Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 am
Dave breslin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am Do you really think we will can Willie “Road Kill” Fritz? I don’t think so. Is Toledo still alive? I saw a man under the overpass on St Charles. He could use the bucks to coach
No Dave. Just musings of frustrated fans that want to get their minds off of the sorry excuse for a football team that we have.
Exactly. I have no delusions that we'll flush Willie over the next 15 months, but after another similar season next year, then something might happen--and I'm afraid next year could be a repeat of this year and last year. If it was a matter of talent we'd see improvement from year to year. But it's a coaching problem, and not getting better from year to year. I really think Willie and his staff are at a loss as to what to do. They clearly don't have the ability to develop a scheme that takes advantage of the skills that the team has and doesn't have.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
netshorty
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:43 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 am
Dave breslin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am Do you really think we will can Willie “Road Kill” Fritz? I don’t think so. Is Toledo still alive? I saw a man under the overpass on St Charles. He could use the bucks to coach
No Dave. Just musings of frustrated fans that want to get their minds off of the sorry excuse for a football team that we have.
Exactly. I have no delusions that we'll flush Willie over the next 15 months, but after another similar season next year, then something might happen--and I'm afraid next year could be a repeat of this year and last year. If it was a matter of talent we'd see improvement from year to year. But it's a coaching problem, and not getting better from year to year. I really think Willie and his staff are at a loss as to what to do. They clearly don't have the ability to develop a scheme that takes advantage of the skills that the team has and doesn't have.
Unfortunately this clear indication that it's not going to work is true in football, basketball and baseball.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 am So Skip Holtz would be the best we can get.
I don't think we could get him. While it's not a lateral move the angle isn't very steep.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 am So Skip Holtz would be the best we can get.
I don't think we could get him. While it's not a lateral move the angle isn't very steep.
why the hell would Skip Holtz move from beautiful Ruston to NOLA....Skippy ain't comin' to NOLA..no one is..Fritz has a minimum of another two years no matta, what we on this board post
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
torbida
Surge

When Fitz was hired and Tanner Lee left I thought we'd be running option like Army but instead we are throwing it. using different backs I guess they dont have confidence in running a lot of the option plays.
msdos
Swell

This is a worthless thread for at least 2 years.

Our retarded AD signed a losing coach to 2023.

Expect Fritz to continue to collect his $1.5 million check, roughly $400k a win, for a few more years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm
aj- CUSA is so bad he'd be enticed to get on ESPN3 rather than facebook. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

Better hope Fritz figures it out bc nobody else is coming here that’s worth anything. Nobody cares if this job is in a better Conference than CUSA. Coaches are looking to go places they can win and move up the ladder. There isn’t an up and coming coach in the country who thinks in their own head that the AAC is their end game. This isn’t a job that lends itself to upward mobility.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

First of all, we're not changing coaches any time in the next few months, and probably not even after the 2019 season, unless we stay stuck at 3-5 wins. Regardless of who becomes the next head coach, it will be a longer re-build than what Fritz is doing, unless we get someone else that wants to run this offense.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:10 pm First of all, we're not changing coaches any time in the next few months, and probably not even after the 2019 season, unless we stay stuck at 3-5 wins. Regardless of who becomes the next head coach, it will be a longer re-build than what Fritz is doing, unless we get someone else that wants to run this offense.
what Offense ?...we ain't 'offensive"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Shades of 1978 and Larry Smith. Six games into season three, he was 2-4, coming off of a 2-9 and 3-8 seasons, and we were hearing the exact same things. The faculty was pushing to drop football completely. He finished the season 4-7, for a three year record of 9-24. And then 1979 happened.

We NEED a QB that can make the reads on the option, and throw an accurate ball. Do that and we're good. Last season we had the #4 recruiting class in the conf, and the best we've had in decades. Several of those players are already having impact. We just don't have enough players yet.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ajcalhoun
Swell

Dang, 320, that was some mighty fine sunshine-pumping you did there.

WTH, I'm in. I choose to not be miserable.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 pm Shades of 1978 and Larry Smith. Six games into season three, he was 2-4, coming off of a 2-9 and 3-8 seasons, and we were hearing the exact same things. The faculty was pushing to drop football completely. He finished the season 4-7, for a three year record of 9-24. And then 1979 happened.

