Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am
Fritz has certainly improved the discipline and training. At times we look like a legit program and the D remains pretty decent.
Great take on things, but can you please explain the above to me? Not being smart or sarcastic, but I'm really trying to be convinced or see why most people think differently of Fritz vs. previous coaches, especially when we've seen the same results, the same unexpected wins, and the same unexpected blowouts, embarrassments, and inconsistencies. What am I missing?
My explanation, the competition is much better. Sure people will say it is mainly the same CUSA names we played in the past but that is not true as these schools are absolutely dumping money into their programs. 3/4 of the league have dreams of a B12/ACC invite and are making a push to get there by paying big money to their coaching staffs and investing huge in facilities. These are not the same CUSA brands we played for years.
Houston, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Cinci etc are pouring money into their athletics. Look around at the FBall and Bball staffs and the facilities for both sports, they blow away any other G5 and in many places compete directly with lower P5's. TU just thought making some marginal improvements over the past was enough, they don't understand the landscape. We recruit/invest to the bottom of every league we are in. If TU was still in CUSA we would recruit/invest to the bottom of that league as well.

As for the play and discipline. Well that is subjective. IMO, just look at special teams, interviews, budgets, off season programs, practice organization.....it is improved over CJ/Buffet Bob, but at the same time the jump up to the the new AAC reality off sets said improvement. Personally, I don't know if this ever gets turned around without a massive investment in training assets, continued options academically (despite winwave's sentiment I still believe we have an uphill academic climb compared to the rest of the league) and of course bigger recruiting/coaching budgets (by coaching I don't just mean the HC).

BTW, you think this FBall season is a struggle for fans, wait until Bball. Then of course there is the ultimate unknown with where this baseball program is headed. Nevermind we are paying a women's bball coach $500k+ for nothing. I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel. My best case scenario is that we can make a bowl every 2-3 years, make an NIT every 3-4 years and make regionals every other year (never ever getting to a WS). That's a really low bar. It's sad.
While much of what you write is true, as stated for the other above posts, bringing in a good young offensive coordinator like for Lindy Infante in 1979 or RichRod in 1997 can make all the difference in the world. This year as things presently stand we have enough talent to have beaten any team we have played so far with the exception only of Ohio State.


mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5204
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Wave755 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am
Fritz has certainly improved the discipline and training. At times we look like a legit program and the D remains pretty decent.
Great take on things, but can you please explain the above to me? Not being smart or sarcastic, but I'm really trying to be convinced or see why most people think differently of Fritz vs. previous coaches, especially when we've seen the same results, the same unexpected wins, and the same unexpected blowouts, embarrassments, and inconsistencies. What am I missing?
My explanation, the competition is much better. Sure people will say it is mainly the same CUSA names we played in the past but that is not true as these schools are absolutely dumping money into their programs. 3/4 of the league have dreams of a B12/ACC invite and are making a push to get there by paying big money to their coaching staffs and investing huge in facilities. These are not the same CUSA brands we played for years.
Houston, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Cinci etc are pouring money into their athletics. Look around at the FBall and Bball staffs and the facilities for both sports, they blow away any other G5 and in many places compete directly with lower P5's. TU just thought making some marginal improvements over the past was enough, they don't understand the landscape. We recruit/invest to the bottom of every league we are in. If TU was still in CUSA we would recruit/invest to the bottom of that league as well.

As for the play and discipline. Well that is subjective. IMO, just look at special teams, interviews, budgets, off season programs, practice organization.....it is improved over CJ/Buffet Bob, but at the same time the jump up to the the new AAC reality off sets said improvement. Personally, I don't know if this ever gets turned around without a massive investment in training assets, continued options academically (despite winwave's sentiment I still believe we have an uphill academic climb compared to the rest of the league) and of course bigger recruiting/coaching budgets (by coaching I don't just mean the HC).

BTW, you think this FBall season is a struggle for fans, wait until Bball. Then of course there is the ultimate unknown with where this baseball program is headed. Nevermind we are paying a women's bball coach $500k+ for nothing. I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel. My best case scenario is that we can make a bowl every 2-3 years, make an NIT every 3-4 years and make regionals every other year (never ever getting to a WS). That's a really low bar. It's sad.
While much of what you write is true, as stated for the other above posts, bringing in a good young offensive coordinator like for Lindy Infante in 1979 or RichRod in 1997 can make all the difference in the world. This year as things presently stand we have enough talent to have beaten any team we have played so far with the exception only of Ohio State.
If Fritz opened up the OC position, I am sure there will be a long list of good young OCs applying for the job. Hell they would at least get the pleasure of living in lovely NOLA for a year. Also, remember this is not 1997, the industry has exploded. Now there are agents with huge staffs and headhunting firms servicing this billion dollar industry. Tulane has been exposed and can no longer hide. We can only get retreads, old men and friends of donors.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12457
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:20 pm

