Tulane fires Volleyball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Guerry Smith ‏@Guersmith 29m29 minutes ago
#Tulane fires volleyball coach after back-to-back dreadful seasons in AAC. New commitment to winning?
Guerry Smith ‏@Guersmith 19m19 minutes ago
After 28-4 season in last year of CUSA, #Tulane volleyball went 5-27 and 10-22 in 1st 2 years of AAC, 7-33 in conference.
Change is a coming!

Roll Wave!

I'd love to know who pulled the trigger on this one? I would have to think Burke - has RD fired anyone in his life?

My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
Jonathan
Riptide

Who cares about volleyball. It is like bowling. A very minor sport with zero revenue. The only people who go to these games are the parents of the players. When Rick Dickson's daughter was on the team he put all of his effort to retain the best coach.
Show Me
Tsunami

3 years too late
JerseyWave
Riptide

If Burke did the honors then she has scored big points with me....finally accountability is happening. CJ gone in four years instead of the usual five, Momic...long overdue. Look out Conroy....YOU'RE NEXT!!!!!!!!
oliveandblue
Surge

Conroy better make the NIT or he's history.

This "accountability" thing is something new here at Tulane.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Interesting. Here's the first sentence from Momic's bio on the Tulane Athletics website (seems to be a bit of a reality disconnect):
If success is measure by victories and accolades, the Sinisa Momic era of Tulane volleyball has more than met expectations during his six seasons at the helm of the Green Wave program.
JerseyWave
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote:Conroy better make the NIT or he's history.

Long overdue!!! The new AD is going have a clean slate to hire their own Football Coach, Volleyball Coach and could very well a Men's Basketball Coach in March. Rick Dickson should have been fired a long time ago!!!!! Look at the mess he is leaving behind!
GreenGears
Low Tide

I wonder (read pray) if Fitts is actually the guy pushing out all of these people. He arrives last summer, evaluates the situation for a few months. He then realizes he has a terrible AD who is somehow popular with the board so he nudges the AD into "retirement" and now we're cleaning house throughout athletics. We can only hope that Basketball is also on the chopping block...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:Conroy better make the NIT or he's history.

Long overdue!!! The new AD is going have a clean slate to hire their own Football Coach, Volleyball Coach and could very well a Men's Basketball Coach in March. Rick Dickson should have been fired a long time ago!!!!! Look at the mess he is leaving behind!
And they should. This is a good sign.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

GreenGears wrote:I wonder (read pray) if Fitts is actually the guy pushing out all of these people. He arrives last summer, evaluates the situation for a few months. He then realizes he has a terrible AD who is somehow popular with the board so he nudges the AD into "retirement" and now we're cleaning house throughout athletics. We can only hope that Basketball is also on the chopping block...
How can you have any doubt that this is the case? Do you think that Momic would be terminated if President Fitts disapproved? Surely you can't believe that Dickson has suddenly decided to judge by the W-L ratio.
GreenGears
Low Tide

GreenLantern wrote:
GreenGears wrote:I wonder (read pray) if Fitts is actually the guy pushing out all of these people. He arrives last summer, evaluates the situation for a few months. He then realizes he has a terrible AD who is somehow popular with the board so he nudges the AD into "retirement" and now we're cleaning house throughout athletics. We can only hope that Basketball is also on the chopping block...
How can you have any doubt that this is the case? Do you think that Momic would be terminated if President Fitts disapproved? Surely you can't believe that Dickson has suddenly decided to judge by the W-L ratio.
I'll wait to buy in until we see who the new AD, football HC and mens basketball HC are.
JerseyWave
Riptide

GreenGears wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
I'll wait to buy in until we see who the new AD, football HC and mens basketball HC are.
I suspect that Dickson has been neutered. Fitts should just tell him to clean out his office and start retirement early. I don't want to smell him when the new AD and coaches are introduced.
GreenLantern
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:
GreenGears wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
I suspect that Dickson has been neutered. Fitts should just tell him to clean out his office and start retirement early. I don't want to smell him when the new AD and coaches are introduced.
I believe the last gasp from Dickson was the bungled Johnson termination (Thursday; "He's not fired until I say he's fired"; Monday: "Okay, he's fired"). That served absolutely no purpose except to assuage the pride of an egomaniac.

I don't have the insider access that many of you enjoy, but everything points to the fact that Dickson has been told to stand down and take no further action without permission.