Tulane 45 - UCF 31

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:There's no doubt about our level of talent, and I know our coaching isn't the best, but our players NEED to be smarter. We make too many mistakes that are on the players. It doesn't take coaching to tell you not to make a late hit when the clock is running out. Just common sense.
Very evident today with the talent. I haven't seen this much talent on a Tulane roster since the early 80's. First team defense was spectacular. Offense played well. Punting game a disaster.

That's much more a comment on the lack of talent since then. The talent from then would have curb stomped this team. We had guys from every phase that went on to excellent NFL careers back then. No comparison at all.
It's been lacking for sometime. CJ has his faults but he has a good eye for talent.
Was just thinking that earlier. There look to be another few 2-star freshman that look like they will be real good players. All those freshman DBs, especially Teamer, look like they should have been 3 star guys. And this is after Sean Wilson, Nickerson, Trey Scott, Charles Jones, not to mention Tanner Lee. CJ's hit rate on these guys is pretty high.

Now if we could only get a few 4 stars and coach them up better.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:CJ presented Rick Dickson with the game ball in the locker room.
Just a precursor to all the parades and buildings that are about to be named after him. :roll:
BC Wave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Forever TU wrote:Jackass UCF fans just yelled "Knight" at that part in the anthem
FTU we yell wave over brave. We can never complain.
Thank you. That's as petty as I can imagine especially when we have our own take on TSSB.
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:There's no doubt about our level of talent, and I know our coaching isn't the best, but our players NEED to be smarter. We make too many mistakes that are on the players. It doesn't take coaching to tell you not to make a late hit when the clock is running out. Just common sense.
Very evident today with the talent. I haven't seen this much talent on a Tulane roster since the early 80's. First team defense was spectacular. Offense played well. Punting game a disaster.

That's much more a comment on the lack of talent since then. The talent from then would have curb stomped this team. We had guys from every phase that went on to excellent NFL careers back then. No comparison at all.
It's been lacking for sometime. CJ has his faults but he has a good eye for talent.
yes he does.
But he's recruiting in 2 star waters, so he's getting the best 2 stars he can.
AAC is a 3 star league. He needs to be evaluating, and landing players, there. Our competition is.
Wave QB
Swell

I am happy we won, but we still need to understand that UCF is a struggling team just like Houston was last season with several injuries. Our offense still doesn't look like a FBS offense.
TURVS71
Swell

Weather was great for football.....don't miss the dome one iota..
Pleased with the victory.... With 5 turnovers by the opponent you SHOULD win and we had 3 scores from these turnovers.
Not pleased that Johnson pulled the starters so early in the second half. UCF was the team that laid 70 points on us several years ago in the dome. I never did like this type of "niceness" factor in a football game. Too many times we have been the stomping mat and should return the favor when the chance arises.

VERY DISGUSTED AND NAUSEATED with the locker room video and little speech showing the game ball being given to Dickson....His office can't be vacated soon enough for me...
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bigschtick
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:CJ presented Rick Dickson with the game ball in the locker room.

LOL Big Deal! Two facts remain. Dickson is an imbecile and Johnson has not a clue how to be a head coach.
We win over a team more hapless than us and its cause to rename Yulman stadium to Dickson Stadium! Only
at Tulane.
Last edited by Bigschtick on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just think about this fact. The Wave hasn't lost a football game in over 21 days and counting.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:Weather was great for football.....don't miss the dome one iota..
Pleased with the victory.... With 5 turnovers by the opponent you SHOULD win and we had 3 scores from these turnovers.
Not pleased that Johnson pulled the starters so early in the second half. UCF was the team that laid 70 points on us several years ago in the dome. I never did like this type of "niceness" factor in a football game. Too many times we have been the stomping mat and should return the favor when the chance arises.

VERY DISGUSTED AND NAUSEATED with the locker room video and little speech showing the game ball being given to Dickson....His office can't be vacated soon enough for me...

