Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:If RR had stayed here as HC instead of going to Clemson, we'd have been P5, and he'd have his same monies.
This.
He would've gone to WVU two years after he became Tulane coach.

wavemania
Surge

RR took over a very down trodden Michigan team. Alumni didn't like him and got rid of him. The next coach won with his talent, but couldn't recruit. Sounds familiar? That is why Harbaugh is there now. Arizona was pretty much the same way. Don't forget he is playing top 20 teams weekly in his conference- Stanford, USC, UCLA to name a few. Most coaches wouldn't win half the games he has while at Arizona. I would love to see him come back to Tulane. But barring Tulane throwing tons of $$$ at him, that ship has sailed.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:If RR had stayed here as HC instead of going to Clemson, we'd have been P5, and he'd have his same monies.
This.
He would've gone to WVU two years after he became Tulane coach.
That's right. And Tulane would have been to 3 straight bowl games and the hottest non-BCS program in the country by far. We would have been ahead of TCU on the totem pole.

And RR would still have had the same career and bank account balance.
puffy
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
This.
Unsure of this projection. RR took the West Virginia job after only 2 seasons at Clemson. Probably would've left Tulane after 2 yrs as well to take that job (assuming his stock remained high).

After that, you're still 10 more seasons left before conference realignment happens, which means 10 more seasons for Cowen-Dickson to do their magic.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Who is Tulane going to land ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
greenie78
Riptide

Kevin Johns, Indiana offensive coordinator. They've had a top 5 offense in the country the last two seasons.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

No names but he gives you his philosophy on coaches.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... t_man.html
No one knew Nick Saban was even a candidate. He also had zero connections to LSU or the SEC. He was available even though no one knew it at the time. And Emmert and Joe Dean shrewdly lured him away with an offer he couldn't refuse. The $1.25 million annual salary they awarded Saban nearly doubled his $700,000 salary at Michigan State.

"The fact of the matter is I'm going to try to find somebody who has a plan to win here," Dannen said. "Regardless of their style or what their history is, the head coach needs to have a great plan."

Dannen relayed these thoughts to Tulane players when he met with them on Thursday night. He asked their thoughts and opinions on the coaching situation. Many suggested names.

"I told the players, 'Don't give me names. Give me characteristics and traits,'" Dannen said. "Because when we start focusing on names and you get lost in what do they really bring in. My priority is winning. We shouldn't rule anything out in the interests of finding the right person."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Dino Babers to Syracuse
OUG
Riptide

Babers to Syracuse.

We are actually in great shape. There are still lots of quality coaches on the market and a shrinking number of jobs we are in direct competition for.

In competition with (in terms of price range):
BYU
ECU

Available (in price range):
Lincoln Riley
Scott Satterfield
Rod Carey
Brent Venables
Doug Meacham
Sonny Cumbie
Willie Fritz
Infinite FCS successful head coaches
Infinite P5 coordintors

This is much more about evaluation than availability or the idea that good coaches don't want to work here. There's plenty of lobsters in the tank, we need to pick the right one.
sader24
Tsunami

I know Frank Wilson wants this job from I've heard from inside the LSU Athletic Department.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: How can a question be BS? How can Tulane be looking for a coach if it doesn't have an AD to run the process?
Because they have a Pres and a Board who can run the process.
No. Absolutely not. The President and the Board are not qualified to run a head football coaching search and have no business doing that. It's entirely inappropriate, not to mention that it completely undermines whoever they intend to hire as AD. It was their job to get the AD in place in enough time to run the process but they failed, as usual.

Frankly, it's an absurd suggestion. You are wrong again.
Nah. JJ has an inflated ego that only governs himself. Delegation of tasks which is crucial for management personnel escapes him because he can not fathom anyone doing it better than him.
ROLL WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The two best candidates are available:

Monken
Brohm
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Robert1969
Riptide

puffy wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
This.
Unsure of this projection. RR took the West Virginia job after only 2 seasons at Clemson. Probably would've left Tulane after 2 yrs as well to take that job (assuming his stock remained high).

After that, you're still 10 more seasons left before conference realignment happens, which means 10 more seasons for Cowen-Dickson to do their magic.
1. Yes. RR would likely have left for W Virginia after the 2000 season. But as has been pointed out: so? Then Tulane would gave had four straight winning seasons, three straight bowl seasons. And, it would not have been unimaginable that Tulane would have had three straight Top 25 appearances. Tulane would have been one of the hottest jobs on the market, and we could have reeled in a good coach to replace RR. Lather, rinse, repeat. Works for your hair, and works for running a good football program.

2. WRONG about waiting ten years for conference realignment to take place. Two years later Miami, BC, and Va Tech left Big East for ACC. Big East added Louisville, Cincy, and South Florida. A successful Tulane program could likely have taken Cincy's place in the Big East or Big East could have expanded to nine teams to include Tulane.
Green Wave
Swell

OUG wrote:Babers to Syracuse.

We are actually in great shape. There are still lots of quality coaches on the market and a shrinking number of jobs we are in direct competition for.

