Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Show Me wrote:If Burke is hired than 99% of the remaining fan base will believe the fix is in. Already some media believe this. It's hard to believe a national search told us the best AD candidate has been sitting down the hall from Dickson all this time that was hired by Scott Cowen. :roll:
Tulane will hire Burke because it will be cheap. She can get a little bump in salary as AD. Tulane can than promote from within someone cheap for her old COO job and then go from there. Credit Sader and JJ for predicting this 18 months ago when Cowen brought her in to keep control of the athletic dept. The fix is in my friends.
This is disgusting.

What else would anyone expect from this bunch of lying and deceptive dimwits that run Tulane?

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DrBox
Riptide

alumniwave wrote:Check this video out from EIU when Burke hired Babers. This is how coaches react after working with her. Also, her transparent ideas include naming all applicants by name to the public through the entire process. No hidden agenda's. Things will change at Tulane.

http://youtu.be/e7FLDVVnhVI
Yes I posted that on yogwf. You can listen to that and see that she knows more about hiring coaches than Dickson could ever think of.
It could be that they went out and hired someone competent. She had no ties to any of these people.
Still, the challenge with Burke is that she gives the appearance of being the insider candidate.
The real insider candidate was Sidwell. He didn't make the cut (not surprisingly, some are characterizing axing the real insider candidate as "the fix is in"). And a lot of these P5 ADs just don't vet well. I'm impressed with the Baylor guy because it's Baylor (small private school) and we can see a massive transformation of their program during his tenure; and because he worked under McCaw, who worked here and we know is capable. The Auburn guy? Not so much, imo.

On a side note, we get more funding from the Tampa Bay Bucs than we do from the Saints. If we'd just build our own IPF.....
Aegis
High Tide

Enjoyed the video, what a stark contrast between Burke, Babers at the mic versus Dickson, Johnson.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aegis wrote:Enjoyed the video, what a stark contrast between Burke, Babers at the mic versus Dickson, Johnson.
A plus one from me... after viewing that video and comparing it to the RD's she is light years different... If I understood correctly the citizens of the community, not only the population of the University, had an opportunity to have a QA open type forum. with each coach that was brought to EIU for an interview...what a contrast to the cloak and dagger krap that Tulane put's on. Tulane better get their head out of their azz and fast, the sand in the hour glass is getting real low..each day that passes, the hammer hit's a another nail in the coffin, or in this case the Yulman
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote: This helps explain why we're in the mess we're in. You say this as if it's a somehow a viable option, much less a palatable one. As if university Presidents aren't just employees, but unchecked emperors who still should be able to unilaterally choose the university's senior administration years after "retirement".

It's absolutely a conspiracy. It's absolutely inappropriate. Someone unaffiliated with Tulane sent me a message today saying "Unbelievable. A major organization run like a dysfunctional family business". That about sums it up. There are supposed to be corporate governance mechanisms in place to ensure such madness can't happen.

I know nothing of Ms. Burke, but I know that she made her career bet by getting into bed with Cowen, and as they say when you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas.
JJ, here's the problem with your posts: MOST of us agree with a whole lot of what your saying. But when you repeat it in a FEW DOZEN POSTS DAILY it gets old. Fast. You've talked about your conspiracy theories and fiduciary responsibilities neglected until the cows come home. Talk is cheap. Broken records are cheaper. If you truly believe this to be true TAKE ACTION.

I'm part of a very small minority of Tulane alumni that actually cares a whole lot about Tulane Athletics. Saying I'm part of the problem, when I'm as angry and pissed off as anyone, and more than most, is ludicrous.

Go back and count how many times you said basically the same thing in various threads yesterday. Then venture a guess as to how often you've posted the same things over the last year, two and five years. It's no longer an effective message. Similar to sleeping with dogs, spewing $hit is bound to leave a bad taste in your mouth and having those around you backing away and getting as far from you as possible. Doing it over and over and over and over and over and over again will leave you isolated. That's true regardless of whether your talking Tulane Athletics or World Trade Center conspiracies. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. TAKE ACTION.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Yes I posted that on yogwf. You can listen to that and see that she knows more about hiring coaches than Dickson could ever think of.
It could be that they went out and hired someone competent. She had no ties to any of these people.
Still, the challenge with Burke is that she gives the appearance of being the insider candidate.
The real insider candidate was Sidwell. He didn't make the cut (not surprisingly, some are characterizing axing the real insider candidate as "the fix is in"). And a lot of these P5 ADs just don't vet well. I'm impressed with the Baylor guy because it's Baylor (small private school) and we can see a massive transformation of their program during his tenure; and because he worked under McCaw, who worked here and we know is capable. The Auburn guy? Not so much, imo.

