A Cougar fan comes in peace

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
UHLawdog
Trickle

In advance of our game this Friday, I registered on this forum to say, in all sincerity, thank you.

Losing 31-24 to Tulane on Homecoming last year was the final straw that got Tony Levine fired and Tom Herman hired.

And with largely the same talent as last year, we're 5-0 and have a real chance to play in an NY6 bowl game.

I hope y'all's next coaching change (this off-season?) will produce the same improvement as ours did. Best of luck the rest of the year.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Thanks for visiting. Congrats on your program's progress and impressive leadership.

We've got much bigger fish to fry than the whooping you are going to give us on Friday.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Thanks. Maybe you guys can return the favor and get our guy fired?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

UHLawdog wrote:In advance of our game this Friday, I registered on this forum to say, in all sincerity, thank you.

Losing 31-24 to Tulane on Homecoming last year was the final straw that got Tony Levine fired and Tom Herman hired.

And with largely the same talent as last year, we're 5-0 and have a real chance to play in an NY6 bowl game.

I hope y'all's next coaching change (this off-season?) will produce the same improvement as ours did. Best of luck the rest of the year.
Thanks for joining. some of us here said after the game last year that your coach would be fired . Tulane is seen as such a joke in football that losing to them can even get a winning coach fired. Congrats on the hire.

As for us we are stuck w/the reality that Tulane's administration just simply doesn't want to compete at this level. You all built a legit stadium along w/other necessary infrastructure while Tulane built a 22,000 seat monument to mediocrity. You hard work paid off. Congrats.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

We beat you all last year and we'll do it again. We match up very well with your type of team. We have trouble with physical ones not speed ones.
Tulane 27
Houston 21
UHLawdog
Trickle

Unsurprisingly, I like our chances this Friday. Won't predict a score, but I think we'll cover the spread with relative ease.

Also, I understand that UH has sold out its allotment of visitor tickets, and many other fans have purchased tickets directly from Tulane, so there should be plenty of red in the stadium. Outside of Texas roadies, we traditionally show out better at Tulane than anywhere in the country.

Final note - I know Katrina knocked the entire athletic department on its backside, but it's a mystery to me why Tulane hasn't rebuilt more successfully. I've never understood how ULaLa can be a respectable-to-outstanding G5 program, but Tulane can't. I hope a new AD and football coach will get the ball rolling in the right direction for you.
Show Me
Tsunami

UHLawdog wrote:Unsurprisingly, I like our chances this Friday. Won't predict a score, but I think we'll cover the spread with relative ease.

Also, I understand that UH has sold out its allotment of visitor tickets, and many other fans have purchased tickets directly from Tulane, so there should be plenty of red in the stadium. Outside of Texas roadies, we traditionally show out better at Tulane than anywhere in the country.

Final note - I know Katrina knocked the entire athletic department on its backside, but it's a mystery to me why Tulane hasn't rebuilt more successfully. I've never understood how ULaLa can be a respectable-to-outstanding G5 program, but Tulane can't. I hope a new AD and football coach will get the ball rolling in the right direction for you.
You guys are 5-0 however if you all had played our schedule you'd be 2-3.
Even Louisville is bad this year at 2-3.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

UHLawdog wrote: Outside of Texas roadies, we traditionally show out better at Tulane than anywhere in the country.
Everyone with basic common sense would understand this, yet Rick Dickson couldn't figure it out.
UHLawdog wrote: Final note - I know Katrina knocked the entire athletic department on its backside, but it's a mystery to me why Tulane hasn't rebuilt more successfully. I've never understood how ULaLa can be a respectable-to-outstanding G5 program, but Tulane can't. I hope a new AD and football coach will get the ball rolling in the right direction for you.
It's not a mystery. Tulane's outgoing President has, in a disgusting power grab, co-opted the Board. There's nothing but delusion, secrecy and a lack of accountability as a result. Just ask them, they will tell you they've done a magnificent job, throwing themselves parades and re-naming parts of campus after themselves. They literally do not think there is even a problem, much less putting forth a less than respectable program.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UHLawdog wrote:
Board members now tell us Tulane has "inherent challenges" other schools do not which prevent us from competing for top coaches and championships. But those challenges remain a mystery to all but those on the Board.
A new AD may help but a new Board would be better IMO.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

It's no mystery why we arent better. Our administration and Athletic Director are incompetent.
exflash
High Tide

UL is one of the top G-5s in the country for reasons of various sorts---City of Lafayette which is getting away from the LSU deal slowly in numbers---enrollment at about 20K---Knocking at the tier I ranking with great Engineering, computer science, accounting, Biology, and Nursing programs--hoping for a med school soon---absolutely great facilities that will be had after the FB and Bball stadiums are complete---very good head coaches---We need to jump conferences and I think all know we could be competitive in all the G-5s!!!
DrBox
Riptide

exflash wrote:UL is one of the top G-5s in the country for reasons of various sorts---City of Lafayette which is getting away from the LSU deal slowly in numbers---enrollment at about 20K---Knocking at the tier I ranking with great Engineering, computer science, accounting, Biology, and Nursing programs--hoping for a med school soon---absolutely great facilities that will be had after the FB and Bball stadiums are complete---very good head coaches---We need to jump conferences and I think all know we could be competitive in all the G-5s!!!
You are 2 weeks removed from blowout losses to the only decent teams you played (basically what happens every year); you haven't made a NIT, much less a NCAA in 20 years, and you are hear to tell us that you are a top G5.
And, for the coup de grace, you are about to go on probation for, essentially, dumpster diving ACT scores and ignoring how the coach was doing said dumpster-diving, and you want to talk about academics, being in a league with Tulane, Rice and high research schools? But have no fear, Louisiana-Lafayette, for the 10th year in a row, is just thiiiiiis close to top 200 academically.
And still you troll?

The OP should use La Tech...how can they have a good football program and we suck.
Last edited by DrBox on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sader24
Tsunami

Pretty sure I read the NCAA is investigating the football program.
RobertM320
Green Wave

exflash wrote:UL is one of the top G-5s in the country for reasons of various sorts---City of Lafayette which is getting away from the LSU deal slowly in numbers---enrollment at about 20K---Knocking at the tier I ranking with great Engineering, computer science, accounting, Biology, and Nursing programs--hoping for a med school soon---absolutely great facilities that will be had after the FB and Bball stadiums are complete---very good head coaches---We need to jump conferences and I think all know we could be competitive in all the G-5s!!!
exflash, please make special note of the word MAJOR in the headline. Cheaters get caught in the long run

http://www.wafb.com/story/30236180/ncaa ... exam-fraud
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houston head coach Herman, who signed a five-year deal last December to become coach at the University of Houston, has been mentioned as a possible candidate at Southern California, which fired head coach Steve Sarkisian on Monday. He’s also been mentioned as a possible replacement at Maryland. So enjoy him while you can.
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
UHLawdog wrote:
Board members now tell us Tulane has "inherent challenges" other schools do not which prevent us from competing for top coaches and championships. But those challenges remain a mystery to all but those on the Board.
You're obviously referring to Goldring's remarks and your point (I bolded) can't be repeated enough. Goldring cited "inherent challenges" unique to Tulane. He needs to define what those are and I hope the media would pursue that. Somebody needs to.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

I'm highly impressed with the way UH is getting its act together. There's no urgency at Tulane however. Our failed AD is taking yet another victory lap after 15 years. And we'll be stuck with the same coaching staff since he's a lame duck and we don't care about winning.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JTLiuzza wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
UHLawdog wrote:
You're obviously referring to Goldring's remarks and your point (I bolded) can't be repeated enough. Goldring cited "inherent challenges" unique to Tulane. He needs to define what those are and I hope the media would pursue that. Somebody needs to.
Right TJ. It's a shame to take people's hard earned money under false pretense. It seems like that's what has been going on at least since the last 5 AD's.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

UHLawdog wrote:Unsurprisingly, I like our chances this Friday. Won't predict a score, but I think we'll cover the spread with relative ease.

Akron Zips 35, ULALA 14; La. Tech 43, ULALA 14.

Do your homework Cougar, ULALA is only "outstanding" when playing fellow joke Sunbelt teams.
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

Yeah, and us!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
UHLawdog wrote:
Right TJ. It's a shame to take people's hard earned money under false pretense. It seems like that's what has been going on at least since the last 5 AD's.
It's not just a shame, it's probably illegal.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Louisville in the ACC, a P5 cartel member
UHLawdog
Trickle

Wave755 wrote:

Do your homework Cougar, ULALA is only "outstanding" when playing fellow joke Sunbelt teams.
I did. The last four years, they've gone a combined 36-16 and won four consecutive bowl games. That's respectable-to-outstanding, regardless of what conference they're in.

My point, by way of using ULaLa as a comparison, was that it was incomprehensible to me why Tulane has been unable to achieve similar results. Based on the replies to this thread, that answer has become clearer for me.

For what it's worth, it should come as little surprise that UH is on the "P5 or bust" train. We're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on facilities improvements and coaching salaries to put ourselves in the best possible position for the next round of conference realignment. That commitment starts at the very top, between the school president and the chairman of the Board of Regents (Tillman Fertitta, the Landry's/Golden Nugget owner).

That said, I feel your pain. UH was, at best, indifferent to athletics for a long time. Our exclusion from the Big 12 originally is a testament to that neglect. But UH finally decided that following the TCU/Louisville path was the right answer, and we're beginning to see the fruits of that decision.
Wave755
Tsunami

UHLawdog wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

I did. The last four years, they've gone a combined 36-16 and won four consecutive bowl games. That's respectable-to-outstanding, regardless of what conference they're in.

My point, by way of using ULaLa as a comparison, was that it was incomprehensible to me why Tulane has been unable to achieve similar results. Based on the replies to this thread, that answer has become clearer for me.

For what it's worth, it should come as little surprise that UH is on the "P5 or bust" train. We're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on facilities improvements and coaching salaries to put ourselves in the best possible position for the next round of conference realignment. That commitment starts at the very top, between the school president and the chairman of the Board of Regents (Tillman Fertitta, the Landry's/Golden Nugget owner).

That said, I feel your pain. UH was, at best, indifferent to athletics for a long time. Our exclusion from the Big 12 originally is a testament to that neglect. But UH finally decided that following the TCU/Louisville path was the right answer, and we're beginning to see the fruits of that decision.
But all 16 ULALA loses were to "real teams," i.e. Akron Zips. :lolgreen: Let's get off of the ULALA crap. :baeh:

UH has the right strategy for athletics for now, we don't. We have a whole lot more going for us than UH - i.e. - New Orleans, Association of American Universities (AAU) status, & a football rich state in which LSU takes only about 17 to 18 Louisiana players a year; yet admittedly we squander our potential year after year. Tommy Bowden said, "Tulane can be anything it wants to be for Div. 1 football." Bowden was right and for now we have simply wanted to be a "nothing" for Div. 1 football. We have a new president and are finally getting rid of AD Rick Dickson after 16 very long years, who we hire to replace Dickson will tell the tale for whether anything has changed for what Tulane "wants to be" for Div. 1 athletics.

P.S. - If UH had played Duke & GT this season, you would have lost both games, just not as badly as we did. :psst: And, you're also lucky not to play Temple this year. :biggrin:
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greenphantom
Swell

Houston will destroy us Friday and easily could be 5-0 against our laughably "tougher" schedule.
Last edited by greenphantom on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.