Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:I hope so but Tulane will probably just replace him with Larry Coker or the Saints DB coach. Too bad we could not get Todd Monken the last go round.
Rob Ryan I guess. Loomis needs to find him a job so the Saints don't have to pay him what he's owed. He can stay in NOLA and watch his son play ball at Newman.
You still get paid out your contract when you get another job. As a matter of fact, that's probably already happened.

I thought Artie F. had a pretty extensive list of candidates at the end of his presentation. We really should be on the hunt like white on rice based upon the number of head coaching vacancies.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:I hope so but Tulane will probably just replace him with Larry Coker or the Saints DB coach. Too bad we could not get Todd Monken the last go round.
Rob Ryan I guess. Loomis needs to find him a job so the Saints don't have to pay him what he's owed. He can stay in NOLA and watch his son play ball at Newman.
You still get paid out your contract when you get another job. As a matter of fact, that's probably already happened.

I thought Artie F. had a pretty extensive list of candidates at the end of his presentation. We really should be on the hunt like white on rice based upon the number of head coaching vacancies.
Not always. Depends on the contract. Sometimes they have a clause if you get another job within a certain period your salary maybe reduced by a certain amount.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/12963 ... ge-buyouts
Check out Jeff Tedford
Jeff Tedford

Former school: California

Date of firing: Nov. 20, 2012

Agent: Tim Younger

Estimated remaining buyout: Seven monthly payments of $198,000

Note: Cal's buyout to Tedford would have been reduced only if he'd accepted another coaching job that paid more than $1.5 million annually.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Willie Fritz is my first choice.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I heard Frank Wilson may be available after next week. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
High Tide

VerdeGeaux wrote:Tulane is a sleeping giant in football. We are in the best recruiting area in the entire nation....our problem is that we need to quit hiring the same type of coaches we've been hiring and expecting different results.

The old school pro style offense etc....those days are gone for mid majors. The only ways those programs can run and compete with the best is you to have elite talent and we don't. Otherwise pro style offense only wins as many wins as talent dictates.

Tulane isnt going to be able to recruit against Big time programs unless we offer something unique. The way the football game is going in college these days is you have to hire one of these offensive gurus.....especially if you are a mid major or have trouble recruiting. You need an advantage.

There are several names on my list, and none of them are washed up sec coaches or any old coach that's been fired 3 times...as some on here keep touting. If I was ad, I'd hire Lincoln Riley yesterday before someone else does. We have to get away from hiring the local yocal with ties to area. We need to think outside the box of we want different results than what we've been getting.
UNTIL TULANE IS WILLING TO PAY 2 MILLION OR MORE, WE WILL CONTINUE TO GET THE ALSO RANS................ITS REALLY SIMPLE, A STRONG DESIRE TO WIN, AND PLENTY OF MONEY FOR A COMPETENT COACHING STAFF. BUT, I'M NOT SURE TULANE WANTS TO DO EITHER...
DrBox
Riptide

posse wrote:
UNTIL TULANE IS WILLING TO PAY 2 MILLION OR MORE, WE WILL CONTINUE TO GET THE ALSO RANS................ITS REALLY SIMPLE, A STRONG DESIRE TO WIN, AND PLENTY OF MONEY FOR A COMPETENT COACHING STAFF. BUT, I'M NOT SURE TULANE WANTS TO DO EITHER...
We'll pay $2 million
JerseyWave wrote:Willie Fritz is my first choice.
Seems to be an excellent coach. The thing is, do we want to run an option offense?
Jonathan
Riptide

Seriously who would want this job? We were turned down by approximately four much better candidates before CJ took it. If we hire anyone good, he needs to negotiate what he wants to succeed and put in his contract with Tulane like Coach Pierce did.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
posse wrote:
We'll pay $2 million
Seems to be an excellent coach. The thing is, do we want to run an option offense?
$2 million is last years money.
Memphis and Houston to pay $3 million to keep their current coaches.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/ ... l?d=mobile
Tulane Class of 1981
LSU-MD
Low Tide

I heard Frank Wilson may be available after next week. Lol
All the LSU assistants have the clause in their contracts that LSU only owes them 6 months of salary if Les Miles is not the head coach. Chavis wanted that clause removed from his extension and Alleva wouldn't take it out so he took his lard butt to the soviet republic of college station. So Wilson will definelty be available.

I think yall should go afte McNeese's head coach, ND's OC, Richmond's coach or USC's interim head coach if USC does not retain him.
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
posse wrote:
We'll pay $2 million
$2 million is last years money.
Memphis and Houston to pay $3 million to keep their current coaches.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/ ... l?d=mobile
Herman and Fuente have proven themselves, we won't need to pay 3 million for unless we're getting a proven coach
ccap05
Surge

Of course Coach Hudspeth may also be available and will be willing to work for less than 3 Mil.
JerseyWave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:I heard Frank Wilson may be available after next week. Lol
We don't need another "Recruiter" as Head Coach. And CJ has failed in that department too!
JerseyWave
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
posse wrote:
We'll pay $2 million
Run whatever offense put points on the scoreboard.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
We don't need another "Recruiter" as Head Coach. And CJ has failed in that department too!
Right. That was a joke
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

ccap05 wrote:Of course Coach Hudspeth may also be available and will be willing to work for less than 3 Mil.
I heard that Hudspeth was very interested last time around but RD wasn't wiling to offer him even what CJ is making now. There are so many good options available now like there was 4 years ago. It's time for Tulane to step up and make the right decision for a change.
DrBox
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:
ccap05 wrote:Of course Coach Hudspeth may also be available and will be willing to work for less than 3 Mil.
I heard that Hudspeth was very interested last time around but RD wasn't wiling to offer him even what CJ is making now. There are so many good options available now like there was 4 years ago. It's time for Tulane to step up and make the right decision for a change.
You can see what happened to Hudspeth- same thing that happens to a lot of coaches. Doesn't have a QB.
So he has to rely on the OL and defense (which he never has had over there) and the talent isn't there. No QB wants to sit for 3 years, so when you have an excellent QB you have a 2 year window (after his sophomore and junior year) in which to make sure you have the replacement recruited. That's one advantage to not running a QB centric offense.

Memphis is going to face the same thing next year. That's when we'll find out how good a coach Fuentes really is.
Wavetime
Swell

The last few OC's at Oklahoma St have been
les Miles
Larry Fedora
Todd Monkin

All very successful HC's
Go after their OC. Fuentes was the OC at TCU, go after theirs. Go after Briles JR. Heck, go after Rich Rods OC. There are many qualified OC''s out there can can make our games fun by putting up points.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We could get Monken . Jeff Brohm is another name to consider. They would run successful offenses and have HC experience.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:We could get Monken . Jeff Brohm is another name to consider. They would run successful offenses and have HC experience.
We could have had Monken 4 years ago. Dickson botched that as well. Gundy wanted him around for their bowl game and Dickson wouldn't wait. Except that CJ coached the Saints through their playoff game.

Recruiter as head coach gets really ugly when that recruiter isn't a particularly effective recruiter.
Bigschtick
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:

Biggest failure of a head coach anywhere! Never saw any coach on the sidelines look more uninvolved or clueless.\
They will hire someone we don't want. Watch!
Last edited by Bigschtick on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wavetime
Swell

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:We could get Monken . Jeff Brohm is another name to consider. They would run successful offenses and have HC experience.
We could have had Monken 4 years ago. Dickson botched that as well. Gundy wanted him around for their bowl game and Dickson wouldn't wait. Except that CJ coached the Saints through their playoff game.

Recruiter as head coach gets really ugly when that recruiter isn't a particularly effective recruiter.
Dr. You may be correct, but I thought he turned us down.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

I stated earlier but we need to go hire Lincoln Riley asap. He is OU oc, been there 1 year under stoops..OU is back in top 10 in his 1st year there. Prior to that he was Asoc HC and OC at ECU with HC Ruffin Mcniel and we all know how good they've done last few years. He comes from both the Bob Stoops coaching tree and Mike Leach Coaching tree. Hes young, and he is hungry and needs to prove himself.

We dont need someone old and not hungry, but just looking for a retirement....such as several candidates people keep touting. Riley has already turned down 2 small D1 HC jobs this fall ie UNT.

Just to refresh everyones memory on who comes from Stoops Coaching tree and Mike Leach Coaching tree.

Mike Leach Coaching tree:
Art Briles - Baylor
Ruffin Mcneil - ECU
Dana Holgerson - WVU
Sonny Dykes - Cal
Kliff Kingsbury - Texas Tech
Lincoln Riley - ?

Bob Stoops:
Kevin Sumlin - A&M
Bo Pelini - Nebraska
Mark Mangino - Kansas
Mike Leach - WSU
Chuck Long - SDSU
Mike Stoops - Arizona
Kevin Wilson - Indiana
Lincoln Riley - ?
DrBox
Riptide

Briles and Sumlin stand out. Don't see a whole lot of others to get excited about.

My list off the top of my head:
Dino Babers (listen to the last minute of this - 9 min mark -stark contrast from the whining about the schedule being too tough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzUt2JLNio )
Willie Fritz
Jeff Brohm
Todd Monken (discount him because he's doing it with uber transfers; we need transfers and the lack of them the last 2 years has hurt, but 14 is excessive).
Worry about recruiting with all sunbelt coaches. They recruit waters we can't touch.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

Tom Herman annual salary at UH is 1.35$MM.
He was Ohio St OC.

SMU HC Chad Morris salary is 1.3 $MM
He was Clemson OC

As shown above, these schools are all hiring the Offensive GURUs in college football. Thats what we need to go get if we want to compete in this day and age.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

I've seen people tout the TCU OC...well TCU is co coordinated with Doug Meachem and Sonny Cumbie. Sonny Cumbie is from Kliff Kingsbury TTU coaching tree and Cumbie is not ready for a big time HC job yet, but he might be in 5 years or so maybe. Meachem is just following Cumbies lead in that offense and isn't the brains.

Ive seen people tout kendall briles from baylor on here a couple of times, and let me be the 1st to tell......HELL NO lol! Kendall is definitely not ready and is about 10 years behind TCU OC cumbie. Kendall Briles couldnt get a 6A Houston HC job if wanted one and I'm being dead serious. His reputation is coaching circles is as bad as it gets and hes extremely immature and acts like hes still in HS.

Also Kendall Briles has never coached anywhere without his daddy holding his hand and even then hes only been the baylor OC 1 year, and we all know hes not the one calling the plays there. He has had multiple recruiting violations already this year, and his reputation in Texas along with Arts is pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if you googled "snake in the grass", that both briles father and son picture wouldnt pop up!

The A&M OC, well lets just say that each year that passes at A&M without Kliff Kingsbury as the OC, A&M gets worse and worse on offense and this year they cant get the ball across the 50.