Tulane 45 - UCF 31

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

We never make anything easy. 45-31 now. They're 3rd string QB looks like an All-American.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
swampnik
Surge

CJ lacks the stake in the heart mentality when TU has a lead. Case in point last series of allowing Powell to keep feeding Rounds 3x in a row. Geez just throw the thing in the air; UCF will not hate you for scoring another TD.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
JerseyWave
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:It's hard to see the flashes of what this could be if our coaching staff wasn't a collection of Rick Dickson's friends and loyalists. Proper coaching would have this roster seriously challenging for the AAC title next year.

The light bulb might be going on for Tanner Lee. His talent level is unfathomably high.
I can see the NFL caliber talent in Lee. I just hope CJ/Price don't ruin him.
Forever TU
Surge

I see why CJ played the young guys but I would have waited until mid way through the 4th. Good win.
Wave QB
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:It's hard to see the flashes of what this could be if our coaching staff wasn't a collection of Rick Dickson's friends and loyalists. Proper coaching would have this roster seriously challenging for the AAC title next year.

The light bulb might be going on for Tanner Lee. His talent level is unfathomably high.

Yeah.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:There's no doubt about our level of talent, and I know our coaching isn't the best, but our players NEED to be smarter. We make too many mistakes that are on the players. It doesn't take coaching to tell you not to make a late hit when the clock is running out. Just common sense.
Very evident today with the talent. I haven't seen this much talent on a Tulane roster since the early 80's. First team defense was spectacular. Offense played well. Punting game a disaster.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Watched some of the game today from the Capital One party deck. The view was great. Ed Conroy hosted many of the season ticket holders. The team was there and were practicing twice today. Once before the football game and once after it.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:

When Lee has time he's pretty good. I counted about 3 dropped passes as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:

Well so far they have ruined him. He's going to be a high NFL draft pick and yet, prior to the past 2 games against horrendous teams, there were more than a few posters who didn't even think he should start. I think you might say that right now Lee is saving CJ/Price, rather than the other way around.
wave97
Swell

Tanner had time today. Tanner likely won't have time next week.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

When Lee has time he's pretty good. I counted about 3 dropped passes as well.
I can recall two of those drops being two of TL's most impressive plays today. TL has been pretty good with time in this offense. With better coaching around him, he'd be one of the best QBs in college football and soon.
Robert1969
Riptide

The problem I see is that CJ doesn't have a killer instinct. He just wants a W, and if UCF had recovered that onside kick, it would have come back to bite him on the ass.

Blow outs are about more than appeasing the fans or making the scoreboard look good. They are about FINISHING a game. They are about your young team's psychology, and letting them prove to themsleves that they can whoop a conference opponent's ass. It is about affecting your next opponent's mindset -- make them a little tentative. When you have a chance to beat the manure out of somebody, you have to have the nastiness to do so if you are going to take your game to the next level.

Today, by choice and indifference, Curtis Johnson didn't let his team finish. He didn't let his team dominate. And that is a lousy way to coach.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:The problem I see is that CJ doesn't have a killer instinct. He just wants a W, and if UCF had recovered that onside kick, it would have come back to bite him on the ass.

Blow outs are about more than appeasing the fans or making the scoreboard look good. They are about FINISHING a game. They are about your young team's psychology, and letting them prove to themsleves that they can whoop a conference opponent's ass. It is about affecting your next opponent's mindset -- make them a little tentative. When you have a chance to beat the manure out of somebody, you have to have the nastiness to do so if you are going to take your game to the next level.

Today, by choice and indifference, Curtis Johnson didn't let his team finish. He didn't let his team dominate. And that is a lousy way to coach.

