Welcome Aboard Willie Fritz and staff!!!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenGears wrote:I think we shouldn't get too worried about losing players or "not being able to recruit" just yet. No offense to the fine young men currently on the team, but our recruiting class rankings(which should always be taken with a grain of salt) under CJ haven't been anything to write home about.

At the same time, we probably lost a dozen games in the CJ era to special teams blunders, a lack of discipline and poor coaching. I think the talent level we currently have, if properly developed and coached, lets us compete in the AAC.
Kids are now going to want to come to Tulane because we are finally going to win!
That will get the ball rolling.

GreenGears
Low Tide

Show Me wrote:
GreenGears wrote:I think we shouldn't get too worried about losing players or "not being able to recruit" just yet. No offense to the fine young men currently on the team, but our recruiting class rankings(which should always be taken with a grain of salt) under CJ haven't been anything to write home about.

At the same time, we probably lost a dozen games in the CJ era to special teams blunders, a lack of discipline and poor coaching. I think the talent level we currently have, if properly developed and coached, lets us compete in the AAC.
Kids are now going to want to come to Tulane because we are finally going to win!
That will get the ball rolling.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the recruiting is my point. We especially shouldn't be worrying about kids decommitting because of the coaching change. It is just what you have to deal with when you change coaches. If we start winning, the kids will want to be here. We're a prestigious university in the south, all we need is winning.

I imagine we will have some large recruiting classes the next few years as some current members of the team aren't going to like the new system. I'll also bet dollars to donuts we won't be hearing about how spring practice ended two days early.

My only concern is, please God, no more black/grey uniform bullshit. You can wear green and white or olive and blue. If you want to wear grey/black, you're at the wrong damn university.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looks like slim pickings there.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You can bet that at least one or two of Coach Fritz's assistants will come with him to Tulane. You can also count on at minimum 2 or 3 recruits doing the same. Of course they have to be able to gain admission, but that's part of the story. We've had a few players get into Tulane and then not clear the NCAA clearinghouse, and others that CJ sat intentionally.

I wonder what Coach is telling the recruits in terms of honoring the offers, systems they'll play in, coaches retained and who will be on the staff. He has a whole lot to do in a very short period of time to get ready for signing day. The presser on Tuesday will be interesting, I'm sure a lot of these questions will be answered.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
capwave
High Tide

puffy wrote:
winwave wrote:
puffy wrote:Still enthused about Fritz, but there are still a ton of questions remaining:

What kind of staff will be put together and who, if any, will he retain from CJ's staff?

What degree of roster turnover will there be? This question is relevant to the current 2016 commitments.

Where will Fritz look to fill out the remaining Tulane recruiting class? Does he stay mainly in south La or will he go to more familiar territory in Tx, Ga or even Mo?

Should I add on to my set of existing season tickets?
I hate to add to that list but like many others I read all of our boards. In doing so it appears we may suffer some significant losses to grades of players who want to be here. Let's hope these players are kicking ass on their exams.

As to your last question : YES!!!
Losing players to academic casualties isn't surprising. I'm just hoping against massive roster turnover. Then again, Fritz is experienced with working with whatever talent level is put in front of him.

Recruiting will be interesting, as Fritz doesn't have a ton of experience recruiting FBS level players to a school with higher academic standards. Will he start recruiting many of the same students that Vandy, Northwestern and Stanford are pursuing?

I just might add another ticket or two to my current allotment, but maybe in the late summer.
If you go and look at who Fritz signed last January and who he had committed so far at G Southern, it is much better than what CJ was getting at Tulane. I was not looking at star ratings, only at other offers these kids had. To me offers are way more telling than how many stars they have. Plus many of them held offers from Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Duke and Georgia Tech.
Highwave
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Since the name Frank Wilson has come up so many times for Tulane head coach, would Frank Wilson, under the guidance of Willie Fritz, be someone you would trust with OC duties? If we offered him enough, and if Fritz were calling the plays, would having a recruiter like him on staff be valuable?

Why he might leave LSU for a Tulane OC job: it would set him up for a HC job that desperately wants, and Tulane could offer enough to make it worth his while.

Why it might work for Tulane: well, it would not hurt, Fritz could guide Wilson, and if he has half the acumen for coaching his fans in the media think, then he could turn out to be a great OC, and it never hurts to have a star recruiter for your OC. If he does prove himself, he could inherit the job from Fritz when Fritz gets offered a P5 job.

It might not work for Tulane in that he might be a dud at OC even as an OC with training wheels on.

