Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Took us only 950 posts on this thread to get a HC. If we'd held out just a bit longer, we'd have outdone the Tanner Lee thread. Hopefully we can move on to new threads soon!

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

posse wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Theres a misconception, or at least this thread includes posts that make the reader believe you cannot get into Tulane from a Junior College. What about Nick Montana? What about the dozens of others that have done so? We will allow it, just 20 of them in a year.

I'll believe it when the AD and Head Coach actually "SAYS IT'S TRUE". We had it back in the late 70's and early 80's, and Wally English abused it, and Tulane stopped it.
Yes. The Tulane community continues to pay for what dumb ass Wally English did over 30 years ago. As far as QBs, it looks like a couple good ones might be on the market--Trevor Knight leaving OU, and Kyle Allen leaving aTm. Allen would be just what WF would like.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

posse wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Theres a misconception, or at least this thread includes posts that make the reader believe you cannot get into Tulane from a Junior College. What about Nick Montana? What about the dozens of others that have done so? We will allow it, just 20 of them in a year.

I'll believe it when the AD and Head Coach actually "SAYS IT'S TRUE". We had it back in the late 70's and early 80's, and Wally English abused it, and Tulane stopped it.
Then how do you explain Nick Montana? Where did he come from?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
posse wrote:

I thought Montana came from riding pine at the Univ. of Washington. Perhaps there was a Juco stop between UW and Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
posse wrote:

I thought Montana came from riding pine at the Univ. of Washington. Perhaps there was a Juco stop between UW and Tulane.
You are right, he went to U-Dub, where he was going to play about as much as his brother Nate did did at Notre Dame. The "perhaps" is that he spent a year at Mount San Antonio Junior College. The point being, if you can accept Nick Montana, you can accept Junior College players. I think I remember a self imposed rule of a maximum per recruiting class and overall maximum on the roster.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

D, I think that was addressed upthread. It's not that we don't accept JCs, it's that Tulane is particular about what credits we'll accept.
God Bless Everyone!
DrBox
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
posse wrote:

Montana qualified out of college. That has always been the TU rule on JCs...you can take them if they qualified.
To get those JCs, you have to go to California, which we should. Note that to my knowledge, California has limited FCS schools, compared to their population, so some players with grades go to JCs and hope to transfer.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
posse wrote:

Yes. The Tulane community continues to pay for what dumb ass Wally English did over 30 years ago. As far as QBs, it looks like a couple good ones might be on the market--Trevor Knight leaving OU, and Kyle Allen leaving aTm. Allen would be just what WF would like.
I am not sure about the Allen kid...it is my understanding he was told to look at his transfer options, another spoiled, entitlement generation, all about "me" kinda player
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

Thank God Dannon did not listen to those who were pushing for Larry Coker. Roll Wave!
anEngineer
Riptide

For the record, I am not in favor of Tulane allowing wholesale JCs to build a team. I am OK with a few to fill holes and improve weak spots but that should be adequate for a good recruiter at a good school. It's like building an NFL roster, you build the team through the draft, not free agency. When I first posted about JCs, my concern was that Fritz may have gotten somewhat comfortable with wide open free agency at his previous schools and forgotten the demands of recruiting 20 high school kids every year. I hope and imagine WF and TD discussed this issue and agree on the guidelines.
greenphantom
Swell

anEngineer wrote:For the record, I am not in favor of Tulane allowing wholesale JCs to build a team. I am OK with a few to fill holes and improve weak spots but that should be adequate for a good recruiter at a good school. It's like building an NFL roster, you build the team through the draft, not free agency. When I first posted about JCs, my concern was that Fritz may have gotten somewhat comfortable with wide open free agency at his previous schools and forgotten the demands of recruiting 20 high school kids every year. I hope and imagine WF and TD discussed this issue and agree on the guidelines.
I'd be happy with 2 JCs per year plus a graduate transfer or 2.
JTLiuzza
Swell

anEngineer wrote:I hope and imagine WF and TD discussed this issue [JC's] and agree on the guidelines.
The policies and guidelines for admitting JUCOs are not determined between Coach and AD. That's a Fitz level thing. It wouldn't qualify as one of Goldring's "inherent challenges." JUCO admission policy is up to the prez if he's willing to deal with the backlash from the coneheads on the faculty.

I agree with you, though, in that it's a stopgap to plug holes here and there, not a strategy in lieu of sound HS recruiting. But to date we haven't even been able to do the stopgap thing.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
ExileWave
Surge

JTLiuzza wrote:
anEngineer wrote:I hope and imagine WF and TD discussed this issue [JC's] and agree on the guidelines.
The policies and guidelines for admitting JUCOs are not determined between Coach and AD. That's a Fitz level thing. It wouldn't qualify as one of Goldring's "inherent challenges." JUCO admission policy is up to the prez if he's willing to deal with the backlash from the coneheads on the faculty.

I agree with you, though, in that it's a stopgap to plug holes here and there, not a strategy in lieu of sound HS recruiting. But to date we haven't even been able to do the stopgap thing.
TCU has 9 JC players and several transfers from Nebraska, Florida and others. Texas JC credits are accepted by all schools in the state including Rice, TCU, and SMU. Probably Baylor also. The core classes are set up to transfer to 4 year colleges. Lone Star College in Houston has 4-5 campuses and over 90,000 students. And they go on to UT, A&M, TCU etc. The JC issue is Tulane being Tulane- the stubborn belief that we are "better" than everyone else. That has to change also.
Ruski
Swell

5 years later Mike Leach is 21-31 at WSU, now in the headlines calling his team a bunch of JC softball players haha. I'm very happy with Fritz but still wonder what might have been with a Leach led team being promoted into AAC, could've been crazy for the media hype train.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... te-cougars
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:5 years later Mike Leach is 21-31 at WSU, now in the headlines calling his team a bunch of JC softball players haha. I'm very happy with Fritz but still wonder what might have been with a Leach led team being promoted into AAC, could've been crazy for the media hype train.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... te-cougars
It would have been very entertaining to have Leach, and far better than nit wit CJ. But I suspect that Leach and Cowen would have co-existed for about an hour and a half before the fireworks would have started. I'm just glad we got Fritz now--I'm trying to erase my Tulane memory of the last 18 years.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Sonny Cumbie, Frank Wilson, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis, Mike Yurcich, Todd Orlando, and Brent Venables.

Edit: Jon Heacock and Chad Glasgow
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Sonny Cumbie, Frank Wilson, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis, Mike Yurcich, Todd Orlando, and Brent Venables.
Lane would be interesting.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Sonny Cumbie, Frank Wilson, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis, Mike Yurcich, Todd Orlando, and Brent Venables.
Me too. I edited the initial post to add Iowa State‘s and TCU’s defensive coordinators since they have more than earned consideration.
Show Me
Tsunami

Dannen would be a legend if he cut bait this weekend. Show Me Troy you got what it takes!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Me too. I edited the initial post to add Iowa State‘s and TCU’s defensive coordinators since they have more than earned consideration.
Great.
I’m looking forward to winwave and sader’s picks.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

Hud should be available by the end of the season.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
galvezwave
Swell

Lol. Willie ain't goin no where for a while.
Pepper
Swell

galvezwave wrote:Lol. Willie ain't goin no where for a while.

Knute Rockne couldnt win here.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

From the looks of things, my recommendations would b:

-Spanky as head coach and Our Gang as the staff

- Captain Kangaroo

-Mr. Green Jeans

You get my drift. All kidding aside, WHO would want the job.....
Bigschtick
Riptide

Why would anybody want to come here!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!