Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?
Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.
Butch will most probably end up in Gainseville, FL...

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.
Admissions was long the main culprit. However we can now admit players at the NCAA minimums. It has put in at least 4 athlete friendly majors including health and wellness. It is the 67 years of losing and the HS facilities that prevent coaches from being able to recruit.
So we're recruiting gpas on purpose?by choice?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.
All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.
All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.
Stanford..Northwestern...USC...Notre Dame...SMU.....Vandy....Miami....Syracuse....TCU....the Military Acadamies...and other "Private" Universities all seem to do pretty damn well in College Athletics...the difference...Senior Management commitment to excellence...something lacking @ Tulane University, New Orleans, LA....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I really had some hope for this season. Even cautiously called for 5-7. We’ve not consistent week to week that’s a big concern. It’s a Tulane tradition for the season to basically end with a loss at HC in front of your biggest crowd.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?
GreenLantern
Riptide

We don’t need no stinkin high GPAs. We need more real men like Rob Kelly that will beat up other students, take their lunch money and steal their bicycles.

There was a funny story floating around during Fat Rob’s era:

Q: Why do you brake hard to avoid a Tulane football player who is riding a bicycle?
A: Because it might be your bicycle.

For any johnny-come-latelys, here’s the story of Fat Rob’s bicycle heist:
https://www.google.com/amp/collegefootb ... -bike/amp/
greenphantom
Swell

galvezwave wrote:Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?
Toledo and Fritz are better coaches than Scelfo who inherited a gold mine and squandered it. At least Toledo and Fritz had success elsewhere.
galvezwave
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?
Toledo and Fritz are better coaches than Scelfo who inherited a gold mine and squandered it. At least Toledo and Fritz had success elsewhere.

Lol no. Toledo? Probably the worst hire in Tulane history
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

Lol no. Toledo? Probably the worst hire in Tulane history
Toledo was one win away from playing for a National Championship @ UCLA...
galvezwave
Swell

He was deplorable and set Tulane back 10 years. What are we talking about here anyway? Arguing which pig had the nicest hat ! It's all bad! Mods may delete this thread .
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Haha. No way UF hires Butch. Not as head coach atleast
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Haha. No way UF hires Butch. Not as head coach atleast
may I ask why not ?...they hired McEIwain !!!...anyway...WF is not going anywhere...TD is not going to make changes after just two seasons..WF may have to make Staff changes, but he is good to go for at least the next two seasons ...so this thread is useless
JerseyWave
Riptide

Did Dannen interview Lincoln Riley for the Tulane job two years ago?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Butch Davis is not leaving FIU after one season to come to Tulane. It's a lateral move, despite an uptick in conference affiliation. He'll stay a couple of years and get a MUCH better gig.

I thought I posted this, but couldn't find it in my posts: We're stuck, for better or worse, with Fritz AT LEAST through 2018. We fire Fritz before the end of his 2nd season and we'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel because nobody will want to come here. How long did it take Cutcliff to turn Duke around? How long did it take Monken at Army? I hate the Fritz offensive offense. I wish it were so easy as many seem to think, just pull the plug and wave the wand and we'll hire the next Nick Saban and be a top 25 team in two years. It just isn't that simple. We pull the plug on Fritz and we'll either have to hire someone that has a similar philosophy or suffer for another few years getting the program aligned with the next coaches philosophy.

With all that being said, I don't think anyone has mentioned Mike Houston, JMU coach, as a possible replacement. If we're going to wax poetic about the next hire, he'd be way ahead of Rich Rodriguez on my list (mostly because that ship sailed LONG ago.) But even if we fired Fritz this year, it would be difficult to get Houston. He's going to have all sorts of offers, and could stay at JMU another year and have an offer from a powerhouse that has a coach retire (think SEC) He's that good. I could easily see Saban retiring, Dabo Sweeney making the move, and Houston getting the Clemson job.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
oliveandblue
Surge

We aren't a football school. We're not firing a guy just 1.5 years in (even though the buyout won't be that high). Besides, I don't see Tulane recruiting guys from sketchy backgrounds - and we regularly play teams that are winning by doing so. Most of the AAC (besides Navy/UConn/Cincy? - notice how we can compete against them) are taking huge risks on a regular basis so that they can win now.
Show Me
Tsunami

Sad thing is WF will get fired at the end of next season. So Tulane is going to waste a year waiting. The 2018 schedule will guarantee his third straight losing season. Something he has never experienced. He’s recruiting like he’s still in the Sunbelt. I guess no one will want this job with the HS facilities. You’re right we’re not a football school and will never be one. We were at least a baseball school but thats over. Perhaps we can tear down Devlin and become a basketball school.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The 2018 OOC Schedule....at the bottom are the home and away games, they have not been "set" yet

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... qoaaDnjKVa
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
We're not doing it because we have to. It's because we are reduced to doing that.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

galvezwave wrote:He was deplorable and set Tulane back 10 years. What are we talking about here anyway? Arguing which pig had the nicest hat ! It's all bad! Mods may delete this thread .
Toledo inherited a mess and at least upgraded the program slightly with summer workouts and he did recruit some NFL quality players. He wasn't good for Tulane but again, he at least had success as a HC at a different program, something Scelfo never did.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Stanford..Northwestern...USC...Notre Dame...SMU.....Vandy....Miami....Syracuse....TCU....the Military Acadamies...and other "Private" Universities all seem to do pretty damn well in College Athletics...the difference...Senior Management commitment to excellence...something lacking @ Tulane University, New Orleans, LA....
It will take time to instill excellence throughout Tulane, including athletics, after 18 years of Cowen's "mediocrity by design".
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
wave97
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
It will take time to instill excellence throughout Tulane, including athletics, after 18 years of Cowen's "mediocrity by design".
It goes back as far as Harry Truman's administration.
Wave QB
Swell

Terry Bowden would leave Akron to come to New Orleans in a heartbeat.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Show Me wrote:Sad thing is WF will get fired at the end of next season. So Tulane is going to waste a year waiting. The 2018 schedule will guarantee his third straight losing season. Something he has never experienced. He’s recruiting like he’s still in the Sunbelt. I guess no one will want this job with the HS facilities. You’re right we’re not a football school and will never be one. We were at least a baseball school but thats over. Perhaps we can tear down Devlin and become a basketball school.

"Never" is the operative word!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!