We don't want Kendal Briles...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Jonathan wrote:Do not tell us who we want. The decision will be made by our new AD. The comments on this thread mean nothing.
We don't want you Pete.

Bearwave
High Tide

To be honest, this is not an appealing job at all. Whoever gets this job will have a very hard time recruiting the type of players needed to compete with teams in this conference much less P5 programs. When you show a recruit the weight room and practice facilities (rather lack thereof) most have better at their high schools.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bearwave wrote:To be honest, this is not an appealing job at all. Whoever gets this job will have a very hard time recruiting the type of players needed to compete with teams in this conference much less P5 programs. When you show a recruit the weight room and practice facilities (rather lack thereof) most have better at their high schools.
IDK, its still better than most G5 jobs outside of the rest of the AAC. There certainly is fertile recruiting, decent pay, great exposure and if you do win at TU you would probably get a P5 job in no time. Also helps to have what I consider a very solid and up in coming AD who was just vetted TU. I mean, TD to me seems very solid and he took the AD job, so the situation can;t be as bad as you say.
austxwave
High Tide

Kendal Briles is a joke. Think about it. He couldn't get an interview at UNT. He will not be our next HC.
TXWave88
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Bearwave wrote:To be honest, this is not an appealing job at all. Whoever gets this job will have a very hard time recruiting the type of players needed to compete with teams in this conference much less P5 programs. When you show a recruit the weight room and practice facilities (rather lack thereof) most have better at their high schools.
IDK, its still better than most G5 jobs outside of the rest of the AAC. There certainly is fertile recruiting, decent pay, great exposure and if you do win at TU you would probably get a P5 job in no time. Also helps to have what I consider a very solid and up in coming AD who was just vetted TU. I mean, TD to me seems very solid and he took the AD job, so the situation can;t be as bad as you say.
Job Openings in FBS: Bowling Green, BYU, ECU, ULM, Tulane. WVU has mentioned they would evaluate Holgerson so maybe that opens up. I believe that is it for openings though.
COChip
Low Tide

TXWave88 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Job Openings in FBS: Bowling Green, BYU, ECU, ULM, Tulane. WVU has mentioned they would evaluate Holgerson so maybe that opens up. I believe that is it for openings though.
That ULM job is such a gem that even the USM OC turned them down for an interview lol
TXWave88
Surge

Did Toledo fill their position? Does not matter because we are not in competition with them anyways. Our competition is BYU, ECU, or coaches deciding to stay where they are until next year. BYU may not even be a competition depending on what/who they are looking for the HC. ECU just axed their alum coach and no one in the sports world liked or understood it. Pure speculation but something may come of that story. It just does not make much sense so far. With all of that, I think we should entice whoever we like as long as the sought after coach is wanting to make a change.
OUG
Riptide

TXWave88 wrote:Did Toledo fill their position? Does not matter because we are not in competition with them anyways. Our competition is BYU, ECU, or coaches deciding to stay where they are until next year. BYU may not even be a competition depending on what/who they are looking for the HC. ECU just axed their alum coach and no one in the sports world liked or understood it. Pure speculation but something may come of that story. It just does not make much sense so far. With all of that, I think we should entice whoever we like as long as the sought after coach is wanting to make a change.
Toledo hired internal.

That's the reality of the MAC and the vast majority of the G5. Their schools aren't chasing the P5, they're just trying to survive. They go cheap in just about everything. The fact that Tulane is trying to splash some cash around and has in the past already puts us ahead of most of the G5 jobs. The exceptions are some other AAC schools and maybe three MWC schools and BYU.

We just need to hire the right person. There are good coaches. We have plenty to choose from. It comes down to evaluation.
Profoundwizard
Swell

austxwave wrote:Kendal Briles is a joke. Think about it. He couldn't get an interview at UNT. He will not be our next HC.
According to who?
He wasn't interested in the UNT job
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
austxwave wrote:Kendal Briles is a joke. Think about it. He couldn't get an interview at UNT. He will not be our next HC.
According to who?
I do not think UNT was interested in him.... and based on his experience, or lack thereof, neither should we
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
According to who?

Yes he was, and from what ive heard he was begging for it. He did get an interview, but he was just passed over by a much better coach....seth luttrell. This has also been vetted by multiple sources and published on footballscoop.com and the denton paper.

for what its worth Lutrell was the Old OU RB for bob stoops in early 2000s and is also a Texas Tech mike leach offensive guy, and runs the same texas tech spread as tcu, osu, ou, ut, ttu Baylor, and A&M run.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

VerdeGeaux wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
According to who?

Yes he was, and from what ive heard he was begging for it. He did get an interview, but he was just passed over by a much better coach....seth luttrell. This has also been vetted by multiple sources and published on footballscoop.com and the denton paper.

for what its worth Lutrell was the Old OU RB for bob stoops in early 2000s and is also a Texas Tech mike leach offensive guy, and runs the same texas tech spread as tcu, osu, ou, ut, ttu Baylor, and A&M run.
If UNT gave him an interview, it was out of courtesy, he was never going to be hired at UNT...so a guy that UNT passed on, is considered the savior of Tulane football for some on this forum !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
oliveandblue
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:
VerdeGeaux wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
According to who?

If UNT gave him an interview, it was out of courtesy, he was never going to be hired at UNT...so a guy that UNT passed on, is considered the savior of Tulane football for some on this forum !!!
UNT has made some BIG mistakes before in hiring coaches. Just because they passed on him doesn't mean he'd be bad for Tulane.

