CJ gone per USA Today made official

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

The University has an obligation to the student athletes, fans, season ticket holders, donors, AAC, TV networks, etc to at least come out every week and try to win and to at least put a team out there that shows effort. These kids have no shot to win with this staff and they know it. CJ has clearly thrown in the towel so I believe the University owes everyone the opportunity to have a coach who will at least attempt to get this team fired up and attempt to win. We don't even compete. It's not that CJ isn't doing his job well, it's that he's not doing his job at all. We have seen what a CJ led team looks like and it's embarassing and miserable to watch. There are still 6 games left and this type of effort and performance is unacceptable. There is no improvement, there will be no late season resurgence. This is a team and a staff going through the motions. It's total B.S. and it's disrespectful to everyone involved. The President needs to step in here and clean house right now. Tell Dickson to get out his office and take CJ with him, let Washington or Rollins finish the season. We need a complete change in direction and we need it yesterday.

sader24
Tsunami

BTW Eldrick Washington just got tossed from the game for getting in a referee's face. Toss his ass off the team.
JerseyWave
Riptide

You are absolutely correct! Tulane has an obligation to the AAC, the sponsors, ESPN and ticket holders to play competitive Football. This can not be allowed to continue any longer. This is the worst offensive football I have ever seen at Tulane. The team lacks discipline, leadership, and fight!
sader24
Tsunami

If the University really cares about these kids they'll at least give them a leader who will show some fire and some fight for the last 6 games.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:If the University really cares about these kids they'll at least give them a leader who will show some fire and some fight for the last 6 games.
What makes you think they care about the kids anymore than they care about the alumni?
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

Shoot, our Board is just trying to find an AD as good as Rick Dickson. Seriously.
sader24
Tsunami

I don't think they care, that's why I posed the question like that.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Both Dickson and CJ should be cleaning out their offices this weekend!
Bham Wave
Ripple

Houston ran a simple HS offense. Got ball in hands of its best players and let them make plays. Ward couldn't read a defense if his life depended on it. He is an athlete who has one read patterns and makes plays. Team got the ball in #10 hands and he made plays.

We have Hilliard, Badie, and Veal on bench half the time.

Our drive to start the second half had Rounds, Hicks, Dace, and Ardoin out there. Really? Is that the best the staff can come up with at half time.

Total disgrace.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

If Tulane were run by competitive adults that would be the case.
Jaxwave
Swell

Wait. What's wrong with playing everybody. Isn't that what little league is all.......oh what? This is major college football! That's not what I just watched.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Just realized, who at Tulane would do the firing? Lame duck Rick Dickson isn't going to fire CJ. Burke doesn't have the power. Fitts won't touch Athletics until the committee makes a recommendation to him on the new AD. It's really a horrible situation.
sader24
Tsunami

Would have to be Fitts. Once again, this isn't a football team. It's a daycare with pads.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

CJ will get another year. It's not even worth discussion. RD made sure to lock him up until 2020.
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

I don't want the lame duck AD hiring the new coach but this needs to be CJ's last year. CJ has brought in better players than what he inherited. We are ripe for a turnaround with the right coaching.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It was hard going to the game tonight for me. I've lost interest in this team and the season. This is the most inept offense I've ever seen. I enjoy seeing Country Day better. Their offense is imaginative and explosive. Of the ten plays we run only the fake punt works. We have no other plays that work absolutely none. . I left after they ran the punt back later 3rd Qtr which I called. Had this game been at the Dome I would have stayed home. It's like tourture trying to watch an entire game. The team entered the field to start the game dead. UH was jumping up and down and couldn't wait to get started. It's hard to believe but the lack of discipline this year is worst than last year. I'm going to bed this discussion is not worth my time.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Ernie McCracken wrote:CJ will get another year. It's not even worth discussion. RD made sure to lock him up until 2020.
When Toledo was given a 5th year, since Dickson "noted improvement for the 2010 season" :lolgreen: what little was left of our fan base "evaporated," they "voted with their feet," resulting in the 2011 scanner count game of 972 for UTEP, Toledo's last game as head coach. The same will be true for a 5th year for CJ.
ideal1965
Ripple

