CJ today=clueless and disgusting

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Every time he opens his mouth, he makes a damn fool of himself!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

An overmatched coach who is not HC material. A very good man, but not cut to be a head coach at any level, certainly not at the FBS level. Deer and headlights come to mind during games and at pressers and coaches shows.

When CJ was hired, he joked that he couldn't get into Tulane when he was a player. He shouldn't have gotten the job as a coach, either.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:An overmatched coach who is not HC material. A very good man, but not cut to be a head coach at any level, certainly not at the FBS level. Deer and headlights come to mind during games and at pressers and coaches shows.

When CJ was hired, he joked that he couldn't get into Tulane when he was a player. He shouldn't have gotten the job as a coach, either.
Yup it's over. Every day he stays employed is another day wasted, another day where we get further behind the G5 teams looking to move up in conference in order to have true sustainability.

BTW, I missed the section of the Playbook that discussed proper excuse making, I thought we were now judging by wins and losses.
Jaxwave
Swell

1. He said they are caught by surprise in moving up to AAC and were recruiting to a CUSA level. Doesn't he try to get the best players available no matter what conference you're in?
2. He implies his backs only know the plays designed for them instead of the whole playbook. Didn't we simplify the offense this year? Can't the backs learn all 6 running plays?
3. He says nobody plays three option teams in a row in a season. Uh, Coach, you aren't either.

This guy is just not smart enough to be a head coach or even a coordinator. Can you imagine him trying to call plays? He only needs to be smart enough to hire coaches good enough to overcome his deficiencies but he falls short there also. If there is no change this offseason, it will be a joke.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Ya think the so-called money people are thinking to themselves that Dickson was a
complete idiot in extending this guys contract after one season with some wins over CUSA level talent? Now someone has to pay big time to get rid of this abject failure as a head coach. It should be Dickson, worse A.D ever.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

CJ has lost his team, and the fans, neither of which believe in him. If he's retained, the University is giving a signal that we're simply going though the motions. For this reason, among many others, we need Fitts to step up, hire Dickson's replacement ASAP, and let the new AD fire CJ and hire our next HC. If you argue that RD isn't retiring until May, well then let him work out his time, but with a new AD in place. Remember, RD gave CJ a raise and extension, which means terminating him will be expensive.

Every day that we go forward with RD and CJ brings us further and further from being competitive in the AAC and in FBS.
wave97
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:1. He said they are caught by surprise in moving up to AAC and were recruiting to a CUSA level. Doesn't he try to get the best players available no matter what conference you're in?
2. He implies his backs only know the plays designed for them instead of the whole playbook. Didn't we simplify the offense this year? Can't the backs learn all 6 running plays?
3. He says nobody plays three option teams in a row in a season. Uh, Coach, you aren't either.

This guy is just not smart enough to be a head coach or even a coordinator. Can you imagine him trying to call plays? He only needs to be smart enough to hire coaches good enough to overcome his deficiencies but he falls short there also. If there is no change this offseason, it will be a joke.
Playing three option teams in a row would actually be a benefit to our defense. This is lost on CJ!
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

What a mess! I literally can't listen to him speak anymore
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:CJ has lost his team, and the fans, neither of which believe in him. If he's retained, the University is giving a signal that we're simply going though the motions. For this reason, among many others, we need Fitts to step up, hire Dickson's replacement ASAP, and let the new AD fire CJ and hire our next HC. If you argue that RD isn't retiring until May, well then let him work out his time, but with a new AD in place. Remember, RD gave CJ a raise and extension, which means terminating him will be expensive.

Every day that we go forward with RD and CJ brings us further and further from being competitive in the AAC and in FBS.
I think the buyout is the issue right now, another massive RD blunder.

"When you recruit that, and then all of a sudden we get thrust into this other league"

Are you kidding me, the announcement to the Big East was made in November of 2012. He is just way over his head, even in press conferences.
TXWave88
Surge

Does anyone know the buy out? even a ball park number?
TU23
High Tide

This has officially hit shit show status.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

phpBB [video]
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:CJ has lost his team, and the fans, neither of which believe in him. If he's retained, the University is giving a signal that we're simply going though the motions. For this reason, among many others, we need Fitts to step up, hire Dickson's replacement ASAP, and let the new AD fire CJ and hire our next HC. If you argue that RD isn't retiring until May, well then let him work out his time, but with a new AD in place. Remember, RD gave CJ a raise and extension, which means terminating him will be expensive.

I think the buyout is the issue right now, another massive RD blunder.

