We do not want Barbara Burke

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:
We are going to need to be lucky . If we hire Burke as expected and and she can land Babers that's one way to get lucky. Otherwise we are going to likely be hoping that 5th choice candidate shocks the world.
She's the only one who could; and Tulane would have to act fast. Like next week. I see Bowling Green is putting on another show this evening. I know I'll get blasted, but I am more comfortable in her bringing in a quality football coach than I would be in any other hire. I just don't think she's got some finney or teevens up her sleeve to stick us with. But there's a lot more to the job than just this football coaching hire.

As for Fuente, I would just say that he was not some hot commodity when Memphis hired him. They evaluated well.
Babers hired by burke from Texas to coach Eastern Ill. Babers was a position coach. Babers wins as a FCS D I school gets hired by Bowling Green MAC conference FBS. Burke known to have good relations with her coaches gets hired as AD of AAC FBS school Tulane after Dickson fires CJ which leads to Burke hiring Babers to coach Tulane.

Doable. Plausible. Reasonable.

Next up Conroy. Unless of course the new talent learns how to play as a team THIS YEAR.

I think Tulane hired Burke as OOC Knowing full well she had the qualifications to be AD(AD of DI FCS Eastern Ill.) I don't think though it was written. Hey hire her as the OOC (a position that needed be created anyway) and take her out for a test ride before you buy.

One small little thing though, It is possible that Tulane could hire Babers without Burke since Tulane is in the AAC (a step up from MAC) and we could probably double his salary too. With Burke, I think you still have a better chance at it.
Well JTS showing up to start pushing the Barbara Burke narratives is as close to making it official as it gets.

Oh peelezzz JJ, it was a reasonable and accurate post. We all know we are getting stuck with Burke after this exhaustive
national search!

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Mandeville Wave wrote:Im not for Burke by any means, BUT with Burke comes Dino Babers and the dude can flat out coach. He runs a version of Baylor's offense and has won quickly every place he has been.

Where is this a guaranty?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote:Im not for Burke by any means, BUT with Burke comes Dino Babers and the dude can flat out coach. He runs a version of Baylor's offense and has won quickly every place he has been.
Unless Babers has no other upward options, or unless he has some deep relationship with BB, he's not going to take the job.

It's as if people think that Dickson is the only reason every credible coach has declined for going on 10 years.
LOL- already twisting things to fit your narrative should we get a good coach. And you're really sinking low this time.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Unless Babers has no other upward options, or unless he has some deep relationship with BB, he's not going to take the job.

It's as if people think that Dickson is the only reason every credible coach has declined for going on 10 years.
LOL- already twisting things to fit your narrative should we get a good coach. And you're really sinking low this time.
Am I sinking low or am I recounting every revenue sport coaching search for the last decade?
TU23
High Tide

Every coach who could actually coach has done well at Tulane: Larry Smith, Mack Brown, Tommy Bowden/Rich Rod. The guys who have failed at Tulane in recent history were not successful either before or after. Greg Davis had to go back and ride Mack's coat tails. Buddy Teevens suckered Stanford into hiring him after he coached under Spurrier and he failed again. Scelfo was nothing before and he'll be nothing going forward. Toledo was ousted from UCLA and we threw him a life line after only one year back as a coordinator at New Mexico.

Is this the best job in the NCAA? Far from it. Is it the worst? Far from it. This job is VERY close to what it was in terms of personnel when Bowden took over: experienced team with an experienced and talented but under performing QB. Some decent skill players come back with a lot of experience and there's some experience and talent on the defense. Factor in the easier schedule next year and a real coach could come in and win 8-9 games in year 1. that's why it was imperative to get rid of CJ now. The next guy could actually be set up to do well. But he's got to be the right guy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TU23 wrote:Every coach who could actually coach has done well at Tulane: Larry Smith, Mack Brown, Tommy Bowden/Rich Rod. The guys who have failed at Tulane in recent history were not successful either before or after. Greg Davis had to go back and ride Mack's coat tails. Buddy Teevens suckered Stanford into hiring him after he coached under Spurrier and he failed again. Scelfo was nothing before and he'll be nothing going forward. Toledo was ousted from UCLA and we threw him a life line after only one year back as a coordinator at New Mexico.

Is this the best job in the NCAA? Far from it. Is it the worst? Far from it. This job is VERY close to what it was in terms of personnel when Bowden took over: experienced team with an experienced and talented but under performing QB. Some decent skill players come back with a lot of experience and there's some experience and talent on the defense. Factor in the easier schedule next year and a real coach could come in and win 8-9 games in year 1. that's why it was imperative to get rid of CJ now. The next guy could actually be set up to do well. But he's got to be the right guy.
whoever the "right guy" is, better be ready to grab some facemask's and kick some azz... This team is in need of some "rude awakening" discipline, not I wanna be your buddy of BFF krap
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jonathan
Riptide

Do not dictate to us who we do not want. If Barbara fires CJ I would give her high consideration.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:Do not dictate to us who we do not want. If Barbara fires CJ I would give her high consideration.
CJ got let go on Wed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

President Fitts , our board and AD selection committee will select the best candidate as AD. We have no input on the selection. Just all talk and on this board.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Do not dictate to us who we do not want. If Barbara fires CJ I would give her high consideration.
CJ got let go on Wed.
Thanks for that. The Yoggies are still waiting for something official. :roll:
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jonathan wrote:President Fitts , our board and AD selection committee will select the best candidate as AD. We have no input on the selection. Just all talk and on this board.
Actually, we do. We have an alumni representative on the Board, and she IS part of the selection committee. Jenny Kottler.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