He's not a first choice, but I think he's a B-/B hire for this football team. Good pedigree, and will get his hands a little dirty to not be complete garbage on the field.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
VerdeGeaux wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
According to who?

UNT has made some BIG mistakes before in hiring coaches. Just because they passed on him doesn't mean he'd be bad for Tulane.

He's not a first choice, but I think he's a B-/B hire for this football team. Good pedigree, and will get his hands a little dirty to not be complete garbage on the field.
He has zero experience, did you not see the bio posted...if it were not for daddy, he would be in the middle of nowhere Texas, which is between Brownwood and Sweetwater, as an assistant middle school coach...Now if he was Briles son and on the staff of Mizzou, Florida State, or a HC for and FCS school then maybe he would be a choice... but with his bio, and already suspended by the NCAA, he is not the guy...here are the names of two staff members that make Briles look like an OC and recruiting guru...Randy Clements and Beau Trahan
Profoundwizard
Swell

Doing a damn good job as Lane Kiffen's OC.
Not counting Fritz out yet, but I think we'd be much better off with Kiffen and Briles.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Doing a damn good job as Lane Kiffen's OC.
Not counting Fritz out yet, but I think we'd be much better off with Kiffen and Briles.
Until it isn’t Tulane is a job killer. Kiffen can do better.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Yeah, but Fritz would likely have a much better record right now if it were playing in CUSA.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yeah, but Fritz would likely have a much better record right now if it were playing in CUSA.
Even better in the Sun Belt. :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
He took the FAU job, he'd have taken the Tulane job.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Not at this point. It’s a career killer until it isn’t.
I’d love to be wrong but until we get competitive facilities and develop a consistent winner the young and up-and-coming coaches are going to be fearful of this job.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
I’d love to be wrong but until we get competitive facilities and develop a consistent winner the young and up-and-coming coaches are going to be fearful of this job.

I don't think FAU has good facilities or a consistent winner either.
Also not sure I'd call Kiffin a young up and coming coach. Him taking the FAU job was evidence to me that he'd seriously consider anyone that showed interest. Now that he's proven himself again at FAU, yes he can probably get a better job than Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WF is not going anywhere...he is year two, with one recruiting class...the offense now in place is not the one he wants to run, but he knows how bad we are on defense and is trying to keep them off the field as much as possible...I think by year 4 we will see an offense much like he had at Sam Houston...yes, I said year 4 because I think TD gave him assurances he would have his full contract to reconstruct the mess CJ left ...so let's not worry about who the next coach will be...he is already here....besides, most predicted 3 to 5 wins this year...we already have the three...two more maybe possible....
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:WF is not going anywhere...he is year two, with one recruiting class...the offense now in place is not the one he wants to run, but he knows how bad we are on defense and is trying to keep them off the field as much as possible...I think by year 4 we will see an offense much like he had at Sam Houston...yes, I said year 4 because I think TD gave him assurances he would have his full contract to reconstruct the mess CJ left ...so let's not worry about who the next coach will be...he is already here....besides, most predicted 3 to 5 wins this year...we already have the three...two more maybe possible....
I sure hope that the offense progresses because our defense appears to be wanting. We're running an odd front where the d-lineman are playing a two gap (protecting lb's). Ade is playing a much different technique than he ran in years prior. This year he is responsible for inside run game & lb protection from a five-technique. God bless Sean Wilson!
Who is in the pipeline for a breakout year at corner & d-line next year? Crickets....
Next year most of our games will be track meets.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I don't think FAU has good facilities or a consistent winner either.
Also not sure I'd call Kiffin a young up and coming coach. Him taking the FAU job was evidence to me that he'd seriously consider anyone that showed interest. Now that he's proven himself again at FAU, yes he can probably get a better job than Tulane.
Right. I wouldn’t consider him up-and-coming he’s 42. (At 31 he was the Oakland Raiders head coach) But I meant others. His next job will be P5. The reason he took the FAU job was because he was desperate at the time. There were too many strikes on his resume -- from both on-field and off-the-field situations -- to get a top job. By winning at a program that hadn’t won since 2008 that past is going to be overlooked now that he’s proven he can win at a bad program.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

wave97 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:WF is not going anywhere...he is year two, with one recruiting class...the offense now in place is not the one he wants to run, but he knows how bad we are on defense and is trying to keep them off the field as much as possible...I think by year 4 we will see an offense much like he had at Sam Houston...yes, I said year 4 because I think TD gave him assurances he would have his full contract to reconstruct the mess CJ left ...so let's not worry about who the next coach will be...he is already here....besides, most predicted 3 to 5 wins this year...we already have the three...two more maybe possible....
I sure hope that the offense progresses because our defense appears to be wanting. We're running an odd front where the d-lineman are playing a two gap (protecting lb's). Ade is playing a much different technique than he ran in years prior. This year he is responsible for inside run game & lb protection from a five-technique. God bless Sean Wilson!
Who is in the pipeline for a breakout year at corner & d-line next year? Crickets....
Next year most of our games will be track meets.
We only hope they are track meets. The defense is regressing to typical Tulane level with what I see as below average defensive front 7 recruiting under this staff and the only hope they have is an offense that can keep up. IMHO we are still 2 to 3 years away from having the QB and the OL to make that happen. The chicken and the egg apply here because without winning, the recruiting won't improve enough to win.