BYU
ECU

Lincoln Riley
Scott Satterfield
Rod Carey
Brent Venables
Doug Meacham
Sonny Cumbie
Willie Fritz
Infinite P5 coordintors

This is much more about evaluation than availability or the idea that good coaches don't want to work here. There's plenty of lobsters in the tank, we need to pick the right one.
So where is Tulane classified and what will it take for the Wave to bring in a coach? I mean this point in time. What is our pool of coaches that will consider working for Tulane now?
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I know Frank Wilson wants this job from I've heard from inside the LSU Athletic Department.
I've had people call me pushing him.
He and CJ are too similar in that neither had ever been a coordinator and were known as recruiting guys for the most part. It may not be true but because of what we just went through in the last 4 years I don't see Wilson getting hire here.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

Mike Yurcich?
Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich is on the short list of candidates for the Tulane football head coaching position and may interview for the position next week, according to a source.

Newly appointed Tulane Athletic Director Troy Dannen is compiling a list of potential candidates, with many of them having ties to the Big 12 Conference.

Yurcich's hiring at Oklahoma State in 2013 as the offensive coordinator has resulted in a great deal of success for the Cowboys offense. "In his first year at OSU, the Cowboys ranked 14th nationally by averaging 39.1 points per game. OSU scored 40 or more points six times and 50 or more points four times," the school's website says.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ma_st.html
OUG
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:

BYU
ECU

Lincoln Riley
Scott Satterfield
Rod Carey
Brent Venables
Doug Meacham
Sonny Cumbie
Willie Fritz
Infinite P5 coordintors

So where is Tulane classified and what will it take for the Wave to bring in a coach? I mean this point in time. What is our pool of coaches that will consider working for Tulane now?
Um, all of the coaches I just listed? Let's assume we are willing to pay $1.4-1.5m for a coach. There are two other open jobs right now that would pay that. There are umpteen qualified coaches that would lunge at that. Sunbelt/MAC coaches make like $700k at absolute most, usually a lot less.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: How can a question be BS? How can Tulane be looking for a coach if it doesn't have an AD to run the process?
Because they have a Pres and a Board who can run the process.
No. Absolutely not. The President and the Board are not qualified to run a head football coaching search and have no business doing that. It's entirely inappropriate, not to mention that it completely undermines whoever they intend to hire as AD. It was their job to get the AD in place in enough time to run the process but they failed, as usual.

Frankly, it's an absurd suggestion. You are wrong again.
Nah. JJ has an inflated ego that only governs himself. Delegation of tasks which is crucial for management personnel escapes him because he can not fathom anyone doing it better than him.
You are a special kind of idiot JTS.

If the President and Board had conducted the search for the head football coach, that would be the literal exact opposite of delegation.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
puffy wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
This.

1. Yes. RR would likely have left for W Virginia after the 2000 season. But as has been pointed out: so? Then Tulane would gave had four straight winning seasons, three straight bowl seasons. And, it would not have been unimaginable that Tulane would have had three straight Top 25 appearances. Tulane would have been one of the hottest jobs on the market, and we could have reeled in a good coach to replace RR. Lather, rinse, repeat. Works for your hair, and works for running a good football program.

2. WRONG about waiting ten years for conference realignment to take place. Two years later Miami, BC, and Va Tech left Big East for ACC. Big East added Louisville, Cincy, and South Florida. A successful Tulane program could likely have taken Cincy's place in the Big East or Big East could have expanded to nine teams to include Tulane.
Yep.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:

BYU
ECU

Lincoln Riley
Scott Satterfield
Rod Carey
Brent Venables
Doug Meacham
Sonny Cumbie
Willie Fritz
Infinite P5 coordintors

Yes that's a great question. Exactly who is willing to try and clean up the epic mess your best friend Rick D created and profited handsomely off of.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:I know Frank Wilson wants this job from I've heard from inside the LSU Athletic Department.
I've had people call me pushing him.
He and CJ are too similar in that neither had ever been a coordinator and were known as recruiting guys for the most part. It may not be true but because of what we just went through in the last 4 years I don't see Wilson getting hire here.
We've got adults running the process now. We won't even consider Frank Wilson unless the Cowen/Dickson stink is enough to scare off every other candidate, which does remain a possibility.
posse
High Tide

Not all successful coordinators become successful headcoaches...Crap shoot....If Tulane is in the 2 million range, they should be able to get a proven head coach......Certainly Jeff Brohm WKU and Todd Monken USM should at least get an interview......
Last edited by posse on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OUG
Riptide

Yurcich has too much risk from my perspective, but I'd be open. I would much prefer Riley, and he is very much in the mix (or should be). I could see BYU chasing him. I could see Arizona chasing him if RR goes to South Carolina. ECU clearly wants him but it would be a stab in the back to his mentor.

I think ECU hires Satterfield and we hire Riley. But who knows. I'd be fine with Brohm too. Don't know about Monken.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:Yurcich has too much risk from my perspective, but I'd be open. I would much prefer Riley, and he is very much in the mix (or should be). I could see BYU chasing him. I could see Arizona chasing him if RR goes to South Carolina. ECU clearly wants him but it would be a stab in the back to his mentor.

I think ECU hires Satterfield and we hire Riley. But who knows. I'd be fine with Brohm too. Don't know about Monken.
Would be very happy if we ended up with Riley.
Wavetime
Swell

I like Satterfield, a proven winner.