"When you recruit that, and then all of a sudden we get thrust into this other league"

Are you kidding me, the announcement to the Big East was made in November of 2012. He is just way over his head, even in press conferences.
Exactly and as jaxwave posted above you should always be recruiting to get the best players available no matter conference affiliation. It is CJ who took the podium and said we would win a NC like Miami did. You don't do that recruiting to CUSA levels.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

What else is new. CJ is out of his league. Fire him today.
sader24
Tsunami

He knowingly recruited lesser players?? I mean wouldn't he want to recruit Big East level players in CUSA so he could win the conference easily. Did he just admit to chasing mediocrity? This guy is so out of his depth it's unreal. This thing is unraveling quickly. Nothing he says anymore makes even the slightest bit of sense.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:He knowingly recruited lesser players?? I mean wouldn't he want to recruit Big East level players in CUSA so he could win the conference easily. Did he just admit to chasing mediocrity? This guy is so out of his depth it's unreal. This thing is unraveling quickly. Nothing he says anymore makes even the slightest bit of sense.
Of course, but remember none of this is his fault. He was set up to fail by those who wanted to prioritize the Cowen/Dickson/Tulane Model. At another university, a guy unqualified to handle these situations wouldn't be hired in the first place. At another university, he'd be fired and not forced to make these public comments which try to gloss over the problems, a PR strategy that comes from his bosses. You can't dismiss the fact that "this conference is too hard for us" just came out of the mouth of the President of the university.

CJ is the symptom, not the problem. At least he's going to come out of this with some decent money.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote: CJ is the symptom, not the problem. At least he's going to come out of this with some decent money.
CJ is a good man, and Tulane may end up being the best thing that ever happened to him. I don't begrudge him a penny of the money. But I do think he is over-matched as a HC, and needs to be replaced no later than year end.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: CJ is the symptom, not the problem. At least he's going to come out of this with some decent money.
CJ is a good man, and Tulane may end up being the best thing that ever happened to him. I don't begrudge him a penny of the money. But I do think he is over-matched as a HC, and needs to be replaced no later than year end.
Not sure anyone would disagree at this point.
COChip
Low Tide

As if jumping from CUSA to the AAC was like joining the SEC. What a total loser......and I don't feel the need to constantly throw in the qualifier that "CJ is a good man, but". I don't really care. He's being paid handsomely for the inept job he's doing now. What if, by miracle, we were ever invited to join a P5 conf? Would we tell them to wait until we could recruit enough of those types of players? Idiocy.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

COChip wrote:As if jumping from CUSA to the AAC was like joining the SEC. What a total loser......and I don't feel the need to constantly throw in the qualifier that "CJ is a good man, but". I don't really care. He's being paid handsomely for the inept job he's doing now. What if, by miracle, we were ever invited to join a P5 conf? Would we tell them to wait until we could recruit enough of those types of players? Idiocy.
Again, we cannot blame CJ when the same excuse came verbatim from the University President.
DrBox
Riptide

What happened was he got his head handed to him the first 2/3 of his first year; the team settled down and was more competitive at the end. But he went out and got some transfers.
In year 2, we make a bowl playing the worst schedule ever. He then says "this is in hand" and cuts spring practice short, stops bothering with transfers, and tightens up the recruiting to just s La and s Fla. Coaches replaced with guys who were hanging around.
Year 3 should have been a wake up call, but he doubled down. Insular recruiting, no transfers, cut spring practice short again (backtracked after a mini-uproar and used last week for niche plays, like goal line offense). Didn't bother with a search to replace assistants.
JTLiuzza
Swell

COChip wrote:As if jumping from CUSA to the AAC was like joining the SEC. What a total loser......and I don't feel the need to constantly throw in the qualifier that "CJ is a good man, but". I don't really care. He's being paid handsomely for the inept job he's doing now. What if, by miracle, we were ever invited to join a P5 conf? Would we tell them to wait until we could recruit enough of those types of players? Idiocy.
Thank you. It's old and unnecessary. Not surprising though. But that's another issue.

Coach Johnson is way out of his depth. Obvious. But we need to remember that he was ALL WE COULD GET.

Is that bronze statue of Cowen ready yet for a prominent display on St. Charles Avenue? Somebody phone Goldring and get a status report.
Last edited by JTLiuzza on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

Goldring must love losing!
greenphantom
Swell

It really is pathetic that CJ received an extension all the way thru 2020 just for finishing 7-6 in a Sun Belt type conference. I can understand a raise but that is beyond idiotic. We are screwed.