+1. Tell CJ we are allowed to blow out an opponent. Tulane has been on the wrong end far too many times. We can blow someone out and do it with class!
51WaveBG
High Tide

The defense won this game. The offense is still awful and the play calling even worse. Doesn't E. Price know that when it is 3rd and 1 and the other team brings 9 men into the box, tight, you have little to no chance of making it by running the ball right into the middle of the line. He did it 3 times today. Football coaching 101 says you just don't sit on a lead, starting at the end of the 3rd quarter. The coaching staff let UCF back into the game by playing the reserves too early. After seeing the offense play today, I still stand by my 3-9 prediction, with NO changes in the coaching staff. Our punter is the worst in D1 football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The fake punt call was brilliant. Must have been from the Sean Payton book. I was watching and immediately thought we botched the snap when it went short. Lol. Faked me out completely.
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

If we pull the starters before the middle of the 4th quarter one more time..... Smh. Our coaches stink. STINK! Our starters need all the reps they can get. The hell are you doing yanking people out at the end of the damn 3rd quarter? We aren't Alabama and they aren't Chattanooga! Play the damn game full speed and stomp them! I swear, I'm over our coaches...

2-2. On to next week.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Green Wave
Swell

AugWave wrote:If we pull the starters before the middle of the 4th quarter one more time..... Smh. Our coaches stink. STINK! Our starters need all the reps they can get. The hell are you doing yanking people out at the end of the damn 3rd quarter? We aren't Alabama and they aren't Chattanooga! Play the damn game full speed and stomp them! I swear, I'm over our coaches...

2-2. On to next week.
Yes pulling Lee in a meaningless 4th quarter when Tulane led by 4 touchdowns was a bad call. No way Lee could have possibly been injured ahead of the Temple game. :roll:
ROLL WAVE!
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Just arrived back home from the game. Nice win! Hey, I'm usually hard on the coaching, but the comments on the 2nd team in the fourth quarter when we're up by 4 TDs is a bit of a non-issue.

Positives: Both the OLIne and DLine played extremely well. No small feat - we looked better than South Carolina last week up front on both sides of the ball. Tanner Lee when he has time is the real deal. Great/gutsy fake punt call. WRs were getting separation on mediocre cover guys from UCF.

Negatives: Punting, i.e. our punter either has a mental block now on catching the ball or is intentionally trying to show CJ the door. I've never seen anything like our punt team even in HS. Our secondary had poor coverage many times during the game; a better QB (Memphis, Temple) could pick us apart. Still no consistency with our RBs and touches. I love Rounds and Kelley, but why are they getting more touches than Badie, Thompson and Hilliard? I want to see more TE involvement too.

All in all, very pleased with the result (from a fan with very low expectations)!
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Forever TU wrote:Jackass UCF fans just yelled "Knight" at that part in the anthem
FTU we yell wave over brave. We can never complain.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:The problem I see is that CJ doesn't have a killer instinct. He just wants a W, and if UCF had recovered that onside kick, it would have come back to bite him on the ass.

Probably because Johnson/Dickson know they will not be allowed to finish....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:There's no doubt about our level of talent, and I know our coaching isn't the best, but our players NEED to be smarter. We make too many mistakes that are on the players. It doesn't take coaching to tell you not to make a late hit when the clock is running out. Just common sense.
Very evident today with the talent. I haven't seen this much talent on a Tulane roster since the early 80's. First team defense was spectacular. Offense played well. Punting game a disaster.

That's much more a comment on the lack of talent since then. The talent from then would have curb stomped this team. We had guys from every phase that went on to excellent NFL careers back then. No comparison at all.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That's much more a comment on the lack of talent since then. The talent from then would have curb stomped this team. We had guys from every phase that went on to excellent NFL careers back then. No comparison at all.
It's been lacking for sometime. CJ has his faults but he has a good eye for talent.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll see how much talent we have 4 weeks from now.
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Todd just said that the deep snap on the XP after the last touchdown (45-17) was from the legally blind player Golub. Entire team was congratulating him after the play. Good to see.
Johnson is a good man. It is a shame he is a terrible coach.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CJ presented Rick Dickson with the game ball in the locker room.
Tulane Class of 1981