Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:... Tulane also needs to re-open in a big way the state of Florida and again some parts of Texas
To me, we have no competitive advantage in Texas. There are 4 private schools there. Now Scelfo pulled 2 Texas top 100 players (something that would be unheard of today), both out off DFW. I would think the competition would be a little less in Houston, but I don't know.
Everyone under the sun recruits Florida.
That's why I look at MW and California. There are 3 private schools west of the Rockies. 2 are powers so they won't affect us; the third, BYU, is a niche school. IN the MW there are 2 private schools. ONe is a power, and the 2nd, Northwestern, is a school on whose level we should basically recruit. That's one school that clones us in those 2 large areas. DFW itself has 3.
Doc.... Just look at the sheer number of players that Texas' high school produce.... hell without the state of Texas supplying players, OU and Okie State would be Kansas, or worse Tulane !!!...there are many schools that recruit the state...why do you think Navy is in the western division of the AAC ?... I have zero issue with California, I am not to sure what mid-west states you are talking about, so I cannot comment on the MW take
Our success in recruiting the mid west in the mid to late seventies came directly as a result of Larry Smith's connections to Eastern Ohio & Western PA. I think we can cherry pick the Northeast, Mid West & West Coast to supplement but our focus has to be LA, FLA, GA, MS & East TX.

ExileWave
Surge

Interesting article on coaching changes this year..
http://www.campusrush.com/college-footb ... 34134.html

This paragraph indicates what we will be up against if CJ is fired...

"And the biggest buzz in this coaching carousel is the secondary market. Schools that lose coaches over the coming weeks will face a market that should be bereft of quality candidates. (And let's not be naïve enough to think that the NFL won't pluck a coach or two from college as well.) For example, think about Florida State, which could lose Fisher after no one thought the job could open when the year began. "

Let the games begin....hopefully. It is going to be challenging and VERY EXPENSIVE to hire a quality head coach.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:If Burke ends up being our new AD, I'd expect Dino from BG
http://www.eiupanthers.com/news/2011/12 ... 15052.aspx

Wouldn't be a bad hire, actually.
ntro

I can see and hear the intro to the coach's show now... "Welcome Tulane fan's to the "Bab's and Baber's show"... I think there are 11 jobs open now, with a few more to surface in the next week or so...the number of quality coach's available are going to be very slim, since each opening is light years better than what Tulane can offer, except for maybe the ULM job, and I am not too sure about that, at least you get to hang with the Duck Dynasty folks !!! ..Tulane will have to uncover one hell of a quality coach that no one has on the radar and then hope he can actually get assistants that want to work for him
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It does appear Burke will be the AD so of course you have to think she'll go after Babers. He may get P5 offers. Even if they are not power P5's the money and prestige is such that we won't get him. However, he is 55 and that may cut him out so we have a good chance w/him. Since all this became apparent BG has been on TV a few times. They do run the no huddle spread that we so desperately need to run to take advantage of the talent we can recruit here. That's very encouraging. He also appears to be very driven. Again that is much needed here. I have always said to be successful we need someone who is innovative on offense and is a hard ass. He fits the bill.

On top of all that he has ties to Texas for recruiting purposes. He also has coached in the Midwest. Many of us have wanted to see us recruit linemen from there and this would open that back up.

Let's hope we get lucky.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ExileWave
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:
msdos wrote:If Burke ends up being our new AD, I'd expect Dino from BG

ntro

I can see and hear the intro to the coach's show now... "Welcome Tulane fan's to the "Bab's and Baber's show"... I think there are 11 jobs open now, with a few more to surface in the next week or so...the number of quality coach's available are going to be very slim, since each opening is light years better than what Tulane can offer, except for maybe the ULM job, and I am not too sure about that, at least you get to hang with the Duck Dynasty folks !!! ..Tulane will have to uncover one hell of a quality coach that no one has on the radar and then hope he can actually get assistants that want to work for him
That will be 11 P5 jobs open according to the article, plus all the others like Tulane. The competition will be fierce.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

New UCF AD Danny White already interviewing potential coaches.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:New UCF AD Danny White already interviewing potential coaches.
:headbash: :headbash:
LSU-MD
Low Tide

If Burke ends up being our new AD, I'd expect Dino from BG

Dino would be a great hire for Tulane, but he is getting linked to some of the open P5 jobs and I just don't think Tulane is where he is headed. However you should definetly make a run at him.

I don't see why yall hate Burke. She has a track record of hiring good coaches and transparency. Yall are so scared of the Cowen stink that you are not even considering her.
Ruski
Swell

Mizzou defensive co-ordinator says "I'm going to be a head coach. Don't know when or where, but it's going to happen."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... 7aa9d.html

He's the type of candidate that our AD should be recruiting and attacking NOW! Not after all the other schools have picked over everything. He's young and wants his big break. He left Mizzou to go to Memphis with Fuentes because he thought he should be in charge. Last year his Memphis D was #5 in the country. This year Mizzou is #7.