We NEED a QB that can make the reads on the option, and throw an accurate ball. Do that and we're good. Last season we had the #4 recruiting class in the conf, and the best we've had in decades. Several of those players are already having impact. We just don't have enough players yet.
Yea maybe Roch still has eligibility. :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 pm Shades of 1978 and Larry Smith. Six games into season three, he was 2-4, coming off of a 2-9 and 3-8 seasons, and we were hearing the exact same things. The faculty was pushing to drop football completely. He finished the season 4-7, for a three year record of 9-24. And then 1979 happened.

Roch ?...how bout Terrance Jones
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We know Jon English used up his eligibility! Unfortunately, it was before he played for Tulane.

I agree, this season is not yet lost (but this team has not yet found it's way!) And remember how Cutcliff did his first four or five seasons at Duke before finally getting things turned around.

It's awfully hard to watch this team, but I, too, choose not to be miserable. Too many worse problems in life, and our country to get that upset with a 2-4 Tulane football team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 pm

And remember how Cutcliff did his first four or five seasons at Duke before finally getting things turned around.

dickson had Green Wave; Dannen, too, now appears to have his own Green Wave....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Roch ?...how bout Terrance Jones
Yes but Roch was the QB in 1979.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Hmm, wasn’t what really happened in 1979 Lindy Infante came back as offensive coordinator?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Hmm, wasn’t what really happened in 1979 Lindy Infante came back as offensive coordinator?
Yep
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What happened in 1979 was we brought Infante back as the offensive coordinator. He was imaginative and we threw to set up the run. Same as '98 with RR. Yet some fools can't comprehend that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 pm

What happened in 1979 was we brought Infante back as the offensive coordinator. He was imaginative and we threw to set up the run. Same as '98 with RR. Yet some fools can't comprehend that.
All true. Plus we had some decent OL and DL play, and receivers who could catch. And we have yet to find anyone close to Sgt. Roch. But I too can only hope for comparisons to Larry Smith’s progress at Tulane.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I would be absolutely shocked if Fritz is fired. Unless we completely collapse, he will be back and I actually agree he should get a fourth year.

Does he deserve it, probably not for a normally competitive program. Will things turn around, a big maybe. The fact is that Fritz won everywhere and suddenly comes to Tulane and losses. Yes you can excuse the fact that it was a step up in conference but the optics would look real bad when you try to hire the next coach. Who would take a job where a perennial winner can't get it done and gets canned after three years.....no one of value, none! Recruiting would be destroyed as every one of our competitors will tell recruits that the new TU coach will lose like all the others in the past and be gone in no time, so stay away from Uptown NOLA. Sure on the flip side some fans will say canning Fritz after 3 years shows we are committed to a winning program but the fact is that the TU FBall brand is so screwed right now that we have to at least show the next coach that he will be given the proper time to turn the program around, canning Fritz after 3 years shows the opposite. No coach would take such a risk without knowing he would get several years. Of course, giving him a 4th year also provides the chance that Fritz gets time to coach up HIS recruits and turn this around as well, which would be amazing. Fritz inherited a mess and his first recruiting class was late. It sucks to keep being told to be patient but the flip side of canning Fritz after three years would be far worse, IMO. It sucks, but it is reality. It's like Baylor's awful brand, no one was taking that job without a long term commitment.

Fritz has certainly improved the discipline and training. At times we look like a legit program and the D remains pretty decent. We were never going to have big time OL talent, but he has failed in finding the right coach to get the OL at least serviceable, that in the OC needs to change or be vastly adjusted. The huge issue (and this is true for most failed coaches) is the inability to recruit/develop a quality QB that fits his system, which frankly is mind blowing given the fact the so many LA High Schools (and surrounding states) run a similar read/option system as Fritz. Look at Houston and UCF, they've been pumping in undersized athletes at QB who are smart and make plays, why can't TU? Hell Houston previously converted a dam WR to QB who would be at worst 4-2 (probably 5-1) at TU this year. Maybe the kid from USM will be the answer or Mc can learn to run more RPOs/option plays, IDK.

