Press conference

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:
winwave wrote:He won it!!!
I disagree. It was a tie.
Nice one Jax! :lol:

The second commandment has not been abrogated.
GreenLantern
Riptide

About this neckwear stuff, I've got to go with the consensus on Rick Dickson's sartorial omissions. For any man wishing to communicate power and authority in executive environments, the correct necktie is absolutely mandatory.

For over a decade of my life I was president of the retail division of Wemco Inc., the world's largest neckwear manufacturer (Webmley, Countess Mara, JeSuis, Oscar de la Renta, Tabasco) located here in beautiful New Orleans. Wemco's former CEO, Sidney Pulitzer, is currently an Adjunct Lecturer in the Freeman School of Business. I don't know sports as well as many of you, but I know a couple things about neckties.

Neckties are so important that we once ran a national contest for the Super Bowl. If the game ended in a 'tie' in regulation time, a name would be drawn from a pool of customers and the winner would receive a cool quarter million dollars. As of yet, no Super Bowl ended in a tie and gone to overtime. Similarly I don't expect Rick Dickson to end his tenure as AD in a tie nor overtime.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDTulane
Riptide

The tie thing is a joke for most of us. That said... RD reads these forums and knew it irritated people. It's a silly thing but just adds a nice bow on this package for many of us
Robert1969
Riptide

I posted this in the potential coaches thread, but in case you missed it:

Dannen: 'We're spending real money on a football coach. I've asked for a pool and I've got a pool that is highly competitive." #TulaneAD

https://twitter.com/_andrew_lopez/statu ... 3438328832

Dannen: "It's a pool that's going to allow us to talk to anyone that we should be talking to." #TulaneAD

https://twitter.com/_andrew_lopez/statu ... 8842767360

Should get interesting fast.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I couldn't watch the press conference, but this thread has me pumped up. Hopefully, they'll keep the archive on the website.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Very impressive guy. I spoke to him afterwards and I found him to be very friendly and business like. He's open to all suggestions from fans. He plans on sitting down with coaches and administrators sometime in January to evaluate each position. He wants everyone onboard to make winning a priority. I also spoke to Doug Hertz and I believe he's the most influential person behind his hire. Mr Hertz wants Tulane to build an athletic program the entire city can get behind and be proud of. Overall this was far and away the finest presser Tulane has ever presented. For the first time in my memory every print, TV, radio and digital media person was in attendance.
I give Tulane an A+ today they knocked it out of the park. I plan on recording all the sports shows tonight to see all of the interviews.
Folks get onboard there is a culture change going on Uptown I haven't seen in my lifetime.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
T1B2TW
High Tide

HoustonWave wrote:I couldn't watch the press conference, but this thread has me pumped up. Hopefully, they'll keep the archive on the website.
Ditto for me. I'm fired up. All I need now is to get fired up again when the presser for the new football coach is upon us. :thumbup:
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:I plan on recording all the sports shows tonight to see all of the interviews.
I hope you'll post anything noteworthy? It would be appreciated. I won't be around to watch tonight.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JTLiuzza wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I plan on recording all the sports shows tonight to see all of the interviews.
I hope you'll post anything noteworthy? It would be appreciated. I won't be around to watch tonight.
Sure will.
Tulane Class of 1981
JDTulane
Riptide

Great comments on working with Burke. Listening to it again now
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
Sure will.
Many thanks. :cheers:
rollinggreen
High Tide

I attended the press conference today and am glad to say I am back. I had stated that until that assclown Dickson was gone I would not attend any Tulane sporting events. The assclown is gone! Long live the King!
LSU-MD
Low Tide

1. He killed it because any AD worth his salt would have googled Tulane message boards and found out what the fans liked and didn't like.
2. Anybody got a link?
OUG
Riptide

http://pro.klrz-fm.tritonflex.com/commo ... =blog&r=61

Gus Kattengel's interview with TD starts at about the 56 minute mark in the above linked audio.
Wavetime
Swell

LSU-MD wrote:1. He killed it because any AD worth his salt would have googled Tulane message boards and found out what the fans liked and didn't like.
2. Anybody got a link?

He killed it because he said, with passion, that he intends to win. That's all anybody ever wanted.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

I found the video that was just uploaded to youtube. It is only 20 mins so I hope that is the whole press conference. If Tulane starts winning in football they could move up my list of teams to cheer for. Tulane could easily become my 4th favorite team. The gf and her dad (both Tulane grads BTW) certainly are happy right now. I guess I'll watch the press conference and see why she is so "happy". :wink: :eyebrows: So Ro...

Sorry just can't force myself to say it.

Here is the link if anybody else needs to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShJuo9Drv0

ETA: Holy Toledo! Has he really hired 15 coaches that have won coaches of the year awards in their respective coaches?
chain gang x man
Swell

Did Nola.com send anyone to cover the press conference?
No post on their site
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Did Nola.com send anyone to cover the press conference?
No post on their site
Jeff Duncan
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Very impressive guy. I spoke to him afterwards and I found him to be very friendly and business like. He's open to all suggestions from fans. He plans on sitting down with coaches and administrators sometime in January to evaluate each position. He wants everyone onboard to make winning a priority. I also spoke to Doug Hertz and I believe he's the most influential person behind his hire. Mr Hertz wants Tulane to build an athletic program the entire city can get behind and be proud of. Overall this was far and away the finest presser Tulane has ever presented. For the first time in my memory every print, TV, radio and digital media person was in attendance.
I give Tulane an A+ today they knocked it out of the park. I plan on recording all the sports shows tonight to see all of the interviews.
Folks get onboard there is a culture change going on Uptown I haven't seen in my lifetime.
After having a chance to listen to the press conference online, I agree.

If Burke had been hired, I was preparing myself to walk away. This is very refreshing. As I've always said, a fish rots at the head, and Cowen/Dickson have been strangling the oxygen out of the program for a long time now. Dannen and his energy and enthusiasm will breathe new life into the program. Even the media can sense the difference, and they had given up on Dickson long ago as well, even though Ed Daniels was the only one saying as much out loud.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:
LSU-MD wrote:1. He killed it because any AD worth his salt would have googled Tulane message boards and found out what the fans liked and didn't like.
2. Anybody got a link?

He killed it because he said, with passion, that he intends to win. That's all anybody ever wanted.
So simple, and yet those two things eluded Rick Dickson. Good riddance. I hope he collects his undeserved paycheck from home, so as to not infect the Wilson Center with his losing aura any more.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Was there anyone under 70 in attendance? When they showed the crowd it was nothing, but old guys.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU-MD wrote:Was there anyone under 70 in attendance? When they showed the crowd it was nothing, but old guys.
Not many. Lol.
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

LSU-MD wrote:Was there anyone under 70 in attendance? When they showed the crowd it was nothing, but old guys.
In fairness, Friday at 11:00 most folks younger than retirement age are at work. If your point is that our fanbase is dismally small, we know that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ch 6 Sports had a good interview on his philosophy. He said the kids like the high power offense but he wants to hire a coach that has the best plan doesn't matter if he comes from a defense background or an offensive background. And then he said he's more concerned about the coordinators that they bring in. So he was very vague in that he didn't have a preference either way. He's just looking for a good plan from the coach to be.
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Ch 6 Sports had a good interview on his philosophy. He said the kids like the high power offense but he wants to hire a coach that has the best plan doesn't matter if he comes from a defense background or an offensive background. And then he said he's more concerned about the coordinators that they bring in. So he was very vague in that he didn't have a preference either way. He's just looking for a good plan from the coach to be.
It sounds like he doesn't want to show his cards before the interviewees show theirs. I like it.
God Bless Everyone!