Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote:Why would anybody want to come here!
Very good point. Sad but true.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Sonny Cumbie, Frank Wilson, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis, Mike Yurcich, Todd Orlando, and Brent Venables.
Love to see Lane here.
Hiring Lane would be like hiring Harvey Weinstein.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Sonny Cumbie, Frank Wilson, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis, Mike Yurcich, Todd Orlando, and Brent Venables.
Love to see Lane here.
Hiring Lane would be like hiring Harvey Weinstein.
A lot of baggage for sure. :cry:
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

We already have the reputation of a career killer, even though that's not really true. Good coaches have always won here. We just never hire any. Fritz losing looks bad because he is so well respected coming in. Warranted or not, he's never been a loser until it said Tulane across his chest. We NEED Willie to figure this out. Nobody worth a f*** would want it anyway, so pile on top of that the possibility of getting canned in less than 2 seasons? It's just not plausible for Tulane. Dangerous ground. Figure it out or get help, willie.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:We already have the reputation of a career killer, even though that's not really true. Good coaches have always won here. We just never hire any. Fritz losing looks bad because he is so well respected coming in. Warranted or not, he's never been a loser until it said Tulane across his chest. We NEED Willie to figure this out. Nobody worth a f*** would want it anyway, so pile on top of that the possibility of getting canned in less than 2 seasons? It's just not plausible for Tulane. Dangerous ground. Figure it out or get help, willie.
You know in two years or less if it’s going to work. Waiting 4-5 years like Tulane always does is insane. You go broke on Wall St holding a loser 4-5 years. No different here. Ask yourself how many years did Bowden and RR need?
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:We already have the reputation of a career killer, even though that's not really true. Good coaches have always won here. We just never hire any. Fritz losing looks bad because he is so well respected coming in. Warranted or not, he's never been a loser until it said Tulane across his chest. We NEED Willie to figure this out. Nobody worth a f*** would want it anyway, so pile on top of that the possibility of getting canned in less than 2 seasons? It's just not plausible for Tulane. Dangerous ground. Figure it out or get help, willie.
You know in two years or less if it’s going to work. Waiting 4-5 years like Tulane always does is insane. You go broke on Wall St holding a loser 4-5 years. No different here. Ask yourself how many years did Bowden and RR need?
Bowden was an anomaly. I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do believe times have changed even since 98. Tulane sat on its ass too long and I'm not convinced it can be saved , much less find somebody worth a shit and stupid enough to try it out. If you're winning at fiu or utsa, you would have to be an absolute idiot to make a lateral move (to be kind) to come here, fail then you're coaching defensive backs at country day.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Bowden was an anomaly. I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do believe times have changed even since 98. Tulane sat on its ass too long and I'm not convinced it can be saved , much less find somebody worth a sh*t and stupid enough to try it out. If you're winning at fiu or utsa, you would have to be an absolute idiot to make a lateral move (to be kind) to come here, fail then you're coaching defensive backs at country day.
No. Bowden was a great hire. You know you said that to yourself when we got him. Now I agree things today are much different.
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

Yeah I did . I didn't know he was gonna go 12 and f'n 0. Lol
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:Yeah I did . I didn't know he was gonna go 12 and f'n 0. Lol
:mrgreen: yea me neither!!! But boy it was great!!!
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Galvez you correctly understand the conundrum that we are. Coach Fritz is our best hope BECAUSE anyone else would be a downgrade; coaches are afraid of us, as in how many turned us down before the Toledo and Johnson hires....

If Coach Fritz could hire a recruiter better than he is that would be a huge plus....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Yeah I did . I didn't know he was gonna go 12 and f'n 0. Lol
:mrgreen: yea me neither!!! But boy it was great!!!
Cowen didn’t like it because it took the spotlight off him.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
Galvez you correctly understand the conundrum that we are. Coach Fritz is our best hope BECAUSE anyone else would be a downgrade; coaches are afraid of us, as in how many turned us down before the Toledo and Johnson hires....

