Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:What concerns me at this point is that guys like Meachum who are in a good spot will feel like they can wait a year and have better opportunities next year. If TCU and OK ST and App ST and WKY have good years again next year all of those coaches or OCs will have opportunities better than Tulane where it's a crapshoot as to facilities, commitment, academic restrictions, etc.

Just like the AD I look for us we end up with somebody who would in their present position not appear to be in line for a great opportunity in the near future or at a place where their success may be short lived and their star may diminish going forward. From the names we've heard, Lashee, Fritz, Carey (N Ill) seem to fit that bill. Or a coordinator at a bigger school who would otherwise not get a look by anybody else like a guy from Ole Miss or even Doug Nussmeir OC from Fla.

Or we end up with a real unknown but successful coach from a small program (like our AD.)
Very good post. I agree.
I just want to be able to be excited when we hire someone. I hadn't been able to do that since Bowden was hired.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Cajun F as a you are a U La La supporter knocking Tulane on your Ragin Cajun website every day.
I'd ask you for a link but:

1)There are no posts of mine on my Ragin Cajun website knocking Tulane everyday.
2)I'm pretty sure you're incapable of posting a link.
3)That was you in the mall trying to board the escalator, wasn't it.
4)Your post needs an edit.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
oliveandblue
Surge

We're currently one of weaker AAC football programs. If Tulane is able to rebuild and hire a first/second choice coach, it would speak volumes about the AAC brand relative to the other G5 conferences.
Jonathan
Riptide

Several on line reporting sites statethat he was offered and accepted the job. His resume looks good. I think if true he will be a winner for Tulane.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExileWave
Surge

Jonathan wrote:Several on line reporting sites statethat he was offered and accepted the job. His resume looks good. I think if true he will be a winner for Tulane.
'
No one named MEAGHAN coaches at TCU. :mrgreen:
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I mean seriously this is getting ridiculous.
Robert1969
Riptide

Dude, this was debunked yesterday afternoon. Keep up.

Oh, and what ExileWave said.
Jonathan
Riptide

Love all these negative posts. Can we be positive for Tulane.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Could this thread be removed along with the troll Jonathan?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Robert1969
Riptide

Jonathan, there is a difference between being negative and living in reality.
Wave755
Tsunami

ExileWave wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Several on line reporting sites statethat he was offered and accepted the job. His resume looks good. I think if true he will be a winner for Tulane.
'
No one named MEAGHAN coaches at TCU. :mrgreen:
Meacham(correct spelling) is co-offensive coordinator at TCU. :yes:
JerseyWave
Riptide

Tulane's job is to hire a coach who will be successful and then make it very difficult for them to leave when the offers come. That means paying competitive salaries to assistant coaches and support staff, not having ridiculous academic barriers, and a heavy investment bringing the football operations facility into the 21st century.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Scott Kushner ‏@ScottDKushner 3h3 hours ago
From conversations about #Tulane's FB search, it appears there's no fear of hiring someone who might leave for a bigger school after winning
Not sure how to take this. Does it mean the people their interviewing aren't the type that would move to a bigger school, or does it mean they're not afraid if the person they hire does leave after winning?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
SobeWave
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:
From conversations about #Tulane's FB search, it appears there's no fear of hiring someone who might leave for a bigger school after winning
Not sure how to take this. Does it mean the people their interviewing aren't the type that would move to a bigger school, or does it mean they're not afraid if the person they hire does leave after winning?

Not afraid if the person wins and leaves a la Bowden. I'm 100% fine with that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That's my hope as well. I hope its not "let's hire someone that's past his prime, so if he starts winning, he won't leave". I'm fine with a coach moving on if he leaves us better than when he got here.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Highwave
Low Tide

Agree. I hope we are looking for someone energetic and out to prove something - no matter the age necessarily. To that end, is anyone else alarmed that Meacham "was never a candidate"? He was OC of a top 10 offense in a conference that we are not-so-secretly hoping to join...

If he was considered, and the "sources" are playing games, but he was not a fit, fine. However, if he was never considered, I am more than a bit concerned. My guess is we will never know.
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:That's my hope as well. I hope its not "let's hire someone that's past his prime, so if he starts winning, he won't leave". I'm fine with a coach moving on if he leaves us better than when he got here.
I think you're stretching to interpret it negatively. It's pretty clear from Kushner's tweet that we are looking to win now and worry about what comes later at that point.
If we wanted to make a Toledo hire, it would say, "Tulane is afraid of hiring someone"... not Tulane "has no fear of hiring someone..."

