Keeping CJ

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

Good morning everyone,

Part 1- I would like some serious feed back from you guys (Winwave, Sader, TPS, Golfnut, Bigschtick, etc), on what would happen if we do keep CJ.

Part 2 - would the university actually do that.

Part 3 - Commitment from the donors (not the university)

Keeping CJ -If we do keep CJ, from what Hertz has said, the time table for CJ's fate has already been made. If we do keep him, IMHO we will have several transfers in the program, we will lose our top end recruits, our season ticket holders will drop to about 2500 and we will have less than 3500 in the stands. The first year of Yulman and the first 2 games of this year, the students came out, tailgating was rocking and the stands were at least 70% full. We may have been losing money as some may say, but the atmosphere was there. I'm not saying the product was there, but IMHO the atmosphere definitely was. The atmosphere started dwindling this year for obvious reasons. I did what I could 2 years ago to get into St. Rita's lot. I go to the games with my2 teenagers and my 84 yr old dad and 81 yr old uncle who are alums. I wanted to get close for a short bus ride. This year you could drive up to the lot and pay, unreal.

University Action - Would the university actually keep CJ. We all know CJ is a great guy, loves people, keeps his word, is a minister and really is a great ambassador for the university as far as values and flat out being genuine. He is a great role model for many young men. However, for whatever reason his winning formula has not worked. We lost Neu, Speedy's co-coordinator etc after the first year. Our Special Teams have been bad for 8 years (with the exception of Santos and DiRocco this year. BTW, hats off to DiRocco for believing in himself and improving). The question is, will the University keep CJ and whose decision is it. I think if it's RD's decision he will keep him. I honestly believe that the board has gotten to Fitts and he will be gone. Partially because of alums complaining, embarrassing us on TV many times, AAC pressure and losing money.

Donors - Yulman must be embarrassed. He wanted to give the university money and was talked into putting that money towards the stadium. From what it looks like, he has embraced this choice and then had the match challenge and put up even more money. Hertz put up money for the BB IPF. I do believe that this BB IPF has helped recruiting (Conroy is a different topic). Some say that the BB recruiting is mostly from the coaches, but I'm not going to fault the University foe improving facilities. I think The Hertz center is beautiful and a great asset. Goldring- he has donated money to the university for decades and really is a true philanthropist for our city. We as a community and a university are lucky to have him. I am fully aware of the comments he made and I disagree with them. Point being, he donated the land for the Olympic Village and it will get developed and probably be very nice. If we start winning, the P5 will take care of itself. We have all the other pieces. Pieces like location and AAU status that other universities can't obtain, this is our advantage. Like the old saying goes, you can lose weight, but you can't lose ugly. Well, we can win, other universities can't obtain the status of many important categories that we have and have had for decades. Then there's Gayle Benson - the Saints win and have stability (put aside the lawsuit). Yeah, Loomis made some poor decisions lately, but the Saints are not afraid to make decisions, spend money and do what they can to win. No one can argue that. So, IMHO, these 4 board members, who will be making the decisions and have the ear of Fitts will pull the plug on CJ. They have too much invested both personally and financially. I also think that hiring Burke is not a done deal, it's more like 50/50. So I will for go the late start on selecting a new AD (TPS, I know you called White months ago, and you were right), but these 4 board members, 2 of whom are Billionaires and the other 2 may be close, will not be afraid to spend money(at least that's what their background states). I just hope that they rely on their background, experience and put in place a vision that will turn into wins on the field. When I was a kid, the TP Blue Chip list was always about 50/50 or close between us and LSU. Winning will reopen up doors that have been closed since the 70's decade going into Larry Smith. We can get back there but it all starts with these 4 highly recommending to Fitts to make a coaching change. I think they will.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just a concerned lifetime fan at a crossroad. Thoughts?
Last edited by Wavetime on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigschtick
Riptide

Nola Dave?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wavetime
Swell

Oops. It's been a harsh morning. Removed
Jonathan
Riptide

Keeping CJ? Are you crazy? He should be fired today. Blow out for the last two years by other teams and 1-9 SMU yesterday. I want Tulane in the top 25 every year.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:Good morning everyone,

Part 1- I would like some serious feed back from you guys (Winwave, Sader, TPS, Golfnut, Bigschtick, etc), on what would happen if we do keep CJ.