I doubt Fritz makes a change. Also, Fritz has said several times that he likes to only hire people that he's very familiar with. So I don't see some young up and coming OC in our near future.
Let's Do This!
Sunamiwave
Ripple
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Back to finding a replacement for Fritz. How about Chip Lindsay the offensive coordinator at Auburn? I followed him when he was the oc at Southern Miss under Todd Monken and was very impressed by his offensive scheme and play calling.
oliveandblue
High Tide
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 pm

winwave wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:20 pm
I doubt Fritz makes a change. Also, Fritz has said several times that he likes to only hire people that he's very familiar with. So I don't see some young up and coming OC in our near future.
That's not ideal at Tulane. You almost need to be inventive here. You can win here - but not with traditional systems/thinking. It's why a pure triple option or even air raid would hold up okay here.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7980
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am

all of this talk about "new" Offenses...the Triple Option , the Air Raid...hell bring back the Veer...Tulane has one issue, recruiting O lineman that can actually play at the FBS level...that said, the OL coach needs to go... some of issues with Tulane's O can be solved with a simple adjustment of line splits, I know, I've posted this many times in the past...the splits are too narrow, the defense is stacked into position to the points which Tulane wants to attack...rather than make the D defend the complete 53 and 1/3 yards wide and 120 yards long we condense the damn field into a pocket of 20 yards wide and 25 yards long...the wider the D has to play, the more running lanes are exposed ....the wider the D plays the longer it takes to get to the QB....all "Air Raid" type O's use wide line splits, ..TX Tech runs for almost 200 yards a game, an average 4.5 yards per rush...UH runs for just over 200 yards per game, and average of 6.7 yards per carry, neither Tech or UH have OL the caliber of Ohio State, but they do have wide line splits..Oh yeah, they both seem to throw the ball fairly well
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12457
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am
all of this talk about "new" Offenses...the Triple Option , the Air Raid...hell bring back the Veer...Tulane has one issue, recruiting O lineman that can actually play at the FBS level...that said, the OL coach needs to go... some of issues with Tulane's O can be solved with a simple adjustment of line splits, I know, I've posted this many times in the past...the splits are too narrow, the defense is stacked into position to the points which Tulane wants to attack...rather than make the D defend the complete 53 and 1/3 yards wide and 120 yards long we condense the damn field into a pocket of 20 yards wide and 25 yards long...the wider the D has to play, the more running lanes are exposed ....the wider the D plays the longer it takes to get to the QB....all "Air Raid" type O's use wide line splits, ..TX Tech runs for almost 200 yards a game, an average 4.5 yards per rush...UH runs for just over 200 yards per game, and average of 6.7 yards per carry, neither Tech or UH have OL the caliber of Ohio State, but they do have wide line splits..Oh yeah, they both seem to throw the ball fairly well
Preach!
Let's Do This!
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am
all of this talk about "new" Offenses...the Triple Option , the Air Raid...hell bring back the Veer...Tulane has one issue, recruiting O lineman that can actually play at the FBS level...that said, the OL coach needs to go... some of issues with Tulane's O can be solved with a simple adjustment of line splits, I know, I've posted this many times in the past...the splits are too narrow, the defense is stacked into position to the points which Tulane wants to attack...rather than make the D defend the complete 53 and 1/3 yards wide and 120 yards long we condense the damn field into a pocket of 20 yards wide and 25 yards long...the wider the D has to play, the more running lanes are exposed ....the wider the D plays the longer it takes to get to the QB....all "Air Raid" type O's use wide line splits, ..TX Tech runs for almost 200 yards a game, an average 4.5 yards per rush...UH runs for just over 200 yards per game, and average of 6.7 yards per carry, neither Tech or UH have OL the caliber of Ohio State, but they do have wide line splits..Oh yeah, they both seem to throw the ball fairly well
Has Ruse every used wide splits? Fritz and his staff seem to be totally locked into what they have always done. They have yet to show any signs of being flexible and adapting to what the current situation demands. They just keep hammering their offensive heads against the wall. What they have done at SHSU and Ga. Southern may have worked, but it isn't working here. They need to be more open minded, and willing to adapt, to solve our offensive woes. This Tulane team, even our offense, can do some things---please use the skills we have, and mask our weaknesses.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:23 am