If Coach Fritz could hire a recruiter better than he is that would be a huge plus....
Low bar syndrome from being a long time Tulane fan. Cowen mentality.
msdos
Swell

As much as I'd like to see Fritz gone tomorrow, and for today's game to be the last time I see that awful offense, I can't say that I'd be thrilled with Dannen failing on a 4th coach hire.
Show Me
Tsunami

msdos wrote:As much as I'd like to see Fritz gone tomorrow, and for today's game to be the last time I see that awful offense, I can't say that I'd be thrilled with Dannen failing on a 4th coach hire.
Yea. Good point. I hadn’t thought of that. You pass up an alum like Andy C who can you hire?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
msdos wrote:As much as I'd like to see Fritz gone tomorrow, and for today's game to be the last time I see that awful offense, I can't say that I'd be thrilled with Dannen failing on a 4th coach hire.
Yea. Good point. I hadn’t thought of that. You pass up an alum like Andy C who can you hire?
Low bar syndrome....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Low bar syndrome....
:lol: you got me!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The current Nicholls St coach winning at that sh1t hole. The same can be done here.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Lol. Willie ain't goin no where for a while.

Knute Rockne couldnt win here.
He applied for the job...but was told not to come...that said,,,WF will be here for at least two years
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wavemania
Surge

tpstulane wrote:The current Nicholls St coach winning at that sh1t hole. The same can be done here.
That's because he recruited a certain QB that knows what it takes to win and has killer mentallity that wasn't even given a sniff by this coach. Would be a perfect fit for this crappy offense Tulane runs.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
Pepper wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Lol. Willie ain't goin no where for a while.

Knute Rockne couldnt win here.
He applied for the job...but was told not to come...that said,,,WF will be here for at least two years
Difference is back then we were a top program and hired a great coach anyway.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Lane would be interesting.
Me too. I edited the initial post to add Iowa State‘s and TCU’s defensive coordinators since they have more than earned consideration.
Great.
I’m looking forward to winwave and sader’s picks.
RICHROD!!! Spend the endowment on him it will be the best investment Tulane ever made.

Unfortunately we could list all the hot names we want but none of them are coming. Things were different back in the late 60's and the late 70's when we were able to hire Pittman and then Smith. We played in a real stadium. Support facilities weren't that big a deal then. We had only been losing a couple of decades. Things had changed when we got TB/RR. We were now 4 decades in on losing and support facilities had begun to matter. You have to admit we were lucky. Nobody had hired TB b/c they all saw him as just getting by on his name. . He was desperate to get a HC job. Now 6 decades in on the losing and facilities matter more than ever. Our facilities suck. No good coach is going to come here. They know they can't recruit to HS facilities.

We'll have to get lucky. The only people who would want this job are people like Frank Wlson, Frank Scelfo or maybe a Terry Bowden. Not confident any of them could get it done.

The reason there's a chance Dunleavy works out is he came from the highest level down to us. He came b/c no one was hiring him anymore at that level and no one else was hiring him at this level when he let it be known he wanted to. So maybe we get tucky there. As to WF he came from lower levels where there is no great talent discrepancy. This is a different world and he doesn't appear to be willing to adapt.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Program in big time trouble, for this reason. After reading the article a couple of weeks ago about why Fritz jumped on the Tulane job, it felt like the Toledo situation again. He basically said, I am 56 years old without a long term contract at Georgia Southen, so I took the higher paying job for my family. While admirable, does that sound like a coach driven to succeed or a guy nearing retirement?
Had he been confident in his ability, wouldn't he have waited another year for better jobs to open up? He took this job to set himself up for the remainder of his life. Just like with Toledo, what happens when you've met that goal and then meet the difficulty of recruiting and winning at Tulane, the realization that the mountain is insurmountable sets in fairly early. Then it is just easier to play out the string and enjoy life rather than beating your head against the wall in an effort to win.
Does either the coaching on the field week to week or the recruiting look like a guy driven to succeed. The Tulane job just takes too much out of a guy to compete with even the better G5 guys.
The recruiting is actually the bigger problem because the talent on the defensive front 7 and OL is declining rapidly and that means very little chance to compete in this conference with this coaching staff going forward.
wave97
Swell

This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?
galvezwave
Swell

wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.
Admissions was long the main culprit. However we can now admit players at the NCAA minimums. It has put in at least 4 athlete friendly majors including health and wellness. It is the 67 years of losing and the HS facilities that prevent coaches from being able to recruit.