And hire who? With what? 50+ years ago someone decided to not have an emphasis on athletics, leave the SEC. Actually go independent for a short time. Reality is, we have no facilities, stadium, weight room or anything to recruit top athletes. When we hired CJ we had nothing at all regarding talent - nothing. We have upgraded significantly from where we were 4 years ago, but we have a long way to go. The university is 50 years behind because of decisions made 50 years ago. To get the money to build the stadium - sure did not from come alumni, at least the big donors. The current staff, was at least 6 years from building a contender with what they started with. This program needs $$$$ to compete, and we do not have the alumni that will donate. We have not been an athletic school for over 50 years, and a football coach is not going to change that. I am not saying he is doing a great job, but if someone really thinks we have the $$$ to bring in a big name that is delusional. We are a long way, away from being competitive in anything on a national scale. Endowment is nothing like a Stanford or can we get the Faith Based $$, like Baylor, Duke, TCU, BYU, Notre Dame, or even Wake. To top it off, we are no cakewalk in the classroom, and no local following. It will be very hard to get a significant upgrade from what we have. we can not even afford to keep top assistants with what the athletic budget is. We lost a head golf coach to be an assistant somewhere else if I remember correctly. Lost our best weight coach for disciplining a bowler. We have no $$$$$$$ to compete, the problem is decisions made50 years earlier.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:
Ernie McCracken wrote:CJ will get another year. It's not even worth discussion. RD made sure to lock him up until 2020.
When Toledo was given a 5th year, since Dickson "noted improvement for the 2010 season" :lolgreen: what little was left of our fan base "evaporated," they "voted with their feet," resulting in the 2011 scanner count game of 972 for UTEP, Toledo's last game as head coach. The same will be true for a 5th year for CJ.
Unless something changes, that's exactly right. Green Wave has tipped it off that this was Dickson's plan, hence the MSU > UMass scheduling trade. Also why Dickson said it would be "irresponsible" not to give Toledo a contract extension.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ideal1965 wrote:And hire who? With what? 50+ years ago someone decided to not have an emphasis on athletics, leave the SEC. Actually go independent for a short time. Reality is, we have no facilities, stadium, weight room or anything to recruit top athletes. When we hired CJ we had nothing at all regarding talent - nothing. We have upgraded significantly from where we were 4 years ago, but we have a long way to go. The university is 50 years behind because of decisions made 50 years ago. To get the money to build the stadium - sure did not from come alumni, at least the big donors. The current staff, was at least 6 years from building a contender with what they started with. This program needs $$$$ to compete, and we do not have the alumni that will donate. We have not been an athletic school for over 50 years, and a football coach is not going to change that. I am not saying he is doing a great job, but if someone really thinks we have the $$$ to bring in a big name that is delusional. We are a long way, away from being competitive in anything on a national scale. Endowment is nothing like a Stanford or can we get the Faith Based $$, like Baylor, Duke, TCU, BYU, Notre Dame, or even Wake. To top it off, we are no cakewalk in the classroom, and no local following. It will be very hard to get a significant upgrade from what we have. we can not even afford to keep top assistants with what the athletic budget is. We lost a head golf coach to be an assistant somewhere else if I remember correctly. Lost our best weight coach for disciplining a bowler. We have no $$$$$$$ to compete, the problem is decisions made50 years earlier.
Dude. DICKSON JUST SPENT $100M. He's literally taking victory laps. The T-P reported he was "beaming" just a few weeks ago. We have plenty of money and we've spent plenty of money. But this is organizational incompetence and 50 years ago has nothing to do with it. We'd be in a P5 right now if it weren't for Cowen/Dickson.

The problems you are listing are all the result of Cowen/Dickson. But they insist that they are doing great and are still collecting large paychecks. The alumni have allowed this to happen, and instead of doing something about it, they attack those who want to do something about it.
ideal1965
Ripple

jonathanjoseph wrote:
ideal1965 wrote:And hire who? With what? 50+ years ago someone decided to not have an emphasis on athletics, leave the SEC. Actually go independent for a short time. Reality is, we have no facilities, stadium, weight room or anything to recruit top athletes. When we hired CJ we had nothing at all regarding talent - nothing. We have upgraded significantly from where we were 4 years ago, but we have a long way to go. The university is 50 years behind because of decisions made 50 years ago. To get the money to build the stadium - sure did not from come alumni, at least the big donors. The current staff, was at least 6 years from building a contender with what they started with. This program needs $$$$ to compete, and we do not have the alumni that will donate. We have not been an athletic school for over 50 years, and a football coach is not going to change that. I am not saying he is doing a great job, but if someone really thinks we have the $$$ to bring in a big name that is delusional. We are a long way, away from being competitive in anything on a national scale. Endowment is nothing like a Stanford or can we get the Faith Based $$, like Baylor, Duke, TCU, BYU, Notre Dame, or even Wake. To top it off, we are no cakewalk in the classroom, and no local following. It will be very hard to get a significant upgrade from what we have. we can not even afford to keep top assistants with what the athletic budget is. We lost a head golf coach to be an assistant somewhere else if I remember correctly. Lost our best weight coach for disciplining a bowler. We have no $$$$$$$ to compete, the problem is decisions made50 years earlier.
Dude. DICKSON JUST SPENT $100M. He's literally taking victory laps. The T-P reported he was "beaming" just a few weeks ago. We have plenty of money and we've spent plenty of money. But this is organizational incompetence and 50 years ago has nothing to do with it. We'd be in a P5 right now if it weren't for Cowen/Dickson.