How can anyone want either of them around another day ???

Only At Tulane
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
greenphantom
Swell

Green Wave wrote:
AugWave wrote:If we pull the starters before the middle of the 4th quarter one more time..... Smh. Our coaches stink. STINK! Our starters need all the reps they can get. The hell are you doing yanking people out at the end of the damn 3rd quarter? We aren't Alabama and they aren't Chattanooga! Play the damn game full speed and stomp them! I swear, I'm over our coaches...

2-2. On to next week.
Yes pulling Lee in a meaningless 4th quarter when Tulane led by 4 touchdowns was a bad call. No way Lee could have possibly been injured ahead of the Temple game. :roll:
Another ignorant post from this guy. It was very apparent that the starters were pulled too early and we could have lost the game. Crazy things happen in college football. With your line of thinking, why don't we just hold Tanner Lee out of practice this week? Even if he's wearing a no-contact jersey, he could easily pull a hamstring, twist an ankle, etc. Not worth the risk.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Just think about this fact. The Wave hasn't lost a football game in over 21 days and counting.
The combined record of the teams we play in next 4 games are 17-0. We better enjoy this non losing streak.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
AugWave wrote:If we pull the starters before the middle of the 4th quarter one more time..... Smh. Our coaches stink. STINK! Our starters need all the reps they can get. The hell are you doing yanking people out at the end of the damn 3rd quarter? We aren't Alabama and they aren't Chattanooga! Play the damn game full speed and stomp them! I swear, I'm over our coaches...

2-2. On to next week.
Yes pulling Lee in a meaningless 4th quarter when Tulane led by 4 touchdowns was a bad call. No way Lee could have possibly been injured ahead of the Temple game. :roll:
Another ignorant post from this guy. It was very apparent that the starters were pulled too early and we could have lost the game. Crazy things happen in college football. With your line of thinking, why don't we just hold Tanner Lee out of practice this week? Even if he's wearing a no-contact jersey, he could easily pull a hamstring, twist an ankle, etc. Not worth the risk.
"This guy" doesn't care about Tulane Athletics, only supporting whatever decision makes Rick Dickson look like a genius, and in this case that means trying to keep any heat off his football coach. In 15 years he hasn't had a complaint or negative word.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

2-2. On to next week.
"This guy" doesn't care about Tulane Athletics, only supporting whatever decision makes Rick Dickson look like a genius, and in this case that means trying to keep any heat off his football coach. In 15 years he hasn't had a complaint or negative word.
Oh yes it is totally ignorant to pull you starting QB in the 4th quarter with a 28 point lead in order to protect him from injury :roll: Totally ignorant to give your backup QB playing time when the game is over. :roll: Totally ignorant to let almost all the kids get some actual playing time too. :roll:

Your agenda is stuck so far up your ass JJ you cant see the benefit.

BTW. With 8 mins left in the ball game, we led by 28 points. The only thing ignorant around here is that ridiculous claim.

THE GAME WAS OVER!
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

In the interests of ignoring Rick Dickson's troll, I've got a few other game notes.

I'll say it again, Tanner Lee is really good. At this point, anyone that brings up Devin Powell as a potential starter is talking crazy talk.

What on earth was the deal with Kelley, Rounds and Glenn being in on the first series? This is the kind of stuff that, even though it was a great day and win, forces you to question the coaching coming out of the game.

It looks like the light bulb is going on for Breaux and Preston looks like a real good prospect. Losing Williams and James to off field stuff and Encalade to an injury, but with Veal we really have a better looking top end WR depth chart then in a long time. Combine some weapons with a big time QB and a stable of good RBs and there is more than enough talent here to put together a potent offense. I just have no faith in this offensive coaching staff to do it.

The pass blocking was very good. The run blocking is still inconsistent at best. Yes there were times when we blew them off the ball, but there were an equal number of missed blocks. Lack of consistency in the run game is the biggest problem on offense right now.

