Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wave97
Swell

Ed Orgeron will attract a first rate young OC & offensive staff. Keep Lionel, Jason & Kwahn on the defensive staff. Ed Orgeron is not married to an offensive scheme. He'll bring in and empower talented young coaches while leading the recruiting effort for the best talent in Louisiana, the Region & the Nation. Tulane can be sold nationally to prospective athletes as easily as it is sold to prospective regular students; Roch Hontas, Rodney Holman, Don Maggs, Jim Boyle, Mike McKay, Ken Karcher, George Geishauser, James Campen, Ron Tilton, Sean King, Dennis O'Sullivan et al.
This can be turned around quickly, we currently have sufficient talent to win in the AAC.

COChip
Low Tide

DrBox wrote:Briles and Sumlin stand out. Don't see a whole lot of others to get excited about.

My list off the top of my head:
Dino Babers (listen to the last minute of this - 9 min mark -stark contrast from the whining about the schedule being too tough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzUt2JLNio )
Willie Fritz
Jeff Brohm
Todd Monken (discount him because he's doing it with uber transfers; we need transfers and the lack of them the last 2 years has hurt, but 14 is excessive).
Worry about recruiting with all sunbelt coaches. They recruit waters we can't touch.
Monken has had to use transfers and JUCOS to get USM back to winning ASAP......he's not getting the Tulane 5-year plan of losing. He's also starting to get better HS recruits now. He will have his QB back next year and will win big and bolt to a P5 like Fedora.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

How about someone from Dukes staff? They put up big numbers. Okie state, TCU, Baylor and Houston always seem to have a high flying offense. What about Major apple White? Guy is a winner and from BR.
green4life
Low Tide

Although I would really like a successful head coach, it would not at all surprise me if we got....
Tracy Buckhannon Linebackers Coach of USA
http://www.usajaguars.com/coaches.aspx? ... h=football

Mark Hutson Assoc Head Coach Eastern Illinois
http://www.eiupanthers.com/coaches.aspx ... h=football

Aaron Fletcher, Corner backs coach - Tulsa
http://tulsahurricane.com/coaches.aspx? ... h=football

It's nice to have lofty ambitions and expectations, but unless the Hiring authority has similar aspirations, we will get get the next data point on the "negative slope" of TU Head Coaches.

May Coach Saban will tell Scott Cochran to apply and take the job...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDMDXHdWHs
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
Jonathan
Riptide

Rob Ryan our next head coach when CJ is fired tomorrow.
RobertM320
Green Wave

green4life wrote:Although I would really like a successful head coach, it would not at all surprise me if we got....

It's nice to have lofty ambitions and expectations, but unless the Hiring authority has similar aspirations, we will get get the next data point on the "negative slope" of TU Head Coaches.

Yeah, saw the Hutson show in 2011. Not interested in a rerun.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

green4life wrote:Although I would really like a successful head coach, it would not at all surprise me if we got....

Mark Hutson?!?!?!

You know he was our interim coach in 2011 and he was in farther over his head than CJ. Which is hard to fathom.
Wave QB
Swell

wave97 wrote:Ed Orgeron will attract a first rate young OC & offensive staff. Keep Lionel, Jason & Kwahn on the defensive staff. Ed Orgeron is not married to an offensive scheme. He'll bring in and empower talented young coaches while leading the recruiting effort for the best talent in Louisiana, the Region & the Nation. Tulane can be sold nationally to prospective athletes as easily as it is sold to prospective regular students; Roch Hontas, Rodney Holman, Don Maggs, Jim Boyle, Mike McKay, Ken Karcher, George Geishauser, James Campen, Ron Tilton, Sean King, Dennis O'Sullivan et al.
This can be turned around quickly, we currently have sufficient talent to win in the AAC.
I believe that Ed Orgeron would take the Tulane job. One of my best sources who knows him very well has confirmed this to me.
Also, I believed that Mike Haywood would have been a great fit in 2012. I watched what he did in Miami Ohio with nothing to work with. That man would have brought some much needed toughness to Tulane football.

There are a few other guys out there who I would like to see with the job, but we need to hire a head coach with SEC, Big 12, or AAC experience at this point. I am not interested in hiring a young gun who will leave us for the first P5 opportunity or an busted coordinator/great recruiter experiment that goes wrong. We need a HC with some wear and tear. After what we saw waiting for tickets to open Yulman vs Georgia Tech, there is no doubt in my mind that bringing in wisdom&experience isn't the way to go. We need a new buzz around New Orleans. The city is waiting for a reason to support Tulane.

Mike Sherman, Phillip Fulmer, Terry Bowden, Ed Orgeron, Randy Shannon, Paul Rhodes, Derek Dooley and Will Muschamp should all be on our search list. All of these guys have been there and done that and have what it takes to make people talk about Tulane football. We need experience in order to move into the right direction. No more experiments!
sader24
Tsunami

Bob Toledo had experience. I want a young guy that can freakin coach and wants to move on to bigger and better things. It means he's hungry to win and win now which is what we need.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
There are a few other guys out there who I would like to see with the job, but we need to hire a head coach with SEC, Big 12, or AAC experience at this point. I am not interested in hiring a young gun who will leave us for the first P5 opportunity or an busted coordinator/great recruiter experiment that goes wrong. We need a HC with some wear and tear. After what we saw waiting for tickets to open Yulman vs Georgia Tech, there is no doubt in my mind that bringing in wisdom&experience isn't the way to go. We need a new buzz around New Orleans. The city is waiting for a reason to support Tulane.