Keeping CJ -If we do keep CJ, from what Hertz has said, the time table for CJ's fate has already been made. If we do keep him, IMHO we will have several transfers in the program, we will lose our top end recruits, our season ticket holders will drop to about 2500 and we will have less than 3500 in the stands. The first year of Yulman and the first 2 games of this year, the students came out, tailgating was rocking and the stands were at least 70% full. We may have been losing money as some may say, but the atmosphere was there. I'm not saying the product was there, but IMHO the atmosphere definitely was. The atmosphere started dwindling this year for obvious reasons. I did what I could 2 years ago to get into St. Rita's lot. I go to the games with my2 teenagers and my 84 yr old dad and 81 yr old uncle who are alums. I wanted to get close for a short bus ride. This year you could drive up to the lot and pay, unreal.

University Action - Would the university actually keep CJ. We all know CJ is a great guy, loves people, keeps his word, is a minister and really is a great ambassador for the university as far as values and flat out being genuine. He is a great role model for many young men. However, for whatever reason his winning formula has not worked. We lost Neu, Speedy's co-coordinator etc after the first year. Our Special Teams have been bad for 8 years (with the exception of Santos and DiRocco this year. BTW, hats off to DiRocco for believing in himself and improving). The question is, will the University keep CJ and whose decision is it. I think if it's RD's decision he will keep him. I honestly believe that the board has gotten to Fitts and he will be gone. Partially because of alums complaining, embarrassing us on TV many times, AAC pressure and losing money.

Donors - Yulman must be embarrassed. He wanted to give the university money and was talked into putting that money towards the stadium. From what it looks like, he has embraced this choice and then had the match challenge and put up even more money. Hertz put up money for the BB IPF. I do believe that this BB IPF has helped recruiting (Conroy is a different topic). Some say that the BB recruiting is mostly from the coaches, but I'm not going to fault the University foe improving facilities. I think The Hertz center is beautiful and a great asset. Goldring- he has donated money to the university for decades and really is a true philanthropist for our city. We as a community and a university are lucky to have him. I am fully aware of the comments he made and I disagree with them. Point being, he donated the land for the Olympic Village and it will get developed and probably be very nice. If we start winning, the P5 will take care of itself. We have all the other pieces. Pieces like location and AAU status that other universities can't obtain, this is our advantage. Like the old saying goes, you can lose weight, but you can't lose ugly. Well, we can win, other universities can't obtain the status of many important categories that we have and have had for decades. Then there's Gayle Benson - the Saints win and have stability (put aside the lawsuit). Yeah, Loomis made some poor decisions lately, but the Saints are not afraid to make decisions, spend money and do what they can to win. No one can argue that. So, IMHO, these 4 board members, who will be making the decisions and have the ear of Fitts will pull the plug on CJ. They have too much invested both personally and financially. I also think that hiring Burke is not a done deal, it's more like 50/50. So I will for go the late start on selecting a new AD (TPS, I know you called White months ago, and you were right), but these 4 board members, 2 of whom are Billionaires and the other 2 may be close, will not be afraid to spend money(at least that's what their background states). I just hope that they rely on their background, experience and put in place a vision that will turn into wins on the field. When I was a kid, the TP Blue Chip list was always about 50/50 or close between us and LSU. Winning will reopen up doors that have been closed since the 70's decade going into Larry Smith. We can get back there but it all starts with these 4 highly recommending to Fitts to make a coaching change. I think they will.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just a concerned lifetime fan at a crossroad. Thoughts?
At the end of the day, a serious university could not retain CJ past last night. That anyone would have this discussion and thought process is pretty clear evidence that the Titanic will go down, we're just arguing about how and when.

No organization can withstand or survive this kind of institutionalized failure and delusion.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, at this point it would be meaningless to fire him today. We play again in 5 days, lets get that over with and then let him go Saturday AM. The time to fire him would have been after the UConn game and it didn't happen.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
msdos
Swell

I doubt we fire him. We'll win 5 tops next year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Of course they could keep him. This is Tulane we are talking about. A lot of these money people you refer to don't really care about sports and they definitely don't know much about sports. If they do keep him the POSS will be emptier than the Dome.

As a fan you may have enjoyed the atmosphere but the place is a HS looking stadium that is not going to be attractive to quality players or coaches. Furthermore the only good atmosphere is a winning atmosphere imho. You can probably add potential AD's to that list. They are going to have to be lucky rather than good. Same for basketball. You don't build the practice facility till you have built a legit D-1 arena. They just do everything wrong.