The fact also is that the AAC programs are investing so much more into not only facilities, but coaching, recruiting budgets etc. TU thought building Yulman and renovating locker rooms was some sort of big step in the eyes of the admin, well that doesn't even come close to catching us up to the middle of the AAC.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 amFritz has certainly improved the discipline and training. At times we look like a legit program and the D remains pretty decent.
Great take on things, but can you please explain the above to me? Not being smart or sarcastic, but I'm really trying to be convinced or see why most people think differently of Fritz vs. previous coaches, especially when we've seen the same results, the same unexpected wins, and the same unexpected blowouts, embarrassments, and inconsistencies. What am I missing?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 amFritz has certainly improved the discipline and training. At times we look like a legit program and the D remains pretty decent.
Great take on things, but can you please explain the above to me? Not being smart or sarcastic, but I'm really trying to be convinced or see why most people think differently of Fritz vs. previous coaches, especially when we've seen the same results, the same unexpected wins, and the same unexpected blowouts, embarrassments, and inconsistencies. What am I missing?
My explanation, the competition is much better. Sure people will say it is mainly the same CUSA names we played in the past but that is not true as these schools are absolutely dumping money into their programs. 3/4 of the league have dreams of a B12/ACC invite and are making a push to get there by paying big money to their coaching staffs and investing huge in facilities. These are not the same CUSA brands we played for years.
Houston, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Cinci etc are pouring money into their athletics. Look around at the FBall and Bball staffs and the facilities for both sports, they blow away any other G5 and in many places compete directly with lower P5's. TU just thought making some marginal improvements over the past was enough, they don't understand the landscape. We recruit/invest to the bottom of every league we are in. If TU was still in CUSA we would recruit/invest to the bottom of that league as well.

As for the play and discipline. Well that is subjective. IMO, just look at special teams, interviews, budgets, off season programs, practice organization.....it is improved over CJ/Buffet Bob, but at the same time the jump up to the the new AAC reality off sets said improvement. Personally, I don't know if this ever gets turned around without a massive investment in training assets, continued options academically (despite winwave's sentiment I still believe we have an uphill academic climb compared to the rest of the league) and of course bigger recruiting/coaching budgets (by coaching I don't just mean the HC).

BTW, you think this FBall season is a struggle for fans, wait until Bball. Then of course there is the ultimate unknown with where this baseball program is headed. Nevermind we are paying a women's bball coach $500k+ for nothing. I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel. My best case scenario is that we can make a bowl every 2-3 years, make an NIT every 3-4 years and make regionals every other year (never ever getting to a WS). That's a really low bar. It's sad.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am
My explanation, the competition is much better. Sure people will say it is mainly the same CUSA names we played in the past but that is not true as these schools are absolutely dumping money into their programs. 3/4 of the league have dreams of a B12/ACC invite and are making a push to get there by paying big money to their coaching staffs and investing huge in facilities. These are not the same CUSA brands we played for years.
Houston, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Cinci etc are pouring money into their athletics. Look around at the FBall and Bball staffs and the facilities for both sports, they blow away any other G5 and in many places compete directly with lower P5's. TU just thought making some marginal improvements over the past was enough, they don't understand the landscape. We recruit/invest to the bottom of every league we are in. If TU was still in CUSA we would recruit/invest to the bottom of that league as well.

As for the play and discipline. Well that is subjective. IMO, just look at special teams, interviews, budgets, off season programs, practice organization.....it is improved over CJ/Buffet Bob, but at the same time the jump up to the the new AAC reality off sets said improvement. Personally, I don't know if this ever gets turned around without a massive investment in training assets, continued options academically (despite winwave's sentiment I still believe we have an uphill academic climb compared to the rest of the league) and of course bigger recruiting/coaching budgets (by coaching I don't just mean the HC).

BTW, you think this FBall season is a struggle for fans, wait until Bball. Then of course there is the ultimate unknown with where this baseball program is headed. Nevermind we are paying a women's bball coach $500k+ for nothing. I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel. My best case scenario is that we can make a bowl every 2-3 years, make an NIT every 3-4 years and make regionals every other year (never ever getting to a WS). That's a really low bar. It's sad.
who cares about facilities.. Tulane has academics !!!!......that said, the Southland Conference awaits