Sometimes we are too negative for our own good. It's understandable, but we do assume the worst too often.
OUG
Riptide

Highwave wrote:Agree. I hope we are looking for someone energetic and out to prove something - no matter the age necessarily. To that end, is anyone else alarmed that Meacham "was never a candidate"? He was OC of a top 10 offense in a conference that we are not-so-secretly hoping to join...

If he was considered, and the "sources" are playing games, but he was not a fit, fine. However, if he was never considered, I am more than a bit concerned. My guess is we will never know.
I'm not concerned. We don't know who we are interviewing. Dannen isn't leaking names, so a lot of what you're hearing is coaches' agents trying to generate buzz for their people. If you're interviewing five people, Willie Fritz would definitely be on my list, if just to hear what his proposal/plan would be.

My guess is that we're looking at four other really talented people also. May want to look for connections to the Hayden Fry Coaching Tree. Since all of Dannen's experience is in Iowa, these are the circles in which he would have started asking around. So think of people that have connections to that universe of coaches, because those are the people he will be asking for advice and consultation. Good place to start.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It definitely means we won't pull a Scelfo.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Highwave wrote:Agree. I hope we are looking for someone energetic and out to prove something - no matter the age necessarily. To that end, is anyone else alarmed that Meacham "was never a candidate"? He was OC of a top 10 offense in a conference that we are not-so-secretly hoping to join...

If that turns out to be the case yes it is alarming. But like you said we'll probably never know.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
SobeWave
Ripple

OUG wrote:

I'm not concerned. We don't know who we are interviewing. Dannen isn't leaking names, so a lot of what you're hearing is coaches' agents trying to generate buzz for their people. If you're interviewing five people, Willie Fritz would definitely be on my list, if just to hear what his proposal/plan would be.

My guess is that we're looking at four other really talented people also. May want to look for connections to the Hayden Fry Coaching Tree. Since all of Dannen's experience is in Iowa, these are the circles in which he would have started asking around. So think of people that have connections to that universe of coaches, because those are the people he will be asking for advice and consultation. Good place to start.
So you're sayin Barry Alvarez has a chance.... Lincoln Riley technically falls under that tree. I'd be very surprised if he didn't interview with TD yesterday or today.
OUG
Riptide

SobeWave wrote:
OUG wrote:

So you're sayin Barry Alvarez has a chance.... Lincoln Riley technically falls under that tree. I'd be very surprised if he didn't interview with TD yesterday or today.
Reilly does, because even though he has only been under Stoops for a year, Stoops is one of the oldest and firmest branches of the tree.

Brent Venables is another. He would be my sleeper right now, because he is an obvious candidate and yet we've heard next to nothing about him. We would have to pay him a little over $2m I think -- which would be well worth it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
It's amazing how beaten down Tulane fans are. We're just used to anticipating the worst, Stockholm Syndrome at work.

It means we are going after the best candidates. It's a good thing.

Everyone should take a deep breath, because there's a responsible adult in charge now.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:

If that turns out to be the case yes it is alarming. But like you said we'll probably never know.
It's pretty obvious that we approached Meacham with significant interest and the interest was not returned. We can't fix everything in a matter of months, but Dannen will change things quickly.

We may not be able to get all the candidates we should be able to get assuming we weren't trying to distance ourselves from the nightmare of the past 15 years, but Dannen will find us a good coach, and next time around the Meacham's of the world might be begging to come to Tulane.
hounddog
Low Tide

I do not see this as obvious at all. According to numerous reports Meacham was out recruiting for TCU and is not a candidate for the job.

In non Tulane news I saw the gem on Coaching Search;

Louisiana-Monroe: The News Star reports that other coaches who have interviewed for the ULM head coaching job include Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, TCU running backs coach Curtis Luper, Alcorn State head coach Jay Hopson, Grambling State head coach Broderick Fobbs and former Tulane head coach Chris Scelfo. McNeese State head coach Matt Viator and Arkansas State offensive coordinator Walt Bell are considered finalists, but Bell has turned down an offer.