I do think he will be gone. Then Tulane has to overcome its own inherent roadblocks in order to make three good hires, AD, football and basketball. Based on the history Tulane will have to hope to get lucky w/its 5th or 6th choices for those jobs.

Wish I could give a rosier picture but Tulane has just never shown that it is capable of getting it when it comes to athletics.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenGears
Low Tide

I must be a masochist because I went to this board and clicked on this thread. There is no reason to keep CJ besides letting him preside over the loss in five days time. This was a waste of another 5 years.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

From the perspective of the few remaining fans, I think if we do keep CJ, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who really cares about Tulane anymore to speak out. I know I won't. And I'm pretty sure I would cancel my season tix and only go to a game or two that would peak my interest. Never thought I would say that.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Simple answer here. If we really judge by wins and losses he's gone. If we don't he's back. Just that simple. This isn't rocket science.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ExileWave
Surge

tpstulane wrote:Simple answer here. If we really judge by wins and losses he's gone. If we don't he's back. Just that simple. This isn't rocket science.
TRUTH! Lock the thread :mrgreen:
Houma de Wave
Swell

ExileWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Simple answer here. If we really judge by wins and losses he's gone. If we don't he's back. Just that simple. This isn't rocket science.
TRUTH! Lock the thread :mrgreen:
And throw away the key!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Scott Slatten calling for CJ's head.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/footbal ... 497564845/

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote:From the perspective of the few remaining fans, I think if we do keep CJ, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who really cares about Tulane anymore to speak out. I know I won't. And I'm pretty sure I would cancel my season tix and only go to a game or two that would peak my interest. Never thought I would say that.
When they gave Toledo a 5th year after Dickson "noted improvement" for the 2010 season even though we went 4-8, 2-6, what little was left of our fan base abandoned ship (UTEP game 2011 rumored to have had a scanner count of 972), the same will happen if CJ is back next year.
TulaneSportsGuy
Trickle

Have you ever actually seen how CJ is inside closed doors. He is NOT a good person. He's an even worse person than he is a coach. He treats his plays LIKE SHIT. If you're his favorite (aka Badie or Monroe), then you're treated like you're not even a human being. Curtis Johnson is a terrible person. Sooner or later the public will see. He need to go. Bob Toledo has character and was a man of his word, though a bad coach. CJ is a bad coach, but the opposite character of anyone we want here at Tulane. The players who aren't his favorites hate the guy. And that's not just a few either...

WE NEED CHANGE NOW, #TULANE. NOW!

It's been a long few decades of suffering as a Tulane fan. Please, help us make change..
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TulaneSportsGuy wrote:

Have you ever actually seen how CJ is inside closed doors. He is NOT a good person. He's an even worse person than he is a coach. He treats his plays LIKE sh*t. If you're his favorite (aka Badie or Monroe), then you're treated like you're not even a human being. Curtis Johnson is a terrible person. Sooner or later the public will see. He need to go. Bob Toledo has character and was a man of his word, though a bad coach. CJ is a bad coach, but the opposite character of anyone we want here at Tulane. The players who aren't his favorites hate the guy. And that's not just a few either...

It's been a long few decades of suffering as a Tulane fan. Please, help us make change..
Your insight explains why the team has completely quit on this coach. Being a bad coach and a bad person doesn't leave much else--nice job Tricky Rick.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

TulaneSportsGuy wrote:

Have you ever actually seen how CJ is inside closed doors. He is NOT a good person. He's an even worse person than he is a coach. He treats his plays LIKE sh*t. If you're his favorite (aka Badie or Monroe), then you're treated like you're not even a human being. Curtis Johnson is a terrible person. Sooner or later the public will see. He need to go. Bob Toledo has character and was a man of his word, though a bad coach. CJ is a bad coach, but the opposite character of anyone we want here at Tulane. The players who aren't his favorites hate the guy. And that's not just a few either...

Well if he is a prick, then maybe we will be lucky enough to stop hearing about what a nice guy he is! I say, Show the bum the door!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If we keep CJ, it will be a LOUD AND CLEAR SIGNAL THAT THE BOA AND PRESIDENT FITTS DOESN'T CARE ABOUT COMPETITIVE ATHLETICS. This team stinks, and it's more of a coaching issue than a talent issue.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

I don't claim to be the greatest Tulane fan that has ever lived. However, I'm probably in the top 2,000 or so living. My family in some capacity has had season tickets from the early 40's. If they retain CJ I'm cancelling my season tickets. I will not pay another dime to watch this. I haven't been back to Yulman since they illegally towed my car after the UCF game. I can't pay people to go to these games with me. I didn't watch or listen or even pay attention to the game last night. I have said repeatedly this is the worst coached team I've ever seen. He has no clue what he is doing and neither do the coordinators. If they do not fire him regardless of the result this weekend they will lose what's left of their season ticket base. I have talked to both people who are long time season ticket holders and people within the Athletic Department. For weeks now they have been hearing on a consistent basis that people are cancelling their season tickets if CJ is retained. I actually believe he will be fired the Monday after Tulsa.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I don't claim to be the greatest Tulane fan that has ever lived. However, I'm probably in the top 2,000 or so living. My family in some capacity has had season tickets from the early 40's. If they retain CJ I'm cancelling my season tickets. I will not pay another dime to watch this. I haven't been back to Yulman since they illegally towed my car after the UCF game. I can't pay people to go to these games with me. I didn't watch or listen or even pay attention to the game last night. I have said repeatedly this is the worst coached team I've ever seen. He has no clue what he is doing and neither do the coordinators. If they do not fire him regardless of the result this weekend they will lose what's left of their season ticket base. I have talked to both people who are long time season ticket holders and people within the Athletic Department. For weeks now they have been hearing on a consistent basis that people are cancelling their season tickets if CJ is retained. I actually believe he will be fired the Monday after Tulsa.
You don't give yourself enough credit. Like most here you are top 200 easy. I too am not following as closely. For the last couple of seasons if there's a conflict w/the other team I have always followed I don't bother at all w/the Tulane game. It's so easy in this day and age to follow your team no matter where they are. A lot more fun too. Most of us that still go to the games do it out of habit and a feeling of obligation. However the losing and the low level teams they now lose to has really turned off most everybody. They better get this right or it is OVER.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Constantwave
Ripple

Have you ever actually seen how CJ is inside closed doors. He is NOT a good person. He's an even worse person than he is a coach. He treats his plays LIKE sh*t. If you're his favorite (aka Badie or Monroe), then you're treated like you're not even a human being. Curtis Johnson is a terrible person. Sooner or later the public will see. He need to go. Bob Toledo has character and was a man of his word, though a bad coach. CJ is a bad coach, but the opposite character of anyone we want here at Tulane. The players who aren't his favorites hate the guy. And that's not just a few either…
Not sure where this came from. I have not heard that. My son is currently a student and close friends with several of the guys on the team, and I’ve spoken to a few also. To use a direct quote of their words, CJ is a “pussy” who can’t bring himself to discipline them. They see him as almost too nice of a guy to discipline the players hard when they screw up or don’t give enough effort.
I’m sure he does have his favorites, as every coach does, but outside of an isolated and disgruntled player or two,(which exists on every team) I haven’t seen or heard of anything resembling a consensus like this. Sources?
LSU-MD
Low Tide

1. There is no reason to fire CJ right now. You play on friday and having CJ as the head coach give Tulane the best chance to win that game.
2. CJ should be fired by noon on monday the 30th at the absolute latest.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Constantwave wrote:
Have you ever actually seen how CJ is inside closed doors. He is NOT a good person. He's an even worse person than he is a coach. He treats his plays LIKE sh*t. If you're his favorite (aka Badie or Monroe), then you're treated like you're not even a human being. Curtis Johnson is a terrible person. Sooner or later the public will see. He need to go. Bob Toledo has character and was a man of his word, though a bad coach. CJ is a bad coach, but the opposite character of anyone we want here at Tulane. The players who aren't his favorites hate the guy. And that's not just a few either…
Not sure where this came from. I have not heard that. My son is currently a student and close friends with several of the guys on the team, and I’ve spoken to a few also. To use a direct quote of their words, CJ is a “p**sy” who can’t bring himself to discipline them. They see him as almost too nice of a guy to discipline the players hard when they screw up or don’t give enough effort.
I’m sure he does have his favorites, as every coach does, but outside of an isolated and disgruntled player or two,(which exists on every team) I haven’t seen or heard of anything resembling a consensus like this. Sources?
I'm with constant wave here that stuff sounds made up
glennc
Low Tide

If it is Dickson's call of course we are going to keep him. Name me another AD in the country who gives losing coaches extensions. What scares me is that Burke might be a Dickson clone. He hired her.