The DL was really good, as I had hoped/speculated in the preseason. UCF was reeling. Fingers crossed they can have the same impact against our next four opponents.

The young DBs are really good. Teamer flashed some big time potential right off the bat and Shenall, Shy and Eugene each look like they will become plus contributors sooner rather than later.

The starting DBs were pretty disappointing. Given a dominant pass rush, they should have played much better. Richard Allen was burned badly multiple times and numerous DBs appeared out of position repeatedly. UCF was beating us with the same routes repeatedly and it seems like we did not adjust. The play of the DBs and LBs were the only thing that prevented this game from being even more of a blowout.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Offense
Tanner Lee made several big time throws yesterday.
Breaux is the most improved player so far this year.
Rounds and Kelley combined for 25 carries while Thompson, Hilliard and Bade combined for 13 carries. If Thompson is banged up then Badie has to get more touches.

Special Teams
Well designed and executed fake punt, but Picarelli is a joke of a football player!
Golub is a national story, all over the Internet. Give the kid more opportunities.

Defense
Tanzel Smart was all over the place.
Richard Allen was burned several times, Nickerson bailed him out on the forced fumble play. The freshman dbs look promising. Teamer is another under the radar success for CJ.

CJ definitely pulled the plug too early and ruined the post game celebration by giving the game ball to Tricky Rick!

Bring it to Philly next week! JerseyWave will be there!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Breaux is finally playing up to his potential. Kudos to his new WR coach. Coaching makes a difference.

No one has mentioned this but early in the game on a 3rd and one for us we had 3 WR's on the field: Preston,Hicks and Dace. Didn't make sense in a big situation.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bham Wave
Ripple

Donnie Lewis made some bad plays early in the game. They had a third and forever that they converted on pass down the middle and immediately after Marley and Monroe appeared to be upset with Lewis. Coaches pulled him shortly after that and put Teamer in and he immediately started making plays. He was around the ball, blowing people up, and got a nice pic. Lewis didn't see the field again until garbage time. I suspect we will see a change for good at the safety position.
sader24
Tsunami

I had a great time at the game, thought the game was great. I walked back my car only to find out it had been illegally towed by one of the tow trucks just roaming through the neighborhood. Got to the tow truck place to find a stream of people from the Tulane game trying to recover their vehicles. Employees in the tow office were telling me how big of a scam it is and that many of those towed were incorrectly towed but their is nothing they can do about it. Apparently these tow truck drivers aren't called by the police or neighbors but are allowed to just roam around on gamedays and tow any cars they believe are illegally parked (which i wasn't I have pictures and employees there and deputy agreed with me). This type of BS will discourage people from attending these games. $220 and hours of aggravation to be 1 of maybe 7-8k people at a Tulane game at 11am.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I had a great time at the game, thought the game was great. I walked back my car only to find out it had been illegally towed by one of the tow trucks just roaming through the neighborhood. Got to the tow truck place to find a stream of people from the Tulane game trying to recover their vehicles. Employees in the tow office were telling me how big of a scam it is and that many of those towed were incorrectly towed but their is nothing they can do about it. Apparently these tow truck drivers aren't called by the police or neighbors but are allowed to just roam around on gamedays and tow any cars they believe are illegally parked (which i wasn't I have pictures and employees there and deputy agreed with me). This type of BS will discourage people from attending these games. $220 and hours of aggravation to be 1 of maybe 7-8k people at a Tulane game at 11am.
Sader please out that in your survey. That needs to be addressed immediately!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I had a great time at the game, thought the game was great. I walked back my car only to find out it had been illegally towed by one of the tow trucks just roaming through the neighborhood. Got to the tow truck place to find a stream of people from the Tulane game trying to recover their vehicles. Employees in the tow office were telling me how big of a scam it is and that many of those towed were incorrectly towed but their is nothing they can do about it. Apparently these tow truck drivers aren't called by the police or neighbors but are allowed to just roam around on gamedays and tow any cars they believe are illegally parked (which i wasn't I have pictures and employees there and deputy agreed with me). This type of BS will discourage people from attending these games. $220 and hours of aggravation to be 1 of maybe 7-8k people at a Tulane game at 11am.
This is a shameful example of how to discourage gameday participation. I'm sorry this happened and I agree with tps, you need to document this story in your survey response. Make certain to enter your name and phone and check the box "I would like to be contacted concerning my survey response."