On a side note, we get more funding from the Tampa Bay Bucs than we do from the Saints. If we'd just build our own IPF.....
That might be happening with the athletic village and you just not know it. When Goldring originally donated the property it was 13 acres. I did the square feet math and based off of what other schools have done you could squeeze a tennis center with indoor and outdoor courts, an outdoor track with soccer field/foot practice field in it, an indoor track and practice facility like what Marshall, Vandy, Kentucky, and abunch of smaller northern schools, a replacement for the wilson center (so you could tear the wilson center down and have more roome to expand Yulman), and atleast 1 and 1/2 outdoor practice fields and possibly 2. That was feasible with the 13 acres, but according to Tulane's website that property is now 17 acres. If Tulane has bought the 4 acres right beside it it would make anything possible because that piece of property is mostly square and is enough room for 3.5 full 120 yard football fields.
Seven years ago William "Bill" Goldring donated 13 acres of land off of Jefferson Highway to Tulane University.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... hropi.html
Iris Avenue/Goldring Property: This 17 acre parcel of land lies two miles from the uptown campus (just outside of Orleans Parish) and is currently undeveloped. The university has explored its use as recreational fields and use for athletic venues.
https://tulane.edu/master-plan/campuses.cfm

So there is a very good possibility that is the case. RD is suppose to announce the Olympic/athletic village in the spring before he retires and I read that it should be ready by the 2018 season. Fitts is currently doing a survey on what Tulane needs for campus improvements and is suppose to announce a new campus (including all property that Tulane owns) sometime in the next year or so. In the second link there is a contact option send them an email saying as a fan and alum you demand a football operations center and indoor practice facility be part of the olympic village, or you could sit here on a message board crying like a baby and listening to some wacko that thinks you can sue a BOA for bad hire ( :lol: ).
Last edited by LSU-MD on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just heard from a reliable source that Tulane will announce it's new AD next Wednesday or Thursday.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Just heard from a reliable source that Tulane will announce it's new AD next Wednesday or Thursday.
Makes sense. That will give them time to push CJ out of the way and for that to settle down a bit.
TU23
High Tide

The problem with next Wednesday or Thursday is that there are coaching interviews taking place now. They have to move faster. I don't care if it's a holiday week. That's a bullshit excuse to slow the process down. Make a decision and live with it. The timeline should go like this....CJ fired on Friday after the game or Saturday. New AD announced Sunday (who cares if it's a weekday?). We need to contact potential coaching candidates Sunday night and start interviews ASAP. OR we could do what Arizona did with Rich Rod: target the guy we really want and meet with him in secret and don't leave until he accepts the offer. The new AD is going to know who they want to hire...lets be decisive for once.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If the finalists know who they want, it won't be hard for them to contact the schools right after the season to get permission to talk to the coach. For instance, BB could easily contact BGU and tell them that if she gets the job, she'd like permission to talk to Babers. If she gets permission, could she contact him Sunday night to let him know her interest? Same with the other guys. I'm not sure of the specific rules regarding this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
alumniwave wrote:Check this video out from EIU when Burke hired Babers. This is how coaches react after working with her. Also, her transparent ideas include naming all applicants by name to the public through the entire process. No hidden agenda's. Things will change at Tulane.

Thanks for posting the video. It my opportunity to see Ms Burke in action. An incredible contrast in professionalism to Rick Dickson. I'm not endorsing Burke based on the video, but there is a glimmer of hope. If she is named AD, she gets one shot to get it right, by hiring a Football Coach.

JJ, if she delivers a slam dunk coach, we all should get on board and support the department until Burke and Tulane give us a reason not to, despite her being a Cowen hire.

I can't wait until next week, either way a new era of Tulane Athletics begins. A new AD and a new Football coach. We will finally learn what Mike Fitts is all about in regards to Athletics.
oliveandblue
Surge

The good news is that Tulane can't physically do any worse than they are now. The new AD will be a 100% upgrade.

I bet Tulane knows who they REALLY want - but they are just not saying a word about it. This is the ONE GOOD TIME for the "cone of silence" to take effect. The new AD is probably hitting up their "dream coach".
LSU-MD
Low Tide

The problem with next Wednesday or Thursday is that there are coaching interviews taking place now. They have to move faster. I don't care if it's a holiday week. That's a bullsh*t excuse to slow the process down. Make a decision and live with it. The timeline should go like this....CJ fired on Friday after the game or Saturday. New AD announced Sunday (who cares if it's a weekday?). We need to contact potential coaching candidates Sunday night and start interviews ASAP. OR we could do what Arizona did with Rich Rod: target the guy we really want and meet with him in secret and don't leave until he accepts the offer. The new AD is going to know who they want to hire...lets be decisive for once.
Any of the finalists have a list a mile long. BB is rumored to already be looking over resumes and if she is not hired she is still the #2 in the athletic department. So she would be able to help the new AD with a hire. So wed or thurs of next week announcement is not a bad deal.
JDTulane
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Thanks for posting the video. It my opportunity to see Ms Burke in action. An incredible contrast in professionalism to Rick Dickson. I'm not endorsing Burke based on the video, but there is a glimmer of hope. If she is named AD, she gets one shot to get it right, by hiring a Football Coach.

JJ, if she delivers a slam dunk coach, we all should get on board and support the department until Burke and Tulane give us a reason not to, despite her being a Cowen hire.

I can't wait until next week, either way a new era of Tulane Athletics begins. A new AD and a new Football coach. We will finally learn what Mike Fitts is all about in regards to Athletics.
I enjoyed the presser as well.
JDTulane
Riptide

I'm against an inside hire but I'm not agains a qualified candidate. Hoping for the best with BB, she'll have my support if she's chosen. This is more of hit to Fitts than anyone.

Now go hire us a stellar new fb coach BB and a stellar mbb coack while you're at it. GOOD LUCK.
austxwave
High Tide

If Ms. Burke is hired as the next AD, you do realize this will be consecutive athletics directors who don't wear a tie? Women don't wear ties.

just a clever observation....
LSU-MD
Low Tide

I'm against an inside hire but I'm not agains a qualified candidate. Hoping for the best with BB, she'll have my support if she's chosen. This is more of hit to Fitts than anyone.

Now go hire us a stellar new fb coach BB and a stellar mbb coack while you're at it. GOOD LUCK.
A stellar hire is a must for anybody hired as the new Tulane AD. Another decade of Tulane football and basketball like the RD years and Tulane will be lucky to end up in the sun belt after the next major round of conference expansion. However if you can get a coach or combo of coaches (if one leaves and goes to a bigger job) that averages 8-9 wins and the 3 or 4 conference championships in a decade then Tulane could be sitting pretty. It does appear that Burke knows how to evaluate coaches which is good.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:

I give you plenty of grief for not acknowledging reality, but this one takes things to a new level.

You are claiming that someone currently employed in the Wilson Center for 18 months, hired by the incumbent administration, is not an insider candidate.

That's borderline insanity.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: This helps explain why we're in the mess we're in. You say this as if it's a somehow a viable option, much less a palatable one. As if university Presidents aren't just employees, but unchecked emperors who still should be able to unilaterally choose the university's senior administration years after "retirement".

It's absolutely a conspiracy. It's absolutely inappropriate. Someone unaffiliated with Tulane sent me a message today saying "Unbelievable. A major organization run like a dysfunctional family business". That about sums it up. There are supposed to be corporate governance mechanisms in place to ensure such madness can't happen.

I know nothing of Ms. Burke, but I know that she made her career bet by getting into bed with Cowen, and as they say when you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas.
JJ, here's the problem with your posts: MOST of us agree with a whole lot of what your saying. But when you repeat it in a FEW DOZEN POSTS DAILY it gets old. Fast. You've talked about your conspiracy theories and fiduciary responsibilities neglected until the cows come home. Talk is cheap. Broken records are cheaper. If you truly believe this to be true TAKE ACTION.

I'm part of a very small minority of Tulane alumni that actually cares a whole lot about Tulane Athletics. Saying I'm part of the problem, when I'm as angry and pissed off as anyone, and more than most, is ludicrous.

Go back and count how many times you said basically the same thing in various threads yesterday. Then venture a guess as to how often you've posted the same things over the last year, two and five years. It's no longer an effective message. Similar to sleeping with dogs, spewing $hit is bound to leave a bad taste in your mouth and having those around you backing away and getting as far from you as possible. Doing it over and over and over and over and over and over again will leave you isolated. That's true regardless of whether your talking Tulane Athletics or World Trade Center conspiracies. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. TAKE ACTION.
You say it gets old, but people keep calling me a conspiracy theorist.