Put and Babs would make a good team. If Babs gets the job than you would lose that combo.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Have any legit names surfaced or are yall still just spit-balling and naming who yall would like to see as the new hc?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just wanted to say I want Barbara Burke to stay on as COO. I think she'd be a asset to TD going forward.
She has to feel bad but I respect that she attended today and wants Tulane to have great success. After hearing TD I believe he wants her to stay around.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Just wanted to say I want Barbara Burke to stay on as COO. I think she'd be a asset to TD
She has to feel bad but I respect that she attended today and wants Tulane to have great success. After hearing TD I believe he wants her to stay around.
There is no doubt that TD was "recruiting" BB during the press conference. If she is anywhere near capable of being the lead of a D1A athletic department and she stays on it would be a bonus.

But you would have to wonder if that avenue is still open. She obviously wanted the head job and it's now obvious that Cowen sold that to her when he hired her 18 months ago. Given that the opportunity is now gone you might think she's be leaving for the first opportunity to lead her own department, D1A or not.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Just wanted to say I want Barbara Burke to stay on as COO. I think she'd be a asset to TD going forward.
There is no doubt that TD was "recruiting" BB during the press conference. If she is anywhere near capable of being the lead of a D1A athletic department and she stays on it would be a bonus.

But you would have to wonder if that avenue is still open. She obviously wanted the head job and it's now obvious that Cowen sold that to her when he hired her 18 months ago. Given that the opportunity is now gone you might think she's be leaving for the first opportunity to lead her own department, D1A or not.
True.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Agreed, she's gone. I truly wish her well, I do believe she wants to win. I hope she can stay for a year or so then gets her shot.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was asked by people in the know who I trust to start this thread and fade the heat for it. I did both. I once again got calls from some in charge trying to get me to take it down. I refused. I stand by the thread and am proud of it. It helped to serve notice to Tulane that we wouldn't stand for anything less than a clean break. I'm fine if she stays in her current role but that's not what this thread was ever about.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dupergreenie
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Just wanted to say I want Barbara Burke to stay on as COO. I think she'd be a asset to TD going forward.

I would not blame her one bit for moving on. She was/is a wonderful asset to the Tulane athletic department. She was not happy with the direction of the department and I think the program would be in good hands had she gotten the job.

I am very happy with the hire we made and I think BB will work very hard to 'right this ship' until a better opportunity comes along.
DrBox
Riptide

I believe that Burke would have been a good AD; and I do not think that she was a Cowen/Dickson sycophant. She was hired by Hertz and Glazer.
But she would have started with a big credibility gap. It would have given the appearance of "same old". And Win's thread so-informed the Committee that there would be a credibility gap; and that that needed to be a factor in its decision.
I hope she stays through the school year, to help the new AD properly vet what looks to be three coaching searches. (did you read his comments on Conroy on the other site? ).
On a related matter, there was a lot of word that Wilson center employees did not like Burke. This, I considered a plus on several levels. It indicated independence from "no accountability" Dickson. There also needed to be a new discipline from top to bottom. I know some are great employees. I'm sure we'll see some movement over the next 6 months.
Our relationship with media has been less than exemplary...to name one area of improvement.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:I believe that Burke would have been a good AD; and I do not think that she was a Cowen/Dickson sycophant. She was hired by Hertz and Glazer.
But she would have started with a big credibility gap. It would have given the appearance of "same old". And Win's thread so-informed the Committee that there would be a credibility gap; and that that needed to be a factor in its decision.
I hope she stays through the school year, to help the new AD properly vet what looks to be three coaching searches. (did you read his comments on Conroy on the other site? ).
On a related matter, there was a lot of word that Wilson center employees did not like Burke. This, I considered a plus on several levels. It indicated independence from "no accountability" Dickson. There also needed to be a new discipline from top to bottom. I know some are great employees. I'm sure we'll see some movement over the next 6 months.
Our relationship with media has been less than exemplary...to name one area of improvement.
Kushner reported specifically that Burke was a Cowen hire, which was notable because it was clearly bizarre for a President to hire a direct report to the AD. It would not have only given the apperance of "same old", it would have guaranteed "same old".

I do wonder whether the internal department dislike of Burke was related to her being "not Dickson" and actually expecting work and results, but impossible to speculate from the outside.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:I believe that Burke would have been a good AD; and I do not think that she was a Cowen/Dickson sycophant. She was hired by Hertz and Glazer.
Kushner reported specifically that Burke was a Cowen hire, which was notable because it was clearly bizarre for a President to hire a direct report to the AD. It would not have only given the apperance of "same old", it would have guaranteed "same old".

I do wonder whether the internal department dislike of Burke was related to her being "not Dickson" and actually expecting work and results, but impossible to speculate from the outside.
And I just wonder where you get your information?
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Well, as I noted, it came directly from Scott Kushner, who has been the most reliable source of Tulane athletics info for the past decade.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Well, as I noted, it came directly from Scott Kushner, who has been the most reliable source of Tulane athletics info for the past decade.
Ok you drop a bomb that people in the athletic department don't like Barbara Burke and you don't reference it? I would love to see that.
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Ok you drop a bomb that people in the athletic department don't like Barbara Burke and you don't reference it? I would love to see that.
I didn't drop that "bomb". So feel free to call whoever else dropped that "bomb" names.