The problems you are listing are all the result of Cowen/Dickson. But they insist that they are doing great and are still collecting large paychecks. The alumni have allowed this to happen, and instead of doing something about it, they attack those who want to do something about it.
Exactly - it is the alumni, the lions share of that $100m came from non alumni. Alumni is disconnected with athletics, we are years away from that changing if it is possible. What the new reality is - IMO and it is just an opinion, I think we have a coaching graveyard. What decent coaches we have in all the sports, leave when given the chance. Who would really want the job? Houston is not a good example, don't forget they have been good at football for decades, Sumlin was there before A&M, Herman knew he had some base to work with, also $$$ spent on all of the facilities already, and some legacy.
sader24
Tsunami

Houston got their Coach for an amount of money that we could pay. It doesn't take 6 years to build a winning program and I'm sorry, but he's not getting the job done. The team is worse now than it was his 1st season. His recruiting has been overrated from Day 1, he can't figure out how to recruit the right numbers of positions which means he doesnt know how to read a progressive depth chart. The team has quit, they are undisciplined, they have no fire, they have no fundamentals most specifically their inability to tackle anyone. Special Teams are still a dumpster fire as we gave up another TD tonight, and fumbled a kickoff return and ran it back to the 11. People on both boards have been calling for Block to punt the entire season but it took him 2+ years of watching Picarelli fart around out there and boom 28 yarders to make the change. Literally the entire fan base was pleading with him to replace Price at the beginning of the year for the last 2 years which he has refused to do resulting in what is likely the worst offense in the country. He has several starters suspended for the season b/c of academic elgibility restrictions he created that are stricter than both the NCAA and University. He's made any number of boneheaded in game decisions throughout his tenure that even the most juvenile high school position coach wouldnt have made. If you really believe we lost 42-7 tonight b/c of decisions Rufus Harris made and not because our coaching staff has no discipline, no gameplan, no offensive lineman that can keep a QB upright, no WR's that can catch, no defensive players that have been taught how to tackle, horrendous special teams, and just flat out poor coaching you are crazy. I have been around sports both playing and coaching for my entire life and this is by far the worst coached team I've ever seen at any level in any sport. We go into these games knowing we have absolutely no chance to compete with teams we should be able to compete with and beat. The kids have no emotion except Marley and the whole program from players, to coaches, to stadium personnel, to fans are at the game as though it's a chore that we have to sleepwalk through because it's scheduled even though we know we have no shot at competing and know it won't be fun. I wholeheartedly agree the University has screwed up this Athletic Department time and time again, but this guy on the sidelines has no freakin clue what's going on. No matter what the University has going on it's his responsibility to recruit enough guys to fill holes at the right positions, it's his responsibility to get his team fired up to play, it's his responsibility to discipline his guys, it's his responsibility to hire offensive coaches who have a clue, it's his responsibility to fix Special Teams over the course of 4 seasons, it's his responsibility to put a team out there that looks like a team, acts like a team, and shows up every week with the desire to compete, it was his decision to cut Spring Practice short the last two seasons sending a horrendous message to his team that he was SATISFIED with what he saw ( you should never be satisfied), he's the one who sends out a poorly conditioned team every year. This is on him.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CJ Should have been fired right after this game ended !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

A lot of what you say is true, but we can do better.
We made a bowl with Toledos players plus a few transfers and Marley. (Note that we have no transfers since Johnsons contract extension). Johnson makes awhat just a little less than what Houston's coach makes. We have more money than you think. We have no following because we lose but also because the administration sends the message time and time again that losing is okay with them. We run an offense unsuited for all but the best teams in football. There is no discipline at all.
OUG
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
A lot of what you say is true, but we can do better.
We made a bowl with Toledos players plus a few transfers and Marley. (Note that we have no transfers since Johnsons contract extension). Johnson makes awhat just a little less than what Houston's coach makes. We have more money than you think. We have no following because we lose but also because the administration sends the message time and time again that losing is okay with them. We run an offense unsuited for all but the best teams in football. There is no discipline at all.
Nothing bothers me more than the "Tulane model"/"You cant win at Tulane"/"Whats the point?" posts...

You can win at Tulane. Tulane has won before. The reason why Tulane loses is because we don't hold sh*tty coaches accountable.

I've been watching Tulane lose at football for 15 years. You know how many coaches we have had in that span? Three. Just three. We take an unbelievably long time to admit to ourselves that we make a bad hire. Most of that is because fans and the administration are happy to buy into the "It's hard to win here" BS that you see here. It's not hard to win here. It isn't harder to win here than it is at Memphis or Houston or anywhere else. We just have a loser attitude. Top to bottom.

We can fire CJ right now. We can show some accountability. We can show the players and the fans that we care; that it matters; that results are what counts. That would go a long way. But it won't happen. And that loser attitude is why we continue to lose, not any made up crap about academic standards or lack of money or leaving the SEC. Those are the red herrings that enable the loser thinking.