Potential head football coach candidates search

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7183
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 am

galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?


Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.


Butch will most probably end up in Gainseville, FL...


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby galvezwave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 am

winwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?


Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.


Admissions was long the main culprit. However we can now admit players at the NCAA minimums. It has put in at least 4 athlete friendly majors including health and wellness. It is the 67 years of losing and the HS facilities that prevent coaches from being able to recruit.


So we're recruiting gpas on purpose?by choice?



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10862
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby winwave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 am

Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.


It's the facilities stupid!

User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby RobertM320 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 am

winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.


All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7183
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.


All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.


Stanford..Northwestern...USC...Notre Dame...SMU.....Vandy....Miami....Syracuse....TCU....the Military Acadamies...and other "Private" Universities all seem to do pretty damn well in College Athletics...the difference...Senior Management commitment to excellence...something lacking @ Tulane University, New Orleans, LA....


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16737
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby tpstulane » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 am

I really had some hope for this season. Even cautiously called for 5-7. We’ve not consistent week to week that’s a big concern. It’s a Tulane tradition for the season to basically end with a loss at HC in front of your biggest crowd.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby galvezwave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:25 am

Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?



User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby GreenLantern » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 am

We don’t need no stinkin high GPAs. We need more real men like Rob Kelly that will beat up other students, take their lunch money and steal their bicycles.

There was a funny story floating around during Fat Rob’s era:

Q: Why do you brake hard to avoid a Tulane football player who is riding a bicycle?
A: Because it might be your bicycle.

For any johnny-come-latelys, here’s the story of Fat Rob’s bicycle heist:
https://www.google.com/amp/collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/26/tulanes-top-running-back-faces-charges-over-stolen-bike/amp/



greenphantom
Swell
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby greenphantom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 am

galvezwave wrote:Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?


Toledo and Fritz are better coaches than Scelfo who inherited a gold mine and squandered it. At least Toledo and Fritz had success elsewhere.



galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby galvezwave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:02 am

greenphantom wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?


Toledo and Fritz are better coaches than Scelfo who inherited a gold mine and squandered it. At least Toledo and Fritz had success elsewhere.


Lol no. Toledo? Probably the worst hire in Tulane history



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7183
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 am

galvezwave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Something to chew on, Dickson /Dannon have yet to make a hire better than Chris scelfo. Who was Barbara's second choice (at best) . So Cowan's plant was still a better recruiter and coach than everyone since his firing. Scary thought, huh?


Toledo and Fritz are better coaches than Scelfo who inherited a gold mine and squandered it. At least Toledo and Fritz had success elsewhere.


Lol no. Toledo? Probably the worst hire in Tulane history


Toledo was one win away from playing for a National Championship @ UCLA...


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby galvezwave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:12 am

He was deplorable and set Tulane back 10 years. What are we talking about here anyway? Arguing which pig had the nicest hat ! It's all bad! Mods may delete this thread .



Profoundwizard
Surge
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby Profoundwizard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am

golfnut69 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?


Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.


Butch will most probably end up in Gainseville, FL...


Haha. No way UF hires Butch. Not as head coach atleast



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7183
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?


Again the saddest thing is butch is better off where he is. He can get a good job from fiu. Same for Wilson. These guys will not jeopardize their careers to go backwards when they can win where they are and move UP in the coaching world. Tulane has to change a lot of things and it all starts in admissions and curriculums. Then talk about trying to play football. SMU went through the same thing, they were worse off than we are. But eventually they got it . We can only hope.


Butch will most probably end up in Gainseville, FL...


Haha. No way UF hires Butch. Not as head coach atleast


may I ask why not ?...they hired McEIwain !!!...anyway...WF is not going anywhere...TD is not going to make changes after just two seasons..WF may have to make Staff changes, but he is good to go for at least the next two seasons ...so this thread is useless


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby JerseyWave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Did Dannen interview Lincoln Riley for the Tulane job two years ago?



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby DfromCT » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:32 pm

wave97 wrote:This staff won in Statesboro with Jeff Monken's talent. The entire staff seem like decent people incapable of persuading talented players at primary positions sign.
This thing can get ugly fast Troy. Got Butch Davis on speed dial?


Butch Davis is not leaving FIU after one season to come to Tulane. It's a lateral move, despite an uptick in conference affiliation. He'll stay a couple of years and get a MUCH better gig.

I thought I posted this, but couldn't find it in my posts: We're stuck, for better or worse, with Fritz AT LEAST through 2018. We fire Fritz before the end of his 2nd season and we'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel because nobody will want to come here. How long did it take Cutcliff to turn Duke around? How long did it take Monken at Army? I hate the Fritz offensive offense. I wish it were so easy as many seem to think, just pull the plug and wave the wand and we'll hire the next Nick Saban and be a top 25 team in two years. It just isn't that simple. We pull the plug on Fritz and we'll either have to hire someone that has a similar philosophy or suffer for another few years getting the program aligned with the next coaches philosophy.

With all that being said, I don't think anyone has mentioned Mike Houston, JMU coach, as a possible replacement. If we're going to wax poetic about the next hire, he'd be way ahead of Rich Rodriguez on my list (mostly because that ship sailed LONG ago.) But even if we fired Fritz this year, it would be difficult to get Houston. He's going to have all sorts of offers, and could stay at JMU another year and have an offer from a powerhouse that has a coach retire (think SEC) He's that good. I could easily see Saban retiring, Dabo Sweeney making the move, and Houston getting the Clemson job.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

oliveandblue
High Tide
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby oliveandblue » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:56 pm

We aren't a football school. We're not firing a guy just 1.5 years in (even though the buyout won't be that high). Besides, I don't see Tulane recruiting guys from sketchy backgrounds - and we regularly play teams that are winning by doing so. Most of the AAC (besides Navy/UConn/Cincy? - notice how we can compete against them) are taking huge risks on a regular basis so that they can win now.



User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby Show Me » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Sad thing is WF will get fired at the end of next season. So Tulane is going to waste a year waiting. The 2018 schedule will guarantee his third straight losing season. Something he has never experienced. He’s recruiting like he’s still in the Sunbelt. I guess no one will want this job with the HS facilities. You’re right we’re not a football school and will never be one. We were at least a baseball school but thats over. Perhaps we can tear down Devlin and become a basketball school.



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7183
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:31 pm

The 2018 OOC Schedule....at the bottom are the home and away games, they have not been "set" yet

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... qoaaDnjKVa


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10862
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby winwave » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:35 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.


All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.


We're not doing it because we have to. It's because we are reduced to doing that.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.


It's the facilities stupid!

greenphantom
Swell
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby greenphantom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 pm

galvezwave wrote:He was deplorable and set Tulane back 10 years. What are we talking about here anyway? Arguing which pig had the nicest hat ! It's all bad! Mods may delete this thread .


Toledo inherited a mess and at least upgraded the program slightly with summer workouts and he did recruit some NFL quality players. He wasn't good for Tulane but again, he at least had success as a HC at a different program, something Scelfo never did.



HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1349
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby HoustonWave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.


All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.


Stanford..Northwestern...USC...Notre Dame...SMU.....Vandy....Miami....Syracuse....TCU....the Military Acadamies...and other "Private" Universities all seem to do pretty damn well in College Athletics...the difference...Senior Management commitment to excellence...something lacking @ Tulane University, New Orleans, LA....


It will take time to instill excellence throughout Tulane, including athletics, after 18 years of Cowen's "mediocrity by design".


Tulane is the University of Louisiana

User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby wave97 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Don't know that we are recruiting GPA's. I haven't seen those listed when we get commitments. I know academics was the issue for a long time. It's not at this point. It is the long term losing and the pathetic excuse for D-1 facilities.


All you have to do is look at the Twitter profiles of the guys we offer, or that commit. Almost every one of them is listing their GPAs and ACT scores in their Twitter profile. And they're always in the mid 3.5-4.0 GPA range and 25+ on the ACT. That's way above NCAA minimums.


Stanford..Northwestern...USC...Notre Dame...SMU.....Vandy....Miami....Syracuse....TCU....the Military Acadamies...and other "Private" Universities all seem to do pretty damn well in College Athletics...the difference...Senior Management commitment to excellence...something lacking @ Tulane University, New Orleans, LA....


It will take time to instill excellence throughout Tulane, including athletics, after 18 years of Cowen's "mediocrity by design".

It goes back as far as Harry Truman's administration.



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1607
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby Wave QB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Terry Bowden would leave Akron to come to New Orleans in a heartbeat.



User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline

Re: Potential FB coaching candidates

Postby Bigschtick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:02 am

Show Me wrote:Sad thing is WF will get fired at the end of next season. So Tulane is going to waste a year waiting. The 2018 schedule will guarantee his third straight losing season. Something he has never experienced. He’s recruiting like he’s still in the Sunbelt. I guess no one will want this job with the HS facilities. You’re right we’re not a football school and will never be one. We were at least a baseball school but thats over. Perhaps we can tear down Devlin and become a basketball school.



"Never" is the operative word!


Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 15 guests