Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
OUG wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Well, we now can understand why Brian Wickstrom has been interviewed.

2006-2011 -- (upper levels of Athletic Administration at UTEP)

AND

2004-2007 -- Eric Price is OC at UTEP.

Enough said.
I don't think that means what you think it means. There's always going to be overlap.

An OC is not going to be able to get a guy an interview for an AD job. And one year of overlap? That's pretty thin gruel.

There aren't many places where you get influence in hiring your boss' boss. This feels like we're grasping at straws. The Payton stuff is at least believable.
In a national search of potential candidates, with all the major schools available, you're going to tell me that its just coincidence that Wickstrom has a connection? You're not seeing the full picture. Yes, EP was only there for one year, BUT HIS FATHER, Mike Price, (RD's BFF) was there all the way until 2012, and he's got ties with Dickson all the way back to the Washington State days.

You say that's coincidence? I call it BS.
It's pretty thin. Just knowing people or overlapping tenures is common in the business.

RobertM320
Green Wave

You really don't think MP and RD have talked and MP said, I know you're leaving. Take a look at my friend Wickstrom over at ULM? That's really reaching? The way Tulane does things, I don't think so. Especially if they're looking for someone they can control. Dickson pulls strings and in exchange the Board controls him, because they love Dickson.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:You really don't think MP and RD have talked and MP said, I know you're leaving. Take a look at my friend Wickstrom over at ULM? That's really reaching? The way Tulane does things, I don't think so. Especially if they're looking for someone they can control. Dickson pulls strings and in exchange the Board controls him, because they love Dickson.
Of course "take a look at my friend" happened. But Dickson is not the search committee and they don't need an outside candidate if they want someone they can control, hence Burke and Sidwell.

It doesn't matter if a personal connection can get someone an interview. The problem is when a personal connection, and one which is not in the best interests of Tulane, gets a candidate blackballed, a la Benson/Fielkow.
Wavetime
Swell

Has anyone heard any feedback from any interviews?
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
OUG wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Well, we now can understand why Brian Wickstrom has been interviewed.

2006-2011 -- (upper levels of Athletic Administration at UTEP)

AND

2004-2007 -- Eric Price is OC at UTEP.

Enough said.
I don't think that means what you think it means. There's always going to be overlap.

An OC is not going to be able to get a guy an interview for an AD job. And one year of overlap? That's pretty thin gruel.

There aren't many places where you get influence in hiring your boss' boss. This feels like we're grasping at straws. The Payton stuff is at least believable.
In a national search of potential candidates, with all the major schools available, you're going to tell me that its just coincidence that Wickstrom has a connection? You're not seeing the full picture. Yes, EP was only there for one year, BUT HIS FATHER, Mike Price, (RD's BFF) was there all the way until 2012, and he's got ties with Dickson all the way back to the Washington State days.

You say that's coincidence? I call it BS.
They worked together for a year. Wickstrom was a mid-level administrator. People know hundreds of people in this business because people move from school to school a lot. You could do 6 degrees of separation with anyone. But OC's don't hire AD's.

This is reaching. Our criticisms have to be credible or the whole forum is going to elicit nothing but eyerolls from Hertz and company. Do we want to be taken seriously or not?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We are taken seriously We got Toledo fired. I agree it's a reach in this instance but based on Tulane's athletic history a poster can't be blamed for thinking it. I'll add that I would take him over Burke or Sidwell.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Yes I want us to be taken seriously. But RD and Mike Price go way back, and MIKE Price worked with Wickstrom for 6 years, not one. That's enough history to worry me. How do we know that the Board didn't ask Rick if he had any suggestions on his replacement? Do you really consider that out of the realm of possibility? If nothing else, its someone from the outside that they can interview for appearances sake, and yet have no intention of choosing. We know their smoke and mirrors routine, and yet you really think I'm that far off base?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:Yes I want us to be taken seriously. But RD and Mike Price go way back, and MIKE Price worked with Wickstrom for 6 years, not one. That's enough history to worry me. How do we know that the Board didn't ask Rick if he had any suggestions on his replacement? Do you really consider that out of the realm of possibility? If nothing else, its someone from the outside that they can interview for appearances sake, and yet have no intention of choosing. We know their smoke and mirrors routine, and yet you really think I'm that far off base?
We KNOW they have asked RD for his input, but thinking that the father of the offensive coordinator's prior working relationship with a candidate is cause for alarm is a leap too far.

You are correct to be looking out for conspiracy theories, because those are now the norm at Tulane, but this isn't one worth worrying about.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Benson gives a bunch of $, the wife joins the board then we hire an employee from a tier II public school 2000 miles away and she just so happens to work for the Saints HC's alma mater. Curious. As if we had a national search to hire Burke instead of just what the insiders recommended. It's so polluted folks. We r screwed imho. I hope i am wrong.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:Benson gives a bunch of $, the wife joins the board then we hire an employee from a tier II public school 2000 miles away and she just so happens to work for the Saints HC's alma mater. Curious. As if we had a national search to hire Burke instead of just what the insiders recommended. It's so polluted folks. We r screwed imho. I hope i am wrong.
That's exactly right. Now please let us know what they teach in business school regarding how shareholders can push back against corruption in corporate governance.
ExileWave
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Benson gives a bunch of $, the wife joins the board then we hire an employee from a tier II public school 2000 miles away and she just so happens to work for the Saints HC's alma mater. Curious. As if we had a national search to hire Burke instead of just what the insiders recommended. It's so polluted folks. We r screwed imho. I hope i am wrong.
That's exactly right. Now please let us know what they teach in business school regarding how shareholders can push back against corruption in corporate governance.
Unfortunately, we are NOT shareholders. Stakeholders at best for some insane reason. Tulane can do what it wants to without advising or consulting fans or alumni. Our only recourse is to stop contributing, stop going to games, and if our insanity has not overtaken logic, find a new team to follow like Alabama or Oklahoma. It would make Saturdays a lot more fun.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ExileWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Unfortunately, we are NOT shareholders. Stakeholders at best for some insane reason. Tulane can do what it wants to without advising or consulting fans or alumni. Our only recourse is to stop contributing, stop going to games, and if our insanity has not overtaken logic, find a new team to follow like Alabama or Oklahoma. It would make Saturdays a lot more fun.
That's not the case. Board members have a fiduciary duty to act on behalf of the best interests of Tulane's stakeholders.

