the RD...PR machine

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Jonathan wrote:Get off the Goldrings and their donations of multi millions to Tulane academics and athletics. What the hell have you done for Tulane other than your vile cheap always negative comments on this board!
You idiot. Goldring gives because in return he gets a monopoly on the beverage and liquor contract at the entire university. Only his products can be sold at Devlin, Turchin, Yulman, LBC and the rest of all Tulane locations. Wake up you loser. For his multi million donation he gets tens of millions in return on his product monopoly year after year after year after year. Add that up you idiot.
Wake me up when he donates with no strings attached and wants Tulane to compete at the highest level and I can have a Budweiser product while watching. Remember he and Dickson are tennis buddies for a reason.

Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I've always knew that the commitment problem was higher up than AD. Now we know for sure it's at the top (the Board level). Dickson and others are just following private and secret orders that alums are not privy to.
This is exactly right. And I will repeat yet again that it is not legal for a fiduciary to have a "private and secret" agenda that the stakeholders are unaware of. This is clearly malfeasance in corporate governance.
None of which could be proven in court.

Too bad so sad JJ.

You are not a lawyer. You don't know sheet about legal issues.

What you are is a paranoid delusional hack.

No malfeasance. If you have information to illegal activities by the board and admin of Tulane why waste your time here. Take it to the Attorney General's office.
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I've always knew that the commitment problem was higher up than AD. Now we know for sure it's at the top (the Board level). Dickson and others are just following private and secret orders that alums are not privy to.
This is exactly right. And I will repeat yet again that it is not legal for a fiduciary to have a "private and secret" agenda that the stakeholders are unaware of. This is clearly malfeasance in corporate governance.

Too bad so sad JJ.

No malfeasance. If you have information to illegal activities by the board and admin of Tulane why waste your time here. Take it to the Attorney General's office.

Now it's "we can't prove it in court"? Ok, then we agree that the fiduciaries having a "private and secret" agenda is a problem, if not illegal.

That Jts/Green Wave is pushing back here is the clearest evidence yet that I am right about this.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Too bad so sad JJ.

Now it's "we can't prove it in court"? Ok, then we agree that the fiduciaries having a "private and secret" agenda is a problem, if not illegal.

That Jts/Green Wave is pushing back here is the clearest evidence yet that I am right about this.
No you cant prove it in court. You cant prove it period. Your reasoning borders on the insane. You couldn't even get it to court because you have no plausible grounds. Dude don't you get it. You saying they have a private secret agenda does not make it so. You are just a paranoid delusional hack and it is bloody obvious by what you sight as clear evidence. What a joke.
ROLL WAVE!
DrBox
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Get off the Goldrings and their donations of multi millions to Tulane academics and athletics. What the hell have you done for Tulane other than your vile cheap always negative comments on this board!
You idiot. Goldring gives because in return he gets a monopoly on the beverage and liquor contract at the entire university. Only his products can be sold at Devlin, Turchin, Yulman, LBC and the rest of all Tulane locations. Wake up you loser. For his multi million donation he gets tens of millions in return on his product monopoly year after year after year after year. Add that up you idiot.
Wake me up when he donates with no strings attached and wants Tulane to compete at the highest level and I can have a Budweiser product while watching. Remember he and Dickson are tennis buddies for a reason.
he has a liquor distribution company. he's a long time Tulane benefactor. In fact, he was the guy who was putting up the money to keep Bowden (in Barbour's 11th hour attempt to keep him). He also offered that Earhart land back in 1999, which Scelfo declined (and Barbour affirmed).
I wish he was a real sportsman. But he isn't.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote: No you cant prove it in court. You cant prove it period. Your reasoning borders on the insane. You couldn't even get it to court because you have no plausible grounds. Dude don't you get it. You saying they have a private secret agenda does not make it so. You are just a paranoid delusional hack and it is bloody obvious by what you sight as clear evidence. What a joke.
No plausible grounds? A Board member just publicly stated that we can't be successful. And yet we hold no one accountable for 15 years and then say that's the right answer because success isn't possible.

If there is no secret agenda, what is the plan and why can't we compete? Out with it already.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
Show Me wrote:
he has a liquor distribution company. he's a long time Tulane benefactor. In fact, he was the guy who was putting up the money to keep Bowden (in Barbour's 11th hour attempt to keep him). He also offered that Earhart land back in 1999, which Scelfo declined (and Barbour affirmed).
Regarding Goldring's products being sold at Tulane... I was under the impression that SODEXO had the food and beverage contract...and I dealt with SODEXO personally at several of their accounts and I can tell you now, if you are not the most "priced sensitive" distributor, you will not be awarded their business. Magnolia Liquor does not deal with Tulane, they deal with SODEXO, or which ever Management company has the Tulane contract
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
rollinggreen
High Tide

This is an easy decision for me. I have already ceased going to the football games. After Mr. Goldrings comments I am no longer a TU football fan. I will find another team to follow. Will still follow basketball and baseball as long as I can stand it.
Jonathan
Riptide

We need the name of the Chairman of the AD Selection Committee and the email addresses of every member to inform them why Tulane athletics under Rick Dickson,Scott Cowen,Toledo,CJ,Scelfo,etc has been a disaster, Love Tommy Bowden and Coach Rod,discipline! 12-0 ranked Tulane 7th in the nation!
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
No plausible grounds? A Board member just publicly stated that we can't be successful. And yet we hold no one accountable for 15 years and then say that's the right answer because success isn't possible.

If there is no secret agenda, what is the plan and why can't we compete? Out with it already.
Then file suit. Surely someone who has sat on 7 boards of directors of public corporations can take care of that.
Of course, you'd never get standing. You'll need a donor and a board member to do that. But surely you have those connections.

Not that anyone believes that you have ever sat on 1, much less 7 boards. Because if you did, you'd know that they have done nothing illegal. Bad business judgment - yes, but nothing illegal. What Goldring said, if it is policy, is poor judgment. Not acceptable to any real Tulane supporter, but not illegal.

And I'm sure you'll respond with the usual polemic of how Fitts is Cowen's O.K Allen (even though the 1 significant athletic hire out of Fitts was someone you assured everyone we had no chance to get; even though, just last week, Fitts pushed Cowen's top administrator down in the pecking order.)
So file suit. It's time for YOU to put your actions where your mouth is.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:What is Temple Thinking....sharing a football stadium with a Professional franchise...do those dumb azz Yankees know you cannot do that and have a successful College Program.... those ingrates need to be taught a lesson, by SC and RD on the correct way to Manage and promote a private university....80 million dollars wasted ...oh the humanity !!!
You are obviously being sarcastic, but in reality SC/RD really do think this is true. They really do think they are doing it right and reality is just being stubborn. This is some narcissistic BS.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Then file suit. Surely someone who has sat on 7 boards of directors of public corporations can take care of that.
Of course, you'd never get standing. You'll need a donor and a board member to do that. But surely you have those connections.

Not that anyone believes that you have ever sat on 1, much less 7 boards. Because if you did, you'd know that they have done nothing illegal. Bad business judgment - yes, but nothing illegal. What Goldring said, if it is policy, is poor judgment. Not acceptable to any real Tulane supporter, but not illegal.

And I'm sure you'll respond with the usual polemic of how Fitts is Cowen's O.K Allen (even though the 1 significant athletic hire out of Fitts was someone you assured everyone we had no chance to get; even though, just last week, Fitts pushed Cowen's top administrator down in the pecking order.)
It's no coincidence that every time you direct a personal attack at me it's filled with blatant factual errors. At no point did I ever say that I was on the Board of 7 public companies. I have been on the Board of 7 private companies, which is not even close to the same thing, and not that big a deal. But I do have some direct experience with corporate governance, which clearly you don't since you didn't know the difference between public and private companies.

You also whiffed on your "file suit or get off the pot" idiocy because filing suit is not necessarily the plan. Does every company that sends a "cease and desist" order file suit? Of course not. Sometimes the formal threat of legal action is enough. And since Goldring would be PERSONALLY FINANCIALLY LIABLE he would cave before it got any further than a threat. Do you think Goldring is willing to put his personal fortune on the line to defend this "Tulane Model"? Keep in mind, there's a significant track record here of deceit, lack of accountability, etc.

Your personal attacks are proving both factually false and clueless. You would be wise to figure out who the enemy is, because it isn't me.
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Regarding Goldring's products being sold at Tulane... I was under the impression that SODEXO had the food and beverage contract...and I dealt with SODEXO personally at several of their accounts and I can tell you now, if you are not the most "priced sensitive" distributor, you will not be awarded their business. Magnolia Liquor does not deal with Tulane, they deal with SODEXO, or which ever Management company has the Tulane contract
I'm not knocking Goldring. He's a business man looking out for his business interest first.
SODEXO runs Yulman f&b for Tulane, however Tulane tells them what they want sold. They tell them to buy beverage and liquor from Magnolia end of story. Goldring has had a contract that has been around for years. I know because I asked why no Budweiser beer and was told Magnolia doesn't carry it.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

It's no coincidence that every time you direct a personal attack at me it's filled with blatant factual errors. At no point did I ever say that I was on the Board of 7 public companies. I have been on the Board of 7 private companies, which is not even close to the same thing, and not that big a deal. But I do have some direct experience with corporate governance, which clearly you don't since you didn't know the difference between public and private companies.

You also whiffed on your "file suit or get off the pot" idiocy because filing suit is not necessarily the plan. Does every company that sends a "cease and desist" order file suit? Of course not. Sometimes the formal threat of legal action is enough. And since Goldring would be PERSONALLY FINANCIALLY LIABLE he would cave before it got any further than a threat. Do you think Goldring is willing to put his personal fortune on the line to defend this "Tulane Model"? Keep in mind, there's a significant track record here of deceit, lack of accountability, etc.

Your personal attacks are proving both factually false and clueless. You would be wise to figure out who the enemy is, because it isn't me.
You bully and intimidate and try to suppress disagreement, and then when someone stands up to you, you cry. And, yes, you ARE part of the problem. Hyper hyperbole, failure to nuance cloud all resisters of Dickson/Cowen philosophy as lunatics.
Goldring would NOT be personally financially liable unless he acted against TU for his own benefit (surely you don't believe the idiocy implied above that his donations are some quid pro quo for some tens of millions in liquor shipped from Goldring companies). There is no crime here, nor is there a civil breach of duty.
Okay, it's just a threat of a suit. Then where's your threat? Have you delivered it?
Why not file suit. They are filed all the time, and then withdrawn through either settlement or acquiescence.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

You bully and intimidate and try to suppress disagreement, and then when someone stands up to you, you cry. And, yes, you ARE part of the problem. Hyper hyperbole, failure to nuance cloud all resisters of Dickson/Cowen philosophy as lunatics.
Goldring would NOT be personally financially liable unless he acted against TU for his own benefit (surely you don't believe the idiocy implied above that his donations are some quid pro quo for some tens of millions in liquor shipped from Goldring companies). There is no crime here, nor is there a civil breach of duty.
Okay, it's just a threat of a suit. Then where's your threat? Have you delivered it?
Why not file suit. They are filed all the time, and then withdrawn through either settlement or acquiescence.
No I try to promote disagreement and encourage others to take action.

ONce again, you are making definitive statements about things you don't know about. You don't have a correct understanding of Goldring's fiduciary duties. Too bad if me pointing that out makes me a bully.

As I've noted before, I've tried in the past to take a leadership role in making something happen. I don't have the time for that now. Did you like or share my social media campaign a few years back? If not, then you are a hypocrit.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote: No you cant prove it in court. You cant prove it period. Your reasoning borders on the insane. You couldn't even get it to court because you have no plausible grounds. Dude don't you get it. You saying they have a private secret agenda does not make it so. You are just a paranoid delusional hack and it is bloody obvious by what you sight as clear evidence. What a joke.

Is this the quote you are referring too?

"Tulane has some inherent challenges that other schools don't," Goldring said. "Tulane is not hiring people at the Nick Saban level. We can't compete with LSU."
Or is it some other quote?

BTW

Nick Saban gets paid $7 Million plus and is in the SEC. We cant afford him. We aren't in the SEC with the huge athletic budgets propped up in part by ESPN.

BTW: We can compete with that if we were in the SEC. But, we are not now in the SEC. We were some 50 years ago though.

You have no grasp of reality JJ.
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

No I try to promote disagreement and encourage others to take action.

ONce again, you are making definitive statements about things you don't know about. You don't have a correct understanding of Goldring's fiduciary duties. Too bad if me pointing that out makes me a bully.

As I've noted before, I've tried in the past to take a leadership role in making something happen. I don't have the time for that now. Did you like or share my social media campaign a few years back? If not, then you are a hypocrit.
Dude you telling people they don't know what they are talking about is just plain poop.

Like I said before. Come up with some evidence then hand it over to the Attorney General.

If not, please shut up.

This is like you going on a rant with a lawyer earlier on this year. In the end, you had nothing to fall back on but some claim you spoke to a law professor and he agreed with you. When backed into a corner, JJ makes statements that cant be vetted other than trusting him to tell the truth.
ROLL WAVE!
DrBox
Riptide

Green Wave wrote: Is this the quote you are referring too?

"Tulane has some inherent challenges that other schools don't," Goldring said. "Tulane is not hiring people at the Nick Saban level. We can't compete with LSU."
It's a bad quote.
This business about "inherent challenges" is the same old saw. It's an excuse.

As for not competing with LSU, you know you're right. But you don't say it and you don't not try. That quote says "We won't try to get recruit X that is also being recruited by LSU." Well you know something, we were always at a disadvantage to them and we would still get some recruits they wanted. We'd beat them occasionally. By saying we "are not competing" we are saying we are some little school.
BTW, TCU built themselves as a non BCS team. They beat Oklahoma and won the Rose Bowl as a non BCS team.
So, indeed, that was a lousy quote and, if that's how the board feels, scary for the future. It's indefensible and I'm disappointed that you're defending it.
windywave
Low Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:Goldring's comments are utterly outrageous and mindblowing, and I would argue possibly legally actionable.

Bill Goldring has a legal, fiduciary responsibility to the university stakeholders, which certainly includes "us". Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about when he explains this departure from reality by blaming "inherent challenges that other schools don't." And when I say legally actionable, I mean to say that Rick Dickson is on record as saying something equally as stupid when he said that we were "tied at the hip" with TCU. Last I checked TCU is ranked ahead of LSU. So that statement would seem to not be able to hold up to the very loose legal standard of "reasonable". It's hard to not cross the bar of "reasonable" and yet these comments get there.
Going to go out on a limb here and say you aren't a lawyer and didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night. Humor me, what's your cause of action and what are the damages? To whom or what does Bill Goldring owe a duty and how was that duty breached? Also, please enlighten me as to what fiduciary duty he owes in this situation, to whom, and how it was breached (pro-tip, you aren't going to find an answer to that last one). Also please lay out LA trustee case law and statute to support your claims in case they differ significantly from national ones. Or in the alternative take a chill pill.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

BTW

Nick Saban gets paid $7 Million plus and is in the SEC. We cant afford him. We aren't in the SEC with the huge athletic budgets propped up in part by ESPN.

BTW: We can compete with that if we were in the SEC. But, we are not now in the SEC. We were some 50 years ago though.

No we could afford Nick Saban if we wanted. Tulane's annual budget is $800M a year, so $7M would fit neatly in at less than 1% of the school's annual budget. So it's definitely doable. But the PTB have decided that this is not a good idea, even though Alabama's leadership said that the $7M/year on Saban's salary was the best investment they ever made.

You are confusing reality with "whatever SC/RD say".
windywave
Low Tide

Show Me wrote:
Do you have documentation to a) show he gets tens of millions in sales (I know Tulane people drink, but not that much) b) There is a Quid Pro Quo c) Some reason why Tulane should not use one the largest alcohol distributor in the region. D) How any of this is germane to a discussion about the AD who has little to do with negotiating alcohol procurement contracts.
Jonathan
Riptide

Please text or email Jeff Duncan at the TP and tell him the series of Kiss ass articles he did on Rick Dickson.. Inform him what the major problem is Scelfo,Toledo and CJ,disasters!
windywave
Low Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Google business judgement rule then go to your doctor and get your meds switched or the does doubled, or both.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

BTW

No we could afford Nick Saban if we wanted. Tulane's annual budget is $800M a year, so $7M would fit neatly in at less than 1% of the school's annual budget. So it's definitely doable. But the PTB have decided that this is not a good idea, even though Alabama's leadership said that the $7M/year on Saban's salary was the best investment they ever made.

You are confusing reality with "whatever SC/RD say".
Nope you are confusing Tulane with Alabama. The brand name coupled with the prestige is overwhelming. Tulane does not have any football prestige at this point. It will take years of winning to get us there. You are deceiving yourself. Take this to the Alabama board or donate 7 Million a year to the football program just for the coach. Want to talk about silly. Convince academics that is a prudent move to pay the biggest salary for a Head Coach in college football. This is not the NFL. This is not the SEC. This is a private non-P5 University. No way in hell that's happening.
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

windywave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Goldring's comments are utterly outrageous and mindblowing, and I would argue possibly legally actionable.

Bill Goldring has a legal, fiduciary responsibility to the university stakeholders, which certainly includes "us". Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about when he explains this departure from reality by blaming "inherent challenges that other schools don't." And when I say legally actionable, I mean to say that Rick Dickson is on record as saying something equally as stupid when he said that we were "tied at the hip" with TCU. Last I checked TCU is ranked ahead of LSU. So that statement would seem to not be able to hold up to the very loose legal standard of "reasonable". It's hard to not cross the bar of "reasonable" and yet these comments get there.
Going to go out on a limb here and say you aren't a lawyer and didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night. Humor me, what's your cause of action and what are the damages? To whom or what does Bill Goldring owe a duty and how was that duty breached? Also, please enlighten me as to what fiduciary duty he owes in this situation, to whom, and how it was breached (pro-tip, you aren't going to find an answer to that last one). Also please lay out LA trustee case law and statute to support your claims in case they differ significantly from national ones. Or in the alternative take a chill pill.
Yeah neither a lawyer nor stayed in a holiday inn express last night. How about demonstrable incompetence in the administration of athletics as a cause of action? The damages being lost revenues? As a fidcuiary, Board members have a legal duty to act in the best interests of Tulane University and its stakeholders, which all of us here are.

The legal case turns on the definition of "Reasonable". Would a reasonable Board member look at Rick Dickson's objective track record in his position and say he's "the best"? There are numerous objective facts, like W/L, P&L, donation levels, ticket sales/attendance that suggest Dickson is one of the worst ever. When the alumni take out ads in the school newspaper demanding changes and the response is 1) No 2) no changes should be made ever and 3) dickson is doing a great job is that a "reasonable" conclusion?

It's very hard to top the "reasonable" bar, but this situation could really test that.

I'm not a lawyer. I am not guaranteeing this approach to be successful if it is brought forward. The problem is that the only alternative is, as you put it, to take a chill pill. Which means Cowen and Dickson keep collecting those paychecks and nothing changes. Tulane will not survive if this dysfunction continues indefinitely. The threat of legal action alone will bring attention to the fact that alumni are mad and changes are needed even if it fails.

You got a better suggestion?