CJ today=clueless and disgusting

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:It really is pathetic that CJ received an extension all the way thru 2020 just for finishing 7-6 in a Sun Belt type conference. I can understand a raise but that is beyond idiotic. We are screwed.
It wasn't just that he went 7-6, it's that he "bought in" to the Tulane Model. He employs Rick Dickson's friends, he spouts the company line faithfully and talks about how wonderful Cowen and Dickson are. So substantial job security at a higher salary then you'd be able to obtain elsewhere is offered in return.

It's just a disgusting, if not incompetent, way to operate.

Bham Wave
Ripple

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: CJ is the symptom, not the problem. At least he's going to come out of this with some decent money.
CJ is a good man, and Tulane may end up being the best thing that ever happened to him. I don't begrudge him a penny of the money. But I do think he is over-matched as a HC, and needs to be replaced no later than year end.
I would like to know where this "CJ is a good man" narrative has come from. Is it something that has just been said so many times on various message boards that it is now true. I have never met him so I can't relay any personal experience with the man. I will say that I know plenty of parents of current and former players who would not agree with the "good man" party line. In fact they would believe in quite the opposite.
wave97
Swell

I truly hope that there is a sense of urgency on the part of the Admin to hire and empower a skilled AD.
There are only a few things in my life that can equate to the feeling of liberation from being stuck with a soul crushingly poor position coach whose whole idea of teaching pass rush techniques was saying "use your hands". That was it! "Use your hands".
After Jackie Sherrill left Pitt and Bear Bryant retired from Alabama, Tulane picked up some young coaches from those two programs. The following Spring we were taught how to play the position in such a way that there was an immediate translation to performance on the field. The effort and the buy-in on the field came as a direct result of the quality of coaching.
I can only hope that the AD that is brought in will identify the coaching weaknesses and be given the authority to take action immediately. This Offense needs to be liberated from career cast-off coaches ASAP.
sader24
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:What happened was he got his head handed to him the first 2/3 of his first year; the team settled down and was more competitive at the end. But he went out and got some transfers.
In year 2, we make a bowl playing the worst schedule ever. He then says "this is in hand" and cuts spring practice short, stops bothering with transfers, and tightens up the recruiting to just s La and s Fla. Coaches replaced with guys who were hanging around.
Year 3 should have been a wake up call, but he doubled down. Insular recruiting, no transfers, cut spring practice short again (backtracked after a mini-uproar and used last week for niche plays, like goal line offense). Didn't bother with a search to replace assistants.

This is about as close to an accurate synopsis of the situation as there is.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:
DrBox wrote:What happened was he got his head handed to him the first 2/3 of his first year; the team settled down and was more competitive at the end. But he went out and got some transfers.
In year 2, we make a bowl playing the worst schedule ever. He then says "this is in hand" and cuts spring practice short, stops bothering with transfers, and tightens up the recruiting to just s La and s Fla. Coaches replaced with guys who were hanging around.
Year 3 should have been a wake up call, but he doubled down. Insular recruiting, no transfers, cut spring practice short again (backtracked after a mini-uproar and used last week for niche plays, like goal line offense). Didn't bother with a search to replace assistants.

This is about as close to an accurate synopsis of the situation as there is.
Or he hired the guy his boss (who gave him a long contract extension) told him to hire.

We saw this with Toledo and the WR coach. This is how Tulane operates.
sader24
Tsunami

The offense lies at CJ's feet. I'm not saying Price is any good, but if you don't think CJ has been meddling constantly from Day 1, telling him when to get conservative and what offense to run you aren't paying attention. I also know for a fact CJ has been the one demanding we play as many RB's as we do. The rest of the coaching staff has wanted to focus on Hilliard and Badie and Thompson when he's healthy, but have been told to find playing time for everyone. Dartez and Converse were no more talented than Hilliard and Badie and we saw how well those two produced together. You cannot tell me they are paying CJ $1 million a year and they wouldn't allow him to change OC's this offseason if he wanted to with Dickson knowingly on the way out. No way.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:The offense lies at CJ's feet. I'm not saying Price is any good, but if you don't think CJ has been meddling constantly from Day 1, telling him when to get conservative and what offense to run you aren't paying attention. I also know for a fact CJ has been the one demanding we play as many RB's as we do. The rest of the coaching staff has wanted to focus on Hilliard and Badie and Thompson when he's healthy, but have been told to find playing time for everyone. Dartez and Converse were no more talented than Hilliard and Badie and we saw how well those two produced together. You cannot tell me they are paying CJ $1 million a year and they wouldn't allow him to change OC's this offseason if he wanted to with Dickson knowingly on the way out. No way.
That is what I believe. I understand it's far fetched, because it does seem completely absurd. But it also follows a pattern with Cowen/Dickson. And is there anything about Tulane Athletics that is not "absurd"?

And I think the flip side to the argument goes, if this is CJ's big career opportunity did he really choose not to even try to find a special teams coach?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:The offense lies at CJ's feet. I'm not saying Price is any good, but if you don't think CJ has been meddling constantly from Day 1, telling him when to get conservative and what offense to run you aren't paying attention. I also know for a fact CJ has been the one demanding we play as many RB's as we do. The rest of the coaching staff has wanted to focus on Hilliard and Badie and Thompson when he's healthy, but have been told to find playing time for everyone. Dartez and Converse were no more talented than Hilliard and Badie and we saw how well those two produced together. You cannot tell me they are paying CJ $1 million a year and they wouldn't allow him to change OC's this offseason if he wanted to with Dickson knowingly on the way out. No way.
I just don't think CJ has any clue what he is doing with anything. RD gave him a shot, a raise and an extension when no one would so he isn't going to stand up to him regarding Price. He probably figures keeping Price carried the least risk, meaning say he hired a new OC, if he failed he would not only have pi$$ed off fans etc. but also his boss. Since he is at TU he knows protecting your job is best done by playing nice and not necessarily playing well. He clearly did not anticipate the new AD being hired which may (hopefully IMO) be his downfall.