Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

OUG wrote:HOLD ON!!!!

I'm getting conflicting reports.

Jonathan is telling me that we have hired Doug Meacham, and is very upset that his post keeps getting deleted.
And what happened to Larry Coker? greenphantom had me all pumped up. :goofy: :goofy:

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:Sounds like a solid hire. I highly doubt Tulane runs the triple option, but will likely run a lot. Not a bad idea given the caliber of running backs Tulane have coming back.
I'm thinking that as well. I'd consider him a "safe" hire. Low risk for TD's first big coaching decision as AD. He wanted a proven winner and Fritz checks that box.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Will any moderator with the power to do so please merge this thread into the coaching search thread? I'll admit to being wrong by starting it. Coach Fritz is a winner, and I want him to feel welcome (if this plays out.) I regret starting it as a knee jerk reaction.

Roll, Willie, Roll!
Roll Wave!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

every lazy azz on Tulanes squad better get in the weight room ...Fritz is not CJ and he does not have to play you to appease some high school coach in NOLA...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

I hope the inability to bring in wholesale JUCOs doesn't prove to be a problem for Coach Fritz.
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Forever TU wrote:I dunno. Would rather a guy with more FBS experience. AAC defenses would go ham against the read. Am I wrong?
Yea, you're wrong. AAC defenses are terrible. The two best offenses in the conference run a bunch of read option
I am sure Tanner will adjust accordingly
I'm not. I don't think Tanner is mobile enough to run the read/option.
God Bless Everyone!
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:every lazy azz on Tulanes squad better get in the weight room ...Fritz is not CJ and he does not have to play you to appease some high school coach in NOLA...
+1000 "Hey, Coach Willie", NOT!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:I hope the inability to bring in wholesale JUCOs doesn't prove to be a problem for Coach Fritz.
I thought of that as well. I believe he had 31 JC's on his roster. Hopefully Tulane cuts out it's "self imposed" rules on JC's.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If he ever needs a lot of jucos, its going to be in the first couple years.
OUG
Riptide

The JC thing isn't a rule, it's that there aren't classes at Tulane that correspond to the courses that a lot of these JC kids are taking.

At state schools, they have processes for accommodating JC student transfers, because the state university system is set up to function that way. Tulane doesn't have that. None of our peers take JC's either. Northwestern, Duke, hell, I'm not even sure TCU takes JCs.

He can win here. I'm not concerned about the JC thing. If anything I believe he will have more talent available to him immediately than he did at GA Southern.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The other thing to note is that WF took over GSU as they were moving from FCS to FBS. I have no idea how many returning players he had, but he clearly saw that they needed to beef up with more mature JUCO players to be competitive right away. It doesn't mean he cannot win without them, but it may take a year or two longer.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:The JC thing isn't a rule, it's that there aren't classes at Tulane that correspond to the courses that a lot of these JC kids are taking.

At state schools, they have processes for accommodating JC student transfers, because the state university system is set up to function that way. Tulane doesn't have that. None of our peers take JC's either. Northwestern, Duke, hell, I'm not even sure TCU takes JCs.

He can win here. I'm not concerned about the JC thing. If anything I believe he will have more talent available to him immediately than he did at GA Southern.
A couple of things I heard. You can't transfer unless you could have been accepted as a freshman here first. Second if the course isn't available at Tulane its not acceptable. Even if you are transferring from Harvard. That's ridiculous.
I don't want to derail the thread with JC's so that's all I'll say on it.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Forever TU wrote:I dunno. Would rather a guy with more FBS experience. AAC defenses would go ham against the read. Am I wrong?
Yea, you're wrong. AAC defenses are terrible. The two best offenses in the conference run a bunch of read option
AJ...I was being facetious .... Tanner is not mobile enuff to run the "read" offense, mush less the read option

note to all mobile QB's looking to transfer, Tulane is now taking applications
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:every lazy azz on Tulanes squad better get in the weight room ...Fritz is not CJ and he does not have to play you to appease some high school coach in NOLA...
...and I hope that Fritz doesn't have to honor any recruit that the CJ regime recruited. We can't afford a repeat of that disaster four years ago. Hopefully without Tricky and Scowen involved, we'll get some common sense decisions.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:The other thing to note is that WF took over GSU as they were moving from FCS to FBS. I have no idea how many returning players he had, but he clearly saw that they needed to beef up with more mature JUCO players to be competitive right away. It doesn't mean he cannot win without them, but it may take a year or two longer.
Remember that they were also transitioning to FBS.

FCS Football is 63 scholarships.

FBS is 85 scholarships.

Occam's razor is that he needed 22 additional players, and needed them right away.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
AJ...I was being facetious .... Tanner is not mobile enuff to run the "read" offense, mush less the read option

Wrong! Fritz is quoted as saying he doesn't need an athletic QB to run his offense. Lee is more than athletic enough to handle it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Wrong! Fritz is quoted as saying he doesn't need an athletic QB to run his offense. Lee is more than athletic enough to handle it.
Believe what U want... but I do not think Tanner will be the starting QB, the last week end in August, if the Spread Read Option is installed....the kid is too slow footed ...now if he was the second coming of Terrance Jones...there may be a possibility
posse
High Tide

"
tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:The JC thing isn't a rule, it's that there aren't classes at Tulane that correspond to the courses that a lot of these JC kids are taking.

A couple of things I heard. You can't transfer unless you could have been accepted as a freshman here first. Second if the course isn't available at Tulane its not acceptable. Even if you are transferring from Harvard. That's ridiculous.
"

WOULD THIS PROBLEM BE SOLVED IF TULANE IMPLEMENTED A PE MAJOR? WITH FRITZ CONNECTIONS WITH JC PROGRAMS, THERE IS NO REASON TO CONTINUE OUR RIDICULOUS JC POLICY. HE CAN SPEED UP THE WINNING PROCESS BY TWO YEARS IF JC ALLOWED....I BELIEVE HE PLAYED IN TWO JC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES?
HOPEFULLY NEW AD DANNON AND NEW HC FRITZ CAN CONVINCE PRES FITTS AND THE BOA ATHLETIC COMMITTEE TO MAKE THE NECESSARY CHANGES. NO MORE HALF IN MODELS.....
OUG
Riptide

Huge opportunity for Abraham to come in and play immediately if he enrolls here in the Spring. Every QB will be learning the offense at the same time.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Theres a misconception, or at least this thread includes posts that make the reader believe you cannot get into Tulane from a Junior College. What about Nick Montana? What about the dozens of others that have done so? We will allow it, just 20 of them in a year.
posse
High Tide

DfromCT wrote:Theres a misconception, or at least this thread includes posts that make the reader believe you cannot get into Tulane from a Junior College. What about Nick Montana? What about the dozens of others that have done so? We will allow it, just 20 of them in a year.

I'll believe it when the AD and Head Coach actually "SAYS IT'S TRUE". We had it back in the late 70's and early 80's, and Wally English abused it, and Tulane stopped it.
dpm wave
Swell

From Twitter:

Nathan Deen
‏@NathanDeenSMN
Fritz's contract with Georgia Southern states his buyout drops from $800,000 to $100,00 because Brooks Keel left the school this year
winwave
Top of the WAVE

posse wrote:"
tpstulane wrote:

"

WOULD THIS PROBLEM BE SOLVED IF TULANE IMPLEMENTED A PE MAJOR? WITH FRITZ CONNECTIONS WITH JC PROGRAMS, THERE IS NO REASON TO CONTINUE OUR RIDICULOUS JC POLICY. HE CAN SPEED UP THE WINNING PROCESS BY TWO YEARS IF JC ALLOWED....I BELIEVE HE PLAYED IN TWO JC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES?
HOPEFULLY NEW AD DANNON AND NEW HC FRITZ CAN CONVINCE PRES FITTS AND THE BOA ATHLETIC COMMITTEE TO MAKE THE NECESSARY CHANGES. NO MORE HALF IN MODELS.....
Tulane has a PE major. In this day and age it's called Health and Wellness.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Believe what U want... but I do not think Tanner will be the starting QB, the last week end in August, if the Spread Read Option is installed....the kid is too slow footed ...now if he was the second coming of Terrance Jones...there may be a possibility
Wrong again. He's not slow footed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Theres a misconception, or at least this thread includes posts that make the reader believe you cannot get into Tulane from a Junior College. What about Nick Montana? What about the dozens of others that have done so? We will allow it, just 20 of them in a year.
Yes they allow JC's but the self imposed rules make it such that only a rare few can qualify. It really is something they should look at. Yes Walley English ruined that for us.
Tulane Class of 1981