On a score of 1-10 how satisfied are you with Dannen's hire?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

On a score of 1-10 how satisfied are you with Dannen's hire?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
20%
7%
20%
27%
27%
No votes

Total votes: 15
Robert1969
Riptide

When it was first announced I was about a 7, now I am a 9.

How satisfied are you?

HoustonWave
Tsunami

I guess I'm an 8, trending upward.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm like both of you. I started as a 7, but the more I read and hear, the better I like it, so trending upward. Not sure if I can go as high as 9+ until I hear his vision and see who he hires for FB coach. So 8+ for now.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

When I first heard the name I was at 2 (mostly because of past Tulane blunders)
After reading up I'm at 7
Waiting on the HC for the next rating
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
hounddog
Low Tide

8 moving up.
Show Me
Tsunami

5 staying neutral until I see him in action.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Initially I was low but I'm up to an 8. I have this strange feeling that the "praise" and "lovefest" for both Cowen and Dickson from the board and Tulane Administration are not as strong as many of us believed. I'm starting to wonder if publicly they said all the right things but deep down they had many of the same feelings we all had about these 2. Cowen/Dickson had to much power that people did not want to challenge. Now they are gone. I can't help but think Fitts had to see this and went his own direction.

I know some people in the athletic department also share this "theory".
GreenLantern
Riptide

The value of a tree is determined by its fruits and not its roots.

I like everything I've heard and read about Dannen. I'm excited about the seemingly clean break with the past. I hope his coaching hires and the strategic goals he prepares for Tulane athletics over the next 24 months are equally satisfying. Then and only then will any opinion have value.

This will be a thread with which we can look back upon with interest in a few years.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Obviously, there's not much to know yet.

But based on what I know so far? 9
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm at a 7. Want to hear his statement tomorrow and see who he hires for football before going any higher.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Show Me wrote:5 staying neutral until I see him in action.
That's about where I am having seen this show before and I'm not putting a number on it. Don't want to rain on any parade and I've wished the man luck in another thread but Tulane doesn't get any exuberance from me until it gets off it's dumb arse, FOR ONCE, and actually does something. "Show me" is exactly all they deserve IMO. They squandered the benefit of the doubt a long time ago. I used to pour my money into that hole until I wised up.

Troy has a tough row to hoe. He not only has to dig out from beneath decades of failure but also a culture of deception, arrogance, and abject stupidity that has defined Tulane and the athletic department for at least the last 15 years. The good news is it is absolutely possible to dig out from the corrosive legacy of Cowen and his hand picked lackey Dickson. It's going to take more than rhetoric although right now, making the right noises sure does help. And he's doing that.

He's going to have to display that, for the first time in too long, wins and losses actually do matter. I'll be patient and hopeful. Heck I've waited this long. And you can bet Aresco and the rest of the AAC are going to be keeping an eye as well, as they should.

I very much hope Troy succeeds and we can all, finally, put the last decade and a half behind us.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:I'm at a 7. Want to hear his statement tomorrow and see who he hires for football before going any higher.
plus one for me also
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

It's a little premature to rate this hire. I'll have a better handle after watching the introductory press conference. If he shows up wearing a tie then he already surpasses Dickson by a wide margin.
green4life
Low Tide

Two part answer:
The hiring process was just sublime in the way it head faked just about everyone out of our collective jocks. A complete lid was on this and that shows a measure of professional discipline. [Maybe the lawyer in Fitts.] Zero people predicted this. So a 10 there.

I like the youth and vigor that comes with it (8)...soon though TD will begin to recede from the limelight and begin that foundational work in the background. Hiring coaches, Approaching Donors, getting commitments from them and the Alumni, and businesses, NOLA in general, and the conference. So I am optimistic there but hard to score, but he comes with good references. I'll go 8. Show time starts tomorrow. Although, he (they) are probably working it tonight. (Thursday).

Roll Wave.
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
greenphantom
Swell

Based on comments by Dan Wolken and others along with Dannen's comments thus far, 8 and rising
JDTulane
Riptide

We will all revote after his first hire. I wait till then.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:We will all revote after his first hire. I wait till then.
At first I read this as revolt. :mrgreen: ( Hopefully that's not the case)
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

This will be even better than we all anticipated. Finally, a A.D we may all come to like and respect. What a change!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
TURVS71
Swell

For now, I'll go with a "7." Going to meet him today and have already traded a very positive email with him.

Need to see his visions and actions first. Remember, Dickson came with so many accolades and we all know how he operated......
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

Anyone who goes to the presser at the Glazer Club today and gets to speak with him, please let us know what was said. I'm sure there's lots of stuff that won't hit the papers. Specifically, I'm interested to know if he's got the same ultimate goal of P5 admission that we all do. Even if its not the first order of business, that needs to be the final destination.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Anyone who goes to the presser at the Glazer Club today and gets to speak with him, please let us know what was said. I'm sure there's lots of stuff that won't hit the papers. Specifically, I'm interested to know if he's got the same ultimate goal of P5 admission that we all do. Even if its not the first order of business, that needs to be the final destination.
Tulane going to stream it here:
www.tulanegreenwave.com
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

5 for now, since he hasn't done anything yet can't rate him other than middle of the pack. After he hires a coach and is in the job for a year or so then you can give a meaningful rating.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
OUG
Riptide

I was at like an 8 within 30 minutes of the announcement and am still there.

Most people were just low initially because his name hadn't been surfaced and therefore they were set on Patulski. The fact is, who knows if he was even offered the job. They kept Dannen's name secret because they wanted him. If they'd have leaked it 5 days before the announcement we would have been begging for Dannen and all been very happy when he was announced.

At the end of the day, he'll be judged on wins and losses. We may not know immediately. But he was brought in here to win. That I'm confident of.
puffy
Surge

5. Football and potentially basketball hires will determine everything.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:Based on comments by Dan Wolken and others along with Dannen's comments thus far, 8 and rising
GreenPhantom, I'm @ 8.5 but if Troy Dannen hires Larry Coker for new Head coach I then plunge to a 1. :winkgrin: I am confident that won't happen. :megagrin: