We do not want Barbara Burke

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To elevate her is to spit in the fans and athletes faces and clearly decree that the small time failed policies of this athletic department will continue. We demand a national search. We want an AD who will raise money for the needed football facilities on campus,Ie., a football operations building and an IPF.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
shorebreak
Ripple

Yep, cosign
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:To elevate her is to spit in the fans and athletes faces and clearly decree that the small time failed policies of this athletic department will continue. We demand a national search. We want an AD who will raise money for the needed football facilities on campus,Ie., a football operations building and an IPF.
or raise the money to purchase the land, so the facilities can be constructed without NIMBY or Elected Official involvement
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Absolutely correct.

Bean Counters do nothing well other than count beans. They do not lead. They do not inspire. They accept the status quo; actually, they relish the status quo. Bean Counters avoid risks at all costs.They avoid anything that costs.

We have endured two for far too long.

The most recent example of a failed Bean Counter as AD: Steve Patterson/Texas.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Eaglewave
Swell

I am Eaglewave and I approve this message!
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:Absolutely correct.

Bean Counters do nothing well other than count beans. They do not lead. They do not inspire. They accept the status quo; actually, they relish the status quo. Bean Counters avoid risks at all costs.They avoid anything that costs.

We have endured two for far too long.

The most recent example of a failed Bean Counter as AD: Steve Patterson/Texas.
interesting post regarding ole Steve Patterson,,,some on this forum think of him as a visionary,,,he hired Charley Strong...Shaka Khan...allowed beer to be sold to the masses at DKR for 7.00 domestic...11.00 import, and that includes Shiner Beer, located 85 miles away...raised Ticket prices across the board...increased the price of parking and tailgating reservations..and then after doing all of this for the fans, he closed his door and refused to communicate...A cry went out..."the gall of this man, let him be shunned from the forty acres"..and the new prez, not yet "formally" hired, fired his azz..now that is someone in touch with his constituents...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

No to Barbara Burke!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Keep her on in the same capacity but NO to her taking over as A.D.!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
OUG
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:Keep her on in the same capacity but NO to her taking over as A.D.!
I'll co-sign that, but with the caveat that the new AD gets final sign-off on whether or not he or she wants her to stay.

That's not because I have any problem with her, but I think anyone coming into a top level CEO job should have their pick of operational leaders working under them.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:Keep her on in the same capacity but NO to her taking over as A.D.!
I'll co-sign that, but with the caveat that the new AD gets final sign-off on whether or not he or she wants her to stay.

That's not because I have any problem with her, but I think anyone coming into a top level CEO job should have their pick of operational leaders working under them.
Again to point out the insanity, anywhere else it would be a given that an athletic director would have the authority to employ who he/she wants, or anyone in any position of leadership for that matter.

So did Burke really not discuss succession planning when she moved her family a year ago? If so, and she felt she would survive any transition or get the head job, then everyone here canand should push the panic button.

If she didn't? Then she's not smart enough for the AAD job either and should be replaced anyway.
JDTulane
Riptide

I doubt she will be the hired replacement (99% doubt). +1 to needing a more qualified candidate.
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:

Again to point out the insanity, anywhere else it would be a given that an athletic director would have the authority to employ who he/she wants, or anyone in any position of leadership for that matter.

So did Burke really not discuss succession planning when she moved her family a year ago? If so, and she felt she would survive any transition or get the head job, then everyone here canand should push the panic button.

If she didn't? Then she's not smart enough for the AAD job either and should be replaced anyway.
You're making a lot of assumptions here. People in these jobs move all the time and they are used to moving every few years. Dickson is the exception in how long he lasted. Additionally, Burke is (by my count) 57 years old. It's entirely possible that she isn't looking to keep climbing the ladder here or elsewhere. The fact is we just don't know, you're just speculating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:

First off Barbara did not move her family down here she moved here alone. Second I wouldn't put it past the Saints pushing her getting the job here. She knew Sean Payton from her Eastern Illinois time. Barbara has worked only at mid-major type programs and will not have connections we need with the major conferences. Tulane can do better. It's a chance to clear the air with fans and alums alike. Plain and simple Tulane needs to do a national search to find it's next AD like they did with Pierce and Fitts.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Hiring Barbara Burke would be the final punch in the gut to long suffering Tulane fans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll add this. Some speculated she made the Pierce hire and of course others then accepted it as gospel and continued to repeat it. Fist off we don't know if it's accurate. Secondly anyone could make a good hire for baseball at Tulane. The program has a long history of success going back 3 coaches. Plus it has the proper facilities in place to succeed.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

winwave wrote:I'll add this. Some speculated she made the Pierce hire and of course others then accepted it as gospel and continued to repeat it. Fist off we don't know if it's accurate. Secondly anyone could make a good hire for baseball at Tulane. The program has a long history of success going back 3 coaches. Plus it has the proper facilities in place to succeed.

