New Tulane Volleyball Coach Jim Barnes

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm been doing some digging, and I did come up with this retweet by Jim Barnes. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd have seen unless he was following something specific. This was dated Dec 2. Take it for what its worth. Only hashtag in there is #Tulane.

Jim Barnes Retweeted
Gentilly_Wave ‏@Gentilly_Wave Dec 2
Gr8 2 C #Tulane #2 Burke here at game 2nite. Real Pro. Not sitting at home pouting, still working 2 make us better. Asset 2 the department.
4 retweets 7 likes
Reply Retweet 4
Like 7

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
localvb
High Tide

I've heard it is a done deal. Too many VB coaches have verified it not to be true.
Not sure with all the football and AD contracts flying through that this one is pushed back for some reason.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Someone knows something. @JimBarnesVB is being followed by Coach David Pierce. That's more than just coincidence.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Got an email from Tulane Athletics today announcing Barnes as the new head volleyball coach.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Got an email from Tulane Athletics today announcing Barnes as the new head volleyball coach.
welcome "Bad News Barnes"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

I take it this is a good hire? Unless of course, you're Jonathan, who doesn't care about volleyball.
Jonathan
Riptide

Wow cannot get excited about non revenue sport women's volleyball. Love ladies golf My favorite team at Tulane. Always at the top of the rankings and brilliant students.
Jonathan
Riptide

Who cares about a volleyball coach. No revenue. This is a joke. Pathetic what do you have only the family of the team members in attendance watching the game. True and Sad. Let us get to our top sports at Tulane bowling and beach volleyball a joke. Only at Tulane.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I take it this is a good hire? Unless of course, you're Jonathan, who doesn't care about volleyball.
I, for one, don't think he's made that clear enough, yet.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jonathan wrote:Who cares about a volleyball coach. No revenue. This is a joke. Pathetic what do you have only the family of the team members in attendance watching the game. True and Sad. Let us get to our top sports at Tulane bowling and beach volleyball a joke. Only at Tulane.

There are 63 other universities that have women's bowling, and several HUNDRED with women's volleyball. Seems more like NOT ONLY at Tulane to me.
localvb
High Tide

FINALLY! This a huge higher for Tulane and the VB community! Coach Barnes brings instant respect. Can't tell you how good this is for everyone involved. BTW, Volleyball is quickly becoming the top female sport in the country. A record 18,000 fans filled the stands at last weeks national championship game. More girls are playing the sport than any other in the USA. So maybe if you can't be respectful you might be politely quiet.
localvb
High Tide

Next season go to a match and watch and if you don't come out very impressed I will wash your car for a year.
Its an incredibly fast, athletic sport that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Again congrats Troy Dannen. 2 great hires in a week!
alumniwave
Low Tide

Strong words from LSU coach. Enjoyed all the coaches quotes about the hire. Very impressive list of coaches.

Fran Flory, Head Volleyball Coach, LSU
“I think this is a real win for the state in terms of our sport. I don’t know if there could have been a better fit with having someone of this quality and with this level of experience to join in our coaching ranks. Jim is a great coach. He has proven he can run a very balanced program and he puts the student-athletes at the heart of it. He is a great tactician and technician. I consider him not only a great coach but also a great person.”
GreenLantern
Riptide

localvb wrote: So maybe if you can't be respectful you might be politely quiet.
Polite and quiet are terms seldom used to describe Jonathan.

BTW, welcome to the board localvb. Sounds as if you might know a thing or two about volleyball. I hope you continue to keep us informed about the coming improvements.
localvb
High Tide

I'm a local club volleyball coach. Have read the board for years but never posted until recently. Look forward to the future of Tulane and volleyball in the region continueing to grow. Great things coming for the Green Wave!
JerseyWave
Riptide

We finally have a professional/competent Athletic Director who will lead Tulane to its full potential!
localvb
High Tide

This quote is very impressive. Terry Pettit is a legend in the sport. Like a John Wooden of volleyball. Big honor for him to say something:

Terry Pettit, Former Head Volleyball Coach, University of Nebraska
“This is an exceptional hire for Tulane. Jim did an outstanding job of building the program at Baylor. Perhaps more importantly, Jim has great character. Coaching is about fit, and New Orleans, Louisiana and Texas is an area that I think Jim will be able to recruit. He is very sound and stable. I like to see when universities hire an adult where you aren’t going to have any surprises and where someone is going to train and prepare every day for the teams they will play. It will not surprise me if over the next two or three years Tulane will significantly improve.”
winwave
Top of the WAVE

localvb wrote:This quote is very impressive. Terry Pettit is a legend in the sport. Like a John Wooden of volleyball. Big honor for him to say something:

Terry Pettit, Former Head Volleyball Coach, University of Nebraska
“This is an exceptional hire for Tulane. Jim did an outstanding job of building the program at Baylor. Perhaps more importantly, Jim has great character. Coaching is about fit, and New Orleans, Louisiana and Texas is an area that I think Jim will be able to recruit. He is very sound and stable. I like to see when universities hire an adult where you aren’t going to have any surprises and where someone is going to train and prepare every day for the teams they will play. It will not surprise me if over the next two or three years Tulane will significantly improve.”
Thanks. Impressive stuff.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

I got to meet Coach Barnes today at the convention center where the 1st club VB tournament of the year was played. The entire 40 court complex was buzzing about him. Haven't heard so many people talking about Tulane VB in my life. He is well liked which will help in recruiting a bunch. I believe every coach in the state knows him and all the ones I meet were ecstatic to have him in NOLA.
ccap05
Surge

localvb wrote:I got to meet Coach Barnes today at the convention center where the 1st club VB tournament of the year was played. The entire 40 court complex was buzzing about him. Haven't heard so many people talking about Tulane VB in my life. He is well liked which will help in recruiting a bunch. I believe every coach in the state knows him and all the ones I meet were ecstatic to have him in NOLA.
While FB and BB (followed by baseball and wbb) will continue to be the most important sports for the foreseeable future it is really great that Tulane seems to be serious about improving other sports as well. I understand (to some extent) the money issue but in my dream Tulane would be looking at softball and soccer in the not too distant future. I look forward to catching my first volleyball match and cheering the Greenwave on.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

When living in NOLA, I was pushed into volunteering for the VB program by Berthelot and few other Athletic Dept employees..after the first game I was hooked, it was fast paced and very athletic.... May I suggest that TPS and the GreenBackers hold a VB party, get together for one of the match's.... U will not be disappointed... The young Ladies are gracious and will appreciate greatly your vocal support. Regarding the arguments that "who cares" about VB...any and all success that Tulane can have on Fields and Courts of play, is damn good press and keeps your name in front of people in other conferences NO MATTER THE SPORT ... U can bet you azz the Big East Schools wish they still had Football to increase brand awareness, at present they are only relative for 4 months a year
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:When living in NOLA, I was pushed into volunteering for the VB program by Berthelot and few other Athletic Dept employees..after the first game I was hooked, it was fast paced and very athletic.... May I suggest that TPS and the GreenBackers hold a VB party, get together for one of the match's.... U will not be disappointed... The young Ladies are gracious and will appreciate greatly your vocal support. Regarding the arguments that "who cares" about VB...any and all success that Tulane can have on Fields and Courts of play, is damn good press and keeps your name in front of people in other conferences NO MATTER THE SPORT ... U can bet you azz the Big East Schools wish they still had Football to increase brand awareness, at present they are only relative for 4 months a year
We just came back from the opening of the tennis season at City Park. The women went down to #37 Fla St today. Many GB's used to attend VB before the product deteriorated. I believe with the new coach the support will pick up.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Well we beat S Eastern easily in a scrimmage today. That's normally nothing of note; however, we were drubbed by several Southland teams over the last 4 years, so it's a good start.
localvb
High Tide

I was able to catch the 2nd match. Tulane beat down SE LA 25-9, 25-12, 25-15.
I didn't recognize the Tulane team even though they were the same players. They played with a fierce attitude. Offense is completely different and they blocked SE LA off the court. Loved the interaction between the staff and the players. They really respond to Coach Barnes. Exceeded my expectations and I was expecting a lot.