Board members of for-profit entities do no have to "advise or consult" shareholders, but they also aren't allowed to act against the interests of those shareholders. It is not legal for the actions of Board Members (of any kind) to "overtake logic", to paraphrase your description. It's the same thing.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
That's not the case. Board members have a fiduciary duty to act on behalf of the best interests of Tulane's stakeholders.

Board members of for-profit entities do no have to "advise or consult" shareholders, but they also aren't allowed to act against the interests of those shareholders. It is not legal for the actions of Board Members (of any kind) to "overtake logic", to paraphrase your description. It's the same thing.
God Bless Everyone!
Show Me
Tsunami

This search is a nightmare. The buffoons on the board have no business doing interviews. They have no clue about running an athletic department. We will end up with Burke or Sidwell with this so-called national search.
Only at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Posted by Baywave ( who thinks EC is the greatest thing since sliced bread) on the other site:

"+100. Some of the nervous Nellies (especially on the other board) that hate CJ (and EC for that matter) more than a potential RD doppelganger should just line up for their medicine and voice enthusiastic support for BB. She will start immediately.

Back to figuring out if Tulane will punt on third down tonight.....(JUST KIDDING. We need some laughter around here.)"

Just b/c people clearly see they should be fired doesn't mean they hate anyone.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

More idiocy from baywave:

"Friend, Who knows? I was really referring to Hertz making it clear that timeline for evaluating any coaches at Tulane has always been at the end of the season (with obvious exception of Toledo.) In this case hiring of a new AD would not impact that policy. So I was simply saying root for BB if you don't want incumbent admins to hire any new coaches (not that there are any open positions )in the meantime. Nothing more than that."

No one has ever said they are worried that the current administration will do the hiring. That's not going to happen.
Wavetime
Swell

I don't know anything about Ms. Burke, or any of the other candidates. However, we strive to be like Baylor or Auburn. No need to say anything more (unless those two candidates are just not qualified, but if that's the case they wouldn't have interviewed. The ULM guy is a career builder. Read up on him, he was up for a job last year and removed himself (which means he didn't get it). So, if he's the choice then he will be looking for a P5 job soon after the ink is dry.

If we do get "stuck" with Burke, hey, it can't be worse than RD. However, she really shouldn't be on the list.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

You are making yourself look like a fool. You're admitting that you are ignorant, and that's irrespective of whether I'm right or wrong.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:
If we do get "stuck" with Burke, hey, it can't be worse than RD. However, she really shouldn't be on the list.
Dude, you are missing the point. If we are "stuck" with Burke, the reason is because we are also "stuck" with Cowen/Dickson, who would remain firmly in control of Tulane Athletics.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looks like even lame duck Dickson will be able to fire CJ after this one.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenGears
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:Looks like even lame duck Dickson will be able to fire CJ after this one.
Haha, Don't ever underestimate incompetence at Tulane Athletics.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:This search is a nightmare. The buffoons on the board have no business doing interviews. They have no clue about running an athletic department. We will end up with Burke or Sidwell with this so-called national search.
Only at Tulane.
ExileWave is right. There is nothing we can do about our out of control board--there are no fiduciary responsibilities that can be applied here. Our only option is to quit giving them money, and walk away until it changes.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:This search is a nightmare. The buffoons on the board have no business doing interviews. They have no clue about running an athletic department. We will end up with Burke or Sidwell with this so-called national search.
Only at Tulane.
ExileWave is right. There is nothing we can do about our out of control board--there are no fiduciary responsibilities that can be applied here. Our only option is to quit giving them money, and walk away until it changes.
Maybe, maybe not.

I just wish there was a law firm full of Tulane grads that would try.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I will say this: I was on my way home from my nephew's wedding tonight, so I didn't get to hear the game. Once I heard the score I turned to 100.3 ESPN radio and they were carrying the TCU-Oklahoma game. After a few minutes of listening to it, I began to realize what enjoying college football should be like. And for the first time in my life, I could actually see myself finding another team to support and completely walking away from Tulane.

Having been born and raised in NOLA, as a Tulane fan, as well as getting my degree there, I felt a tremendous amount of sadness when I realized, I just dont care anymore.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Only at Tulane.
Maybe, maybe not.

I just wish there was a law firm full of Tulane grads that would try.
I wish there was also, but I don't see it happening. The best blueprint of a revolt at a private university may be at Baylor. I can't say I know the details, but they had a revolt (from alums and fans) about five or six years ago, and look where they are now.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana