Toledo was let go homecoming week

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bham Wave
Ripple

Dare to dream

DrBox
Riptide

Needs to happen.
sader24
Tsunami

Heard a rumor this week that if we got blown out this week they were going to pull the trigger. I don't believe it, but I heard it from someone who is around over there.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

When was the last time Tulane won its HC game?
I can't recall off the top of my head.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
waveclem
Surge

tpstulane wrote:When was the last time Tulane won its HC game?
Not sure, but I doubt we win it this year. UConn is 4-5 coming off a victory against East Carolina.
wave to em
Surge

waveclem wrote:
tpstulane wrote:When was the last time Tulane won its HC game?
Not sure, but I doubt we win it this year. UConn is 4-5 coming off a victory against East Carolina.
Homecoming 2 years ago vs north texas.
CJ is terrible
That is all
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
DrBox
Riptide

Toledo lost the team. He actually lost it in his 2nd year and never got it back. They put it in a real non-effort against UTEP in 2011 that forced the severance. (and I think leaving 3 TOs in his pocket in the Syracuse game the week before didn't help either).
CJ hasn't lost his team. They are just poorly coached and lack sufficient talent. He's recruited some good players, but too many fillers who can't play. His recruiting is too narrow.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DrBox wrote:Toledo lost the team. He actually lost it in his 2nd year and never got it back. They put it in a real non-effort against UTEP in 2011 that forced the severance. (and I think leaving 3 TOs in his pocket in the Syracuse game the week before didn't help either).
CJ hasn't lost his team. They are just poorly coached and lack sufficient talent. He's recruited some good players, but too many fillers who can't play. His recruiting is too narrow.
That's true. Our team has no depth outside of RB, and our inability to get JUCOs limits our ability to copy Memphis' blueprint. It's like we are trapped in a twilight deadzone where the admin knows what it takes to succeed, but it won't make the appropriate adjustments to allow us to do what it takes. CJ was bound to fail, and, barring administrative changes, our next coach is bound to fail too.
WaveCan
Low Tide

44 pts in last 4 games. Take away our offensive outbursts against a 1-aa school and a winless school and that's 61 points in 6 games. In comparison OK State scored 70 today and OU scored 62. Houston put up 34 in a shutout of a SEC school.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DrBox wrote:Toledo lost the team. He actually lost it in his 2nd year and never got it back. They put it in a real non-effort against UTEP in 2011 that forced the severance. (and I think leaving 3 TOs in his pocket in the Syracuse game the week before didn't help either).
That's true. Our team has no depth outside of RB, and our inability to get JUCOs limits our ability to copy Memphis' blueprint. It's like we are trapped in a twilight deadzone where the admin knows what it takes to succeed, but it won't make the appropriate adjustments to allow us to do what it takes. CJ was bound to fail, and, barring administrative changes, our next coach is bound to fail too.
I am not going to get into the JUCO debate, but it is time that people noticed the "State of Tulane" ain't got the talent depth needed to be competitive at the FBS level and the borders need to be expanded...but I do have a JUCO question, if Baseball can recruit JUCO's what is the problem with Football...one other option is to look at "Prep Schools"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
I am not going to get into the JUCO debate, but it is time that people noticed the "State of Tulane" ain't got the talent depth needed to be competitive at the FBS level and the borders need to be expanded...but I do have a JUCO question, if Baseball can recruit JUCO's what is the problem with Football...one other option is to look at "Prep Schools"
Because the baseball jucos that we sign qualified out of high school. If you want qualified football jucos, you have to go to California. And Tulane football coaches don't want that hassle.
And qualified out of high school is the Tulane rule re jucos. Annoying yes, but there is a work around.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Because the baseball jucos that we sign qualified out of high school. If you want qualified football jucos, you have to go to California. And Tulane football coaches don't want that hassle.
And qualified out of high school is the Tulane rule re jucos. Annoying yes, but there is a work around.
I call BS on workaround. The JUCO policy has hurt basketball as well. The info never gets to the public because certain players are off limit to us before we can even start which is rediculous considering every team in our league has no restrictions. I'm sick of paying full price to see a .10 cents on the dollar performance every week. If we expect to win championships then there should never be workarounds. That's why no successful coach will come here and risk his career trying to overcome self imposed obstacles that other schools don't have like "inherent challenges". With that said CJ still couldn't win with JC's. He's over his head as head coach. This is year 4 and we are still getting blown out against decent competition. It's miserable being a Tulane fan.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Fair enough, but given the situation, I call BS on coaches who won't use the work-arounds. Ever notice that CJ stopped bringing in the transfers....kind of around the same time he got his contract extension? It's the same thing when the ACT 23s rule was in place...lazy coaches wouldn't deal with the hassle.
CJ and Toledo both had California connections...why aren't they recruiting there? We actually have a competitive advantage there (and in the MW): no private schools there except for ones who recruit well above us anyway (the only exception is Northwestern in the Big 10 - they don't inherently recruit well above us).
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I call BS on workaround. The JUCO policy has hurt basketball as well. The info never gets to the public because certain players are off limit to us before we can even start which is rediculous considering every team in our league has no restrictions. I'm sick of paying full price to see a .10 cents on the dollar performance every week. If we expect to win championships then there should never be workarounds. That's why no successful coach will come here and risk his career trying to overcome self imposed obstacles that other schools don't have like "inherent challenges".
I'm with many of you I'm just about done. I find myself caring less and less every year. We did not renew our football season tickets this year. If we don't get this AD hire right and completely clean house I'm completely done with Tulane. I'm just beat down after all the stupid decisions made over the years. Frankly it's embarrassing to even wear a Tulane football Tshirt.

