Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

breaker wrote:Rather than sitting alone in the top row as she normally does at games (not very AD-like), she was chatting up Dr. Stewart, who is on the selection committee. IMO Dr. Stewart should have distanced himself from her while the process is ongoing.
Thanks.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

From College AD:

Sources have informed College AD that San Francisco AD Scott Sidwell and Louisiana-Monroe AD Brian Wickstrom are no longer candidates for the Tulane athletic director job. Fletcher Mackel of WDSU is also reporting the Sidwell removed himself from consideration. Sources also tell us that the finalist are expected to be interviewed again next week. College AD is working on further confirmation.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I wonder if their use of the singular version "finalist" has any hidden meaning? :)
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

greenie2005 wrote:@FletcherMackel: BREAKING: Scott Sidwell has removed himself as Tulane AD candidate. Focused on continuing great work for USF Dons.
Soooooo the only current candidate is Burke? What a national search. So thorough in their desire to see Tulane succeed. :roll: :roll:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

breaker wrote:Rather than sitting alone in the top row as she normally does at games (not very AD-like), she was chatting up Dr. Stewart, who is on the selection committee. IMO Dr. Stewart should have distanced himself from her while the process is ongoing.
Unless, of course, there never was a process and it was Burke all along.

Which is what any reasonable observer would conclude.
RobertM320
Green Wave

As of Friday, Patulski was interviewing. No report one way or the other on him since. Sidwell and Wickstrom out. Down to either 1, 2 or 3.
JerseyWave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:As of Friday, Patulski was interviewing. No report one way or the other on him since. Sidwell and Wickstrom out. Down to either 1, 2 or 3.

Good news that Wickstrom and Sidwell are out. The Bad news is that they were finalists in the first place. Indicates that this search process did not produce many viable candidates. Patulski on paper is by far the most attractive candidate.
OUG
Riptide

JJ, just want to clarify this on the record in advance:

If we hire someone other than Burke, would that mean you were wrong in anyway, or just that you worked so hard to expose the administration's lies that they had no choice to begrudgingly go with Benedict or Patulski?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

True. I forgot Dr Stewart is on the committee.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
True. I forgot Dr Stewart is on the committee.
and stopped the facebook and twitter messaging !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
austxwave
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
greenie2005 wrote:@FletcherMackel: BREAKING: Scott Sidwell has removed himself as Tulane AD candidate. Focused on continuing great work for USF Dons.
Soooooo the only current candidate is Burke? What a national search. So thorough in their desire to see Tulane succeed. :roll: :roll:
It says "are" not "is", so there are multiple people interviewing still.

With that being said, here are my thoughts...

I have nothing against Ms. Burke and I'm sure she's a good administrator.

If she was promised the AD job when she was hired then why not just say that when RD announced his retirement? Why drag out this process of a a faux, national search?

If she wasn't promised the AD job, and she is one of the finalist, then I'm officially on board with this "national search" having been done poorly. How could an internal candidate with no FBS experience (prior to Tulane) be the best candidate for the job?

A little help with me comprehending this is appreciated...
austxwave
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:I wonder if their use of the singular version "finalist" has any hidden meaning? :)
I quoted the wrong quote in my reply.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:JJ, just want to clarify this on the record in advance:

If we hire someone other than Burke, would that mean you were wrong in anyway, or just that you worked so hard to expose the administration's lies that they had no choice to begrudgingly go with Benedict or Patulski?
Yeah it would mean I was wrong about this process.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

austxwave wrote: If she was promised the AD job when she was hired then why not just say that when RD announced his retirement? Why drag out this process of a a faux, national search?

If she wasn't promised the AD job, and she is one of the finalist, then I'm officially on board with this "national search" having been done poorly. How could an internal candidate with no FBS experience (prior to Tulane) be the best candidate for the job?

A little help with me comprehending this is appreciated...
1) the faux, national search is typical Cowen-playbook to throw people off the scent that he hired the next AD 18 months ago. Plausible deniability.

2) of course the search was done poorly, as it was never intended to produce anything but the candidate already on the job.
RobertM320
Green Wave

austxwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I wonder if their use of the singular version "finalist" has any hidden meaning? :)
I quoted the wrong quote in my reply.