Sunamiwave wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 pm
Back to finding a replacement for Fritz. How about Chip Lindsay the offensive coordinator at Auburn? I followed him when he was the oc at Southern Miss under Todd Monken and was very impressed by his offensive scheme and play calling.
Have you seen Auburn play offense lately? Not good and it’s not due to lack of talent
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3118
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am
all of this talk about "new" Offenses...the Triple Option , the Air Raid...hell bring back the Veer...Tulane has one issue, recruiting O lineman that can actually play at the FBS level...that said, the OL coach needs to go... some of issues with Tulane's O can be solved with a simple adjustment of line splits, I know, I've posted this many times in the past...the splits are too narrow, the defense is stacked into position to the points which Tulane wants to attack...rather than make the D defend the complete 53 and 1/3 yards wide and 120 yards long we condense the damn field into a pocket of 20 yards wide and 25 yards long...the wider the D has to play, the more running lanes are exposed ....the wider the D plays the longer it takes to get to the QB....all "Air Raid" type O's use wide line splits, ..TX Tech runs for almost 200 yards a game, an average 4.5 yards per rush...UH runs for just over 200 yards per game, and average of 6.7 yards per carry, neither Tech or UH have OL the caliber of Ohio State, but they do have wide line splits..Oh yeah, they both seem to throw the ball fairly well
Reread your first sentence, and you'll see you stated the WHY.

OL's will usually narrow their splits in an attempt to make up for lack of quickness, ability, talent, etc.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7980
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 am

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am
all of this talk about "new" Offenses...the Triple Option , the Air Raid...hell bring back the Veer...Tulane has one issue, recruiting O lineman that can actually play at the FBS level...that said, the OL coach needs to go... some of issues with Tulane's O can be solved with a simple adjustment of line splits, I know, I've posted this many times in the past...the splits are too narrow, the defense is stacked into position to the points which Tulane wants to attack...rather than make the D defend the complete 53 and 1/3 yards wide and 120 yards long we condense the damn field into a pocket of 20 yards wide and 25 yards long...the wider the D has to play, the more running lanes are exposed ....the wider the D plays the longer it takes to get to the QB....all "Air Raid" type O's use wide line splits, ..TX Tech runs for almost 200 yards a game, an average 4.5 yards per rush...UH runs for just over 200 yards per game, and average of 6.7 yards per carry, neither Tech or UH have OL the caliber of Ohio State, but they do have wide line splits..Oh yeah, they both seem to throw the ball fairly well
Reread your first sentence, and you'll see you stated the WHY.

OL's will usually narrow their splits in an attempt to make up for lack of quickness, ability, talent, etc.
Steve, U played the game, but I will respectfully disagree...U widen the splits for the following reasons
1- Easier to read Defenses'
2- Creates natural running lanes
3- Longer routes for D's into backfields
3a- Makes D's defend the complete field, and mask's your OL limitations

Addressing lack of ability and quickness
get into Karate / Judo instruction, and a damn dance class

the above from of Mike Leach
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3118
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 am

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I do agree with those reasons for wide splits. I'll just also say that it's easier for a shitty O-line to offer "better" blocking and less penetration when they get closer together.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Dave breslin
Surge
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Steve, I equate “close “ o line as three yards and a cloud of Astro turf. I agree with golf. We will never have an overpowering o line But a quick deceptive explosive offense is the only way we can win. This high school offense doesn’t work when we’re not as strong as teams that can recruit gorillas. We have assholes who want student athletes. We want fast, smart players. Sunbelt offense won’t make it in the aac. When we’ve won it was with a smart quick offense.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3110
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Our remaining schedule is pretty manageable, so we should come close to a bowl, if not make one. But he's got to see that he needs some fresh assistants....I would think/hope.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12457
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Dave breslin wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 pm
Steve, I equate “close “ o line as three yards and a cloud of Astro turf. I agree with golf. We will never have an overpowering o line But a quick deceptive explosive offense is the only way we can win. This high school offense doesn’t work when we’re not as strong as teams that can recruit gorillas. We have assholes who want student athletes. We want fast, smart players. Sunbelt offense won’t make it in the aac. When we’ve won it was with a smart quick offense.
+1.
Let's Do This!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12457
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 pm

DrBox wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 pm
Our remaining schedule is pretty manageable, so we should come close to a bowl, if not make one. But he's got to see that he needs some fresh assistants....I would think/hope.
Hope he does too but it would be shocking if he actually did that.
Let's Do This!
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:40 am

