Press conference

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He won it!!!

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Ya, he killed it.

Talked about winning constantly and building something great. His personality is literally the polar opposite of RD. This hire gets better and better each day. Now the real work begins.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I only caught the last 10-12 minutes but I loved it. Winning, winning, winning. And he had a tie!

Just wondering, but does anyone know if there's video of the press conference when RD was hired? Would be interesting in hindsight to see how he carried himself then.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
austxwave
High Tide

He is very impressive.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I am now 100% behind our new AD. He was awesome at the press conference. And he wore a tie! I am very excited about the future of Tulane Athletics!!!!
Robert1969
Riptide

I couldn't get the video to work for me. Glad to hear he was excellent.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Just watched the stream of the conference, two things.

1. He is awesome.
2. His wife Amy is a babe.

But seriously, what a breath of fresh air. Now let's see who he brings in for football, but yes, he is the polar opposite of that other guy Dickson.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

The continued talk about a tie is getting beyond silly.
JerseyWave
Riptide

It's also good to hear he is working with Burke. Many insiders reported she was disgusted with the way the Athletic Department operated. She can definitely be an asset and stick around until she gets an opportunity to run her own Athletic Department.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:The continued talk about a tie is getting beyond silly.
Maybe we should discuss putting the board behind bars?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
No one has discussed that.
greenie2005
Ripple

He absolutely won the press conference. It was almost like he was ticking off points from gotula during the presser.

1. win
2. win
3. win
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie2005 wrote:He absolutely won the press conference. It was almost like he was ticking off points from gotula during the presser.

1. win
2. win
3. win

That's because he met with Steve and TURVS before the presser!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I apologize if this is off color, but I take some bizarre enjoyment over the fact that he basically threw that clown RD under the bus. Basically saying we need to win and have been a failure for too long. It was all about change and winning, a clear shot at the previous leadership.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:I apologize if this is off color, but I take some bizarre enjoyment over the fact that he basically threw that clown RD under the bus. Basically saying we need to win and have been a failure for too long. It was all about change and winning, a clear shot at the previous leadership.
Sure didn't bother me. I like the fact that he's taking charge, and basically sending the message "this is my department, and we're going to do it my way".
51WaveBG
High Tide

Things sure do look a lot better now than they did 3 months ago. We're have a new, dynamic A/D and we will be getting a new football H/C soon. It seems that Dr. Fitts and the BOT are on board for a new era in TU sports. I haven't been this excited about TU sports since 1998.
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
He got jokes!!!
Bham Wave
Ripple

I had goose bumps at the end of the press conference. That is what we have needed for a long time. Now he just needs to put some actions behind his words but I feel much better about our athletic department than I have in a very very long time.
OUG
Riptide

I was also impressed with Fitts and Hertz at the press conference, FWIW. They both showed passion and commitment to athletics. And they both seemed fired up about Dannen. You can tell they are fully bought in on him.

Rick Dickson wasn't at the presser. Maybe he is fundraising. Maybe they wanted a fresh start. But I found that notable.

I like that he mentioned Barbara and wants to work with her. That's great, and hopefully they work well together.

As for Dannen himself? He knocked it out of the park. There isn't much else to say. I'm fired up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He had two things RD didn't. He has personality and a tie. He doesn't clutch a water bottle. You could feel his energy. As noted above he gets that it is all about winning. The question is can he move Tulane to build the right facilities for football and basketball. The only thing he could have left out was the part about what RD had to go through ,i.e., a clear reference to Katrina. and that he had left a great legacy. He needs to now that we don't want to ever hear that excuse uttered again in any fashion. The student athletes there laughed when he noted RD wasn't there. They know the lazy SOB is never around.

We'll know much more in the next week when he makes his first hire.

Go get 'em Troy.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TU23
High Tide

Apparently in talking to the media in one on ones he told Ed Daniels that he wants to build and IPF and talked about the importance of a bigger assistant $$ pool for football. The dude gets it.
GreenLantern
Riptide

For those of you who did not get to attend or watch the presser, here are a few of my notes:

"Any of the last several candidates would have been a good choice" -Doug Hertz

It was not stated that the first offer of employment to any candidate was made to Troy Dannen.

President Fitts showed much warmth to Dannen and was genuinely excited about him.

Rick Dickson was not at the presser.

Troy's major talking points:
  • He remarked that this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Before this year he and his wife Amy decided they wanted to move to a major conference and a large city. New Orleans was one of their five choices. He said that he believed that New Orleans was one of the greatest sports cities in the world and he said it with conviction.
  • He is really looking forward to working with Barbara Burke.
  • He stated that he judged success within four areas: Fiscal; Competitive; Social; Academic. He said that Tulane and New Orleans offers everything you need to achieve success in all four areas.
  • During the interview process, he became the interviewer and asked a number of questions to board members and to President Fitts. The most important was "What do you want out of your athletic departments". Troy stated that each and every board member responded "WINNING".
  • When he asked President Fitts what would be his primary responsibility, Fitts replied: "Give us winning programs."
  • He says that he will make Saturdays something that Tulanians will look forward to.
  • Concerning the football search, he stated that for the right coach, this could be the greatest opportunity they could ever have.
  • Troy said the football search will be as quick as it needs to be...it may be a day or it may be a week. He said that he had met conferred with Barbara Burke.
  • He said that he met with the football team earlier today and asked them what they needed.
  • Closing on perhaps the highest note he said: "I cannot wait to see how we're embraced when we do what we're going to do".
Jaxwave
Swell

winwave wrote:He won it!!!
I disagree. It was a tie.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I thanked Ed Daniels for his hard hitting coverage of Tulane and asked him to keep on their asses about building the right facilities. Glad to see he did. I hope TD also said he wants to build a football operations center b/c we need that before the IPF.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It should be noted that he said when the board finished questioning him he asked them what they wanted out of their athletic program. He said there was a pause and then Jill Glazer said to win. Then others joined in by saying the same. Wish they hadn't paused.