Tulane's New AD - Troy Dannen from UNI

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Scott Kushner ‏@ScottDKushner 1m1 minute ago
Confirmed: Troy Dannen, from Northern Iowa, will be #Tulane's next athletic director
Discuss... :shock:

My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
RobertM320
Green Wave

He's been at his alma mater as AD. Never worked outside of Iowa. WTF does he know about southern college football? We're screwed again.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
dpm wave
Swell

From some reporter in Iowa:

https://twitter.com/ScottWesterberg/sta ... 5063361536

Scott Westerberg ‏@ScottWesterberg 28m28 minutes ago
Sources are confirming to me that current UNI Athletic Director Troy Dannen will be named the AD at Tulane this afternoon.

Here he is:
http://unipanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=151
his passion and drive for the Purple and Gold
wears a tie

His last tweet:
Troy Dannen ‏@UNIPantherAD Nov 29
.@UNIVolleyball makes the NCAA tourney. @UNIFootball in the 2nd round. MBB Wins over #1 N Carolina....in the last 8 days. #howsyourweek
Last edited by dpm wave on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I'd rather Burke.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
JerseyWave
Riptide

I don't like this. How is this guy going to fix football? Patulski must have rejected the job and Burke did not wow Fitts.

At least this does not appear to have Cowen or Dickson's fingerprints on it. Someone convince us that this is the guy to lead Tulane Football out of the darkness and he will hire the right coach.
Wave755
Tsunami

LSU Law Greenie wrote:I'd rather Burke.
Yep, its Dannen. https://twitter.com/ScottWesterberg?ref ... r%5Eauthor

I'm fine with it, we need a complete break with our Cow/Dick past and now have it. I wish Barbara Burke all the best.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome aboard. Best of luck.

On the good side it is a clean break. However it is certainly not awe inspiring. Hopefully he changes that w/his football hire.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
breaker
Ripple

Northern Iowa has been very successful for quite some time, and without great resources being #3 in a modestly populated state. And, he's been the head guy for several years so he won't be new at the leadership part like Patulski. Maybe not a home run, but at least a stand-up double. Like the hire a lot!
anEngineer
Riptide

This guy was UnderArmor National AD of the year for 2014. I think that deserves a chance. Seems like a solid hire.
Wave755
Tsunami

On November 21st UNI Men's basketball beat North Carolina 71-67. :megagrin:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Who?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Wow! I'm at a loss for words. Northern Iowa? All of the secret interviews and meetings for this. Not a home-run, not a double, not sure if it is even a bloop single. Hopefully he can find a football coach.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
oliveandblue
Surge

He's a quiet hire. But when you wake up in the morning, re-read what he's done and the success of UNI sports over the last five years.

The AD doesn't need to be splashy if he wins games (check) and keeps the kiddos on track to their degree (check).

I have a creeping feeling that this is going to actually pan out just fine. This BTW is 100% Fitts. This isn't a manipulated backroom Cowen hire.
Wavetime
Swell

I really don't know what to say other than Welcome Aboard! Well, talk about a mystery candidate!!!!!

I know nothing about Northern Iowa except that they are in a state with 2 BCS schools and thus are probably the 3rd or 4th biggest school in a rural state. I guess it's like getting the AD from ULM or ULL. Not awe inspiring that's for sure. But hey, have to keep an open mind. Can't do much worse and we are no longer connected to Cowen.

Yep, this is Fitt's baby now!!!!

http://www.unipanthers.com/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:I'd rather Burke.
Yep, its Dannen. https://twitter.com/ScottWesterberg?ref ... r%5Eauthor

I'm fine with it, we need a complete break with our Cow/Dick past and now have it. I wish Barbara Burke all the best.
755... I agree a complete break was needed and a new attitude brought in...while not an AD from the SEC or Big12 he has had exposure to the Big10 and has been a member of several NCAA committees...the football team has an 8-4 record this year with a game at Portland State this week end...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... ttxJhihRQw
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Northern Iowa Football is 8-4 this year. I'll judge this AD when he delivers Tulane a Football Coach. If he has already signed a contract with Tulane then he better be working this nonstop 100% until he lands a winner! After that, he can go back to Iowa and tie up loose ends.
anEngineer
Riptide

I can't believe how many people have been chomping at the bit for 2 weeks waiting for this announcement so they could complain without even knowing anything about the guy. This is a solid hire of a relatively young AD (48) who has had success at a lower level and wants to move it to the next level. He wants it so badly, he is willing to move to a different part of the country to accomplish it. There are no red flags on this guy at all. Stop the grousing; they know how to play football in the Midwest pretty well.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wow!! We waited 3 months for this. I wish him the best, and hope he's wildly successful. I can only guess that we couldn't cough up the money for Pultaski. Baylor probably went into their petty cash drawer and quickly exceeded anything we could pay. Several years of P5 money has put Baylor and TCU in another financial universe than Tulane. Not only are we no longer "attached at the hip", we aren't even in the same world--thanks to the Cowenistas.

I'm not even going to try to guess who may end up as our new HC. There are two many minor universities to pick from.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Northern Iowa Football is 8-4 this year. I'll judge this AD when he delivers Tulane a Football Coach. If he has already signed a contract with Tulane then he better be working this nonstop 100% until he lands a winner! After that, he can go back to Iowa and tie up loose ends.
//www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s ... ttxJhihRQw
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Northern Iowa Football is 8-4 this year. I'll judge this AD when he delivers Tulane a Football Coach. If he has already signed a contract with Tulane then he better be working this nonstop 100% until he lands a winner! After that, he can go back to Iowa and tie up loose ends.
This is the coach he hired

No he didn't. The coach has been there 15 years, Dannen's only been there for 8.

So, maybe he can get Dannon Yogurt as one of our sponsors.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
puffy
Surge

Dan Wolken LOVES this hire.
Robert1969
Riptide

Well, not a splash hire, but the guy seems solid. I am not opposed to hiring ADs from lower division schools if they've been successful. "Under Armour AD of the year" sounds like success. This guy definitely doesn't sound like a Cowen type move. He wins, and that is good enough for me, at least for now.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Another thing, when Dannen introduces the new Football Coach, I better not be saying, "Who", like I am today.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
This is the coach he hired

No he didn't. The coach has been there 15 years, Dannen's only been there for 8.

So, maybe he can get Dannon Yogurt as one of our sponsors.
U are correct and I had already ammended my post
Wave755
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:I really don't know what to say other than Welcome Aboard! Well, talk about a mystery candidate!!!!!

I know nothing about Northern Iowa except that they are in a state with 2 BCS schools and thus are probably the 3rd or 4th biggest school in a rural state. I guess it's like getting the AD from ULM or ULL. Not awe inspiring that's for sure. But hey, have to keep an open mind. Can't do much worse and we are no longer connected to Cowen.

Yep, this is Fitt's baby now!!!!

http://www.unipanthers.com/
Ed Conroy beware, UNI MBB beat North Carolina 71-67 on 11/21. No more "Tricky Dick" Dickson as A D for you. :warn:
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.