Press conference

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Ch 6 Sports had a good interview on his philosophy. He said the kids like the high power offense but he wants to hire a coach that has the best plan doesn't matter if he comes from a defense background or an offensive background. And then he said he's more concerned about the coordinators that they bring in. So he was very vague in that he didn't have a preference either way. He's just looking for a good plan from the coach to be.
It sounds like he doesn't want to show his cards before the interviewees show theirs. I like it.
He must be reading message boards. Lol

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Very impressive guy. I spoke to him afterwards and I found him to be very friendly and business like. He's open to all suggestions from fans. He plans on sitting down with coaches and administrators sometime in January to evaluate each position. He wants everyone onboard to make winning a priority. I also spoke to Doug Hertz and I believe he's the most influential person behind his hire. Mr Hertz wants Tulane to build an athletic program the entire city can get behind and be proud of. Overall this was far and away the finest presser Tulane has ever presented. For the first time in my memory every print, TV, radio and digital media person was in attendance.
I give Tulane an A+ today they knocked it out of the park. I plan on recording all the sports shows tonight to see all of the interviews.
Folks get onboard there is a culture change going on Uptown I haven't seen in my lifetime.
I couldn't watch as I'm in Cancun celebrating my mom's 90th birthday. But reading this thread, particularly your comments, Tim, have me VERY PUMPED! I have a great deal of respect for longtime Tulane fans, like you, who show objectivity. At some point I'll watch the youtube of the presser, but for now I'm going to dinner a very happy man who's been a longtime suffering and addicted Tulane alum and fan. After a rough day of rain in paradise, killing what started as a promising round of golf, this thread has totally lifted my spirits.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

From the other site:

long green

"Just read Dannen's Q&A w/Guerry Smith. This guy is something else. He is informed and prepared. I can't wait for what's next. I defy gotula.net to poke holes in this man's way of taking charge."

Right back at ya.

Seriously there is no need for that type of nonsense on this day. We have a new AD who is asking all Tulane fans to come together to support the program. We get that those there are jealous of this site as we still have our balls intact here.

I'll add this: You and all Tulane fans are welcome for the change that this site helped bring to Tulane athletics today. Enjoy.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dupergreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Very impressive guy. I spoke to him afterwards and I found him to be very friendly and business like. He's open to all suggestions from fans. He plans on sitting down with coaches and administrators sometime in January to evaluate each position. He wants everyone onboard to make winning a priority. I also spoke to Doug Hertz and I believe he's the most influential person behind his hire. Mr Hertz wants Tulane to build an athletic program the entire city can get behind and be proud of. Overall this was far and away the finest presser Tulane has ever presented. For the first time in my memory every print, TV, radio and digital media person was in attendance.
I give Tulane an A+ today they knocked it out of the park. I plan on recording all the sports shows tonight to see all of the interviews.
Folks get onboard there is a culture change going on Uptown I haven't seen in my lifetime.
I couldn't watch as I'm in Cancun celebrating my mom's 90th birthday. But reading this thread, particularly your comments, Tim, have me VERY PUMPED! I have a great deal of respect for longtime Tulane fans, like you, who show objectivity. At some point I'll watch the youtube of the presser, but for now I'm going to dinner a very happy man who's been a longtime suffering and addicted Tulane alum and fan. After a rough day of rain in paradise, killing what started as a promising round of golf, this thread has totally lifted my spirits.

ROLL WAVE!

I hope you, your mom (and whatever family/friends/loved ones) have an amazing time celebrating a wonderful milestone.

You will be very impressed, happy and just overall giddy to hear what TD said. It is def different from what we have been hearing for the past 15 plus years. Refreshing to hear someone pretty much say, why can't we be successful at Tulane?

If you really want to hear some good stuff listen to his interview on the sports hangover (I believe someone posted a link on this thread on page 2 I think). If this fella doesn't get you excited (even in just the moment) then you should just quit watching sports. Very impressed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

ROLL WAVE!
If he can hire a football coach like he gives an interview and a presser we are going to be in good shape!
Tulane Class of 1981
Dupergreenie
Surge

winwave wrote:From the other site:

long green

"Just read Dannen's Q&A w/Guerry Smith. This guy is something else. He is informed and prepared. I can't wait for what's next. I defy gotula.net to poke holes in this man's way of taking charge."

Right back at ya.

Seriously there is no need for that type of nonsense on this day. We have a new AD who is asking all Tulane fans to come together to support the program. We get that those there are jealous of this site as we still have our balls intact here.

I'll add this: You and all Tulane fans are welcome for the change that this site helped bring to Tulane athletics today. Enjoy.

I won't lie, that comment he made did kind of piss me off. From what I have read on both sites EVERYONE seems to be impressed coming out of the press conference. Yes people will/are saying to back up the talk, but I'm sure those people were not expecting him to announce a coach right there on the spot. I generally respect what long green has to say but felt that comment was unwarranted.
RobertM320
Green Wave

long green

Right back at ya.

I have no clue where long green was going with this. The only people we poked holes in were Rick Dickson for NOT taking charge, and the Yoggies' complicity by not being willing to speak out against it as we do.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Summary of his day
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:

long green

Right back at ya.

I have no clue where long green was going with this. The only people we poked holes in were Rick Dickson for NOT taking charge, and the Yoggies' complicity by not being willing to speak out against it as we do.
Let's be honest. It stems from them knowing they have been a big part of the problem and so they are jealous of the change that this board has brought in it's short time in existence . Kudos to all here.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: [*]Closing on perhaps the highest note he said: "I cannot wait to see how we're embraced when we do what we're going to do".[/list]
That's a great point Lantern.
That shows he studied the history of Tulane. He asked around. He got references on us.
Dickson never believed that - he had so little self-awareness, that he thought the low attendance was the norm; while the truth is that it was the effect of his relentless mismanagement of Tulane athletics.
Dannen knows better on day 1.

Win - I take it you were at the PC and heard some of the Q&A from the media (it wasn't on the video version)?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
GreenLantern wrote: [*]Closing on perhaps the highest note he said: "I cannot wait to see how we're embraced when we do what we're going to do".[/list]
That's a great point Lantern.
That shows he studied the history of Tulane. He asked around. He got references on us.
Dickson never believed that - he had so little self-awareness, that he thought the low attendance was the norm; while the truth is that it was the effect of his relentless mismanagement of Tulane athletics.
Dannen knows better on day 1.

Win - I take it you were at the PC and heard some of the Q&A from the media (it wasn't on the video version)?
I was there but had to leave as soon as it was over so didn't get to hear those Q&A's. They were done on the side not on the podium.
Jonathan
Riptide

Anyone is better than Dickson. After observing Tulane athletics over 60 years I will reserve judgement on the new AD until we see who is football coach hire is,must recruit 4 and 5 star athletes,get us back to top 25 every year and a bowl game and fire Conroy. Also raise $200m to upgrade our athletic facilities, increase miserly Tulane attendance and get us into on one of the top five conferences. Hate to be pessimistic but Tulane has been a loser for decades and we need to turn it around. I will support our new AD. After watching the press conference I am impressed by our new AD. Looks like a great hire. Disappointed in not seeing Tulane Board Chair Darryl Berger on podium to welcome our new AD.
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

RD no longer AD, now special assistant to Fitts:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
Jonathan
Riptide

Our new AD needs to keep Barbara Burke on board. Increase her salary. Would be a great combination.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The reaction to Dannen’s hiring was generally positive from a fan base beaten down by Tulane’s near-constant losing.

“I’m excited more so that he cares about wins and losses,” said fan Tim Sweeney, who attended Friday’s introduction. “As a diehard Tulane fan growing up and attending the university, the wins have been too few and far between. I’m excited about the future, and hopefully we have the same success as Northern Iowa has had.”
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:The continued talk about a tie is getting beyond silly.
+1. some people still think it's 1985. Most companies are business casual and have been for many, many years. That was the least of RD's faults by far
T1B2TW
High Tide

I know that most of us here were either at the press conference to introduce our new AD or have seen the video. But for those who haven't done either here is the video of that press conference.

phpBB [video]

I think we've got the right person guys and gals!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WOW!

Can I say it again?

WOW!

I don't think Ive been as fired up about Tulane Athletics as I am right now EVER! I found myself wanting to send a small donation just to show that the attitude and tone of this press conference is SO DIFFERENT that I'm truly excited.

I will wait until a coach is hired, but I am absolutely re-engaged in Tulane Athletics, and will limit my bitching and moaning for the next year or so as Mr. Dannen takes hold of the ship and steers us towards the promised land. I cannot afford much, but I haven't reached for the checkbook for Tulane Athletics in a very, very long time.

ROLL WAVE!
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

long green

Right back at ya.

Stunning ignorance, especially since there's been pretty much universal excitement on this forum. But that's what happens when you are gullible enough to believe that free speech is somehow a bad and necessarily negative thing.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

ROLL WAVE!
If he can hire a football coach like he gives an interview and a presser we are going to be in good shape!
Actually, the two skills are more closely linked than most realize. When being approached/interviewed, you can't help but get excited about the prospect of working for a guy like that. Recruiting is like sales in that way.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I love the fact that he turned the interview around and asked both the search committee and the President what they want out of their next AD. This man is a complete 180 from Rick Dickson. I also see how everyone thinks it's a break from Cowen (who I think was the worst thing to ever happen to Tulane.)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:RD no longer AD, now special assistant to Fitts:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
While a technicality, another move to push back against Cowen's political machine. Fantastic.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I love the fact that he turned the interview around and asked both the search committee and the President what they want out of their next AD. This man is a complete 180 from Rick Dickson. I also see how everyone thinks it's a break from Cowen (who I think was the worst thing to ever happen to Tulane.)
That's exactly what I said our candidate needed to do. Now we have to hope our next football coach will do the same.