Mike Sherman, Phillip Fulmer, Terry Bowden, Ed Orgeron, Randy Shannon, Paul Rhodes, Derek Dooley and Will Muschamp should all be on our search list. All of these guys have been there and done that and have what it takes to make people talk about Tulane football. We need experience in order to move into the right direction. No more experiments!
You're not paying attention then. Look at the the two best coaches in this conference, they will be leaving for P5 jobs soon. Toledo had wear and tear. Take the best coach regardless of whether or not he will stay long term
sader24
Tsunami

That's a horrendous list of failed Head Coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HIRE THE BEST COACH. IF THEY LEAVE ON THEIR OWN THEY WILL HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL HERE.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

sader24 wrote:That's a horrendous list of failed Head Coaches.
+1 that must be a joke. Most listed did not have any success at all even in their prime. The ones that did have success are far removed from the game.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Hearing rumors that if Sumlin loses to LSU on sat then he could be out at A&M. Is Tulane willing to pony up the $$$ for his swagcopter?
wave97
Swell

All we need is a bright competent OC & offensive staff & a HC with enough sense to leave them alone. Ed Orgeron IMHO, has matured a great deal since his days in Oxford. There was an internal revolt among the players at USC for not naming him the HC. Coach Orgeron can identify and attract a stellar offensive staff and recruit like no human being walking the planet. BTW: You want to talk about selling the program to the citizenry of GNO?

Hiring a young offensive wonk as head coach is not necessarily the solution as I see it. The combined approach of a potent & creative offense combined with a bad a$$, throwing o-lineman around like rag dolls defensive front, with LB's & DB's who can man up and take down anything coming their way is the approach that Ed Orgeron can best execute. We need Ed, an OC & O-Staff & all will be right.
Last edited by wave97 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
puffy
Surge

Jeff Brohm of WKU

Skip Holtz, LaTech

Dino Babers, Bowling Green
Bearwave
High Tide

Since Rich Rod was passed over for Scelfo the coaching has gone on a steady freefall. I don't see anything to make me think the hiring this time will be any different. Having a nice little Stadium with no practice facilities, academic handcuffs on the program, and little fan/community support won't attract a big time candidate. The best scenario is to get a young OC who is real ambitious and energetic to hopefully breathe life back into the program.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
Jaxwave
Swell

I'm afraid the word is out all over Division I about our lack of real commitment to win and we really can't attract a coach even at the level of Brohm, Holtz and Babers. Holtz maybe as I don't think his star is that bright, but the other two may wait for something better and the perception is out there that just about anything is better than Tulane at the moment. It will take a monumental sales job by the new AD to generate the proper level of interest. Of course, that choice of AD is the first sign of the direction Tulane WANTS to go in.
DrBox
Riptide

No way Holtz
Jaxwave
Swell

I agree.
puffy
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:I'm afraid the word is out all over Division I about our lack of real commitment to win and we really can't attract a coach even at the level of Brohm, Holtz and Babers. Holtz maybe as I don't think his star is that bright, but the other two may wait for something better and the perception is out there that just about anything is better than Tulane at the moment. It will take a monumental sales job by the new AD to generate the proper level of interest. Of course, that choice of AD is the first sign of the direction Tulane WANTS to go in.
It all depends on who Tulane has to compete for this offseason for head coaches. Mark Stoops of UK is ranked ahead of CCJ on the coaching hotseat website (and CCJ should be the unquestioned #1 ranked coach on that list), so I can see Brohm getting consideration for that job. I don't think Holtz at this point would get serious P5 consideration, plus his dad once took this job (a long time ago) so perhaps Tulane gets their Holtz 40+ years later :lol: . Babers will be 55 next year, so he can certainly wait for a better job but the clock is ticking.

Despite the current clustermuck that is Tulane football, I still believe that it's a better job today than it was 17 years ago. I'm perfectly fine with this job being viewed as a stepping stone; just win and leave it better than when you found it.
DrBox
Riptide

The competition for a coach will be fierce because of all of the non power schools in power conferences looking for coaches. They are looking at the same coaches we're looking at....except that they may not take a sunbelt coach.
So we have to move quickly for sure.

Babers will get a P5 offer; P5s will hire MAC coaches.
But it won't be from a power school.

Thus, if we move quickly and throw $2 mill in front of him, we'd have a chance.
Last edited by DrBox on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puffy
Surge

I agree that if Tulane wants to hire a current head coach, they'll have to choose from the Sunbelt, MAC or FCS.

They can try the coordinator route, but this job isn't for the inexperienced.

Please stay away from the career position coach.
Fat Harry
Low Tide

Would Les Miles be interested in staying in Louisiana?
ExileWave
Surge

While all of the speculation and naming coaches we would like to see is fun, the fact remains the we have a Head Coach- CJ. Until he is fired (which I think is 50-50 at best), we are beating our keyboards for self satisfaction.

As Jaxwave stated in a post- the AD hire will tell us if real change is possible. Until that happens, why would any rising or established coach consider Tulane? The word is out about the school attitude toward athletic success and what it takes. Orgeron is not the answer- too Cajun for Tulane's elitist attitude and he has not exactly been a great success at LSU. Plus USC didn't think he was the man.

65 years of failure and futility. That ship will be hard to turn. We have CUSA talent at best - CJ said that is what he recruited. Good players don't miss tackles, commit stupid penalties, screw up special teams, and drop passes like we have seen for 4 years. Do we have better players? Yes. Are the the type to compete and win in AAC or lower P5 games? I don't think so. Just my unprofessional opinion.

It is obvious that Tulane and the BOA don't give a flip about what fans or the few alumni who give a damn want regarding athletics. Look at the makeup of the search committee for AD. Not even a Dr. Roch Hontas, Dr.Jaime Garza, Steve Foley, Shaun King or Bobby Duhon involved. UH and Memphis are ready to pay their coaches $3MM to stay- and chances are Herman will bolt Houston after 1 year. The game has changed and we are still trying to find the right playground and decide if we want to play.