Exactly, there has never been any proof she was responsible for hiring Coach Pierce!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
51WaveBG
High Tide

If you hire 2nd level leadership, you can only expect 2nd level results. Look at the last 15 years of TU athletics. We need a sharp, efficient AD, with truly national credentials to bring TU out of the inefficient quagmire that it is in now.
Will it happen? Don't bet money that it will happen!
OUG
Riptide

This isn't an endorsement of her, but one thing I did like about Burke was that when she was at Eastern Illinois, she published the names of the five finalists for every coaching position, so that the media and fans knew who was interviewed and being considered. That's a plus for transparency. Shows she has the right instincts. I don't think she is the right person for the job, but that's a feather in her cap and bodes well for her staying on under some new direction.

Elephant in the room: I worry about her being the AD because with the media rights deals and corporatization of college sports, it's more of a good old boys network than ever before, especially in the Big 12 and ACC. There are only 7 female AD's in all of FBS; none in the B12 I think. She is a female that worked at an FCS school as AD, where media rights were small, and conference realignment was inconsequential. Does being a woman make her unqualified? Not particularly. But it may make her not the right person for where we are right now.
ajcalhoun
Swell

OUG wrote: Does being a woman make her unqualified? Not particularly. But it may make her not the right person for where we are right now.
It might make her politically difficult to pass over for the job.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
OUG wrote: Does being a woman make her unqualified? Not particularly. But it may make her not the right person for where we are right now.
It might make her politically difficult to pass over for the job.
Shouldn't. We've already been there, done that with Sandy B. Need to find the best available person in country and put PC'ness aside.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

No Burke or anyone associated with Dickson. We want a real national search for a young dynamic energetic person with top academic private school experience to take over as our AD. Priorities. Hire football and basketball coaches to put us in the Top 25 every year. Raise two hundred million dollars cash for athletic plant improvements. Double Yulman size,new state of the art 12000 seat basketball arena,track and tennis village on the Goldring site and an eight story indoor state of the art football facility, weight room,academic study rooms etc. and multi story parking on the Rosen site on Claiborne Avenue. . Lastly get Tulane in one of the top 5 conferences.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:First off Barbara did not move her family down here she moved here alone.
TPS, for Tammy’s T-P article on Burke of 6/11/2014 http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... rbara.html she writes:

“Burke, to this day, tries to slow down on Sundays and keep the workload light to honor the traditions. It's easy with no husband or kids or pets to immerse herself completely in work, but Burke tries to manage that.”

So TPS, Burke had no family to bring down with her from Eastern Illinois, is that correct? :?:
waveclem
Surge

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:First off Barbara did not move her family down here she moved here alone.
TPS, for Tammy’s T-P article on Burke of 6/11/2014 http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... rbara.html she writes:

“Burke, to this day, tries to slow down on Sundays and keep the workload light to honor the traditions. It's easy with no husband or kids or pets to immerse herself completely in work, but Burke tries to manage that.”

So TPS, Burke had no family to bring down with her from Eastern Illinois, is that correct? :?:

Good find!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:

Thanks for the quote. I knew that but hadn't seen it in print until today. Much appreciated.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I hope all of you are right. A few things really bother me though. 1) Dickson giving his own timetable on departure and the University showing no sense of urgency to find a replacement when clearly there needs to be an AD in place with a future here to deal with the possible football fallout that could be coming as soon as Saturday afternoon. 2) This is how Tulane seems to operate. Bringing people in that will adhere to the status quo and/or bringing someone in to groom and meet the "important" people before getting the job. It just seems like a such a Cowen/Dickson thing to do. 3) The rumor that she hired Pierce. If she was going to leave when Dickson left why would they let her make the hire instead of Dickson? If they were both hitting the road they would've just let him do it. If she made the hire it signals to me that she was the AD in waiting and allowed to make it because Pierce would be "HER" baseball coach when Dickson left. 4) The many posts on YOGWF that seem to be either accepting of the possibility that she will be the next AD or the lack of those denouncing it. The logical side of my brain says if she wasn't going to be the next AD they would be out beating the bushes this week or at least getting the groundwork going for the search. The actions/words of the Board, President, etc and lack of urgency make me think there is no urgency because they already know who the next AD is and it's her.