A complete cleansing of the athletic department needs to take place if any plans exist to win moving forward.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:Fair enough, but given the situation, I call BS on coaches who won't use the work-arounds. Ever notice that CJ stopped bringing in the transfers....kind of around the same time he got his contract extension? It's the same thing when the ACT 23s rule was in place...lazy coaches wouldn't deal with the hassle.
CJ and Toledo both had California connections...why aren't they recruiting there? We actually have a competitive advantage there (and in the MW): no private schools there except for ones who recruit well above us anyway (the only exception is Northwestern in the Big 10 - they don't inherently recruit well above us).
I doubt the Tulane football recruiting budget has money for California trips. The last interview Rich Rod had he asked for access to a private plane for recruiting purposes and was turned down flat by RD. We don't do things that are necessary to compete for championships in athletics today. Plain and simple. We are never going to get a first tier coach if he has to do workarounds while his competitors have no such obstacles. Never.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:Fair enough, but given the situation, I call BS on coaches who won't use the work-arounds. Ever notice that CJ stopped bringing in the transfers....kind of around the same time he got his contract extension? It's the same thing when the ACT 23s rule was in place...lazy coaches wouldn't deal with the hassle.
I doubt the Tulane football recruiting budget has money for California trips. The last interview Rich Rod had he asked for access to a private plane for recruiting purposes and was turned down flat by RD. We don't do things that are necessary to compete for championships in athletics today. Plain and simple. We are never going to get a first tier coach if he has to do workarounds while his competitors have no such obstacles. Never.
when recruiting the "State of Tulane" a private plane may not be necessary...but a big azz boat would be a plus...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
when recruiting the "State of Tulane" a private plane may not be necessary...but a big azz boat would be a plus...
Yep it's called the Titanic. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yep it's called the Titanic. Lol
let me change the "big azz boat" and post a "pirogue" can be used
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
The only reason Dickson felt comfortable enough to "negotiate" with Rich Rod was because he knew there was no outcome where he could lose his job. If wins and losses mattered, Dickson would have known that he needed to land RR at any cost.

This is the result of a badly broken organization. And yes, it will continue to result in a downward spiral until rock bottom. And we're getting pretty close.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

well everyone... I am beginning to think we will be stuck with CJ in 2016...the new AD will not be hired until late november or december, the new AD will announce since it is unfair for him to judge CJ since he was not Tulane AD during the season CJ is the head coach of Tulane and we should all rally behind and open our check books to make Tulane successful
JerseyWave
Riptide

The only way I could tolerate another year of CJ is if he fires half his coaching staff. But who would work him? Who could he possible hire? I wonder if the Saint's water boy could coach.
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

I could deal with another year of CJ if:

1) He fired most if not all of his offensive staff (especially O-Line and OC). He needs to scour the earth for a young and innovative offensive coordinator.
2) He let his offensive coordinator run their own system of offense.
3) Hire a real Special Teams coordinator. I would love the old marine drill sergeant type that would run these snappers and punters two inches from death if they repeated the crazy dropped/bad snaps.

My dream scenario would be for CJ to win out and make a minor bowl so the seniors could leave on a high note. Then I would still like to see CJ replaced.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

with 8 coaching vacancies already announced, that's 6.5% of D1A schools already with an opening and more sure to come.
TU23
High Tide

There's no way a good OC or staff would come to coach with a lame duck. Got to make wholesale changes.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

TU23 wrote:There's no way a good OC or staff would come to coach with a lame duck. Got to make wholesale changes.
Yup, its a huge issue and another reason why staff changes should have been made before this year. CJ has no clue what he is doing and RD enables the failure.