Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:We already have the reputation of a career killer, even though that's not really true. Good coaches have always won here. We just never hire any. Fritz losing looks bad because he is so well respected coming in. Warranted or not, he's never been a loser until it said Tulane across his chest. We NEED Willie to figure this out. Nobody worth a f*** would want it anyway, so pile on top of that the possibility of getting canned in less than 2 seasons? It's just not plausible for Tulane. Dangerous ground. Figure it out or get help, willie.
You know in two years or less if it’s going to work. Waiting 4-5 years like Tulane always does is insane. You go broke on Wall St holding a loser 4-5 years. No different here. Ask yourself how many years did Bowden and RR need?
Bowden was an anomaly. I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do believe times have changed even since 98. Tulane sat on its ass too long and I'm not convinced it can be saved , much less find somebody worth a sh*t and stupid enough to try it out. If you're winning at fiu or utsa, you would have to be an absolute idiot to make a lateral move (to be kind) to come here, fail then you're coaching defensive backs at country day.
No. Bowden was a great hire. You know you said that to yourself when we got him. Now I agree things today are much different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Rodriguez

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
HoustonWave
Tsunami

So who are the candidates? Les Miles? Tommy Bowden (out of moth balls)? Rehabilitate Rich Rod or Art Briles? Some young up and comer? And don’t tell me some are “untouchable”— at this point, the only thing that may be untouchable is the Tulane football head coaching job.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Sure would like us to hire Kendall Briles as our head coach. I think his offensive scheme would be great for Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:26 pm Sure would like us to hire Kendall Briles as our head coach. I think his offensive scheme would be great for Tulane.
the "holier than thou" Tulane board will never allow anyone with the Briles name to be employed at Tulane...Kendall may have to get a special permit to be allowed on campus for next years game
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:00 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:26 pm Sure would like us to hire Kendall Briles as our head coach. I think his offensive scheme would be great for Tulane.
the "holier than thou" Tulane board will never allow anyone with the Briles name to be employed at Tulane...Kendall may have to get a special permit to be allowed on campus for next years game
This isn’t a holier than thou thing, that’s extremely poor Choice of words for not wanting Briles. I’ll just chalk it up as not being fully aware of the situation.. holier than though would be looking down on a coach for cussing or drinking to much and going to bars etc. What the Briles family and his coaching staff did at Baylor was flat out sickening and someone should probably spend some jail time. If I was the father of that girl he tried to intimidate from saying anything and showing up at her apt I would’ve buried him.

Hiring any Briles would be flat out disgusting. Frankly Baby Briles shouldn’t even be allowed within a few miles of a campus. Their is a reason art can’t get a job in North America including Canadian football job he got turned down for.

53 rapes happened that they covered up. Some were even gang raped. This wasn’t a 1 time deal. This was a 53 time deal In just a few years, and those are the ones we know of. Probably double that from girls that haven’t come forward. Several of the players transferred and were accepted at Baylor after being kicked out of previous univ for same thing.

Several of these players are in jail or have been. Might as well give these girls/victims a pistol and some whiskey because they will spend the rest of there lives talking to a shrink.

NCAA just this week sent notice to Baylor and is about to blow that program up. If you don’t know they story or haven’t followed it closesly, you shouldn’t comment on it. It’s worse than penn state and joe paterno as the coaching staff were the ones encouraging and then intimidating the victim. Pure sickening.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I did not realize Baby Briles had been implicated in the Baylor scandal. I just assumed FAU and Houston would not have hired him if he had any involvement in it. Guess I was wrong. Obviously I knew about Art Briles' involvement as head coach but did not know Baby Briles as an assistant coach was also in on it. RollWaveRoll thanks for bring this to our attention. We need to forget about Baby Briles as a possible replacement for Fritz.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:41 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:00 pm
This isn’t a holier than thou thing, that’s extremely poor Choice of words for not wanting Briles. I’ll just chalk it up as not being fully aware of the situation.. holier than though would be looking down on a coach for cussing or drinking to much and going to bars etc. What the Briles family and his coaching staff did at Baylor was flat out sickening and someone should probably spend some jail time. If I was the father of that girl he tried to intimidate from saying anything and showing up at her apt I would’ve buried him.

Hiring any Briles would be flat out disgusting. Frankly Baby Briles shouldn’t even be allowed within a few miles of a campus. Their is a reason art can’t get a job in North America including Canadian football job he got turned down for.

53 rapes happened that they covered up. Some were even gang raped. This wasn’t a 1 time deal. This was a 53 time deal In just a few years, and those are the ones we know of. Probably double that from girls that haven’t come forward. Several of the players transferred and were accepted at Baylor after being kicked out of previous univ for same thing.

Several of these players are in jail or have been. Might as well give these girls/victims a pistol and some whiskey because they will spend the rest of there lives talking to a shrink.