FWIW, I pay less than $100 yearly and park on campus during the game. I leave my vehicle on either Newcomb place or McAllister and I'm on the perimeter of the quad (tailgating village) in the middle of campus. I like this better than the Diboll parking garage.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Bham Wave wrote:Donnie Lewis made some bad plays early in the game. They had a third and forever that they converted on pass down the middle and immediately after Marley and Monroe appeared to be upset with Lewis. Coaches pulled him shortly after that and put Teamer in and he immediately started making plays. He was around the ball, blowing people up, and got a nice pic. Lewis didn't see the field again until garbage time. I suspect we will see a change for good at the safety position.
Hopefully it will be similar to when the coaches tried Monroe at nickle and Leonard Davis at safety last year, and after they made the change the rest of the year was notably different. Here's hoping that Teamer solidifies the back end. It was only part of one game, but we haven't seen a true frosh make a difference on defense like that outside of Marley.
waveclem
Surge

JerseyWave wrote: but Picarelli is a joke of a football player!
Richard Allen was burned several times, Nickerson bailed him out on the forced fumble play. The freshman dbs look promising. Teamer is another under the radar success for CJ.

CJ definitely pulled the plug too early and ruined the post game celebration by giving the game ball to Tricky Rick!

Bring it to Philly next week! JerseyWave will be there!

It would be one thing if he just was a bad punter (actually that's enough to lose your punting position) but he shows NO effort when the play goes south. Check out the botch snap against Ga Tech from last year or the Duke game from last year. His lack of want to burned me up. Other guys on the team are busting their tail trying to make a tackle and save a touchdown while he literally stands their. Please, go back and check the highlights (more like lowlights). Zach Block needs to see the field.

R. Allen did get beat bad but like you said, Nickerson made a hell of an effort to catch up with him and have the presence of mind to go for the strip. I'll give Allen credit for being Johnny on the spot with the fumble recovery out of mid air. No doubt that was the changing play of the game.

I think Rod Teamer should be our new starter opposite D. Monroe. He has something that neither Donnie Lewis or Tristan Cooper have. A knack to want to hit an opponent. He's not very fast but he seems to be in position and like I said he can lay the wood. I also think that Dedrick Shy and Taris Shenall should start to see more playing time.

Also, not having anything to do with the game but does anyone know what the status is of Darius Williams, Darius Black, and Doug Henry? I know their done for this year but are any of these guys going to stick with it and be a green wave for next year? TPS, any info?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

On his show CJ said he was opening the punting competition up. He also named Teamer the starter.

Williams and Black will enroll in January.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
With respect TPS that survey is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. It won't amount to squat. And even if you have picture evidence as sader has, it's not worth suing over. Scam pure and simple. You think they would do this to any school other than Tulane? If LSU fans got hosed like that heads would roll. If Xavier fans got the same treatment heads would roll.

Ought to set up a sting on the bastards. Have numerous people park legally, documenting each with video evidence.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
May I suggest a solution.... Those being towed illegally should file a law suit against the towing company...if in fact it can be proven that one of the NIMBY"s called and caused this action a lawsuit should be filed on behave of Tulane, it's Students, Faculty, Staff and the Tulane Fans that can produce used tickets to the event in the amount of 1 million dollars for each occurance ...that will shut some Audubon Place azz holes up in a heartbeat...but then again we are speaking about Tulane, so I guess nothing will take place
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !