Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:Oh no!
Look who's on the shortlist!
http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/Frank-Wil ... e-41425365
So recruiting guru with deep Louisiana ties and no experience above positions coach?

Might as well keep CJ another two years and save $2 million.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I swear stuff gets written on boards like this one, then the rumor starts, then someone in the press reports it and it takes on a life of it's own. Not saying this definitely happened with the Rob Ryan thing, but it's possible. I know it's happened in the past, both here and on Nola.com.

Rob Ryan being hired (or really even considered) would be the ultimate sign of how bad things are in our Athletics Department.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

puffy wrote:
So recruiting guru with deep Louisiana ties and no experience above positions coach?

Gawd...if we are going this route I would prefer Winton Marsalis..at least we would be entertained
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Rob Ryan being hired (or really even considered) would be the ultimate sign of how bad things are in our Athletics Department.
Which (regrettably) lends a certain amount of credence to the rumor.
ExileWave
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:
puffy wrote:

Gawd...if we are going this route I would prefer Winton Marsalis..at least we would be entertained
My thoughts exactly. Another CJ except probably better recruiter. But I could be a great recruiter at LSU. Tulane is another story. Ryan...Wilson...the cclown show continues. Only at Tulane are ridiculous names released.
TU23
High Tide

If it comes from Fletcher Mackel just ignore it. He just tweeted an NBA trade rumor from the comments section of a blog. Also be very cognizant of how the article is written. Several of them start with: sources say X and Y could be a candidate. Then, in the next paragraph, there are candidates listed like Frank Wilson (in the Feldman article). No sources told him that. That is his guess otherwise it would be: Sources say W, X, Y and Z are candidates.
OUG
Riptide

We are not going to hire Rob Ryan. That is just someone trying to sabotage Burke's candidacy by souring people on her. That is someone at the athletic department that she has crossed trying to play game of thrones here.

We're also not going to hire Frank Wilson. I'm sure he'll be on some kind of list, whatever. He was probably on Arnie Fielkow's list. Fine. But he is not getting hired.

The real candidates will be people like Babers, Fritz, and P5 offensive coordinators. When you hear names like that, take note.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:The fans are acting en masse bc their season ticket prices went up by 4x to 8x depending on where they sit. I was paying $300 for 4 seats, now I'm paying $1050. People with better seats than I have seen even more dramatic increases. When you raise prices that drastically you had better provide the value or long time season ticket holders who renewed out of habit will bail. This is what is happening, the last 2000 or so that have renewed for 40 years no matter what have started to walk. Not to mention the people putting up $1500+ just for the right to buy tickets. Their financial plan for the stadium depends on winning football.
It's just the natural course of things. When we reach year 4 and the coach is clearly a failure the fans start threatening to bail. Fortunately we have the recent Toledo debacle when they ignored us and then had to fire him mid season. Looks like they learned their lesson. Just like there are people paying more there are people paying and donating less.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

LSU Law Greenie
Surge

And this is why you have to move quick in this business.

From football scoop

UCF: Brandon Helwig who does an excellent job covering UCF for UCFSports.com reports tonight that the four coaches Danny White intends to interview for the position are the same four we wrote about Tuesday: Dino Babers, Geoff Collins, Randy Shannon & Gene Chizik.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
ExileWave
Surge

LSU Law Greenie wrote:And this is why you have to move quick in this business.

From football scoop

UCF: Brandon Helwig who does an excellent job covering UCF for UCFSports.com reports tonight that the four coaches Danny White intends to interview for the position are the same four we wrote about Tuesday: Dino Babers, Geoff Collins, Randy Shannon & Gene Chizik.
As TPS said, Tulane could have hired White 3 months ago and already have a coach lined up to announce Monday morning.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Heard some info. Not sure if its already been posted, I don't have time to look. Its down to Burke and 1 other who will meet with the President Monday or Tuesday. Burke has all but secured an impact football coach and volleyball coach who will come if she is named AD. Sounds like you have 2 excellent candidates for the AD job.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Would i want wilson, probably not but be careful to just label him another CJ. There r recruitment oriented coaches who win (Miles or FSU Bowden), the issue is all about hiring the right assistants and making macro changes based on your evaluations of overall scheme, personel and coaches. Meaning, you don't need to be some great x and o guy but if you are not then you need to be a great evaluator of people and overall scheme.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

alumniwave wrote:Heard some info. Not sure if its already been posted, I don't have time to look. Its down to Burke and 1 other who will meet with the President Monday or Tuesday. Burke has all but secured an impact football coach and volleyball coach who will come if she is named AD. Sounds like you have 2 excellent candidates for the AD job.
Sure
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

alumniwave wrote:Heard some info. Not sure if its already been posted, I don't have time to look. Its down to Burke and 1 other who will meet with the President Monday or Tuesday. Burke has all but secured an impact football coach and volleyball coach who will come if she is named AD. Sounds like you have 2 excellent candidates for the AD job.

Lol! How could Burke have a secured an impact football coach? What's your definition of an impact football coach? We want a Football coach that will win!
puffy
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote:Would i want wilson, probably not but be careful to just label him another CJ. There r recruitment oriented coaches who win (Miles or FSU Bowden), the issue is all about hiring the right assistants and making macro changes based on your evaluations of overall scheme, personel and coaches. Meaning, you don't need to be some great x and o guy but if you are not then you need to be a great evaluator of people and overall scheme.
To me, being a successful coordinator is a greater indicator of future head coaching success than being a great recruiter. If I had the choice between the two, give me the successful coordinator 10 out of 10 times. You can usually find a solid recruiting coordinator; winning and winning constantly is always the best recruiter anyway. If LSU was a losing program, Frank Wilson would be having a much harder time getting the Dupres and Fournettes of the world.
Jonathan
Riptide

What about getting Tommy Bowden back 12-0 Number 7 in the nation
RobertM320
Green Wave

Oh, good Lord, what are they smoking on the YOGGIE board?
DCGreenie
Post subject: ERIC PRICE AS HEAD TULANE COACH.....PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 am
Navigator Level

He called a good game last night when he had a QB with flexibility (a pale ghost of Shawn King appeared in the backfield with the draw and one bootleg play) that he could work with. He has proven himself in the last game to be head coach material. As for offensive coordinator, we should make Lane Kiffin an offer he cannot refuse. I know that Eric will rise to the challenge.....
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ExileWave wrote:

From football scoop

As TPS said, Tulane could have hired White 3 months ago and already have a coach lined up to announce Monday morning.
Thanks. This is my biggest frustration with Tulane. Always reactive never proactive. This isn't rocket science yet somehow we need to form a committee that may take weeks to assemble then weeks to interview ( and in some cases not interview) when others we compete directly against just go out and hire the best. And this is from a school that is supposed to be run by bright people at least brighter than UCF.
Like I said before I could run this thing better from my sofa on my cell phone than what seems to take place for every coaching search here.
It's insanity watching this stuff happen over and over.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
ExileWave wrote:

From football scoop

Thanks. This is my biggest frustration with Tulane. Always reactive never proactive. This isn't rocket science yet somehow we need to form a committee that may take weeks to assemble then weeks to interview ( and in some cases not interview) when others we compete directly against just go out and hire the best. And this is from a school that is supposed to be run by bright people at least brighter than UCF.
Like I said before I could run this thing better from my sofa on my cell phone than what seems to take place for every coaching search here.
When Fitts was hired a year ago he should have come in and told Dickson retire then and bring in his own guy. CJ should have run off Price last year as well. Had that taken place it would be interesting to see how this season would have went.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
ExileWave wrote:

From football scoop

But that is the not-so-secret secret. Tulane is not led by particularly bright people. Oh they definitely think they are, but no organization with a history of failure, like these clowns, can credibly consider themselves even average in the intellect department.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
ExileWave wrote:

From football scoop

But that is the not-so-secret secret. Tulane is not led by particularly bright people. Oh they definitely think they are, but no organization with a history of failure, like these clowns, can credibly consider themselves even average in the intellect department.
Right. And to make that point look at this stat:

This year the AAC has a record eight bowl-eligible teams and East Carolina can make it nine by beating Cincinnati today. Wow!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Gonna throw a name in the mix. He's not my first choice but Tulane could do worse.
The guy knows how to build a program and is familiar with the area (gulf coast including La).

Joey Jones
http://www.usajaguars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=809
GreenGears
Low Tide

We need someone with experience as a coordinator at a real program, preferably an up and comer who has experience in a winning organization, is a competent coach and is looking for the opportunity to take the next step as a head coach. We don't need a failed head coach from elsewhere.
TU23
High Tide

GreenGears wrote:We need someone with experience as a coordinator at a real program, preferably an up and comer who has experience in a winning organization, is a competent coach and is looking for the opportunity to take the next step as a head coach. We don't need a failed head coach from elsewhere.
+1. No re-treads. No position coaches. No recently fired NFL coaches. A coach with his star on the rise (Campbell or Babers) or a successful, young OC (Riley or Applewhite).