It might not work for Frank Wilson, if straightening out Tulane's football problems prove too difficult for Fritz, then it might hurt Wilson to be a part of a failed effort.
I don't see him interested. He makes $660K as a position coach. Tulane isn't paying that much to an OC. And besides he wanted the HC position.
Tulane should not be interested in him for any position other than for recruiting. Media supporters point to zero reasons in terms of X's and O's that he should be HC. All they know of him is his recruiting and other intangibles unrelated to schemes.
OUG
Riptide

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2015-12-1 ... unity-pass

Great article with quotes from Fritz. He definitely knows what he is getting himself into.
ExileWave
Surge

On thing I notice in film of him at practice and in game is his fire and intensity. He is not "down home" on the field. CJ always looked like a deer in the headlights. Spring practice will be a shock to some of our boys.
Forever TU
Surge

Press conference at 11 on Tuesday. Open to fans and parking in the Rosen Lot.

Official press release:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 15aab.html
COChip
Low Tide

My only concern is, please God, no more black/grey uniform bullsh*t. You can wear green and white or olive and blue. If you want to wear grey/black, you're at the wrong damn university.[/quote]

This should be the LEAST concern.....WIN SOME GOD D*MN GAMES AND QUIT BEING A LAUGHINGSTOCK....that should be priority the only concern. They can wear chrome helmets for all I care.
OUG
Riptide

COChip wrote:My only concern is, please God, no more black/grey uniform bullsh*t. You can wear green and white or olive and blue. If you want to wear grey/black, you're at the wrong damn university.

This should be the LEAST concern.....WIN SOME GOD D*MN GAMES AND QUIT BEING A LAUGHINGSTOCK....that should be priority the only concern. They can wear chrome helmets for all I care.[/quote]

My impression of fritz is that uniforms alterations are not something he is going to care one iota about. He is an old school hard nosed coach. He won't do gimmicks, I think.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

an interesting article showing Fritz record and rushing / passing stats at each school...look at the bottom line where it gives the 19 year averages...almost dead even

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:an interesting article showing Fritz record and rushing / passing stats at each school...look at the bottom line where it gives the 19 year averages...almost dead even

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
There really isn't a higher compliment you can pay a coach other than to say he can "coach 'em up" in any system.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: as a coach once said..."you are what your record say's you are"
And, in 1998 we were 12-0 and 7th in the nation for the final AP college football poll. Unlike for Ga. Southern, as Tommy Bowden said, "Tulane can be anything it wants to be for college football." In 1998 we would have beaten LSU. Cowen, the man who said "no" to RichRod, was the problem but Mike Fitts from Ivy League Penn just might be our solution for Tulane athletics.

With Troy Dannen and Willie Fritz now at Tulane the future looks bright again for the Wave. I can't wait for tomorrow.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Press conference on Tuesday 11am
to introduce him Glazer Club.
Bump
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
Bump
Can the general public attend this press conference?
GretnaGreen
Low Tide

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Bump
The announcement on tulanegreenwave.com welcomes the public to the press conference.
Bigschtick
Riptide

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Bump
Sure if they paint their faces green?? What the hell kind of question is that?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
JerseyWave
Riptide

Coach Fritz has already changed his Twitter account to reflect that he is Coach of Tulane. If you check out who he is following you will see several recruits listed, some committed to other schools. Gives you an idea of who he will try to recruit/flip to Tulane. He is also following Giovanni LaFrance and John Curtis School. January should be very interesting on the recruiting front. His whole staff should be in place and let's see what kind of work they can do. Hopefully there will soon be an announcement about significant improvements to the Football Operations facility.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Coach Fritz has already changed his Twitter account to reflect that he is Coach of Tulane. If you check out who he is following you will see several recruits listed, some committed to other schools. Gives you an idea of who he will try to recruit/flip to Tulane. He is also following Giovanni LaFrance and John Curtis School. January should be very interesting on the recruiting front. His whole staff should be in place and let's see what kind of work they can do. Hopefully there will soon be an announcement about significant improvements to the Football Operations facility.
Thanks for the info..
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

You can meet Fritz Monday night. He's going to the basketball game against Prairie View.
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

I think WF is the first Head coach to arrive at Tulane having won national championships (Blinn JC, '95 & '96) since Bennie Ellender (Ark. State '70). Don't know if that was mentioned anywhere. Having experienced the late '60's/early'70's resurgence of Tulane football, I'm feeling pretty good about this hire. Hope he can get some recruiting concessions.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:You can meet Fritz Monday night. He's going to the basketball game against Prairie View.
Fritz will be at the game and will be one of only a few people in attendance who actually knows where Prairie View is located !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote:I think WF is the first Head coach to arrive at Tulane having won national championships (Blinn JC, '95 & '96) since Bennie Ellender (Ark. State '70). Don't know if that was mentioned anywhere. Having experienced the late '60's/early'70's resurgence of Tulane football, I'm feeling pretty good about this hire. Hope he can get some recruiting concessions.
I really don't think it's a matter of recruiting concessions. Johnson had them - when have we ever gone into NOLA public schools like he did?
They still have to pass (and I've heard rumors we may have some issues once grades are released this fall).

What we need is a much bigger recruiting budget; or at least more recruiting energy. It's a lot easier recruiting 50 miles out.
Last edited by DrBox on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.