You say I don't take action, but its only been 2 weeks since I conducted a fan survey and then used the data in a blog post to address the Board and hiring committee. Did you share that blog post with anyone? OK, thanks for your help. That's just the action I've taken, say, in the last month.

If you don't know who the enemy is, then sorry but you are part of the problem. At most universities, caring about your alma mater is a given. And that reinforces the problem. You don't see a problem with the fact that Cowen took our alma mater and turned it into his personal piggy bank and political soapbox.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Sorry, but I'm not "getting on board". In fact, I'm getting off board.

If you fast forward to the end, I promise Lucy will pull the football away again, whoever BB hires.

Life is too short to care this much about something this crooked. I'll come back around for a minute during football season but not as much.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

oliveandblue wrote:The good news is that Tulane can't physically do any worse than they are now. The new AD will be a 100% upgrade.

I bet Tulane knows who they REALLY want - but they are just not saying a word about it. This is the ONE GOOD TIME for the "cone of silence" to take effect. The new AD is probably hitting up their "dream coach".
Oh it can and will absolutely get worse.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I just watched the entire video and I see it is from December 2011. Dino Babers is very polished, a motivator, a Coach who can inspire. I'm wondering why the in the world didn't Tulane hire Dino Babers in December 2011 instead of CJ. It's an epic fail by Cowen and Dickson.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TU23 wrote:The problem with next Wednesday or Thursday is that there are coaching interviews taking place now. They have to move faster. I don't care if it's a holiday week. That's a bullsh*t excuse to slow the process down. Make a decision and live with it. The timeline should go like this....CJ fired on Friday after the game or Saturday. New AD announced Sunday (who cares if it's a weekday?). We need to contact potential coaching candidates Sunday night and start interviews ASAP. OR we could do what Arizona did with Rich Rod: target the guy we really want and meet with him in secret and don't leave until he accepts the offer. The new AD is going to know who they want to hire...lets be decisive for once.
That's right. That's how a professionally run organization would handle this.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

LSU-MD wrote:

That might be happening with the athletic village and you just not know it. When Goldring originally donated the property it was 13 acres. I did the square feet math and based off of what other schools have done you could squeeze a tennis center with indoor and outdoor courts, an outdoor track with soccer field/foot practice field in it, an indoor track and practice facility like what Marshall, Vandy, Kentucky, and abunch of smaller northern schools, a replacement for the wilson center (so you could tear the wilson center down and have more roome to expand Yulman), and atleast 1 and 1/2 outdoor practice fields and possibly 2. That was feasible with the 13 acres, but according to Tulane's website that property is now 17 acres. If Tulane has bought the 4 acres right beside it it would make anything possible because that piece of property is mostly square and is enough room for 3.5 full 120 yard football fields.
Seven years ago William "Bill" Goldring donated 13 acres of land off of Jefferson Highway to Tulane University.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... hropi.html
Iris Avenue/Goldring Property: This 17 acre parcel of land lies two miles from the uptown campus (just outside of Orleans Parish) and is currently undeveloped. The university has explored its use as recreational fields and use for athletic venues.
https://tulane.edu/master-plan/campuses.cfm

So there is a very good possibility that is the case. RD is suppose to announce the Olympic/athletic village in the spring before he retires and I read that it should be ready by the 2018 season. Fitts is currently doing a survey on what Tulane needs for campus improvements and is suppose to announce a new campus (including all property that Tulane owns) sometime in the next year or so. In the second link there is a contact option send them an email saying as a fan and alum you demand a football operations center and indoor practice facility be part of the olympic village, or you could sit here on a message board crying like a baby and listening to some wacko that thinks you can sue a BOA for bad hire ( :lol: ).
Hey dude, before you go around calling people wackos, you should get a clue. No one has said anything close to "sue a BOA for a bad hire".
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TU23 wrote:The problem with next Wednesday or Thursday is that there are coaching interviews taking place now. They have to move faster. I don't care if it's a holiday week. That's a bullsh*t excuse to slow the process down. Make a decision and live with it. The timeline should go like this....CJ fired on Friday after the game or Saturday. New AD announced Sunday (who cares if it's a weekday?). We need to contact potential coaching candidates Sunday night and start interviews ASAP. OR we could do what Arizona did with Rich Rod: target the guy we really want and meet with him in secret and don't leave until he accepts the offer. The new AD is going to know who they want to hire...lets be decisive for once.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.