NCAA just this week sent notice to Baylor and is about to blow that program up. If you don’t know they story or haven’t followed it closesly, you shouldn’t comment on it. It’s worse than penn state and joe paterno as the coaching staff were the ones encouraging and then intimidating the victim. Pure sickening.
Like I said, Kendall will have to have special permission to be on campus.... and I live 45 minutes from the Baylor Campus..... so keeping up with Baylor is not that difficult...is there a link for the NCAA "Letter of Notice" ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Jonathan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:32 pm I want Tommy Bowden back. If he can find another Coach Rod as his top assistant. I loved their offense and how both disciplined the team unlike CJ and staff. What a mess we are in now!
What century are you living in? In 1998 linebackers were large run stopping creatures. Today they are more like nickle backs of 1998. Defensive fronts are able to "outzone" the inherant numerical advantage of the zone read. Can we look forward to hiring an OC who has an ounce of creativity?
BTW, a consistent attrition rate within a coaching staff is a good thing - other people hire your assistant coaches while young bright coaching talent will arrive at your program like bees to honey. I will start following Rice Football. I have no choice.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Lionel Washington.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 am I did not realize Baby Briles had been implicated in the Baylor scandal. I just assumed FAU and Houston would not have hired him if he had any involvement in it. Guess I was wrong. Obviously I knew about Art Briles' involvement as head coach but did not know Baby Briles as an assistant coach was also in on it. RollWaveRoll thanks for bring this to our attention. We need to forget about Baby Briles as a possible replacement for Fritz.
If memory serves, both FAU and UH did an extensive background check on Kendall Briles, including interviewing the Baylor Campus Police, Waco Police Dept, Texas Dept of Public Safety ( Texas State Police ) as well as the McLennan County District Attorney's Office and he was cleared of any involvement...new facts / allegations may have surfaced since those investigations were completed
I will throw my coach in waiting possibility...Greg Schiano
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well we aren't going to be able to attract any top flight young assistant looking for their first HC job. So Skip Holtz would be the best we can get. He's shown he can win at this level. Otherwise Tim Rebowe, orFrank Scelfo . I love Lionel and would love to see him as our DC but he's not HC material. In the end it won't matter. Our suck ass facilities kill any chance of building a program. Plus Tulane has no clue what it takes to win at this level. Fuck them and their seat licenses.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tim Rebowe definitely a top candidate. Lionel would only come back as a HC though.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Do you really think we will can Willie “Road Kill” Fritz? I don’t think so. Is Toledo still alive? I saw a man under the overpass on St Charles. He could use the bucks to coach
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am Do you really think we will can Willie “Road Kill” Fritz? I don’t think so. Is Toledo still alive? I saw a man under the overpass on St Charles. He could use the bucks to coach
No Dave. Just musings of frustrated fans that want to get their minds off of the sorry excuse for a football team that we have.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

Auburn fans started a go-fund me page this morning for the buyout of Malhzains contract. People are delusional if they think WF will be replaced. The Pres doesn't really care about athletics, the AD is the one who hired WF and he comes from a small time program. WF will be here a long time. Besides, the AD is spending most of his energies destroying the only sport we were successful in.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Dave breslin
Swell

I think we are competitive in bowling and golf. That’s where we should sell the license to watch
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:19 am I think we are competitive in bowling and golf. That’s where we should sell the license to watch
I’m laughing now but could that be next?
:mrgreen: :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:46 am
Dave breslin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:19 am I think we are competitive in bowling and golf. That’s where we should sell the license to watch
I’m laughing now but could that be next?
:mrgreen: :lol:
I don't think we are that competitive in Golf anymore
Pepper
Swell

Post of the month!
netshorty
Surge

there is so much of this season that is the same as last that it's almost scary.
  • - 1 win over FCS team

- 1 nice win over a league team that had dominated us

- 1 blowout loss against a P5 powerhouse

- 1 terrible road loss against a cusa team.

- mix in a close loss and finish with a bad loss to a Cincy team.
Biggest difference is last year the Cincy game thread was called "Battle of the bottom bowl" . one team is no longer competing to be the worst team and one still is. we were saying the same things about the team and WF last year yet were a few games further into the season.

but no worries. we'll win 3 of our last 6. come within a drive of going to a bowl. all will be forgotten and we'll restart our myopic predictions for next year with a majority of the few remaining fans believing we'll be bowling next year.

Insanity, at the root of its definition.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Willie Fritz, for better or worse, will be the Tulane football coach in 2019. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

And Dannen isn't wasting his time trying to destroy Tulane baseball. That gets done with little or no effort. Let's hope Latham makes a difference on that front. Meanwhile, we stink in the sports that matter.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:05 pm Willie Fritz, for better or worse, will be the Tulane football coach in 2019. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

And Dannen isn't wasting his time trying to destroy Tulane baseball. That gets done with little or no effort. Let's hope Latham makes a difference on that front. Meanwhile, we stink in the sports that matter.
All sports matter.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

UR right. Volleyball, bowling, beach volleyball all matter as much as the big three: Football and men's and women's basketball.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm UR right. Volleyball, bowling, beach volleyball all matter as much as the big three: Football and men's and women's basketball.
Unfortunately, we aren't good in anything.
Jaxwave
Swell

There is limited seat I g at the bowling alley so if that sport excels look out for those PSLs.