordinator with a lot of experience. This is not a learn-to-be-a-head-coach-on-the-job type of situation, and I didn’t look for those people.”
“Sometimes I chuckle when I see schools hire a guy who’s never been a head coach before,” he (Fritz) said. “I know that I’d want somebody with experience. If I have somebody who’s going to drive a very experience car, I’d like for him to have a driver’s license. I’ve got one.”
Fritz’s Georgia Southern teams traveled almost exclusively on the ground the past two years, leading the nation in rushing both seasons, but he said Tulane’s offense would look more like what he ran at Sam Houston State from 2010 to 2013. There, he melded spread-option principles with some elements of the triple option. His quarterback will line up in the shotgun.

Sam Houston State threw 33 touchdown passes in 2012, three shy of the individual Tulane record set by Shaun King in 1998.
With the holiday recruiting dead period having started Monday and lasting until Jan. 13, Fritz’s primary focus in the next month will be figuring out his staff and reviewing Tulane’s roster to determine the most important recruiting needs. The Wave’s commitment class for 2016 has broken up in the past week, but Fritz said he wanted only players who really wanted to be part of his program.
Fritz said Tulane, which conducted spring practice in the winter under Johnson, will not start spring ball until after spring break, which ends March 28, giving players more time to recover from the end of the season.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was just coming back to post about the change in the timing of spring practice. I always harped on what a mistake CJ was making w/such early spring practices not to mention canceling some of them. Being that early didn't allow players time to recover physically and mentally from previous seasons. It also hurt retention of what was being taught. Very happy to see this change.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:The man speaks our language - Sleeping Giant:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... ping-giant

We have been saying for years that we want to see Tulane reach its vast potential. We now have someone who gets it. Go WF!
Dannen and Fritz both were immediately on the same page. "Sleeping Giant". They see what we see. Which is the same thing that Scott Cowen and Rick Dickson, the two @$$holes who were paid handsomely to steward Tulane Athletics, could not see no matter how many people tried to tell them nor how much the free market proved it to be true.

I've always said a fish rots at the head but it works the other way too. When you have good leadership in the top positions, good things can happen quickly, and Tulane has an impressive team coming together. Even Burke, who is clearly being wooed, has something to add as the #2 in the department, for as long as that lasts. It's a pretty stunning turn of events.
Jonathan
Riptide

We hired a Sunbelt coach. Wow!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jonathan wrote:We hired a Sunbelt coach. Wow!
No, Jonathan, we hired a WINNING coach.
RobertM320
Green Wave

To play devil's advocate here for just a second...

Dannen, Fritz, Burke, VB coach Barnes: it seems like we're putting together a really strong group in athletics. It seems like this is a group of world beaters. Are they really, or are we just so used to mediocrity and failure that 'NORMAL' seems somehow out of our league?
Jonathan
Riptide

We hired a winning top Sunbelt coach. Ok
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jonathan wrote:We hired a winning top Sunbelt coach. Ok
Still better than an NFL Wide Receivers Coach.

Just who did you think we were going to get anyway? Nick Saban?

And why am I even responding to you?
God Bless Everyone!
Forever TU
Surge

ajcalhoun wrote:
Still better than an NFL Wide Receivers Coach.

Just who did you think we were going to get anyway? Nick Saban?

And why am I even responding to you?
Jonathan please do tell us who was on your list and what research you did into them. No, "Any top P5 person" doesn't count. Clearly you think you know better than Dannen or the search committee so please do enlighten us.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:To play devil's advocate here for just a second...

Dannen, Fritz, Burke, VB coach Barnes: it seems like we're putting together a really strong group in athletics. It seems like this is a group of world beaters. Are they really, or are we just so used to mediocrity and failure that 'NORMAL' seems somehow out of our league?
I'm not lowering any bar. Dannen and Fritz appear to be legit home run hires in key positions. Burke is clearly well regarded as an administrator meaning she is solid for a #2.

It's a complete 180 from the incompetence of Dickson and CJ.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Have to start somewhere. I'm sure that's what everyone thought when Ohio State hired Jim Tressel from Youngstown and we know what happened there (regardless of violations).
RobertM320
Green Wave

jonathanjoseph wrote:

I'm not lowering any bar. Dannen and Fritz appear to be legit home run hires in key positions. Burke is clearly well regarded as an administrator meaning she is solid for a #2.

It's a complete 180 from the incompetence of Dickson and CJ.
I was hoping that was the case. I guess I've been beaten down so long by the incompetence at Tulane that I can't believe they've actually done something right.
ExileWave
Surge

winwave wrote:I was just coming back to post about the change in the timing of spring practice. I always harped on what a mistake CJ was making w/such early spring practices not to mention canceling some of them. Being that early didn't allow players time to recover physically and mentally from previous seasons. It also hurt retention of what was being taught. Very happy to see this change.
They better recover and get to work. I am looking for a spring where Fritz finds out who wants to play and be at Tulane. It will be a challenge physically and mentally. Lots to learn and lots to prove to the new staff. Doubt it will end early like CJ.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

WR is about the weakest position on the team, RB the strongest. If we can either get a QB to run the system or Lee has a miraculous off-season, things could improve faster then expected.
TU23
High Tide

Not to start the entire Lee debate over again, but I think he will benefit tremendously from the new offense and from real coaching.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TU23 wrote:Not to start the entire Lee debate over again, but I think he will benefit tremendously from the new offense and from real coaching.
+1.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I get where you are coming from. We have been made miserable by the maddening incompetence of Tulane for so long that change itself is cause for celebration. It would be easy to pick apart the new hires if one wanted to. None have any real experience at his level. They have done a good job of making their initial presentation of themselves to the fan base and they were successful at the places they came from. Most of us at this point are optimistic that there winning ways will translate here. We will know in short order if that optimism is warranted. I think it will be.
ExileWave
Surge

winwave wrote:

I get where you are coming from. We have been made miserable by the maddening incompetence of Tulane for so long that change itself is cause for celebration. It would be easy to pick apart the new hires if one wanted to. None have any real experience at his level. They have done a good job of making their initial presentation of themselves to the fan base and they were successful at the places they came from. Most of us at this point are optimistic that there winning ways will translate here. We will know in short order if that optimism is warranted. I think it will be.
What "LEVEL' are you talking about? Despite the fact that we have been in FBS all these years, we have been a laughing stock football program. Both TD and WF have produced more winning programs than Tulane has seen in 50 years. Winning and changing culture will be a big challenge. TD was probably right in not hiring an unproven flavor of the year OC or DC as head coach in this environment.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ExileWave wrote:
winwave wrote:

What "LEVEL' are you talking about? Despite the fact that we have been in FBS all these years, we have been a laughing stock football program. Both TD and WF have produced more winning programs than Tulane has seen in 50 years. Winning and changing culture will be a big challenge. TD was probably right in not hiring an unproven flavor of the year OC or DC as head coach in this environment.
Calm down. We agree about what level Tulane has played at. I'm talking about getting to the level we all think we can get to.
ExileWave
Surge

winwave wrote:
ExileWave wrote:
winwave wrote:

Calm down. We agree about what level Tulane has played at. I'm talking about getting to the level we all think we can get to.
+1 We will see. Hope the ride is fun!