I was being facetious. I know it says "are", but it also uses the singular "finalist". Are you 100% sure which word is truly wrong? Maybe they meant to say the "finalist IS" being interviewed. Don't forget, we are talking Tulane here.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

And
And
"I hope I'm wrong"
come on, you can say it
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Just saving this. Carry on.
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

And
And
"I hope I'm wrong"
come on, you can say it
I hoped I was wrong 10 years ago. I hope I am wrong today.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Just saving this. Carry on.
Cool. Just wondering, do you "save" all the times people called me a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist and I turned out to be right too?
anEngineer
Riptide

Having Barbara Burke sitting at the WBB game and socializing with a member of the committee (Dr. Stewart) is both disheartening and extremely unprofessional. You really have to wonder what goes through the heads of this committee. Don't they ever get tired of the same thing? As for Barbara Burke, why would she want a job where she will be instantly hated by so many? What sort of arrogance does it take to put yourself in that position? If she is that good of an AD, she will have no trouble finding a good job elsewhere. Tulane has been botching these decisions for decades; why not try bringing in someone who has had success somewhere? What do we REALLY know about Barbara Burke's reputation at Eastern Illinois? Were they disappointed or relieved that she was leaving?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote:Having Barbara Burke sitting at the WBB game and socializing with a member of the committee (Dr. Stewart) is both disheartening and extremely unprofessional. You really have to wonder what goes through the heads of this committee. Don't they ever get tired of the same thing? As for Barbara Burke, why would she want a job where she will be instantly hated? What sort of arrogance does it take to put yourself in that position. If she is that good of an AD, she will have no trouble finding a good job elsewhere. Tulane has been botching these decisions for decades; why not try bringing in someone who has had success somewhere? What do we REALLY know about Barbara Burke's reputation at Eastern Illinois? Were they disappointed or relieved that she was leaving?
Of course it's unprofessional and disheartening. Those two adjectives well sum up the Cowen/Dickson era of Tulane Athletics.

Burke was hired for this job 18 months ago, because no one else was going to hire her, and because Cowen thinks he can control her. Just like CJ, and like Conroy, etc.

It's not just that they are botching the decision, but the reckless abandon with which they spend six figures on a dog and pony show that doesn't even give the appearance of a "national search", just so they can keep pi$$ing on alumni, telling them it's raining and please donate to the cause before you get out of the rain.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Burke was hired for this job 18 months ago, because no one else was going to hire her, and because Cowen thinks he can control her. Just like CJ, and like Conroy, etc.
You know, at some point, JJ, you've gone overboard and might be finding that tin foil hat under the bed with the fuzz balls. I agree with a lot of what you say, and am all over this board about Burke being hired as the AD in Waiting 18 months ago, and why we don't like that. But this statement is just too much.

Sometimes I read your posts and think that if we re-hired Sandy Barbour, or Dr. Kevin White, or Chet Gladchuk, you'd find fault in the hire. Ever heard of beating a dead horse? Hiring her as the AD-in-Waiting and going through a farce of a search hardly makes for a headline grabbing conspiracy. It's just Cowen's way of doing things, and controlling the hell hole of an Athletics Program he's ruined at Tulane long after he's not holding the title of President of the University.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
You know, at some point, JJ, you've gone overboard and might be finding that tin foil hat under the bed with the fuzz balls. I agree with a lot of what you say, and am all over this board about Burke being hired as the AD in Waiting 18 months ago, and why we don't like that. But this statement is just too much.

Sometimes I read your posts and think that if we re-hired Sandy Barbour, or Dr. Kevin White, or Chet Gladchuk, you'd find fault in the hire. Ever heard of beating a dead horse? Hiring her as the AD-in-Waiting and going through a farce of a search hardly makes for a headline grabbing conspiracy. It's just Cowen's way of doing things, and controlling the hell hole of an Athletics Program he's ruined at Tulane long after he's not holding the title of President of the University.
This helps explain why we're in the mess we're in. You say this as if it's a somehow a viable option, much less a palatable one. As if university Presidents aren't just employees, but unchecked emperors who still should be able to unilaterally choose the university's senior administration years after "retirement".

It's absolutely a conspiracy. It's absolutely inappropriate. Someone unaffiliated with Tulane sent me a message today saying "Unbelievable. A major organization run like a dysfunctional family business". That about sums it up. There are supposed to be corporate governance mechanisms in place to ensure such madness can't happen.

I know nothing of Ms. Burke, but I know that she made her career bet by getting into bed with Cowen, and as they say when you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas.
Show Me
Tsunami

If Burke is hired than 99% of the remaining fan base will believe the fix is in. Already some media believe this. It's hard to believe a national search told us the best AD candidate has been sitting down the hall from Dickson all this time that was hired by Scott Cowen. :roll:
Tulane will hire Burke because it will be cheap. She can get a little bump in salary as AD. Tulane can than promote from within someone cheap for her old COO job and then go from there. Credit Sader and JJ for predicting this 18 months ago when Cowen brought her in to keep control of the athletic dept. The fix is in my friends.
This is disgusting.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: Cool. Just wondering, do you "save" all the times people called me a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist and I turned out to be right too?
That won't be necessary. You'll remind us.
God Bless Everyone!