He has no connection to Tulane or the area, not good for recruiting, but honestly at this point if he is a hard worker I think that's only a plus:

"Look kid I want you to forget everything you know about Tulane football because I have never been a part of that legacy, instead we're going to create our own legacy"
DrBox
Riptide

LSU-MD wrote:

Dino would be a great hire for Tulane, but he is getting linked to some of the open P5 jobs and I just don't think Tulane is where he is headed. However you should definetly make a run at him.

I don't see why yall hate Burke. She has a track record of hiring good coaches and transparency. Yall are so scared of the Cowen stink that you are not even considering her.
I don't hate her. I hear a lot of good things about her. I've listened to some of her press conferences. Wickstrom and Sidwell scare me far worse.
But that scare of Burke because of Cowen ties is understandable.
I think we have a decent shot at Babers. He has a shot at some dead end P5 jobs. We may be able to compete with those.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Same thing would apply at Tulane.

Note, however the first sentence of the article. "His name may or may not be on Mark Coyle's list of head-coaching candidates, but Ed Orgeron would be considered something of a people's choice guy to replace the dismissed Scott Shafer" The article is pure speculation. http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index. ... _high.html

Ole Miss was a mess under Orgeron. He's probably learned a lot, though.

Babers would be a fantastic hire. I'd put Orgeron behind him, Fritz, Brohm and others.
Orgeron would be a homerun hire by Tulane. He is a great recruiter and has ties to louisiana and all over the US. He has worked at USC and Syracuse so he knows about dealing with stubborn admission departments. Plus I remember attending Ole Miss football camps when he was the hc and that man could convince a New Orleanian to be sober on mardi gras. He is that good, give him 18 months and he could charm the admissions department into more athletic friendly policies. He is also the exact opposite of CJ and his energetic attitude is contagious. Pair Orgeron with a young OC that runs a more up tempo offense and by the 2018 season you will be AAC champs.

Heck if LSU can't get Jimbo or Chip Kelly then I want Coach O at LSU.
ideal1965
Ripple

Davie would be a very good hire. Changed the offense there that would accommodate the quality of athletes they were able to bring in. Tulane would actually give him the ability to attract better athletes, and the fact that he HC'd a major private university is huge (notre dame).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
LSU-MD wrote:

I don't hate her. I hear a lot of good things about her. I've listened to some of her press conferences. Wickstrom and Sidwell scare me far worse.
But that scare of Burke because of Cowen ties is understandable.
I think we have a decent shot at Babers. He has a shot at some dead end P5 jobs. We may be able to compete with those.
Well stated.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

I mentioned this coach O video a few times, but I never could find it. However I finally found it. Coach O starts speaking @ the 29minute mark. If you want to hear some great stories and you have an hour give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXymV_H7tCQ
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Being said elsewhere that Babers is interviewing at UCF.
JerseyWave
Riptide

winwave wrote:Being said elsewhere that Babers is interviewing at UCF.
UCF hired the AD that Tulane should have been talking to and now they are going after the coach who would be a great fit at Tulane. Babers is climbing the ladder very quickly, two years at Eastern Illinois, two years at Bowling Green then on to the next job. Guys like that eventually take a big fall. I would love get a coach like Babers, but don't expect him to stick around too long, no loyalty from this guy. It has to become difficult to sell yourself to recruits when they look at the coache's career trajectory. " If I sign with Coach A, he won't be there to coach me"

Tulane never operates with a sense of urgency. The best Coaching candidates will be gone by the time Tulane gets its act together.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Being said elsewhere that Babers is interviewing at UCF.
No surprise there. Danny White will absolutely hire the best available coach in the country and have UCF in a playoff bowl. Shame on Tulane that he was not named our new AD in Sept. We'd have a new coach already. Tulane still clueless as to how to run a successful athletic dept. Definitely no urgency.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Orgeron likely heading back to Syracuse.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/ ... obile_home
"My days at Syracuse were fantastic," Orgeron told the website. "I learned a lot under Coach (Paul) Pasqualoni. I know Coach (Dick) MacPherson and a lot of ex-players and a lot of players who are there now.

"I have a lot of respect for Syracuse. Great private school, great education, great tradition. So, obviously, my interest would be very high. I'd be highly interested in getting that job. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to go back there."
A few articles regarding the Syracuse job...
hoicesttp://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.s ... iver_index

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index. ... iver_index
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

So who is the Greeniebacker that told Fletcher Mackel that Rob Ryan is on Burkes short list.
Robert1969
Riptide

DrBox wrote:So who is the Greeniebacker that told Fletcher Mackel that Rob Ryan is on Burkes short list.
Would we even want Rob Ryan?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:
DrBox wrote:So who is the Greeniebacker that told Fletcher Mackel that Rob Ryan is on Burkes short list.
FM pulling your chain.
Tulane Class of 1981
ExileWave
Surge

Robert1969 wrote:
More proof that Tulane athletics is a CLOWN SHOW.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Robert1969 wrote:
Just what Tulane needs, another undisciplined moron... these reeks of another Benson contract buy out / donation with a job at Tulane attached
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Loomis and Benson hard at work.
Rob Ryan name at Tulane now going national
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... nts-112515
Tulane Class of 1981
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Loomis and Benson hard at work.
Rob Ryan name at Tulane now going national
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... nts-112515
This one is not going to happen