Really don't see it happening but if TD is proactive, I really hope he looks at Bill Clark at UAB.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am

Offensively, does anyone know what Fritz is trying to evolve to? In his third year, we don’t have the OL we need, we don’t have the QB we need, and we don’t have the WRs we need, if Fritz could suddenly snap his fingers and have everything he needs, what would it be? What offense would we be running? Some seem to think a full option offense, some a spread option, we often just run scrum ball between the tackles. In a perfect world what would we be our offensive identity?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1299
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 am

On defense, we need to retain JJ McCleskey, Jack Curtis & Kevin Peoples at all costs.
I am at a loss for our offensive performance. Coach Fritz needs to hire an OC and let him bring in his key coaching/recruiting staff. If we throw enough money at a creative OC, he will at least have three years to install a productive offense.
As always, winning teams have a combination of talent and coaching & we need to bring in a large measure of both. I don't think we're in a downward spiral yet, but we're close. The way we play for the rest of the season will determine how well we can recruit for 2019.
JJ McCleskey is the single most important coach/recruiter in the program right now. I fear we will lose him this off-season.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12457
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 pm

There’s not a single assistant on this staff that is irreplaceable. On D we have many issues. The most glaring is how we still let people get wide open on us. We’re getting better pressure so it’s not that. As for the offensive staff he isn’t bringing in anybody that would change things. That’s his baby and he isn’t letting go of it.
Let's Do This!
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1299
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 pm

winwave wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 pm
There’s not a single assistant on this staff that is irreplaceable. On D we have many issues. The most glaring is how we still let people get wide open on us. We’re getting better pressure so it’s not that. As for the offensive staff he isn’t bringing in anybody that would change things. That’s his baby and he isn’t letting go of it.
I hope you are not right, but I think you are.
Talent > Eagle Scout
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6311
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:31 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am
Offensively, does anyone know what Fritz is trying to evolve to? In his third year, we don’t have the OL we need, we don’t have the QB we need, and we don’t have the WRs we need, if Fritz could suddenly snap his fingers and have everything he needs, what would it be? What offense would we be running? Some seem to think a full option offense, some a spread option, we often just run scrum ball between the tackles. In a perfect world what would we be our offensive identity?
There's no way in hell we're going to give Fritz three more years to build an offense behind a new OC. Sorry, but if he's not getting it done by year five, he's unemployed. Period. Let him have a full roster of his own recruits, and if he's still 5-7 or even 6-6, we need to move on. I'd prefer we be more proactive, but this is Tulane.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7980
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:51 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:31 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am
Offensively, does anyone know what Fritz is trying to evolve to? In his third year, we don’t have the OL we need, we don’t have the QB we need, and we don’t have the WRs we need, if Fritz could suddenly snap his fingers and have everything he needs, what would it be? What offense would we be running? Some seem to think a full option offense, some a spread option, we often just run scrum ball between the tackles. In a perfect world what would we be our offensive identity?
There's no way in hell we're going to give Fritz three more years to build an offense behind a new OC. Sorry, but if he's not getting it done by year five, he's unemployed. Period. Let him have a full roster of his own recruits, and if he's still 5-7 or even 6-6, we need to move on. I'd prefer we be more proactive, but this is Tulane.
well, heaven forbid, Mike Stoops is looking for a job
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:56 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:31 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am
Offensively, does anyone know what Fritz is trying to evolve to? In his third year, we don’t have the OL we need, we don’t have the QB we need, and we don’t have the WRs we need, if Fritz could suddenly snap his fingers and have everything he needs, what would it be? What offense would we be running? Some seem to think a full option offense, some a spread option, we often just run scrum ball between the tackles. In a perfect world what would we be our offensive identity?
There's no way in hell we're going to give Fritz three more years to build an offense behind a new OC. Sorry, but if he's not getting it done by year five, he's unemployed. Period. Let him have a full roster of his own recruits, and if he's still 5-7 or even 6-6, we need to move on. I'd prefer we be more proactive, but this is Tulane.
I don't think Fritz has another three years at the rate he's going. I'm just wondering in a perfect world, where Fritz suddenly had all the personnel that he would want, what type of offense would he run? From the mish-mash we've seen during his first 2 1/2 years, I can't even tell what it is he would like to do. In addition to what we haven't seen on the field, I'm not aware that Fritz has ever verbalized what he is trying to build to, offensively. Right after we hired him, he talked about running an offense that matches the players' capabilities--I think it's fair to say by now, that ain't happening.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply